Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Germany Identifies What
Navalny Was Poisoned With
Sep 2, 2020 9:36 AM CDT
Germany Identifies What Navalny Was Poisoned With
Novichok, same as Sergei Skripal
- The German government left no room for interpretation on Wednesday, saying toxicology tests returned "unequivocal proof" that Alexei Navalny was poisoned with a nerve agent from the Novichok group. Russia has denied that the opposition politician, who has been in a coma since falling ill in August on a...
Report: Secret Russian Unit
Is Trying to Destabilize Europe
Oct 9, 2019 5:22 AM CDT
Report: Secret Russian Unit Is Trying to Destabilize Europe
Unit 29155 is behind assassination, coup attempts, security officials say
- Paging Mr. Bond—Western security officials say they have uncovered the existence of an elite Russian military intelligence unit dedicated to destabilizing Europe, the
New York Times
reports. The officials say Unit 29155 was behind a coup attempt in Montenegro, an effort to cause a political crisis in Moldova, and...
'Unexplained Phone Call' Raises
Eyebrows in Skripal Case
May 20, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
'Unexplained Phone Call' Raises Eyebrows in Skripal Case
Authorities say 2 Russian suspects may have received a 'signal'
- The poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal just slathered another layer of mystery on. The
reports Anatoliy Chepiga and Alexander Mishkin, the two Russians suspected of attacking the father and daughter in Salisbury, England, in March 2018 with a Novichok nerve agent, may have had some off-site assistance. Investigators...
Putin Has One Word
for Skripal: 'Scumbag'
Oct 3, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Putin Has One Word for Skripal: 'Scumbag'
He thinks the ex-spy is a traitor, too
- Vladimir Putin has previously addressed the poisoning of ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal, but never quite like this. When asked on Wednesday about sanctions imposed on Russia in the wake of the attack, Putin dismissed the ex-spy as "just a scumbag" who turned on his country, reports the AP . "...
Investigative Group Says It Has
Unmasked Novichok Suspect
Sep 26, 2018 2:27 PM CDT
Investigative Group Says It Has Unmasked Novichok Suspect
Bellingcat says Ruslan Boshirov is really Col. Anatoliy Chepiga
- As the UK has alleged , Ruslan Boshirov is not who he says he is, at least according to an online investigative group. The
reports Bellingcat and investigative partner the Insider say they have identified one of the men accused of poisoning the Skripals with novichok as a colonel with...
Novichok Suspects: We Only
Wanted to See Stonehenge
Sep 13, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
Novichok Suspects: We Only Wanted to See Stonehenge
Ruslan Boshirov, Alexander Petrov deny attack to Kremlin-funded 'RT'
- That was fast. A day after Vladimir Putin hinted at an interview , two Russians claiming to be those accused of depositing a nerve agent on the door of a former Russian spy living in England announced they were only on a sightseeing trip. Describing themselves as victims of a "...
Putin on Novichok Suspects:
'We Have Found Them'
Sep 12, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Putin on Novichok Suspects: 'We Have Found Them'
Suggests they may appear publicly soon to defend their innocence
- Vladimir Putin says Russia has located the men named by the UK as the suspects in the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter. "We know who they are, we have found them," he said. "I hope they will turn up themselves and tell everything. This would...
How a Perfume Bottle of
Novichok Allegedly Got to UK
Sep 6, 2018 8:14 AM CDT
How a Perfume Bottle of Novichok Allegedly Got to UK
UK authorities say it was flown from Moscow as fake Nina Ricci perfume
- The two men blended in with crowds in Salisbury, which was hosting its weekly Saturday market, then slipped away within a couple of hours. They returned the next day and, in broad daylight, allegedly sprayed the door handle of the home of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal with Novichok nerve...
UK Alleges These Men
Tried to Murder the Skripals
Sep 5, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
UK Alleges These Men Tried to Murder the Skripals
But Russia won't be extraditing its own citizens
- British prosecutors charged two Russian men Wednesday with the nerve agent poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury. The Crown Prosecution Service said the men, known to British investigators as Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov, are charged in absentia with conspiracy to murder, attempted murder, and...
Chemical Attack in UK Leads
to US Sanctions on Russia
Aug 8, 2018 4:15 PM CDT
Chemical Attack in UK Leads to US Sanctions on Russia
The State Department is retaliating for the poisoning of Sergei Skripal
- The US is poised to impose sanctions on Russia in retaliation for a March nerve agent attack on a former Russian double agent and his daughter. Per BBC , US investigators have determined the country is behind the March 4 poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia Skripal, who were...
