Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled
While Being Served Subpoena
Sep 27, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
Process server Ernesto Martin Herrera says Ken Paxton avoided him for hour, then took off with wife
- Even though recipients of a subpoena typically aren't thrilled to be getting one, the delivery of it is still usually a fairly straightforward process. Not so much at the home of Ken Paxton this week, where a process server who had such paperwork says the Texas attorney general tried...
Couple Saves Injured Baby
Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Sep 27, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Texas' McClain family found 9-month-old in their shed after man appeared to steal neighbor's truck
- A Texas family got quite the surprise over the weekend after finding an infant in their backyard shed, amid troubling circumstances. Katharine and John McClain say they were awoken early Saturday by the loud sounds of a truck driving away from their neighbor's house on the outskirts of Livingston,...
Girl, 12, Shot Father,
Self in Murder Pact
With Friend: Cops
Sep 26, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Girl, 12, Shot Father, Self in Murder Pact With Friend: Cops
Texas girl and her father, 38, have been hospitalized
- Police say a 12-year-old Texas girl made a pact with a friend to kill their families and pets, and apparently tried to follow through on her end. The girl was found lying in the street outside her Weatherford home Tuesday night with a gun underneath her body and an apparent...
The Texas Surgeon Was
Charming—and a 'Monster'
Sep 24, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
The Texas Surgeon Was Charming—and a 'Monster'
The 'Texas Observer' reports on Dr. Eric Heston Scheffey
- "Looking at Dr. Scheffey, one isn't likely to think he's a monster. But he was a monster." That's how retired personal injury attorney Priscilla Walters describes Dr. Eric Heston Scheffey, and she's not the only person to speak in such terms about him. She...
9 Months Later, Case of
Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
Sep 24, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
The 'New York Times' digs in
- Lina Sardar Khil is still missing nine months after vanishing from a San Antonio playground . The 3-year-old's story has received wide coverage, but the
New York Times
goes deeper, filling in some backstory on the family, the specifics of the day she disappeared, and where things stand today. Edgar...
Cops Find Man
Shot Dead, Then Get
Call About His Toddler
Sep 21, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Cops Find Man Shot Dead, Then Get Call About His Toddler
Police are investigating what they say was double homicide of dad, 2-year-old son in Houston
- Houston police were searching Tuesday for a man they say is responsible for a double homicide of a 2-year-old boy and his father. Executive Assistant Police Chief Larry Satterwhite says officers were called to a shooting outside a strip mall southwest of downtown around 1:45pm, where they found a...
Texas Sheriff on
'What Was Done to
These Folks Is Wrong'
Sep 20, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
Texas Sheriff on DeSantis Stunt: 'What Was Done to These Folks Is Wrong'
Javier Salazar is investigating flights that brought migrants to Martha's Vineyard
- The sheriff of the Texas county from which 48 Venezuelan migrants were flown to Martha's Vineyard last week is investigating the incident. Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar says the migrants were apparently "lured under false pretenses" onto charter flights, arranged by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and flown to...
Texas Rejects Posthumous
Pardon for George Floyd
Sep 16, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Texas Rejects Posthumous Pardon for George Floyd
Board first voted yes, then no after Abbott's office kicked recommendation back
- Without giving a reason, Texas officials revealed their decision Thursday to not grant a posthumous pardon to George Floyd over a Houston drug conviction. The Board of Pardons and Paroles told the public defender who has represented Floyd in a letter, the Hill reports. A majority on the board opposed...
Texas Doctor Faces
Accused of Putting
Drugs in IV Bags
Sep 15, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Texas Doctor Faces Federal Charges, Accused of Putting Drugs in IV Bags
Dallas police have arrested Raynaldo Rivera Ortiz Jr.
: Dallas police arrested an anesthesiologist Wednesday on federal charges after an investigation into the death of a fellow physician and cardiac emergencies suffered by several other people. Raynaldo Rivera Ortiz Jr. is suspected of injecting nerve blocking agents and other drugs into patient IV bags at the surgery center...
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home,
Sent From Texas By Governor
Sep 15, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home, Sent From Texas By Governor
Abbott says he wanted vice president to understand the border situation
- Gov. Greg Abbott escalated his standoff with the Biden administration over border crossings, dispatching two buses carrying migrants to the Washington residence of Vice President Kamala Harris. The buses dropped off about 100 people early Thursday near the main gate to the Naval Observatory, the vice president's official home,...
