Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Most Animals Ignore
Wildlife Cameras. This
Bear Took 400 Selfies
Jan 27, 2023 12:03 PM CST
Most Animals Ignore Wildlife Cameras. This Bear Took 400 Selfies
Colorado bear was captivated by device
- Animals generally scurry past wildlife cameras without noticing them, but a bear in Boulder spotted one of the devices and decided it was ready for its close-up. The Colorado city's Open Space and Mountain Parks team says the bear took hundreds of "selfies" on a motion-activated camera on...
'James Dean of Bears'
Killed in Car Accident
Jan 25, 2023 2:54 PM CST
'James Dean of Bears' Killed in Car Accident
Rebellious bear was hit by a car on a mountain road in Italy
- Italy is mourning Juan Carrito, a rare Apennine brown bear that captured the public's attention with exploits including drinking from fountains, playing with dogs, and breaking into a bakery . The bear, one of an estimated 60 members of the critically endangered subspecies in the Apennine mountains, died after he...
Man Finds Surprise Guest
Hibernating Under His Deck
Jan 10, 2023 7:55 AM CST
Man Finds Surprise Guest Hibernating Under His Deck
Connecticut family is letting black bear 'Marty Bearnard' stay until his monthslong rest is over
- Looking for a comfy place to hunker down for the winter is the prime goal for many creatures as the temperatures start to dip. For one black bear on the East Coast, the perfect spot emerged in Connecticut—under Vinny Dashukewich's deck. The Plainville man tells the
Black or Brown Bears, Sure.
But What About Cinnamon?
Dec 19, 2022 8:17 AM CST
Black or Brown Bears, Sure. But What About Cinnamon?
Study identifies genetic variant that makes black bears look like grizzlies
- Those who traipse around the woods may be familiar with an old saying about what to do if they encounter a bear: “If it’s black, fight back; if it’s brown, lie down; if it’s white, say good night.” Nowhere, however, does the word "cinnamon"...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
Fat Bear Week Champ
Is a 'Giant Among Bears'
Oct 12, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Fat Bear Week Champ Is a 'Giant Among Bears'
'Bear Force One' claims second title after attempt to cheat vote was thwarted
- After an unusually dramatic voting process, Bear 747, aka Bear Force One, has been crowned the winner of this year's Fat Bear Week, a contest held as the bears in Alaska's Ketmai National Park pack on the pounds as hibernation approaches. The male bear, believed to be one...
Colorado Town Suffers
2nd Bear Attack in 2 Months
Oct 4, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Colorado Town Suffers 2nd Bear Attack in 2 Months
New Castle man is expected to recover after animal went after him in his yard
- A Colorado man is recuperating after a bear attacked him at his home over the weekend—the second such attack in his town since late August. Per a release from Colorado Parks & Wildlife cited by KKTV , the New Castle resident heard noises coming from his backyard around 10:30pm...
Bear That Fought Off
Attacker Found Dead in Cave
Sep 7, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Bear That Fought Off Attacker Found Dead in Cave
Mother bear battled male to protect cub
- The fate of a bear seen fighting valiantly to save one of her cubs was tragic, but "these are things that happen in nature," says Guillermo Palomero, president of Spain's Brown Bear Foundation. In June, hikers in the northern Castile and Leon region recorded video of the...
Colorado Says It's Time
to Step Up Bear-Proofing
Aug 26, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
Colorado Says It's Time to Step Up Bear-Proofing
63 have been euthanized this year, including mom, 4 cubs on Sunday
- The time of year when bears get very, very hungry is approaching, and authorities in Colorado are urging the public to take warnings about bear-proofing their homes seriously. Authorities say keeping bears out of your home protects bears as well as humans, since breaking into an occupied structure will result...
'Mad Honey' Blamed for
Bear Cub's Woozy State
Aug 12, 2022 6:32 AM CDT
'Mad Honey' Blamed for Bear Cub's Woozy State
Luckily, bear rescued in Turkey is going to be OK after ingesting hallucinogenic neurotoxin
- Only a few places in the world host native rhododendrons that produce grayanotoxin, a powerful neurotoxin. The honey created by bees who consume the plant's nectar is known as "mad honey" and can cause intoxication. One of those locales is Turkey's Kaçkar Mountains, where a brown...
