Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sudan's War May Take
a Surprise Toll on Coke, Pepsi
May 7, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Sudan's War May Take a Surprise Toll on Coke, Pepsi
Fighting threatens the supply of gum arabic, an ingredient vital for soda-makers
- The war between two generals in Sudan is threatening to create what the UN calls a humanitarian catastrophe . But big-name manufacturers of everything from soda to chewing gum are bracing for a smaller effect: shortages of a vital ingredient called gum arabic. Rural regions in Sudan produce 70% of the...
For the 4th Time,
Pepsi Takes Aim at
Apr 25, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
For the 4th Time, Pepsi Takes Aim at Coke's Sprite
It hopes Starry will wrest the lemon-lime soda crown away from its No. 1 rival
- Pepsi wants a piece of Coca-Cola's lemon-lime pie with its new soft drink, Starry, which it's marketing as for "a generation of irreverent optimists." Bloomberg reports that this marks the company's fourth try at taking on Sprite's dominance. Coca-Cola's clear soda (both regular...
This Is How We Know
Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
Apr 19, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
This Is How We Know Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
At least this black bear in BC, who downed 69 cans of regular from woman's car but not the diet version
- Diet soda isn't for everyone, and now we can add bears to that list—or at least this particular one in Canada, who broke into a resident's vehicle and quaffed 69 cans of regular pop before calling it a night. Per the CBC , Sharon Rosel of Earls Cove,...
Here's Another Way Sugary
Sodas May Be Bad for You
May 10, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Here's Another Way Sugary Sodas May Be Bad for You
Study suggests link with early onset colorectal cancer in women
- Can a daily sugary drink raise the risk of cancer? A new study in the journal
suggests the possibility. Researchers say women in an ongoing study were twice as likely to be diagnosed with colorectal cancer before 50 if they drank about a pint of sugary drinks every day,...
Like Pepsi? Like
You're in Luck
Dec 19, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Like Pepsi? Like Hot Chocolate? You're in Luck
Soft drink giant is launching Cocoa Cola
- On Thursday, the Pepsi Twitter feed put up a rather intriguing call to action. In honor of bidding adieu to the "worst year ever" and welcoming 2021, the soft drink giant asked for 2,021 retweets of a picture of its latest potential offering: Cocoa Cola, a soda described...
This Soda 'Did
Its Job.' Now
It's Time to Go
Oct 16, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
This Soda 'Did Its Job.' Now It's Time to Go
Coca-Cola is cutting diet drink Tab from its portfolio after nearly 60 years
- Rarely does a company keep selling a product that barely makes a dent in sales. For decades, though, Coca-Cola kept churning out Tab, a saccharin-sweetened beverage that once ruled the diet soda category, purely for the drink's obsessive fan base, who became known as "Tabaholics"—even after...
Dr. Pepper Plays a Role
in 2 Sad, Strange Cases
Jan 4, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Dr. Pepper Plays a Role in 2 Sad, Strange Cases
Chad Kinnaird, 39, is arrested for pointing a gun at his son's head
- A Louisiana man is in hot water for allegedly putting a loaded gun to his son's head—because the boy drank their last Dr. Pepper, KATC reports. Chad Kinnaird, 39, was arrested Wednesday after the apparent incident in West Monroe. According to authorities, Kinnaird had been drinking and got...
A Meeting Was Set to Start.
Then, a Splash and 'Oh, My God'
Dec 16, 2019 9:55 AM CST
A Meeting Was Set to Start. Then, a Splash and 'Oh, My God'
Georgia county commissioner's wife accused of dumping soda on reporter
- The wife of a county commissioner in Georgia is facing battery and disorderly conduct charges after an incident Friday before a budget meeting. The
reports that AllOnGeorgia reporter Casie Bryant was in the conference room to cover the meeting, which included Chattooga County Commissioner Jason Winters, who can...
Kid's Clever Beer Sign
Impresses Cops, a Senator
Jul 19, 2019 1:51 PM CDT
Kid's Clever Beer Sign Impresses Cops, a Senator
Read the fine print: They're root beers
- A Utah boy has earned widespread social media attention for his neighborhood soda stand thanks to a rather genius sign. It reads, "Ice Cold Beer" with "root" above the word beer in tiny print, per the AP . Brigham City Police responded after several residents reported a young boy...
Jan 31, 2019 5:17 PM CST
San Francisco's Soda Warnings Ruled Unconstitutional
Federal appeals court blocks city's law
- A federal appeals court on Thursday blocked a San Francisco law requiring health warnings on advertisements for soda and other sugary drinks in a victory for beverage and retail groups that sued to block the ordinance, the AP reports. The law violates constitutionally protected commercial speech, the 9th US Circuit...
