Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Georgia Election Case Has Its First Guilty Plea
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's
'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Jul 8, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's 'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Ressa was prosecuted under Philippines law that took effect after story was published
: Maria Ressa's Nobel Peace Prize wasn't enough to convince a court in the Philippines of the merits of her appeal against a "cyber libel" conviction. The court not only upheld the convictions of the Rappler news site co-founder and former staffer Reynaldo Santos Jr., it increased...
'This Is Intimidation'
Jun 29, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
Nobel Peace Prize Winner: 'This Is Intimidation'
Maria Ressa decries ordered shutdown of Rappler in Philippines
- Months after winning a Nobel Peace Prize for her efforts to "expose abuse of power, use of violence, and growing authoritarianism" in the Philippines, Maria Ressa says local authorities have ordered her Rappler news site to shut down. Ressa, a former CNN bureau chief and
Person of the...
It Looks Like a Landslide
for Dictator's Son
May 9, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
It Looks Like a Landslide for Dictator's Son
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. way ahead in early results from the Philippines
- The son and namesake of ousted Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos took a commanding lead in an unofficial vote count in Monday’s presidential election in the deeply divided democracy. With 80% of the votes tabulated, Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had 25.9 million, far ahead of his closest challenger, current Vice...
With New Law,
Mar 7, 2022 8:27 AM CST
With New Law, Philippines Creates 'Line That Adults Cannot Cross'
President Duterte signs bill raising age of consent from 12 to 16 to help prevent sex abuse, rape
- For decades, activists in the Philippines have been lobbying to get a law passed that would raise the age of sexual consent from 12 to 16. Finally, their efforts have paid off. On Monday, the office of President Rodrigo Duterte announced he'd signed a bill into law that officially...
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's
Daughter as Running Mate
Nov 13, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's Daughter as Running Mate
Human rights activists concerned about Ferdinand Marcos Jr./Sara Duterte ticket
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's daughter on Saturday registered her candidacy for vice president in next year's elections and was chosen as the running mate of Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son of the late Filipino dictator, in an alliance that has alarmed human rights activists. Sara Duterte backed out...
on 2022 Election
Oct 2, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Duterte Makes Surprise Call on 2022 Election
Philippine president announces he's retiring, won't run for VP in next year's elections
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday announced he was retiring from politics and dropping plans to run for vice president in next year's elections when his term ends, avoiding a legal battle with opponents who question such a move. Speaking before reporters, Duterte said many Filipinos have expressed their...
Philippine President Says
He's Running for VP
Aug 25, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
Philippine President Says He's Running for VP
But Rodrigo Duterte's daughter might not be sharing the ticket with him
- Tough-talking Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has confirmed rumblings that he will run next year for vice president, in what critics say is an attempt at an end-run around constitutional term limits. The 76-year-old, who is notorious for his crackdown on illegal drugs that has killed thousands of mostly petty suspects,...
Does He Live In?
Jan 15, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Filipinas After Duterte Remarks: 'Which Cave' Does He Live In?
Leader of the Philippines says the presidency 'is not for women' amid rumors of a run by his daughter
- Women in the Philippines aren't terribly happy with their president after remarks made on the possibility of a female leader one day taking his place. In short, Rodrigo Duterte doesn't think it's a good idea, and Filipinas are calling him out on sexism and misogyny for saying...
Duterte: I Gladly Take
Responsibility for Drug Killings
Oct 20, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Duterte: I Gladly Take Responsibility for Drug Killings
Filipino president under investigation for human rights abuses
- The Philippine president has said he accepts responsibility for the thousands of killings committed during police operations in his crackdown on drugs, adding that he was even ready to go to jail, per the AP . President Rodrigo Duterte's televised remarks Monday night were typical of his bluster—and tempered...
Sep 7, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
Outrage Follows Marine's Pardon
Joseph Scott Pemberton killed a transgender woman in the Philippines
- Citing the inmate's good behavior in prison and the need "to do justice," Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte pardoned a US Marine on Monday who was convicted of killing a transgender woman in 2014. The pardon surprised even the inmate's lawyer, the
reports, and brought...
