Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van
Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Sep 19, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Mama bear and cub bust into vehicle outside military base in Anchorage for some doughnuts
- A mama bear and her cub went a little
on some doughnuts in Anchorage last week. Candice Sergeant, the manager of a Krispy Kreme store in the Alaskan city's Muldoon neighborhood, tells CBS Chicago that she was working her shift last Tuesday when she got an "...
Faces Influx of Bears
Aug 30, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Evacuated City Faces Influx of Bears
Wildlife officials believe wildfires pushed black bears into Yellowknife
- Yellowknife, the capital of Canada's Northwest Territories, was evacuated earlier this month as a huge wildfire neared the city, but emergency workers stayed behind —and they have been joined by bears. The animals, apparently attracted by the smell of garbage left behind when residents rushed to leave, have...
This Is What You Don't
Want on the Golf Course
Aug 10, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
This Is What You Don't Want on the Golf Course
Canadian golfer suffers an ursine-related theft caught on video
- Sometimes a guy just wants to play a relaxing round of golf with his buddies. And sometimes a bear just wants to get his mitts on some of said guy's golf clubs. The two worlds collided in what
somewhat dramatically calls the "wildest, scariest horror film...
4 Furry Suspects
in Tahoe Mayhem
Aug 7, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Authorities Bust 4 Furry Suspects in Tahoe Mayhem
'Hank the Tank' and her youngsters have been captured in California after string of break-ins
- California authorities have captured four suspects in multiple break-ins at homes around South Lake Tahoe, and they're not who you might think: a mama bear and three of her cubs. DNA has confirmed the large female black bear and her three little accomplices were responsible for at least 21...
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
Decides to Cool Off
Jul 31, 2023 2:48 PM CDT
California Bear Decides to Cool Off
Burbank cops get called to respond to a bear chilling in a swimming pool
- Apparently, recalcitrant teenagers sneaking out after dark aren't the only pool-hoppers. In something of an answer to "how hot is it?," it was unbearable enough for a California black bear to break into a Burbank home and have himself a dip in the pool, reports CNN . With...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
Bear Shows Why It's Not
Wise to Leave Dog Food in Car
Jun 8, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Bear Shows Why It's Not Wise to Leave Dog Food in Car
Animal got stuck inside vehicle in Colorado, but was eventually set free
- An unlocked vehicle is not a safe place to store food, Colorado wildlife officials warned in sharing a video of a bear that sniffed out dog food inside a pickup truck, went in after it, then locked itself inside. In a cellphone video , a Colorado Parks and Wildlife officer revealed...
May 27, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Bear Busts Into Bakery, Scarfs Down 60 Cupcakes
Bakery owner heard worker 'screaming bloody murder,' then walked in to quite a scene
- A hungry black bear barged into the garage of a Connecticut bakery, scared several employees, and helped itself to 60 cupcakes before ambling away. Workers at Taste by Spellbound in the town of Avon were loading cakes into a van for delivery on Wednesday when the bear showed up, per...
Hunter Could Get Jail Time
Over Alleged IDing Error
May 16, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Hunter Could Get Jail Time Over Alleged IDing Error
Wyoming's Patrick Gogerty claims he mistook the protected grizzly for a black bear, shot it dead
- A Wyoming man is facing up to a year in jail after allegedly killing a protected grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park. Patrick Gogerty of Cody claims he mistook the 530-pound male grizzly for a black bear, the largest of which generally weigh up to 700 pounds, per the AP...
School Principal Runs From
May 2, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
School Principal Runs From Dumpster-Diving Bear
The administrator was trying to lock the dumpster to keep the bear out
- A West Virginia school principal had an unexpected encounter with a bear that popped out of a dumpster, reports Fox 5 DC . Principal James Marsh of Zela Elementary spotted a bear on school grounds and went to lock the dumpster to keep it out. Instead, he found himself sprinting away...
This Is How We Know
Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
Apr 19, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
This Is How We Know Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
At least this black bear in BC, who downed 69 cans of regular from woman's car but not the diet version
- Diet soda isn't for everyone, and now we can add bears to that list—or at least this particular one in Canada, who broke into a resident's vehicle and quaffed 69 cans of regular pop before calling it a night. Per the CBC , Sharon Rosel of Earls Cove,...
Bear That Killed Italian Runner
Sees Its Execution Stayed
Apr 14, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Bear That Killed Italian Runner Sees Its Execution Stayed
Bear JJ4 mauled a jogger to death in a nature reserve
- After 26-year-old runner Andrea Papi was mauled by a bear named JJ4 in a Trentino, Italy, nature preserve, Papi's mother released a letter through her attorney, reports Italian publication Today . "As a mother," Franca Ghirardini wrote, "I can't accept such a horrible death." But,...
Now a Vending Machine
Thing: Bear Meat
Apr 3, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
Now a Vending Machine Thing: Bear Meat
Japan does it again
- Japan, the country that brought you whale meat in a vending machine , has a popular new flavor of vending machine meat, and there's a certain four-legged segment of the wild population that's not going to be happy to hear it: bears. That's right, for the bargain price...
Feb 25, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Bear Really Wants Out of the Zoo
Ben recaptured after 2nd escape from St. Louis Zoo this month
- St. Louis Zoo officials say they're working to find a way to keep an Andean bear named Ben inside his enclosure after he escaped Thursday for the second time this month. The bear was outside for less than an hour and was found only about 100 feet away from...
Most Animals Ignore
Wildlife Cameras. This
Bear Took 400 Selfies
Jan 27, 2023 12:03 PM CST
Most Animals Ignore Wildlife Cameras. This Bear Took 400 Selfies
Colorado bear was captivated by device
- Animals generally scurry past wildlife cameras without noticing them, but a bear in Boulder spotted one of the devices and decided it was ready for its close-up. The Colorado city's Open Space and Mountain Parks team says the bear took hundreds of "selfies" on a motion-activated camera on...
'James Dean of Bears'
Killed in Car Accident
Jan 25, 2023 2:54 PM CST
'James Dean of Bears' Killed in Car Accident
Rebellious bear was hit by a car on a mountain road in Italy
- Italy is mourning Juan Carrito, a rare Apennine brown bear that captured the public's attention with exploits including drinking from fountains, playing with dogs, and breaking into a bakery . The bear, one of an estimated 60 members of the critically endangered subspecies in the Apennine mountains, died after he...
Man Finds Surprise Guest
Hibernating Under His Deck
Jan 10, 2023 7:55 AM CST
Man Finds Surprise Guest Hibernating Under His Deck
Connecticut family is letting black bear 'Marty Bearnard' stay until his monthslong rest is over
- Looking for a comfy place to hunker down for the winter is the prime goal for many creatures as the temperatures start to dip. For one black bear on the East Coast, the perfect spot emerged in Connecticut—under Vinny Dashukewich's deck. The Plainville man tells the
Black or Brown Bears, Sure.
But What About Cinnamon?
Dec 19, 2022 8:17 AM CST
Black or Brown Bears, Sure. But What About Cinnamon?
Study identifies genetic variant that makes black bears look like grizzlies
- Those who traipse around the woods may be familiar with an old saying about what to do if they encounter a bear: “If it’s black, fight back; if it’s brown, lie down; if it’s white, say good night.” Nowhere, however, does the word "cinnamon"...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.