Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Cops: UPS Workers Made
Some Very Illegal Deliveries
Feb 28, 2023 12:53 PM CST
Cops: UPS Workers Made Some Very Illegal Deliveries
Two workers accused in drug trafficking scheme out of Texas
- Some UPS drivers encounter trouble with snow, others with a very different kind of white powder. Two UPS employees are facing up to life in prison for "knowingly" transporting cocaine, federal authorities say . An indictment unsealed in the Southern District of Texas describes the drug trafficking scheme that involved...
Murdaugh's Drug Habit
Cost $50K—Per Week
Feb 16, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Murdaugh's Drug Habit Cost $50K—Per Week
Admission triggers a blow to South Carolina lawyer's murder defense
- The judge in Alex Murdaugh's murder trial made a dramatic reversal Wednesday after defense attorneys claimed authorities had failed to investigate lines of evidence that could point to other possible killers in the June 2021 murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh. During cross-examination, defense attorney Jim Griffin asked SLED...
Hong Kong Has a New
'Dangerous Drug': CBD
Feb 1, 2023 1:50 PM CST
Hong Kong Has a New 'Dangerous Drug': CBD
The possession, use, and sale of it is now criminalized
- Elsewhere in the world, a loosening of drug laws—and a big tightening. The latter refers to Hong Kong, which as of Wednesday now criminalizes the possession, consumption, and selling of the "dangerous drug" cannabidiol, or CBD. As CBS News notes, that means CBD has the same classification as...
'Tranq' Is Making Fentanyl
Scarier—and More Grotesque
Jan 10, 2023 9:25 AM CST
'Tranq' Is Making Fentanyl Scarier—and More Grotesque
The animal sedative, increasingly used as a cutting agent, causes skin to blacken and die
- Veterinarians know it as xylazine; some users know it as "zombie dope," and Jan Hoffman's piece for the
New York Times
makes it clear why. As one user put it, "my arms were dying." That's no exaggeration. The animal tranquilizer—most commonly referred to...
One State Is Training
Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Jan 1, 2023 2:40 PM CST
One State Is Training Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Oregon, set to be the first state to offer controlled use of psilocybin, is training students
- At a woodsy retreat center in Oregon, some 30 men and women are seated or lying down, masks covering their eyes and listening to serene music. They're among the first crop of students being trained on how to accompany patients tripping on psilocybin, as Oregon prepares to become the...
Teenager Thought He
Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Dec 4, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Zach Didier lost his life to fentanyl
- In the wake of a 17-year-old's perplexing death, a soccer teammate offered his parents a clue. Zach Didier—an Eagle Scout and school-musical star who died of a suspected overdose—had no history of drug use or any evidence of drugs in his bedroom. But he had once said...
Dad: My Baby ODed
on Fentanyl at Public Park
Dec 2, 2022 12:34 PM CST
Dad: My Baby ODed on Fentanyl at Public Park
10-month-old now OK; San Francisco city officials, media trying to confirm exactly what happened
- A nanny's trip this week to a Bay Area public park with 10-month-old twins in her care turned terrifying, with the family and local authorities sharing that one of the boys was exposed to fentanyl during their visit. Wendy Marroqui tells NBC Bay Area that she took Senna and...
The FDA Has
Just Approved a
Drug That Costs
$3.5M a Dose
Nov 23, 2022 10:45 AM CST
The FDA Has Just Approved a Drug That Costs $3.5M a Dose
Hemgenix is a one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder hemophilia
- US health regulators on Tuesday approved the first gene therapy for hemophilia, a $3.5 million one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder. The FDA cleared Hemgenix: It's an IV treatment for adults with hemophilia B, the less common form of the genetic disorder, reports the AP . Currently, patients receive...
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin
as Depression Treatment
Nov 3, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin as Depression Treatment
Regulatory approval could come 'potentially within a few years' time'
- One or two doses of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, has been found to help people with cancer , alcohol problems , anxiety, and depression , and now those with a severe, treatment-resistant form of depression, according to researchers. A phase 2 randomized, double-blind clinical trial involving 233 people with treatment-resistant...
Those Weren't Bottles of Water
That Arrived in Hong Kong
Oct 29, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Those Weren't Bottles of Water That Arrived in Hong Kong
City makes biggest-ever meth bust, seizing $140M worth of liquid meth labeled as 'coconut water'
- Hong Kong customs seized 2 tons of liquid methamphetamine in the city's biggest-ever meth bust, authorities said Saturday. The drugs, which were seized Oct. 23, had been concealed in bottles labeled as coconut water in a cargo shipment that arrived in Hong Kong by sea, according to a government...
