Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The Fed Hikes Rates Again, Just Not by as Much
Stories 1 - 20 |
Puts End Date
on EV Sales
Jan 16, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Lawmakers' Resolution Puts End Date on EV Sales
Wyoming would send a copy of symbolic measure to Biden, California
- Several Wyoming lawmakers want to send a message to the federal government and California about electric cars—by voting to phase out the sale of EVs in the state and sending copies of the resolution to President Biden and California Gov. Gavin Newsom. The Senate resolution , whose effect would be...
Jan 16, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Electric Vehicles Power Past Sales Milestone
They accounted for 10% of new vehicles sales worldwide last year
- Electric vehicles powered past a major milestone last year, reaching 10% of market share for the first time amid a broader decline in sales of new vehicles. While sales of new electric vehicles in the US are lagging behind, at just under 6%, the LMC Automotive research group says EVs...
Toyota Wants to
Convert Old Cars
Jan 13, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Toyota Wants to Convert Old Cars to Electric
Conversion offers a faster way to zero-emission vehicles, says CEO Akio Toyoda
- To accelerate the global move toward sustainable vehicles, Toyota is suggesting simply replacing the inner workings of vehicles already on the roads with cleaner technology like fuel cells and electric motors. "I don't want to leave any car lover behind," Chief Executive Akio Toyoda said Friday, per...
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk
Has a Message for Staff
Dec 29, 2022 9:50 AM CST
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk Has a Message for Staff
CEO assures employees that, one day, 'Tesla will be the most valuable company on Earth!'
- Short sellers are celebrating Tesla's plummeting stock prices , but investors aren't happy, and they're now begging CEO Elon Musk—who's sold off billions of dollars worth of his shares to help fund his newest company, Twitter—to stop dumping his stock. Tesla employees are also likely...
Buying an EV?
There's a Big,
New Tax Credit
Dec 26, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Buying an EV? There's a Big, New Tax Credit
Rules cover income limits, vehicle price, country of origin
- Starting Jan. 1, many Americans will qualify for a tax credit of up to $7,500 for buying an electric vehicle. The credit, part of changes enacted in the Inflation Reduction Act, is designed to spur EV sales and reduce greenhouse emissions. But a complex web of requirements, including where...
Administration Awards $2.8B
to Boost EV Battery Supply
Oct 19, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Administration Awards $2.8B to Boost EV Battery Supply
20 companies in at least 12 states receive grants
- The Biden administration on Wednesday awarded $2.8 billion in grants to boost domestic manufacturing of batteries for electric vehicles in 12 states. A total of 20 companies will receive grants for projects to extract and process lithium, graphite, and other battery materials, manufacture components, and strengthen US supply of...
'Makes Aviation History'
Sep 27, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
All-Electric Plane 'Makes Aviation History'
Prototype 'flew and handled wonderfully,' test pilot says
- A prototype, all-electric airplane took its first flight Tuesday morning in central Washington state. If the Federal Aviation Administration eventually certifies the small airplane to carry passengers, it could become the first all-electric commercial airplane, the
reports. The plane, built by startup Eviation, was built to carry nine...
Sep 9, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Tesla Considers Refining Lithium
Price of battery component has shot up, but supply hasn't
- Supply chain realities involving batteries have driven Tesla to consider building its own lithium hydroxide refining plant. The maker of electric vehicles has filed a notice with Texas saying that it's considering locations in Texas and Louisiana that have access to the Gulf Coast shipping channel. The company said...
Huge Step Toward
'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
Aug 26, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
California Takes Huge Step Toward 'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
State plans to ban sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035
- California has followed up its move to phase out gas-powered mowers with an even more ambitious goal—phasing out gas-powered cars. The California Air Resources Board voted Thursday in favor of banning the sale of new gas-powered cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs by 2035, the AP reports. After that date,...
