Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
And They're Off:
Sep 16, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
And They're Off: SpaceX Launch Makes History
Inspiration4 mission sends 4 space tourists into orbit
- SpaceX’s first private flight blasted off Wednesday night with two contest winners, a health care worker, and their rich sponsor, the most ambitious leap yet in space tourism. It was the first time a rocket streaked toward orbit with an all-amateur crew—no professional astronauts. The Dragon capsule’s...
It's a 'Major Milestone
in Human Spaceflight'
Sep 15, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
It's a 'Major Milestone in Human Spaceflight'
4 tourists, expected to launch Wednesday, will orbit Earth for 3 days
- Another billionaire is headed to space, this time with an all-civilian crew, in what CNN reports is the "first orbital mission in the history of spaceflight to be staffed entirely by tourists or otherwise non-astronauts." A retrofitted SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule dubbed Resilience will spend three days orbiting...
a $2B Offer
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Makes NASA a $2B Offer
Ex-Amazon CEO wants to again compete in moon race against SpaceX
- If Elon Musk thought he had the sole lock on building NASA's next lunar landing vehicle, there may be a new wrench in the works. In April, the space agency announced it was offering Musk's SpaceX a $2.9 billion contract to build the spacecraft that will take...
'Keep Out Zone,'
and Musk Is
Jun 30, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Aircraft Entered 'Keep Out Zone,' and Musk Is Pissed
Says space regulations aren't keeping up with the times
- A Tuesday SpaceX launched ended up being scrubbed 11 seconds prior to liftoff due to a wayward helicopter, and Elon Musk is displeased. "An aircraft entered the 'keep out zone', which is unreasonably gigantic," he tweeted after the snafu. "There is simply no way that humanity...
to Receive a
Jun 3, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
Space Station to Receive a Whole Lot of Squid
Astronauts hope to learn survival tactics from 128 baby squid, 5K tardigrades
- A cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station, scheduled for Thursday, will see astronauts enjoy apples, avocado, and other fresh food—not including the 128 baby squid along for the ride on SpaceX's Dragon, launched by the Falcon 9 rocket . These glow-in-the-dark baby bobtail squid will become part...
String of Lights
Across the Sky
May 9, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
String of Lights Across the Sky Prompts Calls
Low-flying SpaceX satellites obscure the view for professionals and amateurs
- A string of lights that lobbed across the night sky in parts of the US on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday had some people wondering if a fleet of UFOs was coming, but it had others—mostly amateur stargazers and professional astronomers—lamenting the industrialization of space. The train of lights...
Lands, Doesn't Explode
May 6, 2021 3:38 AM CDT
Starship Prototype Lands, Doesn't Explode
It was fifth time's the charm for SpaceX
- SpaceX's policy of testing prototypes until they fail appears to have paid off: A Starship prototype took off from SpaceX's Texas test site Thursday, and unlike its four predecessors, it aced the landing as well as the flight, Space.com reports. Other recent unmanned test flights exploded on...
SpaceX Crew Makes
Safe, Rare Splashdown
May 2, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
SpaceX Crew Makes Safe, Rare Splashdown
4 astronauts are back after record-setting stay at International Space Station
- A four-member SpaceX crew returning from the International Space Station made a piloted landing in the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday, the first such nighttime landing in almost 54 years. After the gentle water landing just before 3am, aided by four parachutes, the Resilience capsule was lifted onto a recovery...
Elon Musk Adding Something
Unexpected to Resume
Apr 25, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Elon Musk Adding Something Unexpected to Resume
Billionaire will host SNL
- Elon Musk is again doing something unlikely for one of the world's richest people : hosting Saturday Night Live. As the AP notes, it's not a typical choice for the sketch comedy show, either. But the timing may be just right for the self-anointed "Technoking" of Tesla, whose...
ISS Now Has Highest
Population in a Decade
Apr 24, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
ISS Now Has Highest Population in a Decade
SpaceX arrival brings number of astronauts to 11
- The International Space Station's population swelled to 11 on Saturday with the jubilant arrival of SpaceX's third crew capsule in less than a year. It's the biggest crowd up there in more than a decade. All of the astronauts—representing the US, Russia, Japan, and France—managed...
