Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Netflix to Customers:
We Don't Want DVDs Back
Aug 28, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Netflix to Customers: We Don't Want DVDs Back
And subscribers can enter for a chance to get 10 more
- After a quarter-century, Netflix is shutting down its DVD-by-mail rental service . As for what it plans to do with all those DVDs, the last of which will be mailed to subscribers by September 29, Netflix says customers can keep the discs from their final shipments and will not be charged...
With Actors, Writers on Strike,
Netflix Advertises $900K AI Job
Jul 27, 2023 5:11 AM CDT
With Actors, Writers on Strike, Netflix Advertises $900K AI Job
Company seeks to increase the 'leverage of our machine learning platform'
- With actors and writers on strike together for the first time since 1960, a job listing from Netflix is raising eyebrows. The company is offering up to $900,000 for an artificial intelligence-related job that involves increasing the "leverage of our machine learning platform," the
Netflix Says Crackdown
Has Paid Off
Jul 19, 2023 5:31 PM CDT
Netflix Says Crackdown Has Paid Off
Springtime rise in subscribers was biggest since pandemic
- The crackdown on password-sharing appears to have paid off handsomely for Netflix. The company said Wednesday that it added 5.9 million subscribers in the second quarter of this year—which ended before the actors' strike began—and revenue was up 3% year-on-year, the
New York Times
reports. The springtime...
Critics Slam Netflix for
Jun 29, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Critics Slam Netflix for Bringing Back
Insiders say it's a coincidence, not an attempt to profit from Titan tragedy
- When Netflix arranged for
to return to the streaming service on July 1, the company probably wasn't expecting people to complain that it was too soon. The company is facing backlash accusing it of trying to profit from the Titan submersible tragedy, with Twitter users calling the move...
Netflix Signups Surged
After Crackdown Began
Jun 9, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Netflix Signups Surged After Crackdown Began
Analytics firm says growth was even stronger than it was in early days of pandemic
- Netflix's crackdown on password sharing might have caused some grumbling—and some digs from Blockbuster , among others—but the move has paid off, according to Antenna , a streaming analytics company. Antenna says that after Netflix started sending users emails about the new rules on May 23, subscriber growth surged...
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia
in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
May 26, 2023 10:36 AM CDT
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
'We didn't care who you shared [our videos] with,' company tweets
- Netflix's crackdown on password sharing is underway, leaving some to wax poetic about yesteryear, when the company promoted the practice as "love." Speaking of nostalgia, here comes Blockbuster to remind us all of the simplicity of Friday night movie rentals shared with family and friends. "A...
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago.
A Netflix Watcher Found Her
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago. A Netflix Watcher Found Her
Illinois' Kayla Unbehaun, 15, turns up in North Carolina; mom is arrested
- In November, the Netflix series
featured an episode on family abductions, including the case of Kayla Unbehaun, who vanished from South Elgin, Illinois, at the age of 9 after a visit with her mom, who didn't have custody of her. Nearly six years later, Kayla, now 15,...
Apr 29, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Debate Rages Over Netflix's Black Cleopatra
Some Egyptian experts are fuming over what they say is a false portrayal
- Jada Pinkett Smith, executive producer and narrator of the new Netflix drama-documentary series
, says it was "really important for me" to highlight "stories about Black queens," per the
. The series premiering May 10 certainly portrays the last pharoah of Egypt as Black, with mixed-race...
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in
Movie. He's Not Happy About It
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in Movie. He's Not Happy About It
Taylor Hazlewood says streaming platform stole his photo from Instagram, insinuated he was a killer
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
, a documentary on Netflix, debuted earlier this year, detailing the rise and fall of Caleb McGillvary, a Canadian who once went viral after helping an assault victim, then was later convicted of murder in an unrelated case. But it was the photo of a completely...
an 'Intellectual Whirlwind'
Apr 21, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Is an 'Intellectual Whirlwind'
Keri Russell shines as Kate Wyler, opposite a 'first-rate' Rufus Sewell
- Five years since she last played a Russian spy in
, Keri Russell is back on TV and killing it.
, an eight-episode Netflix series from showrunner Debora Cahn (
The West Wing
), finds Russell (lead actor and executive producer) on the US side as a longtime State...
