Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Revenge Porn Victim
Aug 15, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Revenge Porn Victim Sought $100M, Got $1.2B
Jury rules for Texas woman whose ex posted intimate pics of her in 'painful' harassment campaign
- A Texas jury has awarded $1.2 billion to a woman who said she was a revenge porn victim at the hands of a former beau. The woman's complaint , filed in April of last year in Harris County, accused ex-boyfriend Marquez Jackson of posting "visual intimate material" of...
Woman Who Helped Hide
Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Aug 14, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Woman Who Helped Hide Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Cecily Aguilar was only person arrested in Vanessa Guillen case
- A Texas woman was sentenced Monday to 30 years in prison for helping dispose of the body of a US soldier, whose 2020 killing sparked a movement of women speaking out about sexual abuse in the military. Cecily Aguilar was the only suspect arrested in the death of Vanessa Guillen,...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
Want to Happen
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 12, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
What You Definitely Don't Want to Happen While Mowing
Hawk drops snake on Texas woman, then fights to get it off her arm
- Two quotes might help prepare you for reading about Peggy Jones' lawn-mowing ordeal in rural Texas. "It's probably been the most terrifying thing that's ever happened in my life," she tells the
. And, more to the point: "The story was so bizarre that...
Killer Hounded by Texans
Faces New Murder Charges
Aug 11, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Killer Hounded by Texans Faces New Murder Charges
Raul Meza had appealed to the public after his release from prison
- A Texas man who was convicted of killing an 8-year-old girl in the 1980s and then run out of several towns following his early release from prison has been indicted on two new murder charges, including one that could carry the death penalty, prosecutors announced Friday. Raul Meza Jr., 62,...
3 People, Dog Die in
Texas Cornfield Tragedy
Aug 11, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
3 People, Dog Die in Texas Cornfield Tragedy
They tried to rescue dog, each other from uncovered cistern
- An underground structure used to store water in a Texas cornfield became a literal death trap for three people from Florida and their dog, police say. The Bastrop County Sheriff's Office says officers received a call around 1am Wednesday about three people trapped in a hole. The sheriff's...
Prominent Texas Judge Takes
a Break for Mental Health
Aug 8, 2023 10:49 AM CDT
Prominent Texas Judge Takes a Break for Mental Health
Harris County's Lina Hidalgo says she checked in for inpatient treatment for clinical depression
- A Texas judge put out a surprise announcement this week, announcing she'll be taking a work hiatus to deal with a newly diagnosed condition. In a Monday statement released by her office, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo informed constituents that she had checked herself into an inpatient facility late...
Big Abortion-Rights Victory
in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Aug 5, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Big Abortion-Rights Victory in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Injunction calls to allow for exceptions for serious pregnancy complications, though appeal blocks it
- A Texas judge ruled Friday the state's abortion ban has proven too restrictive for women with serious pregnancy complications and must allow exceptions without doctors fearing the threat of criminal charges. The ruling was the first to undercut Texas' law, one of the most restrictive in the US, since it...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
Ex-WH Doc: I Tried to Help
at Rodeo, Things Got 'Chaotic'
Aug 2, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Ex-WH Doc: I Tried to Help at Rodeo, Things Got 'Chaotic'
GOP congressman says he was assisting during medical emergency when he was detained by cops
- Ronny Jackson was trained as an ER doctor, so when a medical emergency went down Saturday at a Texas rodeo, the former White House physician and current Republican congressman jumped into action—only to find himself detained and handcuffed, according to his team and witnesses. In a statement cited by...
Cops Hold Family at
Gunpoint Over a Typo
Aug 1, 2023 8:01 AM CDT
Cops Hold Family at Gunpoint Over a Typo
Police in Frisco, Texas, vow to learn from mistake that left an Arkansas family traumatized
- Police officers in Texas held a visiting family at gunpoint all because an officer made a typo while performing a search on their license plate. "It looks like I made a mistake," the officer tells the Arkansas family after a terrifying ordeal that included a sixth-grade boy being...
