Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trudeau Calls Early Election,
Banking on Pandemic Record
Aug 15, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Trudeau Calls Early Election, Banking on Pandemic Record
Polls show Canadians support government's handling of COVID fight
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called a national election for Canada to take place in September, though the next vote wasn't required until 2023. Trudeau went through the formality of requesting an election be held in a visit Sunday to Canada's governor general, the representative of Britain's...
May 31, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Trudeau: Atrocity Isn't an Exception
Canadian leaders call for searches at other former Indigenous schools for buried children
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday the discovery of the bodies of over 200 children buried at a former Indigenous residential school is not an isolated event. Trudeau's comments come as Indigenous leaders are calling for an examination of every former residential school site—institutions that held children taken...
Trudeau Swipes at
Trump in Call With Biden
Feb 24, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Trudeau Swipes at Trump in Call With Biden
And more from their virtual meeting, their first since Biden took office
- President Biden’s first bilateral meeting with Canada’s Justin Trudeau since taking office was high on policy, low on pomp, and featured a very large swipe at Biden's predecessor as the coronavirus forced the two leaders to convene virtually Tuesday rather than gathering with customary Oval Office fanfare....
Canada Adds Test
for Arrivals by Land
Feb 9, 2021 5:04 PM CST
Canada Adds Test for Arrivals by Land
Trudeau hints at more coronavirus restrictions for air travelers soon
- As new and more contagious coronavirus variants make their way around the world, Canada plans to impose a new restriction. As of next Monday, people reaching its borders by land will have to produce a negative coronavirus test—taken in the past 72 hours—before being allowed into Canada. Prime...
With 'Greta' Call
Nov 24, 2020 8:11 PM CST
Russian Pranksters Fool Trudeau With 'Greta' Call
'I can certainly understand that people can feel very, very strongly about him,' he said of Trump
- Add Justin Trudeau to the list of those fooled by notorious Russian pranksters Alexey Stolyarov and Vladimir Kuznetsov, aka Vovan and Lexus. They have released audio of a call earlier this year in which they impersonated Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and spoke to the Canadian prime minister, the BBC...
Trudeau: 'This Sucks.
It Really, Really Does'
Oct 28, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Trudeau: 'This Sucks. It Really, Really Does'
'It's going to be a tough winter,' he says
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau summed up 2020 in a single sentence in a press briefing Tuesday: "We are in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic that really sucks," he said. In some parts of the country, new case numbers are now higher than they were during...
Armed Man Drives Through
Gate Near Trudeau Residence
Jul 3, 2020 12:02 PM CDT
Armed Man Drives Through Gate Near Trudeau Residence
Active military member wanted to speak to PM: reports
- An armed member of the Canadian military smashed a truck through gates blocking access to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's residence in Ottawa on Thursday before being taken into custody, according to police. The man, identified by CBC News as Corey Hurren of Manitoba, breached a pedestrian entrance outside Rideau...
for 21 Seconds
Jun 2, 2020 1:23 PM CDT
Trudeau Pauses for 21 Seconds When Asked About US
Justin Trudeau was apparently choosing his words carefully
- Canadian leader Justin Trudeau was apparently choosing his words carefully Tuesday when asked about the unrest in the US —it took him more than 20 seconds to respond to a reporter's question. You can see for yourself in this Yahoo Finance video . Here is how the question was...
Canada Slaps Immediate Ban
on Assault-Style Weapons
May 1, 2020 1:53 PM CDT
Canada Slaps Immediate Ban on Assault-Style Weapons
The country needs 'more than thoughts and prayers,' prime minister says
- Canada is banning the use and trade of assault-style weapons immediately. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday justified the move by citing numerous mass shootings in the country, including an attack in Nova Scotia on April 18 and 19. He announced the ban of over 1,500 models and variants...
at Trump Over
Apr 4, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Germany Hurls Big Accusation at Trump Over N95 Masks
'Methods from the Wild West should not become prevalent,' a German official says
- German officials are accusing the Trump administration of "modern piracy" after 200,000 high-quality masks were apparently seized before reaching Germany, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Seems the N95 masks—sought after by medical professionals for protection against the coronavirus—were made by the US company 3M's factory...
