Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest Uber news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Walgreens Cuts Deal
to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Dec 8, 2022 4:45 PM CST
Walgreens Cuts Deal to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Uber, DoorDash partner with chain, greatly expanding access for COVID-19 patients
- Walgreens announced Thursday that it has partnered with DoorDash and Uber to have Paxlovid, the oral antiviral therapy for COVID-19, delivered to homes. The company said that the new service will make the drug available to 92% of Americans, ABC News reports, and that its goal is to reach "...
Survey: Gig Drivers
in Denver Average
$5.49 an Hour
Nov 9, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Survey: Gig Drivers in Denver Average $5.49 an Hour
Pay comes in well under minimum wage, but companies contest the calculations
- The income of gig drivers in the Denver area is running well below minimum wage, a survey has found. Two advocacy groups, Colorado Jobs with Justice and Gig Workers Rising, queried hundreds of drivers for such platforms as Lyft, Uber, and DoorDash from last November through January, the
Uber Hacker Gained
Sep 17, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Uber Hacker Gained Admin Access
Experts lament Uber failures that allowed breach
- The ride-hailing service Uber said Friday that all its services were operational following what security professionals are calling a major data breach, claiming there was no evidence the hacker got access to sensitive user data. But the breach, apparently by a lone hacker, put the spotlight on an increasingly effective...
The Case of Uber's
Is a Divisive One
Sep 7, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
The Case of Uber's Ex-Security Chief Is a Divisive One
Joe Sullivan goes on trial this week
- Data breaches that put consumer data at risk have become commonplace; this suit involving one such breach is anything but. Uber's former security chief, Joe Sullivan, goes on trial this week in US District Court in San Francisco in what's thought to be the first time an executive...
This Uber Passenger's Ride
Was a Most Unusual One
Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Uber Passenger's Ride Was a Most Unusual One
Driver Fritz Sam stopped car to help rescue people from Brooklyn house fire
- A Brooklyn writer headed to a conference in Vermont this week just barely made her flight, and she has her Uber driver to blame. But Jemimah James Wei is completely OK with the detour, since it came about because the driver, 54-year-old Fritz Sam, stopped to rush into a burning...
We 'Sold People a Lie'
Jul 11, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Uber Whistleblower: We 'Sold People a Lie'
Former chief lobbyist Mark MacGann says he wants to clear his conscience
- The man who leaked a huge quantity of Uber internal documents to the media has come forward, revealing that he was a key player in the company's aggressive efforts to establish itself in new countries. Mark MacGann, 52, was Uber's chief lobbyist in Europe in 2014 to 2015...
As Uber Expanded Worldwide,
It Had a 'Kill Switch'
Jul 11, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
As Uber Expanded Worldwide, It Had a 'Kill Switch'
'Switch' would block access of investigators to its servers, as revealed in the 'Uber Files'
- They're being called the "Uber Files." The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, a nonprofit network of investigative reporters, scoured internal Uber texts, emails, invoices, and other documents to deliver what it called “an unprecedented look into the ways Uber defied taxi laws and upended workers' rights....
Check Your Uber for
Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Jun 7, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
Check Your Uber for Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Those are just some of the odd items left behind in the company's vehicles last year
- If you've ever left something behind in a cab—or, these days, in a ride-hailing vehicle—you're not alone. It's not uncommon for drivers to discover the phones, keys, wallets, or purses that customers forgot in the back seat, especially in Austin, Texas, the most forgetful city...
A Decade-Long Uber
Strategy Comes to an End
May 23, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
'Investor-fueled subsidy' is going away, and prices will likely rise, per Slate analysis
- Those who use Uber and its rivals should prepare to open their wallets even wider, writes Henry Grabar in an assessment for Slate . The headline pretty much sums things up: "The Decade of Cheap Rides Is Over." Uber has been content to lose a lot of money since...
Uber Cuts Deal
With New York Taxis
Mar 24, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Uber Cuts Deal With New York Taxis
Company's app will list all city cabs
- Uber is short of drivers. Ride-sharing companies have cut into cabdrivers' income. An agreement that could ease both problems has been reached, allowing passengers in New York City to choose a cab when they order a ride on Uber's app, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's the first...
