Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Out Amid
Sep 18, 2023 2:38 AM CDT
NHL Coach Is Out Amid Player Privacy Controversy
Mike Babcock resigns before coaching a single game for Columbus Blue Jackets
- A strange privacy scandal has ended Mike Babcock's time as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets almost as soon as it began. Babcock, 60, resigned Sunday, three days before the opening of training camp and before he'd even had a chance to coach a single hockey game...
A Legend of Hockey
Jun 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
A Legend of Hockey Had CTE
Montreal Canadiens great Henri Richard is diagnosed posthumously
- The late Henri Richard is a hockey Hall of Famer who has a record 11 Stanley Cups on his resume and, now, a more troubling legacy: The Montreal Canadiens star had chronic traumatic encephalopathy when he died in 2020 at age 84, according to the Concussion Legacy Foundation Canada, per...
Vegas Golden Knights
Capture First Stanley Cup
Jun 14, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Vegas Golden Knights Capture First Stanley Cup
Young franchise takes hockey title for first time
- Golden Knights games have always been as flashy as any show on the Las Vegas Strip, the sword-fighting mascot taking the ice before what seems like a legion of players marching out through the mirrored entrance into the roar of the crowd. If this team was ever going to win...
A Weird Thing
in NBA, NHL
May 23, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
A Weird Thing Is Unfolding in NBA, NHL Playoffs
A possibility of four sweeps is possible, as LeBron James floats idea of retirement
- The Lakers are out of the NBA playoffs, and LeBron James is talking retirement as a result. After the Denver Nuggets swept Los Angeles in four games in the Western Conference finals, James told reporters Monday night that he is considering retirement after 20 years, reports CNN . “We’ll...
This Goal Ended 6th-Longest
Game in NHL History
May 19, 2023 8:01 AM CDT
This Goal Ended 6th-Longest Game in NHL History
Florida beats Carolina near the end of the fourth overtime
- The Florida Panthers continued their improbable run in the NHL playoffs with a marathon victory for the record books Thursday night, or, more precisely, Friday morning. Matthew Tkachuk scored with 12.7 seconds left in the fourth overtime, meaning the teams played two full games and then some, a total...
May 14, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Lethal News for NHL's 'Enforcers'
On average, former players known for getting into numerous brawls died a decade earlier than peers
- Recent research shows that fighting at NHL games, "once considered an integral part of professional hockey," has plummeted over the past two decades. Seems like that might be a good thing down the line, at least according to a new study, which finds that ex-players who were...
He's 17. NHL Team
Just Sold $2.5M in
Tickets in 2 Hours
Thanks to Him
May 9, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
He's 17. NHL Team Just Sold $2.5M in Tickets in 2 Hours Thanks to Him
NHL's Blackhawks win draft lottery, aka the 'Connor Bedard sweepstakes'
- The Chicago Blackhawks on Monday night won the right to pick first in the next NHL draft. In some years, that might not mean much. This is not one of those years, thanks to a 17-year-old phenom named Connor Bedard. To provide a sense, the Blackhawks sold $2.5 million...
'Nobody in the Whole World
Thought We Were Going to Win'
May 1, 2023 6:39 AM CDT
'Nobody in the Whole World Thought We Were Going to Win'
Florida stuns the record-setting Boston Bruins by ousting them from the playoffs
- "Let’s be honest: Nobody in the whole world thought we were going to win that series," says Matt Tkachuk of the Florida Panthers. His team pulled off a stunning NHL upset Sunday night by ousting the mighty Boston Bruins in overtime of Game 7, reports
NHL's Pride Night
for First Time
Apr 7, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
NHL's Pride Night Hits Resistance for First Time
League to reconsider its handling of the event after seven players sit it out
- Sports leagues and teams often use Pride nights to raise the visibility and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people—as well as sell them tickets—and the NHL has been a leader. They can include special jerseys designed by LGBTQ+ artists, performances, information tables, even drag performances. And they're largely a...
