Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
His Slaying in Canada Is
Now an International Incident
Sep 19, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
His Slaying in Canada Is Now an International Incident
What we know about Hardeep Singh Nijjar, whose June killing has caused a Canada-India rift
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau startled the international community on Monday with a damning allegation against India—he said Canada was investigating "credible allegations" that the Indian government orchestrated the murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. India denies it, and a diplomatic tit-for-tat is now under way...
Trudeau Accuses India
in Sikh Leader's Killing
Sep 18, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Trudeau Accuses India in Sikh Leader's Killing
Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot by masked men in Canada
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told the House of Commons on Monday that the Indian government ordered the assassination of a Sikh leader this summer on Canadian soil. Hardeep Singh Nijjar, 45, was shot in June while sitting in his truck in a busy parking lot near a Sikh temple in...
It's Splitsville for the Trudeaus
Aug 2, 2023 12:11 PM CDT
It's Splitsville for the Trudeaus
Canada's first couple say decision to separate followed 'meaningful and difficult conversations'
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau are calling it quits after 18 years of marriage. In identical statements posted on their social media accounts, the couple said they had "made the decision to separate" after "many meaningful and difficult conversations," CTV News reports....
Zelensky Confirms Shift in
War: 'Pass This On to Putin'
Jun 10, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Zelensky Confirms Shift in War: 'Pass This On to Putin'
President says Ukraine has begun its counteroffensive against Russia
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that counteroffensive and defensive actions were underway against Russian forces, asserting that his top commanders were in a "positive" mindset as their troops engaged in intense fighting along the front line. The Ukrainian leader, at a Kyiv news conference alongside Canadian Prime Minister...
Premier Twiddles Thumbs as
Trudeau Raises LGBTQ+ Rights
May 20, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Premier Twiddles Thumbs as Trudeau Raises LGBTQ+ Rights
Italy's Meloni suggests Canadian leader was swayed by propaganda
- Italy's far-right Premier Giorgia Meloni on Sunday rejected criticism from her Canadian counterpart at the G7 Summit about her government's stance on LGBTQ+ rights. A reporter asked Meloni about the criticism at a news conference early Sunday in Hiroshima, Japan, which is hosting the annual summit of leaders...
The Canadian PM's
Residence Is a Dump
Apr 13, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
The Canadian PM's Residence Is a Dump
Rodents, asbestos, sketchy wiring and plumbing explains why Justin Trudeau doesn't live there
- The official residence of Canada's prime minister—a 155-year-old, four-floor, 35-room mansion at 24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa—has been vacant since 2015. When Justin Trudeau came into office that year, he opted to move his family into a smaller, two-floor, 22-room home on the grounds of Rideau Hall...
Biden, Trudeau Set to
Announce Immigration Deal
Mar 24, 2023 7:10 AM CDT
Biden, Trudeau Set to Announce Immigration Deal
Biden is visiting Canada for first time as president
- President Biden arrived in Ottawa on Thursday night and he is set to announce a deal with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Friday to resolve an immigration loophole Canada has been seeking action on for years. The agreement will allow each country to turn back asylum seekers that arrive at...
US Shoots Down Craft
High Over Canada's Yukon
Feb 11, 2023 5:11 PM CST
US Shoots Down Craft High Over Canada's Yukon
Trudeau says he conferred with Biden and Air Force acted at his request
- A US F-22 shot down an unidentified object flying at a high altitude over the Yukon territory on Saturday at Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's request. Trudeau tweeted that he'd discussed the matter with President Biden and that Canadian and US aircraft were scrambled after the object was...
NHL Star Blasts
Trudeau on Gun Bill
Dec 6, 2022 1:05 PM CST
NHL Star Blasts Trudeau on Gun Bill
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price calls PM 'unjust': 'I am not a criminal or a threat to society'
- Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, and after the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia—the country's deadliest mass shooting ever, with 22 fatally shot—Bill C-21 came into existence. It seeks to ban the purchase and import of handguns and "assault-style" guns across the...
Xi Publicly Rebukes
Trudeau at G20 Summit
Nov 17, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Xi Publicly Rebukes Trudeau at G20 Summit
Chinese leader accused Canadian PM of inappropriately leaking details of conversation
- An exchange between Xi Jinping and Justin Trudeau at the G20 summit in Indonesia has caused a stir, with Canadian analysts saying the Chinese leader was being "threatening" and Chinese officials accusing Canadians of being "condescending." Xi approached Trudeau Wednesday and accused him of leaking details of...