4 Bears Killed in Campground
Reserved for Homeless
Jul 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
4 Bears Killed in Campground Reserved for Homeless
People moved to park after Anchorage closed pandemic mass shelter
- Alaska wildlife officials have killed four black bears in a campground recently reserved for people in Anchorage who are homeless after the closure of the city's largest shelter. Employees from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Tuesday killed a sow, her two cubs, and another adult bear...
Man Hiking at High Elevation
in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
Jun 29, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Man Hiking at High Elevation in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
It was thought to be a grizzly
- A hiker appears to have survived being mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Wyoming. The "experienced out-of-state recreationalist" was hiking high up on the 13,000-foot Francs Peak Monday when he met a bear, thought to be a grizzly. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Tuesday characterized...
Trump Jr. Killed
a Bear, and His
Guide May Go
May 22, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Illegal bait traps were allegedly used, according to 'Salt Lake Tribune'
- Donald Trump Jr. killed a bear during a Utah hunting trip in 2018, and that kill might land his hunting guide behind bars, reports the
Salt Lake Tribune
. Guide Wade Lemon is under investigation for allegedly setting an illegal bait trap—one with “a pile of grain, oil and...
That Snoring Noise Was
Not What Family Thought
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
That Snoring Noise Was Not What Family Thought
Mom and 4 yearling cubs have since moved on from hibernating under Lake Tahoe home
- A California family thought they occasionally heard a strange sound coming from underneath their Lake Tahoe home, but when they asked neighbors to listen for the rumbly noise, similar to snoring, no one else noticed it. So they ignored it ... until last week, when the five bears who'd spent...
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death
for Endangered Resident
Apr 27, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death for Endangered Resident
Arrests have been made after authorities say villagers in Iran tortured, killed brown bear
- Authorities in Iran have made arrests after the "horrible" killing Sunday of an endangered brown bear by villagers in Ardabil province, per the BBC. State news agencies reported that villagers chased the bear, beat it, and trapped it with a tractor, fracturing the animal's leg and pelvis and...
Bear Relocated After
Bakery Break-in Walks
100 Miles 'Home'
Apr 14, 2022 8:22 AM CDT
Bear Relocated After Bakery Break-in Walks 100 Miles 'Home'
'Juan Carrito' has returned to Italian mountain town
- For a young brown bear in Italy, the call of the trash turned out to be a lot stronger than the call of the wild. The bear, named "Juan Carrito" by residents of a ski town in the Abruzzo region, has returned to the town after a failed effort...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
Man Admits Taking
Bear Cubs From Den
Mar 17, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Man Admits Taking Bear Cubs From Den
But he had to turn to California wildlife officials for help before too long
- A Northern California man who admitted to taking two bear cubs from their den and notified officials after he was unable to care for them pleaded guilty to possession of a prohibited species, wildlife officials said. Cody Dylon Setzer, 29, and a co-worker who has not been identified and cooperated...
Hank the Tank
Feb 22, 2022 6:14 AM CST
Hank the Tank Strikes Again
Supporters hope to remove black bear from Lake Tahoe area, where he's wreaking havoc
Hank the Tank is at it again. The 500-pound black bear who's been busting into homes around Lake Tahoe made his way into yet another home Friday, according to South Lake Tahoe police. "He broke into a secured home, through the small window in the photo, and...
Virginia Road Closed
Due to Sleeping Bears
Dec 27, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Virginia Road Closed Due to Sleeping Bears
They were spotted napping in a tree on Bruin Drive
- Officials in Virginia closed a road in a Chesapeake neighborhood after a mother bear and three cubs were spotted napping in a tree. Chesapeake Animal Services asked residents near the tree—on Bruin Drive—to stay inside Monday and the general public to stay away from the area, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.