Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mother Trapped in
Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Feb 7, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Mother Trapped in Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Sadly, the mother died after earthquake in Syria, but her newborn was rescued
- Thousands are dead after a devastating earthquake that wreaked havoc in Turkey and Syria, but there are small pieces of good news amid the carnage. First, a toddler was pulled out of the rubble Monday in the Syrian city of Azaz; that was followed by the rescue of a 14-year-old...
Syria 'Evicts Terrorists'
From Rebel Highway
Feb 8, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Syria 'Evicts Terrorists' From Rebel Highway
The government takes more ground from insurgents
- Syrian government forces captured new areas from insurgents in their efforts to control a key highway in the northwest Saturday, as Turkey sent more reinforcements into the war-torn country, state media and opposition activists said, per the AP . The weekslong government offensive has created a humanitarian crisis with about 600,...
Woman Found in
Could Be a
Nov 5, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Woman Found in Syrian Trailer Could Be a 'Gold Mine'
Rasmiya Awad, said to have been detained by Turkish forces, is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's sister
- US authorities weren't able to question former ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi before his death in Syria. But they might get to question his older sister. Rasmiya Awad, 65, was seized Monday in a raid near the town of Azaz in Aleppo province, according to Turkish officials who now...
Scale of Devastation
in Aleppo Is Staggering
Dec 23, 2016 3:10 AM CST
Scale of Devastation in Aleppo Is Staggering
Rebuilding Syria's biggest city could cost $40B
- After more than four years of brutal street fighting and punishing aerial bombardments, the staggering extent of destruction in Aleppo begins to emerge: Tens of thousands of homes and apartments are uninhabitable, most factories have been looted or destroyed, and some ancient landmarks have been reduced to rubble, the AP...
After 4 Years of War,
Syria Reclaims Aleppo
Dec 22, 2016 1:28 PM CST
After 4 Years of War, Syria Reclaims Aleppo
It's a crippling blow to the opposition
- The Syrian city of Aleppo returned to government control Thursday after the last remaining opposition fighters and civilians evacuated, ending a four-year rebel hold over parts of the country. The announcement was made through an army statement broadcast on Syrian state TV shortly after the last four buses carrying fighters...
Bana Alabed Goes From Ruins
of Aleppo to Presidential Palace
Dec 21, 2016 4:00 PM CST
Bana Alabed Goes From Ruins of Aleppo to Presidential Palace
7-year-old Twitter star thanks Erdogan for 'supporting the children of Aleppo'
- From the war-torn ruins of eastern Aleppo to the presidential palace in Turkey. CNN reports 7-year-old Bana Alabed—whose Twitter account has gained more than 350,000 followers since September—posed for photos and video with Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday in Ankara. "Thank you for supporting...
Twitter Star Is Safe
Dec 19, 2016 5:03 AM CST
Young Syrian Twitter Star Is Safe
Bana Alabed is evacuated from Aleppo
- One of the most famous residents of besieged Aleppo has made it out safely. Tweets from humanitarian officials show that 7-year-old Bana Alabed was evacuated safely from the city on Monday, reports the
. As government forces had closed in on the city in recent weeks, the girl's Twitter...
Why Syrian Rebels Allegedly
Burned Evacuation Buses
Dec 18, 2016 4:33 PM CST
Why Syrian Rebels Allegedly Burned Evacuation Buses
The 6 vehicles were poised to enter 2 pro-government villages
- France struck a compromise Sunday with Russia on a UN resolution that it said would prevent "mass atrocities" in besieged areas of Aleppo, where thousands of trapped civilians and rebel fighters await evacuation in freezing temperatures, reports the AP . The resolution to deploy UN monitors to eastern Aleppo to...
Obama to Russia:
'We Can Do Stuff to You'
Dec 16, 2016 5:50 PM CST
Obama to Russia: 'We Can Do Stuff to You'
Obama delivers final press conference of his presidency
- President Obama held the final press conference of his presidency Friday before jetting off for his annual Hawaiian vacation. Here's what was said and what was said about it:
Aleppo Evacuees Are Fleeing
to Idlib. Now Idlib Is a Target
Dec 16, 2016 11:11 AM CST
Aleppo Evacuees Are Fleeing to Idlib. Now Idlib Is a Target
Syria's Assad expected to go after last rebel stronghold
- The evacuation of civilians and anti-government fighters from eastern Aleppo ran into yet another snag Friday, though negotiations were underway to get it back on track, reports Reuters . If it resumes, thousands of people are expected to head west and end up in the Syrian province of Idlib near the...