School Shooting Victim's
Mom Is Running for Mayor
Jul 28, 2023 10:37 AM CDT
School Shooting Victim's Mom Is Running for Mayor
'I will honor your life with action,' says Kimberly Mata-Rubio
- A year and a half ago, a mayoral election in Uvalde wouldn't have been news outside the immediate area—but that was before the Texas city became the site of one of America's deadliest school shootings. Kimberly Mata-Rubio, whose 10-year-old daughter, Lexi, was one of 19 children killed...
Justice Department Sues Texas
Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Jul 24, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Justice Department Sues Texas Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Abbott rebuffs warning and publicly welcomes legal showdown
- The Justice Department followed through on its threat to sue Texas on Monday, seeking to force the state to take out the floating barriers it has placed in the middle of the Rio Grande to deter border crossings. The obstacles are a danger to migrants and Border Patrol agents, the...
DOJ Warns Texas
of Legal Action Over
Rio Grande Buoys
Jul 23, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
DOJ Warns Texas of Legal Action Over Rio Grande Buoys
Abbott responds that he's not budging
- The Justice Department has told Texas it plans to take legal action to force the state to remove barriers placed in the Rio Grande to prevent migrant crossings, a warning that was shrugged off by Gov. Greg Abbott. "This floating barrier poses a risk to navigation, as well as...
Texas Man Arrested in
Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Jul 20, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Texas Man Arrested in Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, allegedly killed 3 women over 4 months in Dallas
- Another suspected serial killer has surfaced, this time in Texas. Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, was arrested Wednesday and will be charged with three counts of murder tied to the deaths of three women in Dallas from April through July. All three women were found stabbed to death near the Trinity...
Woman Vomits on the Stand
Recalling Abortion Ban Trauma
Jul 20, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Woman Vomits on the Stand Recalling Abortion Ban Trauma
15 plaintiffs seek order blocking Texas abortion law from applying to high-risk pregnancies
- A woman testifying about the damage caused by Texas' ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy vomited on the stand Wednesday while describing her nonviable pregnancy, which ended with her giving birth to a baby who lived for just four hours. Samantha Casiano, part of a group of 13...
In Houston Suburb,
a 'Very, Very Evil, Evil Thing'
Jul 18, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
In Houston Suburb, a 'Very, Very Evil, Evil Thing'
Couple accused of kidnapping teen, holding her captive for a month
- An 18-year-old woman was sexually abused over the course of a month while held against her will in a Texas neighborhood before escaping her restraints and running for help, according to police. A resident of the Houston suburb of Humble tells KHOU that a "shaking" barefoot woman showed up...
Thanks to a Hawk
Jul 13, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Residents Here Aren't Getting Their Mail, Thanks to a Hawk
USPS says delivery can't resume in Travis Heights area of Austin until aggressive bird stops attacking
- Residents in one Texas neighborhood won't be finding mail in their mailboxes for a few weeks, all because of an aggressive hawk who's been harassing the locals. Axios Austin first reported on Friday that the US Postal Service has suspended mail delivery to the Travis Heights section of...
Rudy Farias Says Mom
'Brainwashed' Him for 8 Years
Jul 13, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Rudy Farias Says Mom 'Brainwashed' Him for 8 Years
But 'missing' Houston man denies reports he was sexually assaulted
- Rudy Farias says he felt like he was "brainwashed" by his mother to go along with her lies for eight years. Police in Houston say Farias, then 17, returned home one day after he was reported missing in 2015 but mother Janie Santana continued to insist he was missing...
Woman Fatally Shot
in Texas Road Rage Incident
Jul 12, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Woman Fatally Shot in Texas Road Rage Incident
Her husband says he flipped off aggressive driver, who fired on their minivan
- Another road rage incident has taken a life. Zane Jones was driving with his wife Paola Nunez Linares, 37, in Hurst, Texas, Monday night when, he tells NBC DFW and Fox 4 , he flipped off an aggressive driver. The driver responded by pulling a gun and shooting into the couple'...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.