Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds Say Cross-Border
Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
Jan 22, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Feds Say Cross-Border Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
'My advice is, don’t bring them over,' CBP official says
- Eggs are much cheaper in Mexico but anybody caught trying to bring them across the border could have to shell out a lot of money, officials say. American egg prices were up 60% year-on-year in December due to factors including avian flu, making Mexican eggs an appealing prospect for residents...
Biden Goes to Mexican Border
Jan 8, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Biden Goes to Mexican Border
Abbott blames president for 'chaos'
- President Biden inspected a busy port of entry along the US-Mexico border Sunday on his first trip to the region after two years in office, a visit shadowed by the fraught politics of immigration as Republicans try to blame him for the record numbers of migrants crossing into the country....
Biden: 'Do Not Just
Show Up at the Border'
Jan 5, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Biden: 'Do Not Just Show Up at the Border'
President tightens rules while setting legal path for migrants from 4 nations
- President Biden said Thursday the US would immediately begin turning away Cubans, Haitians, and Nicaraguans who cross the border from Mexico illegally, his boldest move yet to confront the arrivals of migrants that have spiraled since he took office two years ago. The new rules expand on an existing effort...
Border Policy in
Dec 27, 2022 5:00 PM CST
SCOTUS Leaves Border Policy in Place Indefinitely
Court extends pandemic-era limits
- The Supreme Court is keeping pandemic-era limits on immigration in place indefinitely, dashing hopes of immigration advocates who had been anticipating their end this week. In a ruling Tuesday, the Supreme Court extended a temporary stay that Chief Justice John Roberts issued last week. Under the court’s order, the...
Border Patrol Found More Than
Pulp Inside These Pumpkins
Oct 15, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Border Patrol Found More Than Pulp Inside These Pumpkins
Officials discovered $400K worth of meth in gourds arriving from Mexico
- Last week, more than $300,000 worth of methamphetamine was uncovered at Texas' Eagle Pass Port of Entry, across from Piedras Negras in Mexico. This week, drug smugglers got a little more creative with their meth stash: cramming it into four condom-filled pumpkins, reports NBC News . A release from Customs...
At the Border, a Milestone
on Migrant Arrivals
Sep 20, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
At the Border, a Milestone on Migrant Arrivals
There were more than 2M 'encounters' with border officials over the past year—a big first
- There were more migrant arrivals along the US-Mexico border in the past fiscal year than any other: More than 2 million people tried to enter the United States from our southern neighbor, a record achieved in the first 11 months alone. Per a document from US Customs and Border Protection,...
50 Wheels of Undeclared
Cheese Cost NM Woman
Sep 13, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
50 Wheels of Undeclared Cheese Cost NM Woman
She was fined $1K after trying to enter Texas from Mexico
- Officers with Customs and Border Protection say they stopped a woman hiding contraband under a blanket in her SUV as she tried to cross the Texas border from Mexico earlier this month. But it wasn't drugs, or even weapons—though it may have been sharp: It was 50 wheels...
Teams Search for Victims After
9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
Sep 3, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Teams Search for Victims After 9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
River water was flowing five times faster than usual after heavy rain
- Officials on both sides of the US-Mexico border searched for more victims Saturday after at least nine migrants died while trying to cross the rain-swollen Rio Grande, a dangerous border-crossing attempt in an area where the river level had risen by more than 2 feet in a single day. US...
Feds Find First
Major Drug Tunnel
May 17, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Feds Find First Major Drug Tunnel Since 2020
It ran from Tijuana to San Diego warehouse
- The legalization of marijuana in California hasn't put the cross-border tunnel builders in the San Diego area out of business, but the highly sophisticated tunnels are now being used for different drugs, federal authorities say. The latest tunnel to be detected ran 1,744 feet from a property in...
Body of Soldier Who
Drowned Trying to
Rescue Migrants Found
Apr 25, 2022 3:26 PM CDT
Body of Soldier Who Drowned Trying to Rescue Migrants Found
Bishop Evans was a 'hero who risked his life in service of Texas and America'
- The body of a National Guard soldier who drowned while trying to rescue two struggling migrants from the Rio Grande was recovered Monday morning, authorities say. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Specialist Bishop E. Evans, a 22-year-old Texas Guardsman from Arlington, was a "hero who risked his life in...