Prosecutors: Man Who Didn't
Get Promotion Killed Family
Sep 15, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Man Who Didn't Get Promotion Killed Family
Feng Lu arrested in connection with 2014 Houston-area murders
- More than eight years after the murder of an entire family stunned the Houston area's Chinese community, an arrest has been made. According to court documents filed Wednesday, investigators believe 58-year-old Feng Lu killed Maoye Sun; his wife, Mei Xie; and their two sons, 7-year-old Titus and 9-year-old Timothy,...
50 Wheels of Undeclared
Cheese Cost NM Woman
Sep 13, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
50 Wheels of Undeclared Cheese Cost NM Woman
She was fined $1K after trying to enter Texas from Mexico
- Officers with Customs and Border Protection say they stopped a woman hiding contraband under a blanket in her SUV as she tried to cross the Texas border from Mexico earlier this month. But it wasn't drugs, or even weapons—though it may have been sharp: It was 50 wheels...
Kills 2 Breaking
Sep 11, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
17-Year-Old Grabs Shotgun, Kills 2 Breaking Into Home
Case will go to grand jury, Texas sheriff says
- A 17-year-old in a Houston suburb opened fire with a shotgun when three masked, armed men broke into a home, killing two of them. The third man fled the house and drove away, police said. A 12-year-old child, an adult woman, and another 17-year-old were in the Channelview home at...
Mistrial in Case of
Abusing Boy, 4
Sep 5, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Mistrial in Case of Ex-MLB Pitcher Accused of Abusing Boy, 4
Jury deadlocks in John Wetteland trial
The jury in the child sex assault trial of former All-Star and World Series MVP pitcher John Wetteland deadlocked, leading the judge to declare a mistrial Friday. "We will move forward, whether this means it is resolved through negotiations or trial again is up to him," a...
Teams Search for Victims After
9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
Sep 3, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Teams Search for Victims After 9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
River water was flowing five times faster than usual after heavy rain
- Officials on both sides of the US-Mexico border searched for more victims Saturday after at least nine migrants died while trying to cross the rain-swollen Rio Grande, a dangerous border-crossing attempt in an area where the river level had risen by more than 2 feet in a single day. US...
of the Future May
Sep 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Drinking Water of the Future May Come Increasingly From Toilets
In the face of climate change, recycled water could be a solution
- Garden hose bans are in place across much of Britain, where rivers and reservoirs are at unusually low levels following months of low rainfall. In the future, part of the solution will be "to reprocess the water that results from sewage treatment and turn it back into drinking water,...
an Odd One
Sep 2, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Southwest Pilot's Warning Was an Odd One
It wasn't about turbulence or an overbooked flight, but a passenger sending nude pics
- What happens in Texas apparently doesn't stay in Texas, because what took place on one Southwest Airlines flight getting ready to fly to Mexico is now making headlines all over the globe. That's thanks to a now-viral TikTok video taken by Teighlor Marsalis, who tells CNN she recorded...
Pregnant Driver Gets 2nd Ticket
for Driving in HOV Lane
Sep 1, 2022 10:11 AM CDT
Pregnant Driver Gets 2nd Ticket for Driving in HOV Lane
'You again?' deputy said to Brandy Bottone, who claims Texas abortion law supports her case
A traffic citation for a pregnant Texas woman who drove in the HOV lane, claiming her unborn baby counted as a passenger, has been dismissed. But Brandy Bottone decided to tempt fate, and Texas cops, once again: The
Dallas Morning News
reports the 32-year-old Plano woman was ticketed a...
Texas School Board's Rejection
of Arabic Sign May Be Unlawful
Aug 31, 2022 12:07 PM CDT
Texas School Board's Rejection of Arabic Sign May Be Unlawful
Activist could use case to challenge SB 797
- A Texas school district rejected "In God We Trust" signs printed in Arabic on Monday, despite a state law requiring that donated signs be displayed . The signs offered to the Carroll Independent School District by parent Sravan Krishna during a board meeting fit the parameters of Senate Bill 797,...
O'Rourke Ends Up in
Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Aug 29, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
O'Rourke Ends Up in Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Democratic gubernatorial candidate says he had bacterial illness, will rest at home for a bit
- Beto O'Rourke has temporarily paused his gubernatorial campaign and is resting up after a weekend hospitalization for a bacterial infection. The Hill reports that the Texas Democrat announced his malady Sunday on Twitter, noting he wasn't feeling well on Friday and so he went to San Antonio's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.