Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Japan's Dementia Treatment
'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Sep 26, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Japan's Dementia Treatment 'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Country with rapidly aging population OKs its first Alzheimer's drug
- Japan's Health Ministry has approved Leqembi, a drug for Alzheimer's disease that was jointly developed by Japanese and US pharmaceutical companies. As the AP reports, it's the first drug for treatment of the disease in a country with a rapidly aging population. Developed by Japanese drugmaker Eisai...
She Sought Police Help to Flee
Yacht. Then Came the Raid
Sep 7, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
She Sought Police Help to Flee Yacht. Then Came the Raid
Retired physician Scott Anthony Burke allegedly found with drugs, guns, prostitutes
- A 911 call about a woman in distress on a yacht anchored in Nantucket Harbor has led to drug trafficking and weapons charges against the vessel's owner, a retired physician. Nantucket police say they received a call shortly before 8am Tuesday with a "report of a female party,...
'Poor Man's Cocaine'
May Be Headed for US
in case you missed it
Aug 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
'Poor Man's Cocaine' May Be Headed for US
Officials fear spread of highly-addictive captagon amid crackdowns in Middle East
- US officials are increasingly concerned about the likelihood of an illegal, highly-addictive drug wreaking havoc in the US as its Middle East producers, hungry for cash, face roadblocks in trafficking the drug at home. Produced and distributed by groups tied to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the allied Hezbollah in...
FDA Has Big News on
Postpartum Depression Front
Aug 5, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Has Big News on Postpartum Depression Front
Sage Therapeutics introduces fast-acting Zurzuvae, the first pill for condition afflicting new moms
- Hundreds of thousands of women suffer from postpartum depression annually, and while the serious condition that emerges after childbirth often resolves within weeks, for other women, it can stretch for months, even years, and cause feelings that may even prove dangerous. Now, the Food and Drug Administration has announced a...
First Woman Since 2004
Jul 28, 2023 4:26 AM CDT
Singapore Executes First Woman Since 2004
Saridewi Djamani was convicted of trafficking just over an ounce of heroin
- Singapore executed a woman Friday for the first time since 2004. Saridewi Djamani, 45, was convicted five years ago of trafficking just over an ounce of heroin, though she testified that she had been stocking up for personal use, the BBC reports. The hanging was the 15th drug-related execution in...
Injectable Weight-Loss Drug
May Soon Come in Pill Form
Jun 26, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Injectable Weight-Loss Drug May Soon Come in Pill Form
Novo Nordisk wants FDA to OK pills that use same medication used in Wegovy, Ozempic
- What if treating obesity could be as easy as popping an effective pill? That's a notion that has long fueled hope for many of the more than 40% of Americans who are considered obese—and fueled criticism by those who advocate for wider weight acceptance. Soon, it may be...
Young People Are Really Into
Their Shrooms These Days
Jun 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Young People Are Really Into Their Shrooms These Days
From 2018 to 2021, young adults' use of hallucinogens nearly doubled
- Not in several decades have young adults in the United States done so much tripping on hallucinogens. That's the upshot of a new study that found the use of such mind-altering drugs nearly doubled from 2018 to 2021. According to research published in the journal
, based on stats...
US Army Sees Record Number
of Fatal ODs From This Drug
Jun 14, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
US Army Sees Record Number of Fatal ODs From This Drug
Fentanyl is hitting all military branches, but none as hard as the Army, and loved ones want answers
- Earlier this year, Congress received some sobering data from the Department of Defense showing that fentanyl was involved in 88% of the 2021 deaths of US troops who'd died of drug overdoses—up from just 36% five years earlier. "Our military is not immune to the opioid epidemic,...
US to Study Controversial
Idea for Drug Users
May 9, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
US to Study Controversial Idea for Drug Users
$5M will go toward looking at 2 'safe injection sites' in New York and Rhode Island
- For the first time, the US government will pay for a large study measuring whether overdoses can be prevented by so-called safe injection sites, places where people can use heroin and other illegal drugs and be revived if they take too much. As the AP reports, the grant provides more...
US Declares FAAX an
Emerging Drug Threat
Apr 12, 2023 11:47 AM CDT
US Declares FAAX an Emerging Drug Threat
Drug czar Dr. Rahul Gupta promises nationwide plan
- The Biden administration is cracking down on xylazine or "tranq," labeling the combination of it and fentanyl an "emerging threat." The Office of National Drug Control Policy announced the designation on Wednesday, per the
. It's the first time an administration has added a substance...