After Aduhelm Debacle, New
Alzheimer's Drug Emerges
Sep 28, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
After Aduhelm Debacle, New Alzheimer's Drug Emerges
Biogen, partner Eisai: Clinical trial for lecanemab shows promising 27% slowing of cognitive decline
- Last year, the FDA approved aducanumab , marketed as Aduhelm , a controversial drug made by Biogen and its Japanese partner Eisai to treat Alzheimer's. Things didn't go well, though, with expert opposition to the costly medication and a final death blow to its place in the market after Medicare...
Somehow We All Missed
This Wild Cameron Diaz Story
Jul 12, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
Somehow We All Missed This Wild Cameron Diaz Story
'Drug mule' detail from 2020 podcast interview surfaces
- Before she made eyes at Jim Carrey in
, Cameron Diaz may have had another job that no one (not even Diaz) was fully aware of. In one of those unexplained "why are we just finding out about this now?" items, a
podcast Diaz appeared on...
California Will Start Making
Its Own Insulin
Jul 8, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
California Will Start Making Its Own Insulin
Governor says costs will significantly drop, plus jobs will be created
- For diabetics in California, economic relief may soon be on the way. On Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a groundbreaking initiative that will allow the state to manufacture its own insulin, reports KION-TV . Half of the earmarked $100 million will go toward developing affordable insulin products, and the other $50...
For Spanish Police,
a Drug-Smuggling First
Jul 6, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
For Spanish Police, a Drug-Smuggling First
Cops say they seized 3 underwater drones meant to carry 'large quantities of cocaine'
- A probe that lasted more than a year has led to the arrest of eight and the seizure of three underwater drones that were apparently built to smuggle drugs across the Strait of Gibraltar. The BBC reports Spain's police force seized the unmanned submersibles—one completed and two still...
Canada Takes Bold Step to
'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Jun 1, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Canada Takes Bold Step to 'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Small amounts of 'hard' drugs to be temporarily decriminalized in British Columbia to fight ODs
- If you're busted in British Columbia with a small amount of hard drugs, you could soon see some grace, thanks to an innovative new program designed to deal with the OD crisis. The BBC reports that, starting at the end of January, drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy), and...
Death of Diver Led Cops
to Staggering Cocaine Haul
May 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Death of Diver Led Cops to Staggering Cocaine Haul
Australian police fear drugs from total shipment worth $84M have already reached the public
- The death of a diver on the side of a coastal river in Australia led authorities to at least 220 pounds of cocaine—and that's apparently just the tip of the white powder iceberg. A man in high-end diving equipment was found unconscious near the Hunter River in Newcastle,...
After Guests Fall Ill at Wedding,
Bride and Caterer Are Arrested
in case you missed it
Apr 24, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
After Guests Fall Ill at Wedding, Bride and Caterer Are Arrested
Affidavits say the two laced the reception food with marijuana
- Feeling joyous and elated at a wedding is one thing. Feeling "weird, tingly, fidgety, and had an extremely dry mouth" is another. That's how one guest at a Feb. 19 wedding reception in Longwood, Fla., described feeling, and police allege it's because the food was laced with...
Taliban Just Banned
Biggest Cash Crop
Apr 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Taliban Just Banned Afghanistan's Biggest Cash Crop
After decades of financing the leaders, opium, other drugs get the boot
- The Taliban was in the restricting mood Sunday, banning opium poppy—which accounts for 80% of the world's supply of opium—along with wine, heroin, and other drugs. The Taliban has had an interesting relationship with opium, having repeatedly tried to ban the narcotic before using the crop to...
Lawyer: Drugs Tell Different
Story in Peter Spencer's Death
Mar 30, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Lawyer: Drugs Tell Different Story in Peter Spencer's Death
Paul Jubas: Shooter said they took mushrooms, but psilocin wasn't detected in shooter's blood
- Peter Spencer was shot dead by a co-worker during a a Pennsylvania camping trip last December; two weeks ago, Venango County District Attorney Shawn White announced no charges would be brought, saying that based on the evidence and Pennsylvania's "stand your ground" laws, prosecutors would be unable to...
For This Popular Diabetes
Drug, a 'Surprisingly High' Risk
Mar 29, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
For This Popular Diabetes Drug, a 'Surprisingly High' Risk
Study: Offspring of men who filled metformin Rx during sperm development see risk of rare genital defects
- One of the most widely prescribed diabetes drugs has been linked to an increased risk of birth defects in the offspring of men who filled a prescription for it shortly before conception, according to new research. "When I saw the paper ... I thought: 'Yup, this is gonna go...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.