Mean Pricier Coke
Jul 26, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Trump's Tariffs Mean Pricier Coke
Hit on aluminum imports is one factor
- President Trump's favored Diet Cokes will be climbing in price as a result of recently imposed tariffs. Coca-Cola says it's raising prices for several reasons, including new tariffs on aluminum imports. "We had to take with our bottling partners an increase [in prices] on our sparkling beverage...
Coke's Newest Offering
Has Booze in It
Mar 7, 2018 1:13 PM CST
Coke's Newest Offering Has Booze in It
But you'll have to go to Japan to sample Chu-Hi
- Coke: the pause that intoxicates. At least in Japan, where the Coca-Cola Co. will now offer a boozy carbonated beverage called Chu-Hi. The
reports this "alcopop" will be made up of fizzy water, flavoring, and a distilled Japanese alcohol called shochu, which
has described as "the...
New Diet Coke Flavors
Bow to Millennial Whims
Jan 11, 2018 4:33 PM CST
New Diet Coke Flavors Bow to Millennial Whims
'Millennials are now thirstier than ever'
- It appears soda-makers are getting increasingly desperate to hook young people on their product. On Wednesday, Coca-Cola announced four new flavors of Diet Coke—Twisted Mango, Feisty Cherry, Ginger Lime, and Zesty Blood Orange—expressly targeting Millennials, CNN reports. "Millennials are now thirstier than ever for adventures and new...
Pepsi Preps for Holidays
With 2 New Flavors
Nov 10, 2017 9:00 AM CST
Pepsi Preps for Holidays With 2 New Flavors
Salted Caramel in the US, cake-flavored Christmas Cola in Japan
- You can now have your cake and drink it, too.
Food & Wine
reports on a new limited-edition dessert-flavored drink from Pepsi, though you'll have to travel to Japan to sample it. Christmas Cola, which goes on sale there Nov. 21, is a white soda that Kotaku describes as...
Ends 6-Decade Ban
Sep 21, 2017 7:17 PM CDT
Mormon-Owned BYU Ends 6-Decade Ban
Caffeinated soft drinks are now being sold on Brigham Young University campus
- Mormon church-owned Brigham Young University ended a six-decade ban Thursday on the sale of caffeinated soft drinks on campus, surprising students by posting a picture of a can of Coca-Cola on Twitter and just two words: "It's happening." The move sparked social media celebrations from current and...
Enjoy Your Coke Zero
While You Can, America
Jul 26, 2017 3:42 PM CDT
Enjoy Your Coke Zero While You Can, America
Coca-Cola is replacing Coke Zero with new-ish Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
- Don't call it "New Coke Zero."
reports Coca-Cola will begin phasing out Coke Zero in the US next month, replacing it with the new Coca-Cola Zero Sugar. But the new soda isn't actually all that new. Coca-Cola states it experimented with the recipe for...
May 16, 2017 10:27 AM CDT
'Unexpected' Pepsi Flavor Not Wowing Soda Fans
Early testers aren't taking to cinnamon-infused Pepsi Fire
- Strike two for Pepsi? A month after becoming the laughingstock of advertising , the company has debuted a new soda flavor for summer that Mashable describes as "unequivocal bad." Pepsi Fire, which will be stocked in stores for eight weeks beginning May 22, is a cinnamon-infused soda that tastes...
'I Like Watching the Bodies'
May 23, 2016 9:32 AM CDT
CrossFit Founder: 'I Like Watching the Bodies'
Greg Glassman deflects criticism about injuries, rails against 'a--holes' in soda industry
- Despite allegations of injuries caused by questionable techniques, the fitness phenomenon known as CrossFit is said to boast an estimated 4 million members around the globe with a program that
says "has come to dominate the athletic world." And it has no bigger fan than its founder,...
With Felony After
Water Cup With Soda
Apr 20, 2016 3:58 PM CDT
Man Charged With Felony After Filling McDonald's Water Cup With Soda
Cops say manager was hit by car trying to stop him
- An Arkansas man is facing felony charges after allegedly filling his free water cup with not-free soda Monday at a McDonald's in Springdale, KHBS/KHOG reports. Police say 18-year-old Cody Morris and two others drove through the McDonald's drive-thru and ordered three large waters. They then parked, went into...
Coke Shakes Things Up in
Face of Declining Sales
Apr 19, 2016 4:32 PM CDT
Coke Shakes Things Up in Face of Declining Sales
Get used to seeing a lot more red
- Diet Coke fans may soon be seeing red. That's because, as BuzzFeed reports, Coca-Cola is redesigning its bottles and cans to make "Coca-Cola Red," the color most associated with Original Coke, more prominent for Diet Coke, Coke Zero, and whatever Coke Life is. For example, the new...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.