Threatens Martial Law
Apr 24, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Philippines President Threatens Martial Law
'There will be no turning back,' Duterte says
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte angrily threatened to declare martial law after accusing communist rebels of killing two soldiers who were escorting food and cash deliveries during a coronavirus quarantine. Duterte and his Cabinet also approved extending a lockdown in metropolitan Manila and several other cities and provinces to May 15,...
Philippines Is Ending
Security Pact With US
Feb 11, 2020 2:29 AM CST
Philippines Is Ending Security Pact With US
Agreement allowed US forces to train in the country
- The Philippines notified the United States on Tuesday it intends to end a major security pact allowing American forces to train in the country. Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said in a tweet Manila’s notice of termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement was received by the deputy chief of...
Philippines Ready to Evacuate
Workers From Iraq, Iran
Jan 6, 2020 12:11 AM CST
Philippines Ready to Evacuate Workers From Iraq, Iran
Duterte tells military to prepare for deployment
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military to prepare to deploy its aircraft and ships "at any moment’s notice" to evacuate thousands of Filipino workers in Iraq and Iran, reflecting Asia’s growing fears for its citizens amid a potential outbreak of violence in the Middle East....
Over US Sanctions
Dec 27, 2019 5:05 PM CST
Philippines Makes Threats Over US Sanctions
Duterte says two American senators will be refused entry
- The Philippines has barred two US senators from the country and threatened to impose greater restrictions on all visiting Americans over new sanctions. The 2020 spending bill approved by Congress and President Trump last week includes a provision denying entry to the US for anyone involved in the detention of...
Jun 2, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Duterte Reveals His 'Former' Sexuality
'I cured myself,' says the Philippines president
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte—a political hardliner who faces accusations of mass murder —apparently came out as ex-gay during a speech before calling four women to the stage to kiss him, the New York
reports. At the Thursday event in Japan, Duterte also claimed that a gay...
Canada Will Take Back Trash
That's Been Rotting for Years
May 23, 2019 7:59 AM CDT
Canada Will Take Back Trash That's Been Rotting for Years
Rodrigo Duterte threatened to dump it in Canadian waters
- After a dispute that involved a lot of trash talking from President Rodrigo Duterte, Canada has finally agreed to take back scores of containers of trash sent to the country more than five years ago. The 100-plus containers shipped to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014 by a private company...
Trash Shipped to Philippines
in 2013 Leads to Threat of War
Apr 24, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
Trash Shipped to Philippines in 2013 Leads to Threat of War
Duterte is pretty peeved with Canada
- Canadian trash has been sitting at a port in the Philippines for more than five years, and President Rodrigo Duterte wants it gone—or else. Duterte's word choices tend to grab headlines , and this instance is no exception: "I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week...
the Year Just Got Arrested
Feb 13, 2019 8:53 AM CST
People of the Year Just Got Arrested
Philippine journalist and Rappler CEO Maria Ressa is a prominent Duterte critic
- A high-profile journalist detained in the Philippines says President Rodrigo Duterte is trying to silence her. Maria Ressa , CEO of news site Rappler and a 2018 Time Person of the Year alongside Jamal Khashoggi, faces a cyber libel charge stemming from a 2012 article that linked a prominent businessman to...
Philippine President Says
He Molested a Sleeping Maid
Dec 31, 2018 7:21 AM CST
Philippine President Says He Molested a Sleeping Maid
He says a priest gave him 5 Hail Marys
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's comments on the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal have opened up a possible Rodrigo Duterte sexual abuse scandal. In a speech Saturday, the controversial leader recounted how he had molested a housemaid as a teenager after sneaking into her room, the BBC reports. "I...
The Bells We Took After a
1901 Slaughter Are Returned
Dec 11, 2018 5:12 PM CST
The Bells We Took After a 1901 Slaughter Are Returned
The Philippines has wanted them back for decades
- It was the largest slaughter of American troops since Custer's Last Stand 25 years prior: The 1901 deaths of 48 soldiers who were occupying the town of Balangiga during the Philippine-American War. As the AP reports, hundreds of male villagers (and, per NPR , a single female) dressed as women,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.