Those Tax Incentives to Buy
Electric? There's a Problem
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 13, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Under stricter language in Senate climate bill, not a single car on the market today would qualify
- The legislation passed by the Senate over the weekend represents the biggest federal investment in clean energy in history, reports NPR . If adopted by the House later this week, it should bring the US "within shouting distance" of President Biden's plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions in half...
Ford Jacks the Price
on F-150 Lightning
Aug 9, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Ford Jacks the Price on F-150 Lightning
Company will honor MSRP on existing orders, but new customers will pay a lot more
- Ford CEO Jim Farley already staked his company’s future on the success of the all-electric F-150 Lightning. Per CNBC, the vehicle generated so much excitement that Ford was forced to cap preorders at 200,000 in January, five months before the first Lightning rolled off an assembly line. So...
Does Your Tesla
for No Reason?
You're Not Alone
Jun 3, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
Does Your Tesla Suddenly Brake for No Reason? You're Not Alone
NHTSA: More than 750 Tesla owners have reported 'phantom braking' phenomenon
- More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to US safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker's partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was...
Spawned From 'Rebellious
DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Jun 2, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Spawned From 'Rebellious DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Nearly 40 years after original DeLorean appeared in 'Back to the Future,' the Alpha5 electric version
- There's no Marty McFly behind the wheel, but the DeLorean is back—this time in electric form. Images and specs have been released for the Alpha5 , a concept electric vehicle that features the same signature gull-winged doors as seen in 1985's
Back to the Future
, though with "...
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
States Sue Postal Service
Over Its Truck Plan
Apr 28, 2022 2:16 PM CDT
States Sue Postal Service Over Its Truck Plan
Agency is buying vehicles that get just 8.6mpg
- The Postal Service disappointed a lot of people when it announced in February that only 10% of the roughly 150,000 delivery trucks it will buy in the next decade will be electric . Now, some of them are suing to block the purchases of gasoline vehicles, including 16 states, DC,...
Ford's CEO Stakes Company
Future on F-150 Lightning
Apr 24, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Ford's CEO Stakes Company Future on F-150 Lightning
The whole industry is transforming itself, but Tesla still dominates
- The all-electric F-150 “Lightning” weighs 3 tons and does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. If you’re Ford CEO Jim Farley, you know that because you have access to a test track, where you can catch air and hit 99mph in the home stretch just for fun. Like...
First Maserati EV
to Have Major Power
Mar 17, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
First Maserati EV to Have Major Power
Automaker plans electric versions of every model by 2025
- Maserati on Thursday announced its plan for switching to electric vehicles, with a goal of being out of the internal-combustion engine business by around 2030. The Italian automaker plans to offer an electric version of every model by 2025, CNBC reports, a product lineup labeled Folgore. That timetable is on...
Inside America's Race for
a Better Electric Car Battery
Mar 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Inside America's Race for a Better Electric Car Battery
Auto giants hope small start-ups can propel America in the race for a better battery
- Big problems in the supply chain for electric-car batteries came to light last March, when Elon Musk partnered directly with a New Caledonian nickel mine amid rumors that China was planning export limits,
reported at the time. China retains a "near-monopoly position" on the world’s production and...
Ford Is Breaking Up
Mar 2, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Ford Is Breaking Up
CEO says restructuring will help company beat the competition in electric vehicles
- Ford will split its electric vehicle and internal combustion operations into two distinct but strategically interdependent businesses as part of a major restructuring to accelerate its adaptation of new technology, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday, adding its transformation into an EV company is accelerating. Ford Model e—to be led...
USPS Says It Can't Afford
to Make New Fleet Electric
Feb 9, 2022 4:45 PM CST
USPS Says It Can't Afford to Make New Fleet Electric
EPA calls plan to make 90% of new vehicles gas-powered a 'crucial lost opportunity'
- The United States Postal Service is replacing its delivery fleet for the first time in 30 years—and critics including the Environmental Protection Agency aren't happy about plans to make most of the new vehicles gas-guzzlers. Under current plans, only 10% of the fleet's 165,000 new delivery...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.