Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 5, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Canada Effectively Freezes Handguns
Many of the weapons used in violent crimes are smuggled in from US
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has decided not to wait for Parliament, which is recessed until September, to take up a ban on importing handguns into Canada. A temporary ban will take effect Aug. 19, imposed through regulatory steps, and last until legislators act on Trudeau's full proposal,...
Canada Finds Pope's
Jul 27, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Canada Finds Pope's Apology Inadequate
Trudeau and Indigenous survivors note that Francis didn't mention sexual abuse in schools
- The Canadian government made clear Wednesday that Pope Francis' apology to Indigenous peoples for abuses in the country's church-run residential schools didn't go far enough, suggesting that reconciliation over the fraught history is still very much a work in progress. The official government reaction came as Francis arrived...
Putin Hits Back at
Over Topless Digs
Jun 30, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
Putin Hits Back at Western Leaders Over Topless Digs
'Undressed,' they 'would be a disgusting sight,' Russian president tells reporters
- Russian President Vladimir Putin shot back at Western leaders who mocked his athletic exploits, saying they would look "disgusting" if they tried to emulate his bare-torso appearances, per the AP . Putin made the comment during a visit to Turkmenistan early Thursday when asked about Western leaders joking about him...
Google With a
Jun 26, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
After Ruling, Americans Flood Google With a New Question
Canada has sounded welcoming, but clinics report waits
- Crossing state borders has become a big issue after the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade ruling, but Americans aren't just thinking about driving from Missouri to Illinois or Arizona to California. Google searches for "how to move to Canada from US" jumped 850% in the hour after...
Days After Biden Meeting,
Trudeau Tests Positive
Jun 13, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Days After Biden Meeting, Trudeau Tests Positive
Canadian prime minister spent time with other leaders last week in Los Angeles
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Monday that he's tested positive for COVID-19, days after meeting with President Biden in Los Angeles and months after his first bout with the coronavirus. "I'll be following public health guidelines and isolating," the prime minister posted . "I feel...
Meet Patron, Ukraine's
Latest War Hero
May 9, 2022 10:29 AM CDT
Meet Patron, Ukraine's Latest War Hero
President Zelensky awards Jack Russell terrier a medal for his mine-sniffing work
- A very special awards ceremony was held over the weekend in Kyiv to honor the nation's newest hero amid the Russian invasion: a 2 1/2-year-old dog named Patron, reports the BBC . A medal was bestowed upon the Jack Russell terrier at a Sunday news conference by none other than...
Surprise Deal Will Keep
Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Mar 22, 2022 6:58 PM CDT
Surprise Deal Will Keep Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Conservative Party slams agreement with NDP as a 'power grab'
- Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to stay in power until 2025 after cutting an unexpected deal with the opposition New Democratic Party. Trudeau's Liberal Party fell short of a majority in September's election and it has been relying on the leftist NDP to help pass...
Queen Emerges From
Her COVID Isolation
Mar 7, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Queen Emerges From Her COVID Isolation
Monarch, 95, has first face-to-face meeting since last month's diagnosis
Queen Elizabeth II has apparently weathered her bout with COVID just fine. The 95-year-old, who tested positive on Feb. 20, met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday, which the BBC notes is her first face-to-face meeting since she contracted the virus. She had resumed virtual engagements about...
Trudeau Revokes Use
of Emergencies Act
Feb 23, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Trudeau Revokes Use of Emergencies Act
'The situation is no longer an emergency,' he says
: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is ending the use of the Emergencies, nine days after the 1988 law was invoked for the first time to deal with truckers and their supporters blocking border crossings and occupying parts of Ottawa. "The situation is no longer an emergency,...
It's Over in Ottawa
Feb 19, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Protesters Agree It's Over in Ottawa
Organizers plan to shift to a grassroots movement
- Hundreds of police in riot gear swept through the streets of Canada's besieged capital Saturday, arresting or driving out protesters, towing away their trucks, and finally retaking control of the Ottawa streets in front of the Parliament buildings. With protesters in clear retreat in the largest police operation in...
