Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Donor Pays for State
to Send Troops to Border
Jun 29, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Donor Pays for State to Send Troops to Border
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem announces National Guard deployment
- South Dakota National Guard troops are being sent to Texas to help "secure" the border with Mexico, says Gov. Kristi Noem, the latest GOP governor to announce a border deployment. Florida, Iowa, and Nebraska are sending law enforcement officers, but Noem, a potential 2024 White House contender, says the...
Arizona Governor Declares
State of Emergency at Border
Apr 22, 2021 4:24 AM CDT
Arizona Governor Declares State of Emergency at Border
Ducey is sending in 250 National Guard troops
- Arizona has become the first border state to declare an emergency amid a surge in arrests of people crossing the border illegally. Gov, Doug Ducey declared a state of emergency in six counties in southwest Arizona Wednesday, saying the Border Patrol is "overwhelmed" and local law enforcement agencies are...
Smugglers Drop Sisters,
3 and 5, Over Border Fence
Apr 2, 2021 4:41 AM CDT
Smugglers Drop Sisters, 3 and 5, Over Border Fence
Authorities say girls' mother is in the US
- A border wall. Smugglers. Small children being dropped into America in the darkness. A grainy video released Wednesday by authorities—its figures visible only in ghostly white outline, its stark storyline dramatic and obvious—captures, in mere seconds, the dangers for migrant children at the southern US border. A man...
More Than 3K Migrant Kids
Crowded Into Texas Facility
Mar 30, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
More Than 3K Migrant Kids Crowded Into Texas Facility
Biden administration finally allows journalists into detention facility for children
- The Biden administration for the first time Tuesday allowed journalists inside its main border detention facility for migrant children, revealing a severely overcrowded tent structure where more than 4,000 people, including children and families, were crammed into a space intended for 250 and the youngest were kept in a...
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande
With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
Mar 27, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
BP agents were able to resuscitate migrant mother, 3-year-old, but girl didn't regain consciousness
- Tragedy has struck a mother from Guatemala trying to make her way into the US with her two children, both Mexican nationals.
reports that on March 20, US Border Patrol agents received a rescue call after bystanders saw three people stranded on an island on the Mexican side of...
Biden Says Harris Will Lead
Response to Surge in Migrants
Mar 24, 2021 3:03 PM CDT
Biden Says Harris Will Lead Response to Surge in Migrants
'When she speaks, she speaks for me'
- President Biden has tapped Vice President Kamala Harris to lead the White House effort to tackle the migration challenge at southern border. Biden made the announcement as he and Harris met at the White House on Wednesday with Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandra Mayorkas...
Photos of Border Facility
Crowded With Kids
Mar 22, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Lawmaker Releases Photos of Border Facility Crowded With Kids
Biden administration hasn't allowed media access
- A Democratic lawmaker from Texas has released photos of children being held at overcrowded conditions at a Border Patrol facility, saying he wants to raise awareness of the "terrible conditions for the children." Rep. Henry Cuellar, who provided photos of the temporary overflow center in Donna, Texas to...
Biden Has a Clear
Message for Migrants
Mar 17, 2021 2:07 AM CDT
Biden Has a Clear Message for Migrants
'Don't come over,' president says on ABC
- President Biden did not mince words Tuesday in an interview with ABC News set to air in full Wednesday on
Good Morning America
. "Do you have to say quite clearly, 'Don't come'?" George Stephanopoulos asked the POTUS as they discussed a surge in migrants and unaccompanied...
GOP Has a Big New Theme
Mar 16, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
GOP Has a Big New Theme Against Biden
Kevin McCarthy, others highlight 'border crisis'
- The pandemic may still be issue No. 1, but another topic is fast becoming a major issue for both parties—the border. Republicans say looser immigration policies under President Biden have created a crisis, while Democrats blame Donald Trump for leaving behind a broken system. Coverage:
Report: Convention Center
Will House 3K Migrant Boys
Mar 15, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Report: Convention Center Will House 3K Migrant Boys
It's being called a 'decompression center'
- Up to 3,000 minors detained after crossing the border could soon find themselves in a downtown Dallas convention center. According to a government memo to Dallas City Council members seen by the AP , authorities plan to use the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center for up to 90 days to...
