Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Alabama Wants to Be First
With a Nitrogen Execution
Aug 27, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Alabama Wants to Be First With a Nitrogen Execution
State seeks permission to use the method critics call experimental
- Alabama is seeking to become the first state to execute a prisoner by making him breathe pure nitrogen. The Alabama attorney general's office has asked the state Supreme Court to set an execution date for death row inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith, 58, per the AP . The court filing indicated...
Carried by Mosquitoes
Surfaces, Killing 1
Aug 23, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Rare Disease Carried by Mosquitoes Surfaces, Killing 1
Another person in Alabama has been infected
- Health officials have warned about a rare virus that can be transmitted by mosquitoes after its detection in distant states and the death of an infected person in Alabama. Two people became ill there, Live Science reports, with eastern equine encephalitis, which can inflame the brain. Both cases were in...
Court Upholds Alabama Ban
on Care for Trans Youth
Aug 22, 2023 5:24 PM CDT
Court Upholds Alabama Ban on Care for Trans Youth
Federal appeals court says state can enforce ban on puberty blockers, hormone treatment
- A federal appeals court ruled Monday that Alabama can enforce a ban outlawing the use of puberty blockers and hormones to treat transgender children, the second such appellate victory for gender-affirming care restrictions that have been adopted by a growing number of Republican-led states. A three-judge panel of the 11th...
$275K Raised for
Aug 15, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
$275K Raised for Chair-Wielding Brawl Participant
Reggie Ray 'in good spirits' as he leaves jail
- More than $275,000 has been raised to help a Black man who wielded a folding chair in the Aug. 5 brawl on the riverfront in Montgomery, Alabama. Reggie Ray became something of a viral sensation after footage allegedly showed him hitting a white man and a white woman with...
Report: Alabama's Senator
Does Not Live in Alabama
Aug 11, 2023 7:32 AM CDT
Report: Alabama's Senator Does Not Live in Alabama
Tuberville sold his last Alabama property last month, records indicate he lives in Florida
- Sen. Tommy Tuberville represents Alabama in the US Senate but records—and his own statements—suggest that he's been living in Florida for years, according to the
, which dubs the Republican "Florida's third senator," reports that Tuberville sold the last properties he...
3 Men Charged With
Assault in Montgomery Brawl
Aug 8, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
3 Men Charged With Assault in Montgomery Brawl
Black worker was attacked after telling white group to move boat
- Three men have been charged in connection with a massive brawl on the Montgomery, Alabama riverfront on Saturday and police say more charges could be on the way. Montgomery Police Chief Darryl Albert said Tuesday that Richard Roberts, 48; Allen Todd, 23; and Zachery Shipman, 25, have been charged with...
Alabama Woman Charged With
Falsely Reporting Kidnapping
Jul 28, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Alabama Woman Charged With Falsely Reporting Kidnapping
Carlee Russell claimed she was taken after seeing toddler by road
- An Alabama woman who has acknowledged making up a story that she was kidnapped along an interstate after stopping to help a child has been charged in the case, officials said Friday. Carlee Russell faces two misdemeanor counts, false reporting to law enforcement and falsely reporting an incident, that could...
Carry Out Executions
Jul 21, 2023 4:17 AM CDT
Alabama, Oklahoma Carry Out Executions
James Barber said he felt 'trepidation' after two failed executions in Alabama
- Alabama executed a man on Friday for the 2001 beating death of a woman as the state resumed lethal injections after two failed executions prompted the governor to order an internal review of procedures. James Barber, 64, was pronounced dead at 1:56am after receiving a lethal injection at a...
49 Hours of Mystery
in Woman's Highway
Jul 20, 2023 12:46 AM CDT
49 Hours of Mystery in Woman's Highway Disappearance
Police say they haven't been able to verify most of Carlee Russell's story
- More strange details are coming out about what allegedly happened to Carlee Russell, the Alabama woman who vanished from an interstate after claiming to have seen a toddler wandering alone on the side of the highway, only to reappear on her family's doorstep two days later. The 25-year-old's...
