Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Review Fails to Bring Charges
in Death of Michael Brown
Jul 30, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
Review Fails to Bring Charges in Death of Michael Brown
New prosecutor had launched review of the case
- St. Louis County’s top prosecutor announced Thursday that he will not charge the former police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri—a dramatic decision that could reopen old wounds amid a renewed and intense national conversation about racial injustice and police treatment of minorities. It was...
Ferguson, Mo., Has Never
Had a Black Mayor. Until Now
Jun 3, 2020 7:47 AM CDT
Ferguson, Mo., Has Never Had a Black Mayor. Until Now
Ella Jones also makes history as first female mayor
- Six years after protests swept through Ferguson, Mo., in response to the killing of black teenager Michael Brown by a white police officer, the city is celebrating a step forward. Ella Jones, the first black woman elected to the City Council in 2015, was elected mayor on Tuesday, becoming the...
May 31, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
Protesters Target Confederate Statues
Multiple cities see graffiti attacks
- Protesters took to the streets of cities across America for a fourth night of rallying against the death of George Floyd, and the AP reports that Confederate monuments in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Mississippi were targeted. One at the University of Mississippi was spray-painted with the words "spiritual genocide,...
5 Years Later, Father of
Michael Brown Issues a Plea
Aug 9, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
5 Years Later, Father of Michael Brown Issues a Plea
He wants investigation reopened into the fatal police shooting of his son
- On the fifth anniversary of Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, his father is urging the St. Louis County prosecutor to reopen the investigation into the fatal shooting of the black, unarmed 18-year-old by a white police officer, per the AP . Michael Brown Sr. spoke Friday outside the St. Louis...
Michael Brown's Mother Loses
Ferguson City Council Race
Apr 3, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Mother Loses Ferguson City Council Race
Her son died in 2014 police shooting
- Michael Brown's mother was defeated Tuesday in her bid for a seat on the City Council in Ferguson, Mo., where her son died in a police shooting that helped give rise to the national Black Lives Matter movement. Lesley McSpadden finished third in a three-way race in Ferguson's...
Suicide or 'Lynching'?
A New Ferguson Flashpoint
Nov 1, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Suicide or 'Lynching'? A New Ferguson Flashpoint
Police say it appears Danye Jones hanged himself, but his mother doesn't believe it
- "They lynched my baby." So wrote Melissa McKinnies, an organizer of the Ferguson protests of 2014, upon the death of her 24-year-old son, Danye Jones. Police in St. Louis County, however, say it looks like a suicide. McKinnies' suspicions have since spread across social media, and the story...
Michael Brown's Mother Throws
Hat Into Political Ring
Aug 10, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Michael Brown's Mother Throws Hat Into Political Ring
Lezley McSpadden has announced she's running for Ferguson City Council
- The mother of Michael Brown has announced she's entering the political fray in the St. Louis suburb where her unarmed teenage son was shot dead by police in 2014. In an event organized down the street from where 18-year-old Brown was shot dead by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson,...
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs'
Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
Mar 30, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs' Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
'I was trying to … protect them and this is the result,' neighbor says after fatal car crash
- The search is still on for 15-year-old Devonte Hart and two of his siblings after the SUV they were believed to be in with their adoptive parents and three other siblings went over a cliff in California (those five were found dead at the scene). But it's allegations about...
Michael Brown's Parents'
Settlement Amount Revealed
Jun 23, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Parents' Settlement Amount Revealed
City attorney says they received $1.5M
- The amount of the settlement Michael Brown's parents reached with the city of Ferguson, Mo., didn't stay secret for long. In response to an open records request, the city attorney told the AP the city's insurance company paid $1.5 million to settle the wrongful death lawsuit...
Michael Brown's Parents
Reach Deal With Ferguson
Jun 21, 2017 7:42 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Parents Reach Deal With Ferguson
Judge orders settlement to remain secret
- Nearly three years after 18-year-old Michael Brown was killed by Ferguson, Mo., police officer Darren Wilson, a settlement has been reached in the wrongful-death lawsuit filed by his parents. A federal judge signed off on the civil settlement Tuesday but ordered most of the details to be kept secret, reports...