Aug 5, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Canada Effectively Freezes Handguns
Many of the weapons used in violent crimes are smuggled in from US
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has decided not to wait for Parliament, which is recessed until September, to take up a ban on importing handguns into Canada. A temporary ban will take effect Aug. 19, imposed through regulatory steps, and last until legislators act on Trudeau's full proposal,...
Canada Finds Pope's
Jul 27, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Canada Finds Pope's Apology Inadequate
Trudeau and Indigenous survivors note that Francis didn't mention sexual abuse in schools
- The Canadian government made clear Wednesday that Pope Francis' apology to Indigenous peoples for abuses in the country's church-run residential schools didn't go far enough, suggesting that reconciliation over the fraught history is still very much a work in progress. The official government reaction came as Francis arrived...
Putin Hits Back at
Over Topless Digs
Jun 30, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
Putin Hits Back at Western Leaders Over Topless Digs
'Undressed,' they 'would be a disgusting sight,' Russian president tells reporters
- Russian President Vladimir Putin shot back at Western leaders who mocked his athletic exploits, saying they would look "disgusting" if they tried to emulate his bare-torso appearances, per the AP . Putin made the comment during a visit to Turkmenistan early Thursday when asked about Western leaders joking about him...
Google With a
Jun 26, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
After Ruling, Americans Flood Google With a New Question
Canada has sounded welcoming, but clinics report waits
- Crossing state borders has become a big issue after the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade ruling, but Americans aren't just thinking about driving from Missouri to Illinois or Arizona to California. Google searches for "how to move to Canada from US" jumped 850% in the hour after...
Days After Biden Meeting,
Trudeau Tests Positive
Jun 13, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Days After Biden Meeting, Trudeau Tests Positive
Canadian prime minister spent time with other leaders last week in Los Angeles
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Monday that he's tested positive for COVID-19, days after meeting with President Biden in Los Angeles and months after his first bout with the coronavirus. "I'll be following public health guidelines and isolating," the prime minister posted . "I feel...
Meet Patron, Ukraine's
Latest War Hero
May 9, 2022 10:29 AM CDT
Meet Patron, Ukraine's Latest War Hero
President Zelensky awards Jack Russell terrier a medal for his mine-sniffing work
- A very special awards ceremony was held over the weekend in Kyiv to honor the nation's newest hero amid the Russian invasion: a 2 1/2-year-old dog named Patron, reports the BBC . A medal was bestowed upon the Jack Russell terrier at a Sunday news conference by none other than...
Surprise Deal Will Keep
Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Mar 22, 2022 6:58 PM CDT
Surprise Deal Will Keep Trudeau in Power Until 2025
Conservative Party slams agreement with NDP as a 'power grab'
- Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to stay in power until 2025 after cutting an unexpected deal with the opposition New Democratic Party. Trudeau's Liberal Party fell short of a majority in September's election and it has been relying on the leftist NDP to help pass...
Queen Emerges From
Her COVID Isolation
Mar 7, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Queen Emerges From Her COVID Isolation
Monarch, 95, has first face-to-face meeting since last month's diagnosis
Queen Elizabeth II has apparently weathered her bout with COVID just fine. The 95-year-old, who tested positive on Feb. 20, met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday, which the BBC notes is her first face-to-face meeting since she contracted the virus. She had resumed virtual engagements about...
Trudeau Revokes Use
of Emergencies Act
Feb 23, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Trudeau Revokes Use of Emergencies Act
'The situation is no longer an emergency,' he says
: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is ending the use of the Emergencies, nine days after the 1988 law was invoked for the first time to deal with truckers and their supporters blocking border crossings and occupying parts of Ottawa. "The situation is no longer an emergency,...
It's Over in Ottawa
Feb 19, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Protesters Agree It's Over in Ottawa
Organizers plan to shift to a grassroots movement
- Hundreds of police in riot gear swept through the streets of Canada's besieged capital Saturday, arresting or driving out protesters, towing away their trucks, and finally retaking control of the Ottawa streets in front of the Parliament buildings. With protesters in clear retreat in the largest police operation in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.