Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
American, Southwest Post
Drastically Different Q4 Stats
Jan 26, 2023 8:35 AM CST
American, Southwest Post Drastically Different Q4 Stats
American sees a profit of $803M; Southwest takes $220M loss after a chaotic December
- American Airlines offered more proof Thursday of the recovery in air travel, posting a better-than-expected profit for the fourth quarter, while Southwest Airlines lost money because of massive flight cancellations last month. Southwest said it also expects another loss in the first quarter, though it added it was encouraged by...
JFK Has a Close Call:
'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
Jan 15, 2023 4:25 PM CST
JFK Has a Close Call: 'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
American plane taxied across runway in front of departing Delta 737
- The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating after an airliner crossed the path of another about to take off Friday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport. The crew of a Delta Air Lines Boeing 737 was able to abort takeoff, CNN reports, and the plane stopped less than 1,000...
United, American Cap Fares
to Help Southwest's Stranded
Dec 29, 2022 6:36 AM CST
United, American Cap Fares to Help Southwest's Stranded
Other airlines also try to accommodate customers left high and dry by thousands of nixed SW flights
- Amid travel woes involving Southwest Airlines ' customers this holiday week, two other major airlines are trying to mitigate the mess. CNN Business reports that United Airlines and American Airlines are limiting how much it costs to fly to and from certain cities on their own flights to help the...
Odell Beckham Jr.
Escorted Off Flight
Nov 28, 2022 12:48 AM CST
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
Lawyer blames incident on 'overzealous' crew member
- Odell Beckham Jr. was removed from an American Airlines flight Sunday morning as it prepared to depart from Miami en route to Los Angeles. Per a police report cited by CBS Sports and ESPN , the flight crew tried to wake the NFL wide receiver to ask him to fasten his...
Airline Squeezes Out First Class
on International Flights
Oct 21, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Airline Squeezes Out First Class on International Flights
American says passenger preferences have changed
- It wouldn't make a great slogan, but American Airlines has decided that on its international flights, nobody will travel first class anymore. "First class will not exist on the 777, or for that matter at American Airlines, for the simple reason that our customers aren't buying it,...
Moans and Worse Heard
Over Airline's PA System
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 1, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
American blames technical glitch, but internet sleuths aren't so sure
- "Explosive diarrhea, vomiting, and a weird, vaguely sexual moan." Per Gizmodo , that’s how film producer and actor Emerson Collins described the sounds emanating from the public announcement system on an American Airlines flight from LA to Dallas on Sept. 6. In the video , which Collins posted last...
FBI Detains Man After
'Unprovoked' Attack on
Sep 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
FBI Detains Man After 'Unprovoked' Attack on Flight Attendant
Witness says American Airlines passenger claimed he was the Messiah
- He wasn't the Messiah, he was a very unruly passenger. A man was detained Wednesday after allegedly attacking a flight attendant on an American Airlines flight to Los Angeles from San Jose del Cabo in Mexico, and a witness says the man started shouting about being the Messiah after...
Aug 23, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
The Best US Airlines, Ranked
The Points Guy crowns Delta as king
- The Points Guy website is out with its annual ranking of US airlines, and Delta comes out on top by a rather comfortable margin. The top-10 ranking takes into account all the factors you'd expect—on-time flights, cancellations, general reliability, cost, scheduling, frequent-flier perks, and more. Here are the...
American Airlines Places
Order for 20 Supersonic Jets
Aug 17, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
American Airlines Places Order for 20 Supersonic Jets
Boom Supersonic expects the Overture to debut in 2029
- American Airlines has agreed to buy up to 20 supersonic jets and put down a non-refundable deposit on the planes, which are still on the drawing board and years away from flying. Neither American nor the manufacturer Boom Supersonic would provide financial details Tuesday, including the size of American's...
Woman Says She Was
Banned From Flight After
Using 'Teacher Voice'
Aug 10, 2022 4:11 PM CDT
Woman Says She Was Banned From Flight After Using 'Teacher Voice'
She says American Airlines manager didn't like her tone
- Kyleema Norman, a deputy superintendent at the New York City Department of Education, says she used her "teacher voice" to speak to airline staffers about a delay—and ended up getting barred from her American Airlines flight because a staffer didn't like her tone. Norman tells the
Man Accused of Stealing
More Than $10K Mid-Flight
Jul 8, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
Man Accused of Stealing More Than $10K Mid-Flight
He was arrested after flight from Argentina landed in Miami
- A passenger seen pacing the aisles during a flight from Buenos Aires to Miami wasn't a nervous flier, he was a larcenous one, authorities say. Court documents state that flight attendants observed the passenger, 29-year-old Diego Sebastian Radio, behaving suspiciously, walking up and down the plane and sitting in...