Netflix: A Crackdown on
US Password Sharing Is Nigh
Apr 21, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Netflix: A Crackdown on US Password Sharing Is Nigh
Move to paid sharing has been a success in Canada, company says
- American users of Netflix avoided a crackdown on password-sharing longer than users in other countries but change is on the way, the company said this week. Netflix says paid sharing will be rolled out in the US this quarter. Users will be able to add up to two people outside...
Netflix Plans on Ditching
Apr 18, 2023 6:34 PM CDT
Netflix Plans on Ditching DVD-by-Mail Rentals
This marks the end of a service that began 25 years ago
- Netflix announced in a blog post Tuesday that it is stopping its DVD-by-mail rental service, ending an era that began 25 years ago. The company said it will shutter DVD.com, its physical rental division, because diminished demand for physical rentals is making it tough to continue a quality service....
Back Into the
Mar 5, 2023 7:48 AM CST
Chris Rock Brings Jada Back Into the Conversation
Comedian weighs in on Oscars slap in new special
- Chris Rock didn't devote his whole live-streamed show Saturday night to the infamous Oscars slap , but he spoke about the incident more than he has previously. Both Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett Smith ended up as targets in the Netflix show. Some of the lines, via the AP...
of Elvis Will
Feb 6, 2023 6:20 PM CST
Next Voice of Elvis Will Be Matthew McConaughey's
Netflix to roll out animated 'Agent Elvis' in March
- The King of Rock 'n' Roll as a federal agent might seem far-fetched, but it didn't to Elvis. He once went to Washington in hopes of meeting President Nixon, offering his services to the country in exchange for a badge, per
. "I will be here...
Mean to Post About
Feb 2, 2023 5:20 PM CST
Netflix Didn't Mean to Post About Password Crackdown
Mistake gives customers a first look at what's under consideration
- Netflix has taken down guidelines on its password sharing crackdown posted prematurely Wednesday on its FAQ pages for US customers. The information applied to trials it's running in Chile, Peru, and Costa Rica, the
reports. The post was customers' first look at what the company is planning, per...
Isn't Who You
Think She Is
Jan 27, 2023 11:38 AM CST
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
'LAT' op-ed says new memoir, documentary show a survivor who doesn't dwell on the past
- Prince Harry's memoir has been all the rage this month, but another one is about to drop that's already stealing away some of those headlines.
, penned by
star Pamela Anderson, is set for release on Tuesday, as is
Pamela: A Love Story
, a complementary documentary...
'Netflix Curse' Hits
Australia Open Players
Jan 24, 2023 9:03 PM CST
'Netflix Curse' Hits Australia Open Players
None of the 10 players featured in 'Break Point' made it to tournament's second week
- The first Grand Slam tournament has been wall-to-wall failure for tennis stars affected by the so-called "Netflix curse." Out of the 10 top tennis players featured in Netflix documentary
, which came out last week, three didn't even make it to the Australian Open, the
Netflix Announces Surprise
Jan 20, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Netflix Announces Surprise Leadership Shake-Up
Co-founder Reed Hastings steps down as co-CEO, will stay on as executive chairman
- Netflix has a new co-CEO. Greg Peters, who has been serving as the streaming service's chief operating officer, will now take the helm alongside Ted Sarandos, replacing co-founder Reed Hastings, reports the Verge . Hastings will stick around as the company's executive chairman, "a role that founders often...
Could Be Very
Jan 18, 2023 12:10 PM CST
Netflix's Next Flight Attendant Could Be Very Well Paid
Job listing suggests compensation tops out at $385K
- Netflix has a slot open on its "dream crew," and applicants don't need to know the difference between a gaffer and a key grip. That's because this crew isn't focused on the company's TV and movie slate but on Netflix Aviation, and it's...
Netflix to Make
Investment in Jersey
Dec 22, 2022 7:22 AM CST
Netflix to Make 'Transformative' Investment in Jersey
Streaming company is planning $900M facility at former Army base at Jersey Shore
- Netflix said Wednesday it plans to build a state-of-the-art production facility at a former Army base at the Jersey Shore that will cost more than $900 million and create thousands of jobs. The California-based company will pay $55 million for a 292-acre site on the former Fort Monmouth military base...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.