US Reports a Surge of
Kids, Families at Border
Mar 10, 2021 6:46 PM CST
US Reports a Surge of Kids, Families at Border
Republicans are using the increase to attack President Biden
- The number of migrant children and families seeking to cross the US southwest border has surged to levels not seen since before the pandemic, a challenge for President Biden as he works to undo the restrictive immigration policies of his predecessor, the AP reports. Statistics released Wednesday by US Customs...
Crash Near Border
Kills at Least 15
Mar 2, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Crash Near Border Kills at Least 15
SUV carrying 27 people hit tractor-trailer in California
- Fourteen people died at the site of a two-vehicle accident Tuesday morning near the US-Mexico, when an SUV carrying 27 people slammed into a tractor-trailer filled with gravel. One person died later at a hospital, and another nine were hospitalized, Fox 13 reports. Three people were in intensive care in...
Feds Say Reunited Families
Will Be Allowed to Stay in US
Mar 1, 2021 2:55 PM CST
Feds Say Reunited Families Will Be Allowed to Stay in US
'We are acting as restoratively as possible'
- Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas says the Biden administration is working to undo the damage caused by the border separation policy, which he calls "the most powerful and heartbreaking example of the cruelty" of the previous administration. Mayorkas said Monday that the federal government is "dedicating resources full-time"...
Jan 26, 2021 6:56 PM CST
Feds Rescind 'Zero Tolerance' Immigration Rule
Children were separated from their parents under Trump-era border policy
- The Justice Department on Tuesday rescinded a Trump-era memo that established a "zero tolerance" enforcement policy for migrants crossing the US-Mexico border illegally, which resulted in thousands of family separations. Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson issued the new memo to federal prosecutors across the nation, saying the department would...
Art Installation Up for Just
Minutes Wins Design Prize
Jan 19, 2021 11:43 AM CST
Art Installation Up for Just Minutes Wins Design Prize
Border seesaws 'reminder of how human beings can transcend the forces that seek to divide us'
- The best design of 2020 was in place for less than 20 minutes, reports CNN , which shows just how impactful it was. "Teeter-Totter Wall," erected on the border fence separating El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has been named the best design of the year by London'...
Guatemalan Forces Clash With
Migrants Trying to Reach US
Jan 17, 2021 11:35 AM CST
Guatemalan Forces Clash With Migrants Trying to Reach US
Other nations, including Mexico, have said they'll stop caravan from Honduras
- Guatemalan police and soldiers launched tear gas and wielded batons and shields against a group of Honduran migrants that tried to push through a roadblock Sunday. A group of about 2,000 migrants had stopped short of the roadblock the night before. The roadblock was strategically placed at a chokepoint...
Biden: It Will Take 6 Months
to Fix Trump Border Policies
Dec 22, 2020 5:46 PM CST
Biden: It Will Take 6 Months to Fix Trump Border Policies
'The timeline is to do it so that we, in fact, make it better not worse'
- President-elect Joe Biden says he won’t immediately roll back President Trump’s actions on immigration despite some advocates pushing for action as soon as he takes the oath of office in January. Biden said Tuesday that he will work to undo his predecessor’s actions and will focus on...
Parents of 545 Kids Separated
at the Border Can't Be Found
Oct 21, 2020 1:31 AM CDT
Parents of 545 Kids Separated at the Border Can't Be Found
According to court-appointed lawyers
- Court-appointed lawyers said Tuesday that they have been unable to find parents of 545 children who were separated at the US border with Mexico early in the Trump administration, the AP reports. The children were separated between July 1, 2017, and June 26, 2018, when a federal judge in San...
Oct 3, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Pence Overruled Health Experts, Closed the US Border
Top aide Stephen Miller played an important role
- Vice President Mike Pence in March directed the nation's top disease control agency to use its emergency powers to effectively seal the US borders, overruling the agency's scientists who said there was no evidence the action would slow the coronavirus, according to two former health officials, the AP...
Feds Considering Plan to
Keep Out Infected Americans
Aug 11, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Feds Considering Plan to Keep Out Infected Americans
Border agents could bar people suspected of having been exposed to virus
- After failed efforts to control the spread of COVID-19 by limiting arrivals of foreign citizens, the White House is now considering a plan to temporarily bar potentially infected American citizens and legal residents, according to a draft regulation seen by the
New York Times
. Federal agencies have been asked to...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.