SpaceX Retrieves Piece of
Debris a Farmer Discovered
Apr 4, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
SpaceX Retrieves Piece of Debris a Farmer Discovered
It left a nearly 4-inch dent in the ground
- A piece of burning rocket debris seen streaking across the Pacific Northwest sky last week crashed on a farm in eastern Washington state, authorities said. After the March 25 event, a farmer discovered a nearly intact piece of rocket in a private field, the
reported. The approximately 5-foot...
'At Least the Crater
Is in the Right Place'
After Starship Test
Mar 30, 2021 5:04 PM CDT
'At Least the Crater Is in the Right Place' After Starship Test
Another prototype bites the dust
- SpaceX chalked up another failed landing Tuesday for its futuristic, bullet-shaped Starship, as the prototype Mars rocket broke apart right before touchdown. A camera on the rocket froze not quite six minutes into the test flight, and dense fog in South Texas obscured views of the ruptured rocket. Other video...
Here Is the Crew of First
Private Flight by SpaceX
Mar 30, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
Here Is the Crew of First Private Flight by SpaceX
Billionaire fills out his 4-person team
- A billionaire’s private SpaceX flight filled its two remaining seats Tuesday with a scientist-teacher and a data engineer whose college friend actually won a spot but gave him the prize, per the AP . The new passengers: Sian Proctor, 51, a community college educator in Tempe, Arizona, and Chris Sembroski,...
Over Seattle May Link
Back to SpaceX
Mar 26, 2021 12:43 PM CDT
Mysterious Object Over Seattle May Link Back to SpaceX
Company hasn't yet confirmed the 'dazzling,' meteor-like 'phantom' was one of its rockets
- On Thursday evening, a "dazzling, splintering phantom" made its way across the sky in the Pacific Northwest, reaching from Portland to Seattle, reports the
. The sighting shocked, pleased, and confused viewers on the ground, who both marveled at the beauty of it but also expressed concern about...
There's a New
Most Valuable Startup
Mar 15, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
There's a New Most Valuable Startup
Funding pushes Stripe past SpaceX and Instacart
- Stripe's new round of funding has left SpaceX and Instacart in the dust. The payments processing company announced it had added $600 million on Sunday, for a valuation of $95 billion. That shoots Stripe past SpaceX, which is valued at $74 billion, and Instacart, which is pegged at $39...
Residents of 'Space Island'
Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Mar 10, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Residents of 'Space Island' Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Biak Island elder says supporting Indonesian spaceport would mean 'sponsoring' genocide
- Residents of a small island in Indonesia aren't too pleased to learn that their government has offered up their land to SpaceX boss Elon Musk. Indonesia President Joko Widodo has been encouraging Musk to build a rocket launch site in his country for months, per AFP . Biak's location,...
Lands, Then Explodes
Mar 4, 2021 12:07 AM CST
SpaceX Starship Lands, Then Explodes
The cause is not immediately known
- SpaceX’s futuristic Starship looked like it aced a touchdown Wednesday, but then exploded on the landing pad with so much force that it was hurled into the air, the AP reports. The failure occurred just minutes after SpaceX declared success. The full-scale prototype soared more than 6 miles after...
Want to Go on
to the Moon?
Mar 3, 2021 7:21 AM CST
Want to Go on SpaceX Flight to the Moon? He's Paying
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa launches contest for 8 to ride with him to lunar orbit in 2023
- It's a Frank Sinatra song come to life, courtesy of a billionaire. In 2018, tycoon and art collector Yusaku Maezawa, founder of Japanese online fashion mall Zozotown, was announced as the first signed passenger aboard SpaceX's Starship rocket, set to fly to the moon sometime in 2023. At...
Feb 22, 2021 9:04 AM CST
Child Cancer Survivor Will Be Youngest American in Space
Physician Hayley Arceneaux, 29, to orbit Earth in SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket later this year
- Later this year, a big first in space travel is on the calendar: the first manned mission around Earth, courtesy of SpaceX, with not a single professional astronaut on board. The trip was made possible by billionaire Jared Isaacman, who the
New York Times
notes bought the Falcon 9 rocket...
SpaceX Rocket Crashes,
Explodes on Landing
Feb 3, 2021 12:04 AM CST
SpaceX Rocket Crashes, Explodes on Landing
The second Starship test flight ended the same way the first did
- SpaceX’s second full test flight of its futuristic, bullet-shaped Starship ended in another fiery crash landing Tuesday, the AP reports. Elon Musk’s company launched its latest Starship prototype from the southeastern tip of Texas, two months after the previous test ended in an equally explosive belly flop. (Video...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.