Canada's Trucker Protest
Inspires a Copycat
Feb 8, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Canada's Trucker Protest Inspires a Copycat
Vehicles clog streets near Parliament in New Zealand
- The Canadian trucker protest over COVID rules shows no sign of letting up, and it's now inspired a copycat protest in New Zealand. NDTV reports that trucks and campervans clogged streets near Parliament in Wellington on Tuesday. Protesters in the vehicles and on foot objected to vaccine mandates and...
Jan 31, 2022 11:17 AM CST
Canada's Trudeau Tests Positive Amid Protests
Prime minister says he's doing fine
- It's safe to say that COVID is front and center on the mind of Canada's Justin Trudeau these days. The prime minister said Monday that he has tested positive but is "feeling fine," in a tweet . "I'll continue to work remotely this week while...
as Protest Begins
Jan 29, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Trudeaus Leave as Protest Begins
Convoy reaches Ottawa, objecting to more than pandemic restrictions
- A convoy that started out to protest mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for truckers reached Ottawa on Saturday, after picking up demonstrators and causes as it crossed Canada. The "Freedom Convoy," which began its trip in British Columbia, now includes people opposed to all pandemic restrictions, many who want Prime...
to Bring Back
Jan 7, 2022 12:29 AM CST
Airlines Refuse to Bring Back Cancun Partiers
Passengers, some of whom have tested positive, are stranded in Mexico
- Passengers who filmed themselves partying without masks aboard a chartered flight from Montreal to Mexico face being stranded after three airlines refused to fly them home to Canada. Sunwing Airlines canceled the return charter flight from Cancun that had been scheduled for Wednesday, the AP reports, and Air Transat and...
Conversion Therapy Bill in
Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Dec 9, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Conversion Therapy Bill in Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Controversial practice that tries to change a person's sexual orientation, identity is now banned
- Conversion therapy is officially outlawed in Canada. A bill making it a criminal offense to provide, promote, advertise, or profit from conversion therapy—used in an effort to change a person's sexual orientation or identity—unanimously passed the Senate "with little debate and no committee study" on Tuesday,...
Justin Trudeau Apologizes
for Ill-Timed Vacation
Oct 7, 2021 12:36 AM CDT
Justin Trudeau Apologizes for Ill-Timed Vacation
He went on holiday during Canada's first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- It was Justin Trudeau's government that designated Sept. 30 Canada's first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation , and yet the country's prime minister did not actually participate in events on that day. Rather, he was on vacation with his family as the country memorialized the children who...
Canada Election Results
Good News for Justin Trudeau
Sep 21, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Canada Election Results Good News for Justin Trudeau
Though not the best news
- Canadians gave Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party a victory in Monday's parliamentary elections, but his gamble to win a majority of seats failed and nearly mirrored the result of two years ago, the AP reports. The Liberals won the most seats of any party. The 49-year-old Trudeau...
Trudeau's Job in Jeopardy as
Canadians Head to the Polls
Sep 20, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Trudeau's Job in Jeopardy as Canadians Head to the Polls
Conservatives want to punish prime minister for holding election during pandemic
- Canadians headed to the polls Monday for the country's second federal election in less than two years—and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's job could be in jeopardy. Trudeau, whose Liberal Party formed a minority government after the October 2019 election, called the election last month , hoping to win...
Protesters Pelt Canada's
Trudeau With Gravel
Sep 7, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Protesters Pelt Canada's Trudeau With Gravel
After he vowed not to be swayed by 'anti-vaxxer mobs'
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is downplaying an ugly moment Monday in which protesters struck him with gravel. "It's no big deal," Trudeau told reporters after acknowledging he got struck on the shoulder while boarding his campaign bus in London, Ontario, reports the CBC . Trudeau, who called...
Trudeau Calls Early Election,
Banking on Pandemic Record
Aug 15, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Trudeau Calls Early Election, Banking on Pandemic Record
Polls show Canadians support government's handling of COVID fight
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called a national election for Canada to take place in September, though the next vote wasn't required until 2023. Trudeau went through the formality of requesting an election be held in a visit Sunday to Canada's governor general, the representative of Britain's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.