Due to Be Executed
Jul 19, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Due to Be Executed After Botched Lethal Injections, He's Concerned
James Barber says he feels 'trepidation,' but not fear, over what's to come
- James Barber is set to be put to death in Alabama Thursday night unless an appeals court intervenes, and he will be the first prisoner the state executes since a series of botched lethal injection and lethal injection attempts led to a temporary halt in executions that started in November...
Story of Woman
Jul 17, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Story of Woman Who Vanished on Highway Gets Stranger
Boyfriend says Carlee Russell was kidnapped, fought for her life before eventually reappearing
- The boyfriend of an Alabama woman who vanished for two days after reportedly seeing a toddler wandering on the side of an interstate Thursday night says she was abducted. Before she reappeared at her family home Saturday night, Carlethia "Carlee" Nichole Russell, 25, "was literally fighting for her...
Woman Who Vanished
on Interstate Found Safe
Jul 16, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Woman Who Vanished on Interstate Found Safe
Carlee Russell in Alabama had told police she saw a toddler on side of the road
- An Alabama woman who disappeared after reporting a toddler wandering on the side of an interstate has been found safe, reports CNN . Carlee Russell, 25, "stunned" relatives by showing up at her family's door Saturday night, per the
New York Times
. She has been taken to a hospital...
Alabama Firefighters Shot
Shortly After Shift Began
Jul 12, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Alabama Firefighters Shot Shortly After Shift Began
They have been hospitalized in serious condition
- Two Alabama firefighters were shot Wednesday morning in what police believe was a targeted attacked. The shooting occurred in Birmingham's Station 9 just prior to 8:30am, shortly after the men had started their shift, reports Al.com . Birmingham Police Chief Scott Thurmond says the shooter entered via the...
in 1999 Deaths
of Teenage Girls
Jun 15, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Killer Receives Life Sentence in 1999 Deaths of Teenage Girls
DNA testing tied Coley McCraney to the slayings
- An Alabama judge sentenced a man to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on Thursday, bringing a close to the case of the slayings of two teenage girls in 1999. Coley McCraney was convicted of capital murder in April by a jury that decided the sentence, which the judge was...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands
Victory to State's Black Voters
Jun 8, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands Victory to State's Black Voters
Decision orders creation of second Black-majority district in Alabama
- The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a surprising 5-4 ruling in favor of Black voters in a congressional redistricting case, ordering the creation of a second district with a large Black population, per the AP . Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberals in...
Supreme Court Sides With
Alabama Death Row Inmate
May 16, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Alabama Death Row Inmate
Says Kenneth Smith should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia
- The US Supreme Court on Monday sided with an Alabama death row inmate, who had his lethal injection called off at the last minute in November, and argues he should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia when he is ultimately executed, the AP reports. Justices without comment rejected the...
3rd Suspect Arrested
in Alabama Mass Shooting
Apr 19, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
3rd Suspect Arrested in Alabama Mass Shooting
Arrest of Wilson Lamar Hill in Dadeville shooting follows arrest of teen brothers
- A third suspect was taken into custody Wednesday in connection with the Saturday night mass shooting in Alabama that killed four people and injured 32 others. Police say Auburn resident Wilson LaMar Hill Jr., 20, was arrested Wednesday afternoon and charged with four counts of reckless murder, AL.com reports....
Teen Football Star Died
Saving Sister's Life at
Her Sweet 16 Party
Apr 18, 2023 12:03 AM CDT
Teen Football Star Died Saving Sister's Life at Her Sweet 16 Party
Phil Dowdell was among the 4 killed in Alabama dance hall shooting
- One of the final acts of the star football player killed at his sister's 16th birthday party in Alabama Saturday night was to save that sister's life. Phil Dowdell, 18, pushed his sister Alexis to the ground when shots rang out, she tells the BBC . They were then...
Birthday Party Shooting
Kills 4, Wounds 15 Teens
Apr 16, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Birthday Party Shooting Kills 4, Wounds 15 Teens
Pastor says most people in Alabama town knew the victims
- A shooting at a Sweet 16 birthday celebration in Dadeville, Alabama, on Saturday night sent at least 15 teenagers to hospitals with gunshot wounds, in addition to leaving four people dead. Five of the wounded teenagers were in critical condition Sunday, CNN reports. Authorities in the town of 3,000...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.