British Woman Poisoned
by Nerve Agent Dies
Jul 9, 2018 1:49 AM CDT
British Woman Poisoned by Nerve Agent Dies
Counter-terror chief slams 'outrageous, reckless, and barbaric act'
- The latest Novichok case in England is now a murder investigation. Dawn Sturgess, one of two people exposed to the same nerve agent that nearly killed Russian citizens Sergei Skripal and Yulia Skripal earlier this year, died late Sunday at the hospital in Salisbury where she had been treated since...
Couple Sickened by Novichok
Handled Contaminated Item
Jul 5, 2018 2:07 PM CDT
Couple Sickened by Novichok Handled Contaminated Item
Charlie Rowley, Dawn Sturgess described as found foaming at the mouth
- The UK on Wednesday confirmed that the two people who lie critically ill in Salisbury District Hospital were exposed to Novichok, the same nerve agent that sickened Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia. The BBC reports the pair are Charlie Rowley, 45, and Dawn Sturgess, 44; Metropolitan Police on Thursday...
Yulia Skripal Speaks
Out for First Time
May 23, 2018 3:24 PM CDT
Yulia Skripal Speaks Out for First Time
The spy's daughter was interviewed in a secret location
- Yulia Skripal has made her first statement since being released from the hospital after a near-fatal poisoning with the nerve agent Novichok. “My life has been turned upside down,” the daughter of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal told Reuters in Russian, speaking from a secret location in...
Poisoned Ex-Spy Enters
'Important Stage in Recovery'
May 18, 2018 7:03 AM CDT
Poisoned Ex-Spy Enters 'Important Stage in Recovery'
Sergei Skripal is out of the hospital
- The former Russian spy targeted in a nerve agent poisoning has finally left a UK hospital. Sergei Skripal, 66, was discharged from Salisbury District Hospital more than two months after he and his daughter, Yulia, were found slumped on a park bench on March 4. "This is an important...
Nerve Agent in Poisoning
of Skripals Was Liquid
Apr 17, 2018 12:36 PM CDT
Nerve Agent in Poisoning of Skripals Was Liquid
Investigators say full cleanup will take months
- The nerve agent used on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia was delivered in liquid form, British officials said Tuesday, per the AP , revealing it will take months to clean up the toxic trail the poison left around the city of Salisbury. The UK Environment Department said...
UK Alleges Russia Previously
Tested Door-Handle Attack
Apr 13, 2018 10:02 AM CDT
UK Alleges Russia Previously Tested Door-Handle Attack
Sends letter to NATO detailing evidence of Russia's hand in things
- The Skripals have been in Russia's sights for some time, or so alleged the UK on Friday. National Security Adviser Mark Sedwill accused the country of spying on Sergei Skripal and daughter Yulia for a minimum of five years, and offered some specifics in a letter sent to NATO...
to Russian Role
Apr 12, 2018 11:29 AM CDT
New Findings Lend Weight to Russian Role in Poisonings
Watchdog says 'high purity' nerve agent used against Skripals
- The international chemical weapons watchdog on Thursday confirmed Britain's finding that a former Russian spy and his daughter were poisoned with a nerve agent, as Russia continued to deny suggestions that it was behind the attack. Investigators from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, a Nobel Peace...
A 'Significant Milestone'
for Poisoned Spy's Daughter
Apr 10, 2018 6:15 AM CDT
A 'Significant Milestone' for Poisoned Spy's Daughter
Yulia Skripal is released from the hospital
- More good news for the daughter of a poisoned former Russian spy: Yulia Skripal is out of the hospital. "This is not the end of her treatment but marks a significant milestone," says a statement from the UK's Salisbury District Hospital, per the BBC . The 33-year-old had...
A New Development in Ex-Spy
Poisoning: 3 Dead Pets
Apr 6, 2018 10:27 AM CDT
A New Development in Ex-Spy Poisoning: 3 Dead Pets
Cat, 2 guinea pigs found on Sergei Skripal's property, though Skripal himself is improving
- First good news on Yulia Skripal ; now an optimistic outlook for her dad. Doctors at the UK hospital where Sergei Skripal has been convalescing since his March 4 poisoning report the 66-year-old ex-Russian spy is "responding well to treatment, improving rapidly, and is no longer in a critical condition,...
Poisoned Russian Daughter
Issues First Statement
Apr 5, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Poisoned Russian Daughter Issues First Statement
'My strength is growing daily,' says Yulia Skripal
- Good news on the fate of Yulia Skripal, who was poisoned along with her father in Britain: The 33-year-old issued a statement saying her health is improving. "I woke up over a week ago now and am glad to say my strength is growing daily," she says in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.