Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Stories 21 - 40 |
Evander Kane to Miss Months
After Player Skates Over Wrist
Nov 9, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Evander Kane to Miss Months After Player Skates Over Wrist
Left with a deep cut, Evander Kane says he's still in shock after' extremely scary moment'
- An NHL player was taken to a hospital Tuesday night after an opponent inadvertently skated over his wrist, leaving him with a deep cut. The injury occurred when Evander Kane, a forward for the Edmonton Oilers, fell to the ice during a game at the Amalie Arena in Tampa, CNN...
Young Hockey Player's Past
Bullying Costs Him Again
Nov 7, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Young Hockey Player's Past Bullying Costs Him Again
Boston Bruins rescind contract with Mitchell Miller
- For the second time , a young NHL prospect's history of bullying has cost him a shot at the big leagues. And it's not clear if 20-year-old Mitchell Miller will ever be allowed to play hockey in the NHL. The latest developments unfolded over the weekend, when the Boston...
NHL Has a
to Contend With
Oct 10, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
NHL Has a New Scandal to Contend With
Tampa Bay Lightning suspends Ian Cole after woman alleges he sexually abused her as a minor
- The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenseman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor. The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend...
Jul 5, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Star Goalie's Career Takes Unexpected Turn in Russia
Ivan Fedotov, under contract with Philadelphia Flyers, detained over military service at home
- Ivan Fedotov is a 25-year-old star goalie in Russia who seemed destined to duplicate the feat in the NHL, especially after the Philadelphia Flyers signed him to a contract in May. Now, however, his hockey future is very much in doubt—he was detained last week in Russia as a...
Shows Up at Wrong House
Jun 30, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Stanley Cup Shows Up at Wrong House
Neighbors of Colorado Avalanche's Gabe Landeskog got a memorable surprise
- Lord Stanley arrived at the wrong house in Denver, and the mistake is making headlines. It seems the NHL's famed Stanley Cup (named after the aforementioned lord) was delivered to the wrong address on Monday, reports 9News . It was supposed to go to Colorado Avalanche captain Gabe Landeskog, but...
Stanley Cup Win Ends One
Player's Remarkable Streak
Jun 27, 2022 12:33 AM CDT
Stanley Cup Win Ends One Player's Remarkable Streak
Colorado championship denies Tampa's Patrick Maroon of his fourth straight
- After years of playoff disappointments, the Colorado Avalanche are back atop hockey’s mountain after dethroning the two-time defending champions. Behind a goal and an assist from Nathan MacKinnon, the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup for the third time in franchise history and first in more than two decades by...
Punches Were Thrown
on the Ice—and Then Off
Jun 10, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Punches Were Thrown on the Ice—and Then Off
New York Rangers fan facing assault charges after sucker punch caught on video
- Thursday's hockey game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers ended with punches on and off the ice. Shortly after players traded blows to mark the end of the Lightning's 3-1 victory over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, which put the Lightning up 3-2 in...
May 24, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
Police, NHL Probing Racist Threats Against Nazem Kadri
Colorado Avalanche player says a bottle was thrown at him also
- The NHL said Monday that St. Louis police are investigating threats made toward Colorado Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri, who has been the subject of racist social media posts since he was involved in a collision that knocked Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington out for the rest of the series. Deputy Commissioner...
'We'll Miss You No. 10'
Apr 22, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
'We'll Miss You No. 10'
NHL legend Guy Lafleur is dead at 70
- Last week, Mike Bossy died . Now, another NHL legend is gone: Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur, who helped the Montreal Canadiens win five Stanley Cup titles in the 1970s, has died at age 70, per the AP . That's why the hashtag #RIP Flower was trending on Twitter Friday, a...
China's Hockey 'Ringers'
Lose 8-0 in Olympic Debut
Feb 11, 2022 12:04 PM CST
China's Hockey 'Ringers' Lose 8-0 in Olympic Debut
15 of 25 players were born overseas
- China's unusual Olympic men's hockey team had a rendezvous with reality in Beijing Thursday night. The team, described by the
as a "squad of ringers" China put together when the country automatically qualified for the Olympic hockey tournament as host nation but didn't have a...
