Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dallas Zoo 'Heartbroken' Over
Latest Suspicious Incident
Jan 24, 2023 6:26 AM CST
Dallas Zoo 'Heartbroken' Over Latest Suspicious Incident
Endangered vulture found dead just days after enclosures slashed around 2 other habitats
- Police and Dallas Zoo officials haven't yet solved the mystery of who cut through the fencing of a clouded leopard enclosure, as well as the fencing around a monkey habitat. Now, a more tragic and equally suspicious development: A rare, endangered bird of prey has died, in what the...
Are on Hunger Strike
Jan 19, 2023 3:46 PM CST
Texas Prisoners Are on Hunger Strike
Some inmates have been in solitary confinement for more than 20 years
- Prisoners in Texas are in the second week of a hunger strike to demand an end to the practice of keeping inmates in solitary confinement for much, much longer than the 15 days that the United Nations considers torture. One of their main demands is that "under no circumstances...
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
Feds Won't Seek Death for
Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Jan 18, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Feds Won't Seek Death for Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Patrick Crusius accused of opening fire at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019
- Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at a West Texas Walmart in 2019, per the AP . The Department of Justice disclosed the decision not to pursue capital punishment against Patrick Crusius in a...
HS Football Players
Jan 18, 2023 3:01 AM CST
HS Football Players Hospitalized After 300+ Push-Ups at Practice
Some of them for nearly a week
- Multiple student-athletes had to be hospitalized after a Texas high school football practice held on Jan. 6, and after outrage from parents, the state Department of Family and Protective Services is investigating. Rockwall-Heath High School placed Coach John Harrell on leave after the offseason football workout, which involved hundreds of...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
Missing Zoo Leopard Found.
Now, Mystery of 2 Cut Fences
Jan 16, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Missing Zoo Leopard Found. Now, Mystery of 2 Cut Fences
Officials at Dallas Zoo say cut was found in fence to leopard enclosure, as well as at monkey habitat
- First, the good news: Nova, the clouded leopard who vanished from her enclosure at the Dallas Zoo, has been found . The 4-year-old big cat was found to be missing on Friday morning from the habitat she shares with her sister, Luna, leading the zoo to temporarily shut down "due...
He Had Wife Killed,
Wouldn't Look at Son
as He Awaited Execution
Jan 11, 2023 12:32 AM CST
He Had Wife Killed, Wouldn't Look at Son as He Awaited Execution
Texas executes ex-cop who hired 2 people to murder his estranged wife
- A former suburban Houston police officer was executed Tuesday for hiring two people to kill his estranged wife nearly 30 years ago amid a contentious divorce and custody battle, the AP reports. Robert Fratta, 65, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for the November 1994 fatal...
Cops: Restaurant Customer
Killed Robber, Gave Money
Back to Patrons
Jan 9, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Cops: Restaurant Customer Killed Robber, Gave Money Back to Patrons
Grand jury will decide on charges for Texas man
- A man who killed an armed robber Thursday night at a restaurant in Houston came forward to speak to police Monday. Surveillance video shows a masked man dressed in black waving a gun around as he robs patrons at a taqueria in southwest Houston. Police say the customer rose from...
Inmate Filmed for
Comedy Central 'Roast'
Appeals Death Sentence
Dec 30, 2022 5:46 AM CST
Inmate Filmed for Comedy Central 'Roast' Appeals Death Sentence
Gabriel Hall's lawyers say attorneys should have been present during Jeff Ross special
- Lawyers for a death row inmate in Texas say it was unconstitutional for prosecutors to use unaired footage from a Comedy Central special filmed in jail. Gabriel Hall was sentenced to death a few months after the special with "Roastmaster General" Jeff Ross was filmed in the Brazos County...
Worker Mistaken for Burglar,
Shot on Christmas Eve
Dec 28, 2022 7:05 PM CST
Worker Mistaken for Burglar, Shot on Christmas Eve
He was checking for burst pipes at Texas apartment complex
- A maintenance worker checking for frozen and burst pipes at a Texas apartment complex on Christmas Eve was fatally shot by a resident who thought he was a burglar, police say. Cesar Montelongo, a 53-year-old father of five, was shot on the resident's balcony at the Clayton Point Apartments...
