Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
46 Found Dead
in San Antonio
Jun 28, 2022 7:08 AM CDT
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
16 others hospitalized
- Inside an 18-wheeler in San Antonio, Texas, a horrific sight: 46 bodies, and another 16 people still alive but in dire shape. Shortly before 6pm Monday, a worker in the area called police after hearing a call for help from the truck, the
reports. Authorities arrived to find...
Warrant: Kaitlin Armstrong's
Gun a Match in Cyclist's Murder
Jun 24, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
Warrant: Kaitlin Armstrong's Gun a Match in Cyclist's Murder
Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, accused of killing Anna Moriah Wilson in Austin, remains at large
- Kaitlin Marie Armstrong told the elite cyclist she is accused of killing to "stay away" from her boyfriend, according to documents revealing what authorities say is increasing evidence against the 34-year-old who's been on the lam for more than a month. After being confronted on May 12 with...
Judge: Woman Who Arranged
Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Jun 23, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Judge: Woman Who Arranged Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Texas' Jennifer Faith gets life in prison for murder for hire
- A Texas woman who convinced an ex-lover to kill her husband with false tales of sexual abuse, then gave the man gifts and money using funds donated to a GoFundMe account she set up for herself as a victim, has been sentenced to life in prison. On Oct. 9, 2020,...
The War of Words
Continues in Uvalde
Jun 22, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
The War of Words Continues in Uvalde
Texas Department of Public Safety head, city mayor air their grievances
- On Tuesday we reported on the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety's forceful, scathing denunciation of the decisions made by local police during the mass shooting in Uvalde. Our story didn't contain one standout piece of information given in testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Cops: Boy Died in Hot Car
While Mom Prepared
Jun 21, 2022 6:11 PM CDT
Cops: Boy Died in Hot Car While Mom Prepared Sister's Party
Police say Texas boy was left in car for 2 to 3 hours
- A 5-year-old Houston-area boy died in a hot car while his mother was busy preparing his 8-year-old sister's birthday party, police say. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez says the woman took the two children to a store while getting ready for the party Monday and left the boy behind...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Jun 21, 2022 1:12 PM CDT
Gun Group Demands Apology From Cornyn
Organization says it's not a mob, despite senator's post-speech comment
- The boos at the Texas Republican convention weren't the end of it for Sen. John Cornyn. After jeering him as he defended his role in gun control negotiations in Washington in a speech Friday, a pro-gun access group said it felt disrespected, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. The senator...
2 Dead, 5 Hurt After
at Family BBQ
Jun 20, 2022 1:14 AM CDT
2 Dead, 5 Hurt After Drive-By Shooting at Family BBQ
All 7 shot in San Antonio incident were adults, though children were present
- An early Father's Day barbecue in San Antonio, Texas, turned deadly Saturday night when a drive-by shooting took place as guests were gathered in the front yard of a home. Two men, ages 45 and 46, were killed; five others, ages 19 to 44, were injured, KSAT reports. About...
Texas Republicans Give
Their Senator an Earful
Jun 19, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Texas Republicans Give Their Senator an Earful
GOP's John Cornyn is loudly booed at state convention for taking part in talks on gun safety
- Texas Republicans wrapped up their annual convention this weekend, and they made clear they're in no mood to compromise on guns or other hot-button issues. That became clear when longtime GOP Sen. John Cornyn addressed the convention and was roundly booed, reports the
. See video here via...
Texas City Loses
During Heat Wave
Jun 15, 2022 5:07 PM CDT
Texas City Loses Running Water During Heat Wave
Odessa officials blame aging infrastructure
- Crews worked to restore water service Wednesday to the West Texas city of Odessa, where residents have been without water this week amid scorching temperatures after an aging pipe broke. The city's water treatment plant was back online by about 8am Wednesday, and utility officials said it could take...
Hospital Shooter Was
Strapped to a Gurney
Jun 15, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Hospital Shooter Was Strapped to a Gurney
She was rapidly disarmed by quick-thinking EMT
- An active shooter strapped to a gurney in a Houston-area hospital could have killed people if she hadn't been disarmed by an EMT, police say. KHOU 11 reports that the woman, who had been taken to the HCA Conroe Hospital Emergency Room for a mental health evaluation, had her...
1 in 5 US Pregnancies
Ended in Abortion in 2020
Jun 15, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
1 in 5 US Pregnancies Ended in Abortion in 2020
Abortion is on the rise in all regions, even as Supreme Court looks poised to curtail access
- One in five pregnancies in the US in 2020 ended in abortion, according to research group Guttmacher Institute , which campaigns for abortion access and says the impact of a Roe v. Wade reversal will be even more devastating than previously thought. US abortions increased 8% from 2017, when there were...
Gunman Shot Dead at
Summer Sports Camp
Jun 14, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Police Identify Gunman Shot Dead at Summer Sports Camp
Brandon Keith Ned fired a shot into a locked classroom at Texas facility, police say
: Police in Duncanville, Texas have identified the man who was killed in an exchange of fire with officers at a sports facility Monday. Police say 42-year-old Brandon Keith Ned fired a shot in the lobby of the Duncanville Fieldhouse after exchanging words with a staff member, the
Know What This Is?
A Curious City
Would Like to Know
in case you missed it
Jun 12, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Know What This Is? A Curious City Would Like to Know
Amarillo, Texas, looking for help to identify strange figure spotted outside zoo
- Is Sonic the Hedgehog looking for friends in Amarillo? Officials in the Texas city are asking for the public's help to identify an odd-looking object, possibly creature, spotted near the city zoo. In the "dark and early morning hours" of May 21, security cameras inside an Amarillo Zoo...
Daughter Found 42 Years
After Parents' Deaths
Jun 9, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Daughter Found 42 Years After Parents' Deaths
Holly is alive and well, Texas reports, and has met her relatives online
- When the bodies of her parents were found in a wooded area of Houston in 1981, there was no sign of their infant daughter. "I prayed for more than 40 years for answers," said Donna Casasanta, the child's grandmother, CNN reports. She's now received at least...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
Surviving Uvalde Teacher
Will 'Never Forgive' Police
Jun 7, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Surviving Uvalde Teacher Will 'Never Forgive' Police
All 11 children in Arnulfo Reyes' classroom were killed in mass shooting
- A teacher who survived the Uvalde mass shooting says there is "no excuse" for police standing by for 77 minutes while children and teachers were killed. Arnulfo Reyes is hospitalized with gunshot wounds and grieving the two teachers and 19 students who were killed—including all 11 third and...
13 Shot at Graduation Parties
in Virginia and Texas, 1 Fatally
Jun 4, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
13 Shot at Graduation Parties in Virginia and Texas, 1 Fatally
Gunfire kills 20-year-old after fights break out
- More than a dozen people were shot, one fatally, at graduation parties in Virginia and Texas on Friday night. Gunfire erupted during a gathering in central Virginia, about 15 miles south of Richmond, police said Saturday, killing a 20-year-old man and wounding seven other young people. Two separate fights among...
Man 'Mad at His Girl'
Destroys Ancient Art
Jun 3, 2022 5:10 AM CDT
Man 'Mad at His Girl' Destroys Ancient Art
Police say man smashed his way into Dallas Museum of Art
- Ancient art was destroyed when a man smashed his way into the Dallas Museum of Art Wednesday night, but the devastation may not be as bad as initially feared, authorities say. Museum officials, who initially estimated the damage at $5 million, now say the total could be a "fraction...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.