Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Puts End Date
on EV Sales
Jan 16, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Lawmakers' Resolution Puts End Date on EV Sales
Wyoming would send a copy of symbolic measure to Biden, California
- Several Wyoming lawmakers want to send a message to the federal government and California about electric cars—by voting to phase out the sale of EVs in the state and sending copies of the resolution to President Biden and California Gov. Gavin Newsom. The Senate resolution , whose effect would be...
Jan 16, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Electric Vehicles Power Past Sales Milestone
They accounted for 10% of new vehicles sales worldwide last year
- Electric vehicles powered past a major milestone last year, reaching 10% of market share for the first time amid a broader decline in sales of new vehicles. While sales of new electric vehicles in the US are lagging behind, at just under 6%, the LMC Automotive research group says EVs...
Toyota Wants to
Convert Old Cars
Jan 13, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Toyota Wants to Convert Old Cars to Electric
Conversion offers a faster way to zero-emission vehicles, says CEO Akio Toyoda
- To accelerate the global move toward sustainable vehicles, Toyota is suggesting simply replacing the inner workings of vehicles already on the roads with cleaner technology like fuel cells and electric motors. "I don't want to leave any car lover behind," Chief Executive Akio Toyoda said Friday, per...
Teslas in the US Just
Got Less Expensive
Jan 13, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Teslas in the US Just Got Less Expensive
There are sudden big price drops on Model 3, Model Y cars in US, Europe as demand slows
- Last week, Tesla announced it was slashing the prices on all of its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles in China, in an attempt to keep up with a demand slowdown spurred by a slumping economy. Now, the US and Europe are getting a similar deal: Mashable reports the electric...
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk
Has a Message for Staff
Dec 29, 2022 9:50 AM CST
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk Has a Message for Staff
CEO assures employees that, one day, 'Tesla will be the most valuable company on Earth!'
- Short sellers are celebrating Tesla's plummeting stock prices , but investors aren't happy, and they're now begging CEO Elon Musk—who's sold off billions of dollars worth of his shares to help fund his newest company, Twitter—to stop dumping his stock. Tesla employees are also likely...
Buying an EV?
There's a Big,
New Tax Credit
Dec 26, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Buying an EV? There's a Big, New Tax Credit
Rules cover income limits, vehicle price, country of origin
- Starting Jan. 1, many Americans will qualify for a tax credit of up to $7,500 for buying an electric vehicle. The credit, part of changes enacted in the Inflation Reduction Act, is designed to spur EV sales and reduce greenhouse emissions. But a complex web of requirements, including where...
Tesla Rival's Flying Car
Makes Its Maiden Flight
Nov 4, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Tesla Rival's Flying Car Makes Its Maiden Flight
Xpeng's X3 was unveiled late last month, but it's got competition
- A Chinese electric-vehicle manufacturer that's considered a Tesla rival has driven its first flying car out of the garage and into the sky, and its unveiling is spurring buzz across the eVToL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) landscape. NPR reports that Xpeng held its annual Tech Day on Oct....
Administration Awards $2.8B
to Boost EV Battery Supply
Oct 19, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Administration Awards $2.8B to Boost EV Battery Supply
20 companies in at least 12 states receive grants
- The Biden administration on Wednesday awarded $2.8 billion in grants to boost domestic manufacturing of batteries for electric vehicles in 12 states. A total of 20 companies will receive grants for projects to extract and process lithium, graphite, and other battery materials, manufacture components, and strengthen US supply of...
'Makes Aviation History'
Sep 27, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
All-Electric Plane 'Makes Aviation History'
Prototype 'flew and handled wonderfully,' test pilot says
- A prototype, all-electric airplane took its first flight Tuesday morning in central Washington state. If the Federal Aviation Administration eventually certifies the small airplane to carry passengers, it could become the first all-electric commercial airplane, the
reports. The plane, built by startup Eviation, was built to carry nine...
Sep 9, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Tesla Considers Refining Lithium
Price of battery component has shot up, but supply hasn't
- Supply chain realities involving batteries have driven Tesla to consider building its own lithium hydroxide refining plant. The maker of electric vehicles has filed a notice with Texas saying that it's considering locations in Texas and Louisiana that have access to the Gulf Coast shipping channel. The company said...
Huge Step Toward
'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
Aug 26, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
California Takes Huge Step Toward 'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
State plans to ban sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035
- California has followed up its move to phase out gas-powered mowers with an even more ambitious goal—phasing out gas-powered cars. The California Air Resources Board voted Thursday in favor of banning the sale of new gas-powered cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs by 2035, the AP reports. After that date,...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
Here's How Expensive
It Is to Buy, Own a Car
Aug 18, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Here's How Expensive It Is to Buy, Own a Car
Average price paid for a new vehicle hit the highest on record in July
- It's more expensive than ever to purchase a new vehicle, and keeping it on the road is becoming more costly, too. The average cost of owning a new vehicle is currently $10,728 per year, or $894 per month—up 11% from 2021, according to AAA , which considered the...
Those Tax Incentives to Buy
Electric? There's a Problem
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 13, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Under stricter language in Senate climate bill, not a single car on the market today would qualify
- The legislation passed by the Senate over the weekend represents the biggest federal investment in clean energy in history, reports NPR . If adopted by the House later this week, it should bring the US "within shouting distance" of President Biden's plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions in half...
Ford Jacks the Price
on F-150 Lightning
Aug 9, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Ford Jacks the Price on F-150 Lightning
Company will honor MSRP on existing orders, but new customers will pay a lot more
- Ford CEO Jim Farley already staked his company’s future on the success of the all-electric F-150 Lightning. Per CNBC, the vehicle generated so much excitement that Ford was forced to cap preorders at 200,000 in January, five months before the first Lightning rolled off an assembly line. So...
Does Your Tesla
for No Reason?
You're Not Alone
Jun 3, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
Does Your Tesla Suddenly Brake for No Reason? You're Not Alone
NHTSA: More than 750 Tesla owners have reported 'phantom braking' phenomenon
- More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to US safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker's partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was...
Spawned From 'Rebellious
DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Jun 2, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Spawned From 'Rebellious DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Nearly 40 years after original DeLorean appeared in 'Back to the Future,' the Alpha5 electric version
- There's no Marty McFly behind the wheel, but the DeLorean is back—this time in electric form. Images and specs have been released for the Alpha5 , a concept electric vehicle that features the same signature gull-winged doors as seen in 1985's
Back to the Future
, though with "...
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
States Sue Postal Service
Over Its Truck Plan
Apr 28, 2022 2:16 PM CDT
States Sue Postal Service Over Its Truck Plan
Agency is buying vehicles that get just 8.6mpg
- The Postal Service disappointed a lot of people when it announced in February that only 10% of the roughly 150,000 delivery trucks it will buy in the next decade will be electric . Now, some of them are suing to block the purchases of gasoline vehicles, including 16 states, DC,...
Ford's CEO Stakes Company
Future on F-150 Lightning
Apr 24, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Ford's CEO Stakes Company Future on F-150 Lightning
The whole industry is transforming itself, but Tesla still dominates
- The all-electric F-150 “Lightning” weighs 3 tons and does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. If you’re Ford CEO Jim Farley, you know that because you have access to a test track, where you can catch air and hit 99mph in the home stretch just for fun. Like...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.