Greg Abbott Slammed After
Migrants Dropped Off in DC
Dec 26, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Greg Abbott Slammed After Migrants Dropped Off in DC
Prominent Dems, WH blast 'shameful stunt'; Texas governor still hasn't confirmed he sent buses
- The White House and prominent Democrats are blasting Texas Gov. Greg Abbott after three busloads of migrants were dropped off in frigid weather on Christmas Eve outside of Vice President Kamala Harris' DC home. "Governor Abbott abandoned children on the side of the road in below freezing temperatures on...
Ex-Cop Sentenced in
Killing of Atatiana Jefferson
Dec 20, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Ex-Cop Sentenced in Killing of Atatiana Jefferson
Aaron Dean shot Texas woman through back window of her home
- A former Texas police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson through a rear window of her home in 2019 was sentenced Tuesday to 11 years and 10 months in prison for his manslaughter conviction. Aaron Dean, 38, had faced up to 20 years in prison, but jurors also had the...
At Uvalde, Police Response
Wasn't the Only Problem
Dec 20, 2022 11:41 AM CST
At Uvalde, Police Response Wasn't the Only Problem
Medical response was chaotic, uncoordinated, and may have cost lives: report
- The slow response of police to confront the gunman at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has been well documented. But a new examination of video and audio from the scene, as well as interviews, shows that the medical response that day in May also was mired in chaos and...
Pilot's Ejection Caught
on Camera After
Fighter Jet Crash
Dec 16, 2022 1:52 PM CST
Pilot's Ejection Caught on Camera After Fighter Jet Crash
Pilot is OK after slow-moving accident at Texas military base
- The pilot of a fighter jet that crash-landed in Texas will be fine after ejecting from the plane after it hit the ground. The
describes the "bizarre slow-moving crash" that took place Thursday morning at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, where a spectator captured...
Dec 16, 2022 12:11 AM CST
Ex-Cop Who Shot, Killed Atatiana Jefferson Convicted
Aaron Dean found guilty of manslaughter
- The former Texas cop who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson as she played video games with her 8-year-old nephew was on Thursday convicted of manslaughter in the 28-year-old's death. Aaron Dean faces up to two decades behind bars when the trial's sentencing phase begins Friday, CNN reports. Dean was...
Reports Out on Escaped Inmate
Who Killed Man, 4 Grandsons
Dec 9, 2022 8:46 AM CST
Reports Out on Escaped Inmate Who Killed Man, 4 Grandsons
Officers violated procedures before escape of Texas inmate Gonzalo Lopez
- A multitude of security lapses such as inadequate strip searches, poorly applied restraints, a staffing shortage, and an environment where correctional officers became complacent created the conditions that led to the May escape of a Texas inmate , resulting in the deaths of five people , according to two reviews of the...
Warrant: FedEx Driver
Panicked After Hitting Girl
Dec 8, 2022 9:00 PM CST
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
The delivery was a Christmas gift for Athena Strand, mother says
- A delivery driver charged in the slaying of a 7-year-old Texas girl told investigators that she wasn't seriously hurt when he struck her accidentally with his van, but that he panicked and killed her, according to an arrest warrant. Tanner Lynn Horner said that he put Athena Strand in...
Ex-Border Patrol Agent
Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Dec 8, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Ex-Border Patrol Agent Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Juan David Ortiz convicted of capital murder
- A former US Border Patrol agent was convicted of capital murder Wednesday in the slayings of four women in Texas in 2018. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, so Juan David Ortiz will receive an automatic sentence of life behind bars without the possibility of parole, the AP reports.
Cops: Woman in
Hazmat Suit Left
Human Waste at Station
Dec 7, 2022 4:21 PM CST
Cops: Woman in Hazmat Suit Left Human Waste at Station
Assistant fire chief's wife was arrested for illegal dumping
- Authorities in a small Texas town have disclosed the who, what, where, and when in an illegal dumping case—the assistant fire chief's wife, 50 pounds of human waste, the police station, and Nov. 10, respectively—but the why is still unclear. According to an arrest affidavit filed Dec....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.