Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond
Alleged Glass House for Musk
Sep 20, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond Alleged Glass House for Musk
Prosecutors are looking at other perks the CEO may have received dating back to 2017
- A Justice Department investigation exploring whether Tesla funds were used to build a proposed glass house for CEO Elon Musk is more wide-reaching than previously known and could result in criminal charges. Federal prosecutors in New York are not only investigating other potential personal benefits Tesla provided to the billionaire...
Sep 8, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
Book: Musk Blocked Drone Attack by Ukraine
Walter Isaacson reveals SpaceX CEO's role in turning off Starlink network near Crimea in 2022
- Earlier this year, SpaceX execs acknowledged that they blocked Ukrainian forces from using Starlink communications systems for military purposes in the war against Russia. Now, CNN reports that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk personally had his engineers cut off power last year—the exact date isn't clear—to a Starlink...
Elon Musk: Starship
Is Ready for Launch.
FAA: Not So Fast
Sep 7, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Starship Is Ready for Launch. FAA: Not So Fast
Agency says investigation into disastrous first launch is still open
- More than four months after the most powerful rocket ever created exploded soon after liftoff , SpaceX is ready to try again. The company has stacked its Starship rocket on top of a Super Heavy booster at its launch pad in Boca Chica in southern Texas. "Starship is ready to...
Elon Musk $1B
Around the Time
He Bought Twitter
Sep 6, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
SpaceX Loaned Elon Musk $1B Around the Time He Bought Twitter
Though it's not clear what the loan was for
- In October, the same month Elon Musk was acquiring Twitter, he took out what the
Wall Street Journal
describes as an "unusual" $1 billion loan from SpaceX. The following month, he paid it back in full, plus interest. It's not clear what the loan was for, and Musk...
SpaceX Was at
Sep 4, 2023 5:49 AM CDT
SpaceX Was at Work Overnight
4 astronauts splash down off Florida in 'spectacular' middle-of-night capsule landing
- Four astronauts returned to Earth early Monday after a six-month stay at the International Space Station, reports the AP , with their SpaceX capsule parachuting into the Atlantic off the Florida coast. Returning were NASA astronauts Stephen Bowen and Warren "Woody" Hoburg, Russia's Andrei Fedyaev, and the United Arab...
US Sues SpaceX,
Which Elon Musk
Says Is 'Insane'
Aug 26, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
US Sues SpaceX, Which Elon Musk Says Is 'Insane'
Department of Justice alleges hiring discrimination
- The US Department of Justice on Thursday sued SpaceX, the rocket company founded and run by Elon Musk, for alleged hiring discrimination against refugees and people granted asylum, the AP reports. The complaint, filed in an administrative court within the department, asserts that SpaceX wrongly claimed that federal export control...
Forced to Swerve
Every 10 Minutes
Jul 16, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
SpaceX Satellites Forced to Swerve Every 10 Minutes
That's an average, based on 25K avoidance maneuvers reported in 6 months
- Space is unimaginably vast, so you'd think there would be more than enough room for whatever you want to put into orbit. SpaceX and Starlink engineers would likely tell you it's not that simple. An FCC report filed by the Elon Musk-led satellite internet provider on June 30...
Just Hired a
Jun 13, 2023 3:27 PM CDT
Elon Musk Just Hired a 14-Year-Old Prodigy
Kairan Quazi is graduating from Santa Clara University this week
- Kairan Quazi isn't even old enough for his first prom, but he's got a date with Elon Musk. As CBS News reports, the 14-year-old Californian is graduating Santa Clara University this week and heading directly to Redmond, Washington, (with his mom) where he'll take up a position...
First Saudi Woman
Is Headed to Space
in Very Pricey Trip
May 21, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
First Saudi Woman Is Headed to Space in Very Pricey Trip
Along with a record-holding NASA astronaut on a very expensive private SpaceX flight
- Saudi Arabia’s first astronauts in decades rocketed toward the International Space Station on a chartered multimillion-dollar flight Sunday. SpaceX launched the ticket-holding crew, led by a retired NASA astronaut now working for the company that arranged the trip. Also on board, per the AP : a US businessman who now...
May 2, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
More Fallout for SpaceX's Rocket Launch
Environmental groups aren't happy and are suing the FAA over Starship's launch
- Wildlife and environmental groups sued the Federal Aviation Administration on Monday over SpaceX’s launch last month of its giant rocket from Texas. SpaceX’s Starship soared 24 miles high before exploding over the Gulf of Mexico on April 20. The rocket's self-destruct system caused the nearly 400-foot rocket...