Protester in Famous
May 5, 2017 11:56 AM CDT
Protester in Famous Ferguson Photo Is Dead
Edward Crawford died Thursday of self-inflicted gunshot wound
- A Ferguson protester seen hurling a police tear gas canister in a famous 2014 photo has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The father of 26-year-old Edward Crawford confirmed he died Thursday, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. According to St. Louis police, a man was in a car with two...
War of Words Breaks Out
Over Michael Brown Footage
Mar 14, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
War of Words Breaks Out Over Michael Brown Footage
No love lost between Robert McCulloch, Jason Pollock
- Protesters have returned to the streets of Ferguson, Mo., in the wake of a new documentary's claim that Michael Brown didn't rob a store before he was shot dead by police in 2014. On Sunday night, three people were arrested outside Ferguson Market & Liquor for assaulting police...
No Robbery Before
Michael Brown Shot Dead
Mar 12, 2017 3:45 PM CDT
Documentary: No Robbery Before Michael Brown Shot Dead
Documentary 'Stranger Fruit' argues teen wasn't robbing convenience store
- The narrative of the last moments of Michael Brown's life tends to begin here: With the 18-year-old allegedly stealing cigarillos from a Ferguson, Missouri, convenience store shortly before he was shot dead by Officer Darren Wilson . Now, a documentary that screened Saturday at South by Southwest in Austin uses...
Well-Known Ferguson Activist
Found Dead in Burning Car
Sep 7, 2016 7:55 AM CDT
Well-Known Ferguson Activist Found Dead in Burning Car
Darren Seals had been shot, St. Louis County cops say
- A Missouri man who became a familiar face in the protests against the Michael Brown police shooting in Ferguson was himself killed Tuesday, St. Louis County police say. The
St. Louis American
reports that officers discovered the body of 29-year-old Darren Seals (the police are spelling his name as "...
Ice Cream Truck
as Outreach Tool
Jul 26, 2016 6:54 PM CDT
Police Add Ice Cream Truck as Outreach Tool
'Operation Polar Cops' is delivering free ice cream in St. Louis
- St. Louis police will have a question to ask as they take their new truck into neighborhoods: One scoop or two? Police Chief Sam Dotson calls it "Operation Polar Cops," a truck that will give away ice cream treats at various events, part of an effort to improve...
Don't Want to Go
Viral: FBI Chief
May 12, 2016 9:24 AM CDT
Crime Spiking Because Cops Don't Want to Go Viral: FBI Chief
So-called 'Ferguson effect' is making police shy away from suspects: James Comey
- James Comey doesn't have quantitative proof, but the FBI director has a hunch as to why there's been an uptick in violent crimes in some urban areas. The "viral video effect" is something he's used in the past to explain the recent spurt of seemingly less-aggressive...
Ferguson After It
Tries to Revise
Feb 10, 2016 6:40 PM CST
Government Sues Ferguson After It Tries to Revise Policing Deal
Ferguson leaders 'have chosen to step backward'
- The federal government sued Ferguson on Wednesday, one day after the city council voted to revise an agreement aimed at improving the way police and courts treat poor people and minorities in the St. Louis suburb, the AP reports. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Ferguson's decision to reject the...
Ferguson Judge: We're
Tossing Out Arrest Warrants
Aug 24, 2015 6:25 PM CDT
Ferguson Judge: We're Tossing Out Arrest Warrants
Judge Donald McCullin announces sweeping changes in Missouri city
- Ferguson's new municipal judge ordered massive changes today in the city's much-criticized municipal court, a move he said is aimed at restoring confidence in the system and easing the burden on needy defendants. Changes announced by Judge Donald McCullin include withdrawing many old arrest warrants; CNN reports that...
New Fatal Police Shooting
Raises Tensions in St. Louis
Aug 19, 2015 6:05 PM CDT
New Fatal Police Shooting Raises Tensions in St. Louis
It came as protesters gathered to mark the anniversary of a different one
- St. Louis police shot to death a black man today who allegedly pointed a gun at officers, raising tensions on a day when protesters were already gathering to mark the anniversary of another fatal police shooting, reports the
. In today's shooting, police say they were serving a search...
Aug 11, 2015 7:50 PM CDT
Presence of Armed Militia in Ferguson 'Inflammatory'
Top police official questions the legality of Oath Keepers
- The return of an armed militia group patrolling the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, drew criticism today from both protesters and the county police chief overseeing security amid demonstrations marking the anniversary of Michael Brown's shooting death. St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the presence of the Oath...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.