Woman Gets Stuck
Climbing Border Wall, Dies
Apr 15, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
Woman Gets Stuck Climbing Border Wall, Dies
She was upside down for a significant amount of time, authorities say
- A 32-year-old woman attempting to climb over a border wall from Mexico into Douglas, Arizona, was killed Monday when she got stuck upside down. The unidentified woman got over the wall and was using a harness to go down the other side, but her foot and leg got tangled and...
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers
Block Bridges in Protest
Apr 13, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers Block Bridges in Protest
This time it's Mexican truckers, upset over Texas governor's inspections order that's slowing traffic
- There's a new trucker protest underway, this time along the US southern border. Reuters reports that big-rig drivers from Mexico have been blocking bridges leading in and out of Texas for days, a protest against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's recent mandate that officials carry out vehicle safety inspections...
Guy Tries to Smuggle
2 Men Into US in Coffin
Jan 26, 2022 2:15 AM CST
Guy Tries to Smuggle 2 Men Into US in Coffin
Suspicious Border Patrol agents found men, alive, inside
- Zachary Taylor Blood, 33, arrived at a Border Patrol checkpoint near the US-Mexico border with an American flag-draped coffin in the back of his van Oct. 26. When asked what he had, he replied, "Dead guy, Navy guy." The agent, who is a military veteran, got suspicious, however,...
It's a Milestone Day
for Travelers to the US
Nov 8, 2021 6:50 AM CST
It's a Milestone Day for Travelers to the US
Pandemic restrictions lifted for those who are vaccinated from abroad
- The US lifted restrictions Monday on travel from a long list of countries including Mexico, Canada, and most of Europe, setting the stage for reunions nearly two years in the making and providing a boost for the airline and tourism industries decimated by the pandemic. The rules that go into...
Biden: Families Separated
at Border Won't Get $450K
Nov 4, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Biden: Families Separated at Border Won't Get $450K
'That's not going to happen,' he says
: President Biden says there is no way families separated at the border under the Trump administration will be getting compensation of $450,000 per person. "That's not going to happen," the president said at a White House briefing Wednesday, per the
New York Times
. He described...
US Reopening Land Borders
—for the Fully Vaccinated
Oct 13, 2021 2:27 AM CDT
US Reopening Land Borders —for the Fully Vaccinated
Nonessential travel from Canada, Mexico will resume, provided travelers are vaccinated
- The US will reopen its land borders to nonessential travel next month, ending a 19-month freeze due to the COVID-19 pandemic as the country moves to require all international visitors to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Vehicle, rail, and ferry travel between the US and Canada and Mexico has been...
He Saw No Violence
Sep 24, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
After Outcry, Photographer Says He Saw No Violence
Biden joins outcry at mounted agents' conduct, promising consequences
- The people who have responded with horror to images of Border Patrol agents on horseback appearing to corral Haitian immigrants at the Rio Grande include the US president and vice president. Some of the photos seem to show agents using whips, KTSM reports. But that's not quite what the...
to Deter Surge
Sep 22, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
Texas Creates 'Steel Barrier' to Deter Surge of Migrants
As thousands remain under Del Rio International Bridge
- Texas' latest move to deter the unprecedented number of migrants surging into the state: a "steel barrier" that stretches for miles. No, it's not an actual wall; as CNN explains, Texas National Guard and Texas Department of Public Safety vehicles are parked along the border, Texas Gov. Greg...
Harris 'Deeply Troubled'
by Images From Border
Sep 21, 2021 3:17 PM CDT
Harris 'Deeply Troubled' by Images From Border
Homeland Security says behavior of mounted Border Patrol agents will be investigated
- Vice President Kamala Harris says she is "deeply troubled" by images and videos of mounted Border Patrol officers using their animals to try to force back migrants at the Rio Grande. "Human beings should never be treated that way," Harris said Tuesday. Harris and Homeland Security Secretary...
White House Calls Apparent
Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Sep 20, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
White House Calls Apparent Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Border Patrol says matter is being looked into
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki says that images of federal agents apparently using whips on Haitian migrants at the border are "obviously horrific" and that the administration is trying to learn more about what happened. "I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.