NHL Confirms Players
Won't Be Going to Olympics
Dec 22, 2021 5:30 PM CST
NHL Confirms Players Won't Be Going to Olympics
COVID disruptions mean going to Beijing is now unfeasible, commissioner says
: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed Wednesday that players would not be allowed to participate in the Beijing Olympics, making official what seemed inevitable in recent days when a rash of positive COVID-19 test results caused several teams to shut down, the AP reports. The league will use the previously...
More Bad News to NHL
Dec 21, 2021 12:00 AM CST
COVID Delivers More Bad News to NHL
League shuts down early for holiday
- The NHL is beginning a leaguewide shutdown Wednesday amid a rise in positive COVID-19 test results among players, and with 10 of the league's 32 teams' schedules already paused and their facilities closed. The league announced Monday night that it will open its annual holiday break two days earlier...
Disarray Due to COVID
in Sports World Continues
Dec 20, 2021 2:02 AM CST
Disarray Due to COVID in Sports World Continues
NBA postpones 5 mores games, NHL shuts down 2 more teams
- The NBA on Sunday postponed a total of five games involving nine teams in response to rising coronavirus numbers, raising the number of contests that have been pushed back this season to seven, the AP reports. Called off were three Sunday games: Cleveland at Atlanta, Denver at Brooklyn and New...
Next, NHL Tightens
Dec 18, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Next, NHL Tightens COVID Protocols
The league has 10% of its players out of action
- The NHL reintroduced stricter COVID-19 protocols Saturday that include daily testing and other steps in a bid to limit a growing outbreak among players and team personnel. The enhanced protocols will be put into effect immediately and last through Jan. 1, with an evaluation of their impact to take place...
NFL Reschedules 3 Games
Over COVID Outbreaks
Dec 17, 2021 2:56 PM CST
NFL Reschedules 3 Games Over COVID Outbreaks
NHL and NBA also getting hit
- Sports fans of any league: If you planned to watch some games this weekend, better check the schedules often, because COVID outbreaks are taking a toll:
The NFL is shifting three games that were scheduled for this weekend. The Browns-Raiders game is moving from Saturday to Monday, while the
Dec 16, 2021 4:15 PM CST
NFL Changes COVID Protocols
Mask mandate is back after bad week for infections
: The NFL is adjusting its COVID-19 protocols in the face of increasing infections. Some of the changes could provide relief to teams that are shorthanded after outbreaks this week, ESPN reports. The policies, negotiated by the league and the players association, call for returning to a mask mandate in...
Goalie's Fireworks Death
Dec 4, 2021 2:40 PM CST
Goalie's Fireworks Death Ruled Accidental
No one will be charged in the death of Matiss Kivlenieks, prosecutors say
: The death of an NHL goalie in a Fourth of July fireworks accident in the Detroit area has been ruled accidental. No criminal charges will be filed, Oakland County prosecutors announced this week. Matiss Kivlenieks died of chest trauma when he was hit by a fireworks mortar blast in...
Outbreak Shuts Team Down
Nov 27, 2021 2:55 PM CST
Outbreak Shuts Team Down
NHL postpones 2 Islanders games to fight spread
- The NHL has postponed two more games for coronavirus-related reasons, making it five so far this season. Upcoming New York Islanders games Sunday at the Rangers and Tuesday at the Philadelphia Flyers were postponed after additional players went into the NHL's COVID-19 protocol on Saturday. The Islanders would have...
COVID Outbreak Hits
Fully Vaccinated NHL Team
Nov 18, 2021 3:34 PM CST
COVID Outbreak Hits Fully Vaccinated NHL Team
10 Ottawa Senators players are out of action
- COVID-19 has cut through the Ottawa Senators like a Zamboni through slush, despite all players being fully vaccinated—and experts say the NHL team's experience is a reminder that the pandemic is far from over. Some 10 players—around 40% of the roster—and one coach are now in...
A Big NHL Trade
Has Unusual Wrinkle
Nov 4, 2021 4:24 PM CDT
A Big NHL Trade Has Unusual Wrinkle
Buffalo's Jack Eichel will get the neck surgery he wants under new team, Las Vegas
- It's a big deal as far as NHL trades go, even in the usual sense. This week, the Buffalo Sabres sent 25-year-old phenom Jack Eichel to the Las Vegas Golden Knights. But this deal has an unusual twist because it centers around a medical procedure. The details:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.