3K-Year-Old Drug Trip
Apr 7, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Scientists Uncover 3K-Year-Old Drug Trip
Human hair containing hallucinogens offers first direct evidence of prehistoric drug use in Europe
- Scientists have discovered what's being touted as the first direct evidence of drug use in ancient Europe. The Bronze-Age inhabitants of what is now the Spanish island of Menorca ingested hallucinogens derived from plants, according to analysis of 3,000-year-old human hairs found in a cave that served as...
Mar 1, 2023 11:30 AM CST
FDA Makes Move Against 'Zombie Dope'
Xylazine, or 'tranq', increasingly found in illicit drug mixes, is subject of new import alert
- The FDA is taking action to restrict unlawful imports of xylazine, an animal tranquilizer increasingly used in the illicit drug market , where it's commonly known as "tranq" or "zombie dope" due to its tendency to cause flesh to rot and die. Horror stories accompany the sedative, which...
Cops: UPS Workers Made
Some Very Illegal Deliveries
Feb 28, 2023 12:53 PM CST
Cops: UPS Workers Made Some Very Illegal Deliveries
Two workers accused in drug trafficking scheme out of Texas
- Some UPS drivers encounter trouble with snow, others with a very different kind of white powder. Two UPS employees are facing up to life in prison for "knowingly" transporting cocaine, federal authorities say . An indictment unsealed in the Southern District of Texas describes the drug trafficking scheme that involved...
Murdaugh's Drug Habit
Cost $50K—Per Week
Feb 16, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Murdaugh's Drug Habit Cost $50K—Per Week
Admission triggers a blow to South Carolina lawyer's murder defense
- The judge in Alex Murdaugh's murder trial made a dramatic reversal Wednesday after defense attorneys claimed authorities had failed to investigate lines of evidence that could point to other possible killers in the June 2021 murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh. During cross-examination, defense attorney Jim Griffin asked SLED...
Hong Kong Has a New
'Dangerous Drug': CBD
Feb 1, 2023 1:50 PM CST
Hong Kong Has a New 'Dangerous Drug': CBD
The possession, use, and sale of it is now criminalized
- Elsewhere in the world, a loosening of drug laws—and a big tightening. The latter refers to Hong Kong, which as of Wednesday now criminalizes the possession, consumption, and selling of the "dangerous drug" cannabidiol, or CBD. As CBS News notes, that means CBD has the same classification as...
'Tranq' Is Making Fentanyl
Scarier—and More Grotesque
Jan 10, 2023 9:25 AM CST
'Tranq' Is Making Fentanyl Scarier—and More Grotesque
The animal sedative, increasingly used as a cutting agent, causes skin to blacken and die
- Veterinarians know it as xylazine; some users know it as "zombie dope," and Jan Hoffman's piece for the
New York Times
makes it clear why. As one user put it, "my arms were dying." That's no exaggeration. The animal tranquilizer—most commonly referred to...
One State Is Training
Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Jan 1, 2023 2:40 PM CST
One State Is Training Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Oregon, set to be the first state to offer controlled use of psilocybin, is training students
- At a woodsy retreat center in Oregon, some 30 men and women are seated or lying down, masks covering their eyes and listening to serene music. They're among the first crop of students being trained on how to accompany patients tripping on psilocybin, as Oregon prepares to become the...
Teenager Thought He
Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Dec 4, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Zach Didier lost his life to fentanyl
- In the wake of a 17-year-old's perplexing death, a soccer teammate offered his parents a clue. Zach Didier—an Eagle Scout and school-musical star who died of a suspected overdose—had no history of drug use or any evidence of drugs in his bedroom. But he had once said...
Dad: My Baby ODed
on Fentanyl at Public Park
Dec 2, 2022 12:34 PM CST
Dad: My Baby ODed on Fentanyl at Public Park
10-month-old now OK; San Francisco city officials, media trying to confirm exactly what happened
- A nanny's trip this week to a Bay Area public park with 10-month-old twins in her care turned terrifying, with the family and local authorities sharing that one of the boys was exposed to fentanyl during their visit. Wendy Marroqui tells NBC Bay Area that she took Senna and...
The FDA Has
Just Approved a
Drug That Costs
$3.5M a Dose
Nov 23, 2022 10:45 AM CST
The FDA Has Just Approved a Drug That Costs $3.5M a Dose
Hemgenix is a one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder hemophilia
- US health regulators on Tuesday approved the first gene therapy for hemophilia, a $3.5 million one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder. The FDA cleared Hemgenix: It's an IV treatment for adults with hemophilia B, the less common form of the genetic disorder, reports the AP . Currently, patients receive...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.