Allegedly Killed Her,
Uber Driver Pleaded:
'I Have 4 Kids'
Feb 21, 2022 3:16 AM CST
Before Passenger Allegedly Killed Her, Uber Driver Pleaded: 'I Have 4 Kids'
Calvin Crew charged in Pittsburgh murder
- During an attempted robbery by an armed passenger on the night of Feb. 10, Uber driver Christina Spicuzza was captured on dashcam video pleading for her life before her passenger eventually killed her, police say. Calvin Crew, 22, allegedly held a gun to Spicuzza's head as he had her...
Gig Driver Who Missed Car
Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Jan 6, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Gig Driver Who Missed Car Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Ali Badr is suing city of San Ramon, Calif., for excessive force after being pulled over by cops
- A gig driver badly mauled by a police dog is suing a San Francisco area suburb, alleging use of excessive force and violation of civil rights when police stopped him in December 2020 after he'd missed car rental payments, reports the AP . Dashboard and body-camera videos obtained by the...
US Files ADA Suit
Nov 10, 2021 5:35 PM CST
US Files ADA Suit Against Uber
Justice Department calls the charges discrimination against disabled people
- The federal government has sued Uber, saying it discriminates against disabled people by charging fees when drivers have to wait for passengers to board their vehicles. Uber's wait time fees kick in two minutes after a driver arrives and are charged until the car begins its trip, the AP...
Uber Reports Its
First-Ever Operating Profit
Nov 5, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Uber Reports Its First-Ever Operating Profit
But its net loss for the quarter was $2.4B
- Uber is still a very long way from being a truly profitable company, but by one metric, it has just managed to turn its first operating profit after a decade of heavy losses. The company reported an adjusted EBITDA—earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization—of $8 million for...
The Hertz-Tesla Deal
Has Big News for Uber
Oct 28, 2021 1:12 AM CDT
The Hertz-Tesla Deal Has Big News for Uber
Hertz will rent up to half of its new Teslas to Uber drivers
- Hertz is adding 100,000 Teslas to its US and European fleets, and on Wednesday it announced that up to half of those will be rented out to Uber drivers. "Today's partnership with Uber is another major step forward in Hertz becoming an essential component of the modern...
Fizzles by Closing Bell
Sep 21, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Market Recovery Fizzles by Closing Bell
S&P 500, Dow dropped but Nasdaq rose
- Major indexes ended mixed on Wall Street Tuesday after spending much of the day wobbling between gains and losses. For parts of the afternoon the market had looked like it would recoup some of the losses it took in a big pullback a day earlier, but by the closing bell...
Salesforce, Uber, Lyft
Make Moves Around
Texas Abortion Law
Sep 11, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Salesforce, Uber, Lyft Make Moves Around Texas Abortion Law
Salesforce will relocate workers concerned about care access; Uber, Lyft will pay drivers' legal fees
- The Texas abortion ban, and the recent Supreme Court ruling keeping it in place, is drawing plenty of reaction, from everyone from Justice Stephen Breyer to Attorney General Merrick Garland weighing in. Add Salesforce.com into the mix, with the company informing employees this week that it would pay for...
His Story Sums Up the Agony,
Ecstasy of the Gig Economy
Jun 27, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
His Story Sums Up the Agony, Ecstasy of the Gig Economy
Ecstasy in 2014, at least
- "To understand how a man could arrive at the point where he abandons his children to chase a phone, you might want to follow him on a journey." So writes Lauren Smiley in a lengthy piece for
about Jeffrey Fang, a "ride-hailing legend" who in 2014...
Lyft, Uber Offer
Free Rides for Shots
May 11, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
Lyft, Uber Offer Free Rides for Shots
Biden administration cuts deal to run through July 4
- As part of the push to administer at least one coronavirus vaccination shot to 70% of US adults by Independence Day, President Biden's administration has a plan to handle the transportation for those needing a ride. Uber and Lyft will handle the round trip for vaccine recipients through July...
Uber Must Pay Up After Drivers
Deny Rides to Blind Woman
Apr 3, 2021 1:24 PM CDT
Uber Must Pay Up After Drivers Deny Rides to Blind Woman
Arbitrator awards California's Lisa Irving $1.1M
- California's Lisa Irving says that Uber drivers denied her rides or verbally abused her 14 times between 2016 and 2018, all because she's blind and has a guide dog, reports CNN . Now, however, Irving has scored a measure of revenge. An arbitrator ordered Uber to pay her $1....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.