Starship Was Launched
Without Normal Protections
Apr 26, 2023 4:26 PM CDT
Starship Was Launched Without Normal Protections
Launch obliterated launchpad, spread debris much further than expected
- Before last Thursday's launch, SpaceX warned that its Starship rocket was likely to explode—but the company did not predict that the launch would obliterate the launchpad, causing particulate matter to spread over a much wider area than expected. As is standard practice, the Federal Aviation Administration has grounded...
Elon Musk's No Good,
Very Bad, $13B-Loss Day
Apr 21, 2023 11:24 AM CDT
Elon Musk's No Good, Very Bad, $13B-Loss Day
Perfect storm involving 3 of his firms leads to financial fallout for CEO
- It's been a challenging few days for Elon Musk: Tesla had a disappointing earnings call on Wednesday, his SpaceX rocket exploded minutes after takeoff on Thursday, and Twitter continues to ... go through some things . The CEO took a big financial hit amid these struggles from all of his three...
Ends in Flames
Apr 20, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Starship's Launch Ends in Flames
World's most powerful rocket doesn't quite make it into the atmosphere
- SpaceX's massive rocket did indeed get off the ground on Thursday morning, but it quickly returned there in flames and never made it into orbit, reports the
New York Times
. Starship exploded over the Gulf of Mexico minutes after liftoff from the SpaceX facility in Boca Chica, Texas; it...
SpaceX Scrubs Launch
of World's Biggest Rocket
Apr 17, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
SpaceX Scrubs Launch of World's Biggest Rocket
Elon Musk's company delays test flight of Starship
- SpaceX still plans to launch a behemoth into space—the world's largest and most powerful rocket known as Starship—but it's not happening Monday as planned. The nearly 400-foot-tall rocket was on the launch pad at the company's facility in Boca Chica, Texas, but the company called...
Cleared for Launch
Apr 15, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Most Powerful Rocket Ever Cleared for Launch
Uncrewed Starship is scheduled for Monday morning liftoff
- After receiving the all-clear from the Federal Aviation Administration, SpaceX plans its first test flight of the most powerful rocket ever built. The launch of the crewless Starship is scheduled for 7am Monday from the company's base east of Brownsville, Texas, Phys.org reports. The Starship spacecraft consists of...
Aims to Build
Mar 10, 2023 12:30 PM CST
Elon Musk Aims to Build 'Texas Utopia'
'Wall Street Journal' has the scoop on emerging 'town' on farmland near Austin
- Elon Musk's next big move: Building a company town, apparently. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Musk or related entities have bought up to 6,000 acres of farmland outside the Texas capital of Austin. The goal has a Musk-like sound to it:
"In meetings with landowners and
Use of Starlink
Feb 9, 2023 3:45 PM CST
SpaceX Blocks Ukraine's Military Use of Starlink
Company says technology was intended for communication, not offensive applications
- SpaceX leaders have conceded that they've been blocking Ukrainian forces from employing Starlink technology for military uses. "It was never intended to be weaponized," SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell said at a conference Thursday, CNN reports. Frustrated Ukrainian officials answered along the lines of "but that's...
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want
to Be the CEO of Any Company'
Nov 16, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want to Be the CEO of Any Company'
The CEO/CEO/CEO testified in a Tesla shareholder trial in Delaware
- Elon Musk is a CEO in triplicate: It's the title he has at Tesla, SpaceX, and now Twitter. But as he tells it, he'd prefer the count to be zero. Musk said as much from the witness stand Wednesday while in a Delaware court where he was battling...
Nov 1, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
World's Most Powerful Rocket Takes Flight Again
SpaceX's Falcon Heavy flies again for first time since 2019
- SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket—the most powerful operational rocket in the world, though soon to be overpowered —took flight Tuesday for the first time in three years. The rocket launched about 9:40am from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida carrying two classified satellites into space for...
SpaceX: We Can't Keep
Paying for Ukraine Satellites
Oct 14, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
SpaceX: We Can't Keep Paying for Ukraine Satellites
CNN reports the company wants Pentagon to start picking up the tab for Starlink
- Last Friday, Elon Musk laid out on Twitter how much it's cost his SpaceX company this year to donate 20,000 or so Starlink satellite units to Ukraine: roughly $80 million, with projections by Musk that the figure will exceed $100 million by year's end. Now, it looks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
A Day Into Military Assault, Victory Is Declared
Family of 4 Shot Dead in Illinois, Along With Their Dogs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.