Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Crowd's Noise
Morocco Upset Spain
Dec 6, 2022 2:42 PM CST
As Crowd's Noise Became Deafening, Morocco Upset Spain
3-0 victory on penalties sets up match with Portugal or Switzerland
- Morocco on Tuesday became the first Arab nation and only the fourth African nation to advance to the World Cup quarterfinals, beating Spain 3-0 in a penalty shootout. Achraf Hakimi, who was born in Madrid and previously played for Real Madrid, converted the deciding penalty in the shootout. Abdelhamid Sabiri...
Trouble Befalls Man Walking
From Spain to World Cup
Oct 26, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Trouble Befalls Man Walking From Spain to World Cup
Santiago Sanchez may have been arrested in Iran
- A Spanish man trekking from Madrid to Doha for the 2022 FIFA World Cup is believed to be under arrest in Iran, where he went missing more than three weeks ago, his family said Wednesday. "We learned this morning from the (Spanish) foreign ministry that there's a 99%...
'Great Job,' Trump Tells
Spain's Far-Right Party
Oct 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
'Great Job,' Trump Tells Spain's Far-Right Party
Vox leader calls former president a visionary in fight over borders
- Former President Donald Trump threw his support behind Spain's far-right Sunday in a video shown at a rally in Madrid that also featured messages by the leading stars of Europe's populist right, including Italy's Giorgia Meloni and Hungary's Viktor Orban. In a recording that lasted under...
Track Dad Who
Helped Son Finish
Memorable Race Has Died
Oct 5, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Track Dad Who Helped Son Finish Memorable Race Has Died
Jim and Derek Redmond participated in 'one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history'
- Jim Redmond wasn't supposed to be on the track at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. He wasn't even an athlete, yet he played a key role in what the Olympic Committee calls "one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history." Per NPR, Jim Redmond died...
Sep 27, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Shakira Must Stand Trial, Faces Hefty Sentence
Prosecutors want to jail pop star for 8 years over tax-fraud allegations
Pop star Shakira must stand trial in a tax-fraud case that could put her in prison for eight years. A Spanish court on Tuesday ordered the Colombian mega-star to go on trial over allegations of unpaid taxes, reports NDTV . No date has been set. The 45-year-old denies any wrongdoing...
Bear That Fought Off
Attacker Found Dead in Cave
Sep 7, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Bear That Fought Off Attacker Found Dead in Cave
Mother bear battled male to protect cub
- The fate of a bear seen fighting valiantly to save one of her cubs was tragic, but "these are things that happen in nature," says Guillermo Palomero, president of Spain's Brown Bear Foundation. In June, hikers in the northern Castile and Leon region recorded video of the...
Years Later, Gang Rapes Lead
to 'Only Yes Means Yes' Law
Aug 26, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Years Later, Gang Rapes Lead to 'Only Yes Means Yes' Law
Public outcry in Spain had followed infamous court rulings
- Spain's lawmakers, under pressure since an infamous gang rape in 2016, have approved a law requiring that consent to sexual activity be explicit. "It's a victorious day after many years of struggle," said Irene Montero, the nation's equality minister. "From now on, no woman...
Man Set to Stand Trial
Is Euthanized Instead
Aug 24, 2022 9:37 AM CDT
Man Set to Stand Trial Is Euthanized Instead
Marin Eugen Sabau was left a quadriplegic after being shot by police
- Spain permits euthanasia for adults who are experiencing "unbearable suffering" due to incurable conditions—including adults who are accused gunmen awaiting trial, apparently. The BBC reports that Marin Eugen Sabau, 46, has been euthanized in prison, where he has been since allegedly opening fire at his former employer's...
Leads to 'Rare Opportunity'
Aug 20, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Unprecedented Drought Leads to 'Rare Opportunity'
Scientists rush to study 'Spanish Stonehenge,' ancient rock circle emerging as water levels drop
- "Spanish Stonehenge" is back. The Dolmen of Guadalperal, a circle of 150 stones in Caceres believed to be about 7,000 years old, was purposely submerged underwater in 1963, part of Spain's efforts to build the Valdecanas reservoir. Over the years, the rocks occasionally peeked out when weather...
'Violent' Winds Lead to Death,
Injuries at Music Fest
Aug 13, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
'Violent' Winds Lead to Death, Injuries at Music Fest
One person killed, 'dozens' injured after part of stage collapses at Spain's Medusa Fest in Cullera
- The plan for Friday evening at Spain's Medusa Festival, the first night of the six-day event, involved multiple DJs entertaining the crowds across five stages all night long. But that's not how things went down, after high winds caused a portion of the main stage to collapse, killing...