Aleppo Evacuation Is On,
Despite Reports of Sniper Fire
Dec 15, 2016 6:18 AM CST
Aleppo Evacuation Is On, Despite Reports of Sniper Fire
Syria's Assad about to reclaim city in major victory
- Rescuers are trying again to evacuate the last civilians trapped by fighting in eastern Aleppo, and reports surfaced of deadly sniper fire even before the buses left. But this time, it appears the evacuation is proceeding, unlike the aborted effort on Wednesday . Under a new deal brokered by Russia and...
No End in Aleppo:
Return to Depots Empty
Dec 14, 2016 6:28 AM CST
No End in Aleppo: Evacuation Buses Return to Depots Empty
- Looks like the "complete meltdown of humanity" in Aleppo will continue for at least another day. The ceasefire declared in the war-ravaged Syrian city Tuesday appears, to nobody's surprise, to have broken down, leaving tens of thousands of civilians in rebel-held areas stranded in desperate conditions. Reuters reports...
Rebels to Leave:
Battle for Aleppo Has Ended
Dec 13, 2016 12:29 PM CST
Rebels to Leave: Battle for Aleppo Has Ended
Russian UN ambassador confirms the deal
- After four years , the battle for Aleppo is apparently no more. Russia's UN envoy on Tuesday confirmed what rebel officials had said a short time earlier: The fighting would cease Tuesday night, with rebel fighters leaving the city." My latest information is that they indeed have an arrangement...
'Always Remember Us': Aleppo
Residents Post Final Goodbyes
Dec 13, 2016 7:41 AM CST
'Always Remember Us': Aleppo Residents Post Final Goodbyes
Reports of more than 80 civilians shot on sight, 'complete meltdown of humanity'
- If conditions could get incrementally worse than "barely survivable," they just did in Aleppo, Syria. The human rights arm of the United Nations says that forces supporting the Syrian regime have been entering homes in eastern Aleppo and murdering residents, with one report coming in that 82 civilians...
Dec 8, 2016 11:04 AM CST
Assad: Winning Back Aleppo Won't Stop the War
Syrian president vows to keep fighting rebels even if his forces liberate war-torn city
- President Bashar al-Assad said in comments published Thursday that Syrian forces' victory in the battle for Aleppo will be a "big gain" for his government but that it won't end the country's civil war, the AP reports. Assad, in an interview published in the state-owned newspaper
What Syrian Rebels
Have Held for Years
Is Now Mostly Lost
Dec 7, 2016 9:33 AM CST
What Syrian Rebels Have Held for Years Is Now Mostly Lost
Government now controls about three-fourths of eastern Aleppo
- Syrian government troops and allied militiamen seized more ground in Aleppo's ancient quarters on Wednesday. With the latest gains, the endgame for Syria's largest city, which has been carved up between the government and the rebel side for the past four years, appeared to draw even closer. If...
Civilians Pay the Price
With Aleppo Poised to Fall
Nov 29, 2016 10:10 AM CST
Civilians Pay the Price With Aleppo Poised to Fall
President Assad's forces on brink of reclaiming city from rebels
- Bashar al-Assad's government forces in Syria are poised to reclaim Aleppo, and two weeks of attacks have displaced thousands of residents. Here's a look at developments:
The big picture: Aleppo would give Assad control of Syria's five biggest cities, meaning it's likely he's going to
JK Rowling Fan
in Aleppo Is
Nov 28, 2016 7:13 AM CST
JK Rowling Fan in Aleppo Is Now Homeless
'In between death and life now, please keep praying for us'
- Days after JK Rowling sent her
books , 7-year-old Bana Alabed no longer has a home in which to read them. Since September, Bana's mother has amassed 136,000 followers on Twitter by revealing the horrifying realities of life in Aleppo, Syria, which led Rowling to reach out....
JK Rowling Makes Some
Magic for Young Girl in Aleppo
Nov 23, 2016 2:22 PM CST
JK Rowling Makes Some Magic for Young Girl in Aleppo
The author sent 'Harry Potter' books to the girl in war-torn Syria
- JK Rowling just introduced another child surrounded by daily horrors to the wizarding world. But instead of Harry Potter living under the Dursleys' stairs, it's 7-year-old Bana Alabed living with her family in war-torn Aleppo.The
reports Bana's parents are trying to distract her from the fighting...
Families Try to
Nov 23, 2016 8:05 AM CST
Families Try to Flee Aleppo, Rebels Stop Them: Report
As conditions have gone from 'terrible to terrifying and now barely survivable'
- A Syrian monitoring group alleged Tuesday that rebels are preventing dozens of families from fleeing eastern Aleppo as Russian-backed government forces intensify their bombardment of the besieged quarter, the AP reports. Such claims are difficult to verify and often distorted due to propaganda, but Syrian and Russian state media maintain...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.