Pulls Out of 3 Cities
Jun 20, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
American Airlines Pulls Out of 3 Cities
American blames shortage of regional pilots
- Saying it's running short of pilots, American Airlines has dropped regional service to three cities. Flights at airports in Toledo, Ohio; Ithaca, New York; and Islip, New York, will end Sept. 7, the Hill reports. A spokesperson said the airline will contact travelers who have a ticket for a...
Lawsuit: Bad Move From
Airline Sent Man to Jail
Jun 8, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Bad Move From Airline Sent Man to Jail
'If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone'
- An Arizona man says a mistake by American Airlines led to a nightmarish 17-day ordeal that he's still not fully recovered from. According to a lawsuit filed against the airline by Michael Lowe, American wrongly identified him to police as a person seen on surveillance video breaking into a...
'Unruly' Passenger Wanted
to Get Off the Plane Badly
Apr 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
'Unruly' Passenger Wanted to Get Off the Plane Badly
Cynthia McKnight facing charges after allegedly opening door, inflating slide at Buffalo airport
- An unruly passenger escaped an American Airlines flight preparing to takeoff from Buffalo Niagara International Airport on Tuesday in a most dramatic fashion: down the emergency exit slide, according to reports. Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Spencer Brown, a passenger on the flight, tweeted about the woman's outburst, which resulted...
American Airlines' New
Connecting Flights Are Buses
Apr 8, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
American Airlines' New Connecting Flights Are Buses
Airline is adding road routes between airports in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- American Airlines passengers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey may find themselves on an unusual connecting "flight"—one that makes use of a bus instead of a plane. Airline Weekly reports that the airline has hired the Landline bus company to ferry passengers between Philadelphia International Airport and smaller...
American Airlines Is
Bringing Back Alcohol
Mar 18, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
American Airlines Is Bringing Back Alcohol
Airline says service will be restored April 18
- The federal mask mandate for airline passengers expires on April 18, and while it's not clear whether it will be extended, American Airlines has decided that's the right day to bring back alcohol service. The move will make American, while is also bringing back food, the last major...
Flight Attendant Yelled, Then
Plane Began Rapid Descent
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Flight Attendant Yelled, Then Plane Began Rapid Descent
American Airlines flight diverted due to unruly passenger
- Passengers on American Airlines flight 1775 Sunday afternoon say they heard one flight attendant yell to another to turn the lights on, they were switched back on abruptly, and then, with no warning, the plane began a rapid descent. The problem? An unruly passenger, the airline says. The plane, which...
Air Passenger Gropes Flight
Attendant, Is Going to Prison
Jan 28, 2022 2:22 PM CST
Air Passenger Gropes Flight Attendant, Is Going to Prison
Canadian national gets 6-month sentence for American Airlines assault
- Another ugly incident in the skies: A 50-year-old Canadian man has been sentenced to six months in a US prison after he groped a flight attendant, reports NBC News . Enio Socorro Zayas was sentenced this week in a Florida federal court after his assault on an American Airlines employee on...
Is the Best
of All Major
Jan 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
'WSJ' puts Delta at the top of its annual list, JetBlue at the bottom
- Between industrywide woes , unruly passengers , and sharing a name with a coronavirus variant, one could say the pandemic has not been kind to Delta Air Lines. Now, a bit of good news has come Delta's way, as it takes the top spot in the
Wall Street Journal
Flight to London Turns Back
After Woman Won't Mask Up
Jan 21, 2022 12:31 AM CST
Flight to London Turns Back After Woman Won't Mask Up
American Airlines flight landed back in Miami
- En route from Miami to London, an American Airlines flight instead ended up back where it started Wednesday night due to a mask-refusing passenger. Authorities say "a disruptive customer refusing to comply with the federal mask requirement" forced the Boeing 777 to fly all 129 passengers back to Miami...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.