Court: Shooting Defendant
Can End His Life Before Trial
Aug 8, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Court: Shooting Defendant Can End His Life Before Trial
Security guard shot during attack on colleagues is a paraplegic
- A security guard charged in the shootings of colleagues and a police officer is within his rights to end his life before his trial begins, a court in Spain has ruled. Officials say Marin Eugen Sabau, 46, wounded three people at a security company in Tarragona in December, then a...
'Verged on the
Aug 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
After Capsizing, Sailor's Survival 'Verged on the Impossible'
He managed to make it the 16 hours until he was rescued
- A French sailor was rescued in the rough Atlantic on Tuesday after spending 16 hours in his capsized sailboat. The 62-year-old, who'd set sail on his 40-foot vessel from Lisbon on Sunday morning, was 14 miles from the Sisargas Islands off Spain's northwestern Galicia region when he sent...
Dress Like Me
Aug 1, 2022 9:06 AM CDT
Spain's PM to Workers: Dress Like Me
Specifically, go tie-less
- Temperatures hit nearly 97 degrees in Madrid on Friday, and Spain's prime minister instructed men who wear a tie to work to stop doing so as one (very) small way of reducing energy consumption amidst the heat. The BBC reports Pedro Sanchez appeared tieless at a news conference Friday...
3rd Woman Accuses
Body Positivity Campaign
of Stealing Her Photo
Aug 1, 2022 1:51 AM CDT
3rd Woman Accuses Body Positivity Campaign of Stealing Her Photo
The bad press keeps on coming for Spanish campaign
- Add yet another woman to the list of people not happy with a Spanish campaign advocating body positivity . Juliet FitzPatrick, a cancer survivor, says she believes her photo may have been used in the campaign without her permission. She tells the BBC the face on one of the pictures may...
in 2 Days
Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Spain Reports 2 Monkeypox Fatalities in 2 Days
Brazil has reported its first fatality, while WHO official warns of more ahead
- Spain on Saturday reported a second death in as many days from monkeypox. These are believed to be the first confirmed fatalities from the disease in Europe since its recent spread beyond Africa. Both fatalities were young men, the health ministry said, after reporting Spain's first death on Friday,...
Model Has a Complaint
About Body-Positivity Poster
Jul 29, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Model Has a Complaint About Body-Positivity Poster
Nyome Nicholas-Williams says photo of her was taken from Instagram without permission
Add one more gripe to the list of complaints that have been issued (see below) about a Spanish campaign that pushes body positivity. The image shared Wednesday by Spain's equality ministry shows women of various ages and body types at the beach, and one of those women says...
Bull-Running Is Back After
COVID, and So Are the Deaths
Jul 21, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
Bull-Running Is Back After COVID, and So Are the Deaths
3 men die in Spain within 24 hours from 'bous al carrer' events
- COVID put off
bous al carrer
season in Spain for a few years, but bull runs are now back in full force. So are the fatal gorings and controversy. In the Valencia region alone this week, three men died within the same 24-hour period after taking part in bull-running festivals...
Arrests Made in Wine Heist
Planned in 'Millimetric Detail'
Jul 20, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Arrests Made in Wine Heist Planned in 'Millimetric Detail'
Theft happened in Spain, the arrests came in Croatia
- It's being called the "theft of the century," at least in the vinophile sphere. But authorities appear to have finally caught their suspects after a long-haul chase across Europe that involved both Interpol and Europol law enforcement agencies. Police say that a man and woman were arrested...
Man Trying to Save Town
From Wildfire Narrowly Escapes
Jul 18, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Man Trying to Save Town From Wildfire Narrowly Escapes
Spanish man was overtaken by flames while digging trench
- A Spanish man who had been digging a trench to protect his town from a wildfire was hospitalized with serious burns Monday—but video shows that Angel Martin Arjona is very lucky to be alive. Arjona, who owns a construction warehouse, was overtaken by flames in a field near Tabara,...
After 3 Years, Spain's
Running of the Bulls Returns
Jul 7, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
After 3 Years, Spain's Running of the Bulls Returns
Nobody was gored on first day of wildly popular festival
- The first bull run in three years at the San Fermín festival in the Spanish city of Pamplona took place early Thursday. No one was gored, but several runners endured knocks and hard falls as tens of thousands partygoers reveled in the return of one of Europe's most...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.