Seattle Band, Team Disagree
on Reason for Cancellations
Feb 1, 2023 4:51 PM CST
Seattle Band, Team Disagree on Reason for Cancellations
Musicians say it was the lyrics knocking Bezos, while Kraken blames drinking
- A Seattle band says singing about Jeff Bezos being "a total jerk" ended the group's three-game residency early at the city's NHL arena, for which Amazon owns the naming rights. The Kraken suggested the group's drinking and unprofessional behavior were the problem, the
Fans Stood When Bobby Hull
Wound Up for a Slap Shot
Jan 30, 2023 4:54 PM CST
Fans Stood When Bobby Hull Wound Up for a Slap Shot
NHL Hall of Famer scored 610 times in NHL
- Bobby Hull, a Hall of Fame winger and two-time NHL MVP who helped the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961, has died. He was 84. The Blackhawks and the NHL Alumni Association announced Hull's death on Monday, the AP reports. There were no further details provided by...
NHL Star Blasts
Trudeau on Gun Bill
Dec 6, 2022 1:05 PM CST
NHL Star Blasts Trudeau on Gun Bill
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price calls PM 'unjust': 'I am not a criminal or a threat to society'
- Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, and after the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia—the country's deadliest mass shooting ever, with 22 fatally shot—Bill C-21 came into existence. It seeks to ban the purchase and import of handguns and "assault-style" guns across the...
Mocks Him, NHL
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2022 11:55 AM CST
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Pat Maroon donates to a mental health charity, encourages others to do the same
- When a TV broadcaster mocked an NHL's player's weight, the player fired back on Twitter—but maybe not in the way you'd expect. Pat Maroon of the Tampa Bay Lightning donated to a mental health charity in the broadcaster's name and encouraged others to do the...
Evander Kane to Miss Months
After Player Skates Over Wrist
Nov 9, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Evander Kane to Miss Months After Player Skates Over Wrist
Left with a deep cut, Evander Kane says he's still in shock after' extremely scary moment'
- An NHL player was taken to a hospital Tuesday night after an opponent inadvertently skated over his wrist, leaving him with a deep cut. The injury occurred when Evander Kane, a forward for the Edmonton Oilers, fell to the ice during a game at the Amalie Arena in Tampa, CNN...
Young Hockey Player's Past
Bullying Costs Him Again
Nov 7, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Young Hockey Player's Past Bullying Costs Him Again
Boston Bruins rescind contract with Mitchell Miller
- For the second time , a young NHL prospect's history of bullying has cost him a shot at the big leagues. And it's not clear if 20-year-old Mitchell Miller will ever be allowed to play hockey in the NHL. The latest developments unfolded over the weekend, when the Boston...
NHL Has a
to Contend With
Oct 10, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
NHL Has a New Scandal to Contend With
Tampa Bay Lightning suspends Ian Cole after woman alleges he sexually abused her as a minor
- The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenseman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor. The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend...
Jul 5, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Star Goalie's Career Takes Unexpected Turn in Russia
Ivan Fedotov, under contract with Philadelphia Flyers, detained over military service at home
- Ivan Fedotov is a 25-year-old star goalie in Russia who seemed destined to duplicate the feat in the NHL, especially after the Philadelphia Flyers signed him to a contract in May. Now, however, his hockey future is very much in doubt—he was detained last week in Russia as a...
Shows Up at Wrong House
Jun 30, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Stanley Cup Shows Up at Wrong House
Neighbors of Colorado Avalanche's Gabe Landeskog got a memorable surprise
- Lord Stanley arrived at the wrong house in Denver, and the mistake is making headlines. It seems the NHL's famed Stanley Cup (named after the aforementioned lord) was delivered to the wrong address on Monday, reports 9News . It was supposed to go to Colorado Avalanche captain Gabe Landeskog, but...
Stanley Cup Win Ends One
Player's Remarkable Streak
Jun 27, 2022 12:33 AM CDT
Stanley Cup Win Ends One Player's Remarkable Streak
Colorado championship denies Tampa's Patrick Maroon of his fourth straight
- After years of playoff disappointments, the Colorado Avalanche are back atop hockey’s mountain after dethroning the two-time defending champions. Behind a goal and an assist from Nathan MacKinnon, the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup for the third time in franchise history and first in more than two decades by...
Punches Were Thrown
on the Ice—and Then Off
Jun 10, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Punches Were Thrown on the Ice—and Then Off
New York Rangers fan facing assault charges after sucker punch caught on video
- Thursday's hockey game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers ended with punches on and off the ice. Shortly after players traded blows to mark the end of the Lightning's 3-1 victory over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, which put the Lightning up 3-2 in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.