Canada's First Lady
Mar 29, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Canada's First Lady Has Recovered
Sophie Gregoire Trudeau was diagnosed earlier in March after a trip to London
- More than two weeks after being diagnosed with the coronavirus , Canada's first lady, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, says she's got a clean bill of health. "I wanted to give you all an update: I am feeling so much better and have received the all clear from my physician...
US, Canada Just Made a Big
Joint Move on Coronavirus
Mar 18, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
US, Canada Just Made a Big Joint Move on Coronavirus
Border between 2 countries temporarily shut down to 'nonessential travel'
- The US and Canada have agreed to temporarily close their shared border to nonessential travel, President Trump announced Wednesday as the two nations work to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Both countries are eager to choke off the spread of the virus but also maintain their vital economic...
Sophie Trudeau Tests
Positive for Coronavirus
Mar 13, 2020 1:19 AM CDT
Sophie Trudeau Tests Positive for Coronavirus
Canada's first couple now in self-quarantine
- A test has confirmed what Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's wife suspected after she returned from a trip to London: She has been infected with COVID-19. Authorities say Sophie Grégoire Trudeau and the prime minister will self-isolate for 14 days, although Justin Trudeau's office says he is...
Mar 12, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
The Trudeaus Are Self-Isolating
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau returned from a trip feeling ill, is awaiting test results
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, returned from a recent trip to London feeling a bit off. And so, amid the coronavirus pandemic, the couple is taking all precautions, the CBC reports. A press release from the PM's office describes the first lady's...
Canada to Pay Families
of Victims Aboard Plane
Jan 17, 2020 5:25 PM CST
Canada to Pay Families of Victims Aboard Plane
Trudeau says he'll still pressure Iran for compensation
- Canada will offer compensation to families of those killed when Iran shot down a Ukranian airliner to help with travel and funeral expenses, the
reports. The government will offer the families $25,000 per victim — about $19,000 US — and will continue to pressure the Iranian...
Broadcaster Defends Slicing
Home Alone 2
Dec 27, 2019 6:39 AM CST
Broadcaster Defends Slicing Trump's
Home Alone 2
Says move was made in 2014
- The brief Donald Trump cameo in
Home Alone 2
did not appear in recent Canadian broadcasts —and that isn't the kind of thing Trump lets slide.
reports that the president teased Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over the omission Thursday, tweeting : "I guess Justin T doesn’...
Trump Had a Hot Mic
Moment of His Own
Dec 5, 2019 6:56 AM CST
Trump Had a Hot Mic Moment of His Own
'That was funny when I said the guy is two-faced,' he's overheard saying
- Canada's Justin Trudeau will apparently not be apologizing to President Trump over the video in which he and other world leaders are overheard laughing about Trump's impromptu Q&A with reporters at the NATO summit. CNN reports via sources that Trudeau on Wednesday personally spoke to Trump about...
Trump Cancels NATO Presser
in Wake of Mocking Video
Dec 4, 2019 9:05 AM CST
Trump Cancels NATO Presser in Wake of Mocking Video
Trump calls Trudeau 'two-faced'
- The first day of the NATO summit was contentious . The second is no different, thanks to video Tuesday night that appears to show a group of world leaders mocking President Trump, though he was never mentioned by name. The candid moment at the summit reception at Buckingham Palace was caught...
Justin Trudeau Narrowly
Wins Second Term
Oct 22, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Justin Trudeau Narrowly Wins Second Term
Liberal minority government elected in Canada
- Justin Trudeau will remain as Canada's prime minister after Monday's general election—but to pass legislation, his Liberals will have to work with other parties. The CBC reports the party won 157 seats Monday, down from 184 and below the 170 needed for a majority in Canada's...
Voters in Canada Decide
Justin Trudeau's Fate
Oct 21, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Voters in Canada Decide Justin Trudeau's Fate
Prime minister in danger of losing bid for reelection
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau faced the threat of being knocked from power after one term as the nation held parliamentary elections on Monday, per the AP . The 47-year-old Trudeau channeled the star power of his father, the liberal icon and late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, when he won in...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.