Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alabama Calls for
Halt to Executions
Nov 22, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Alabama Calls for Halt to Executions
Political scientist Austin Sarat wants to see the 'insane' method ended across the country
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has called for a stop to executions in the state after two failed attempts at lethal injections—a problem on display in other states this week. In a Monday release, following the failed executions of Kenneth Smith on Nov. 17 and Alan Miller on Sept. 22,...
Scheduled Execution Takes
Several Twists and Turns
Nov 18, 2022 12:36 AM CST
Scheduled Execution Takes Several Twists and Turns
Alabama ultimately called off the planned execution of Kenneth Smith
- An appellate court on Thursday night issued a stay halting the scheduled execution of Alabama inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith, and the state then appealed to the US Supreme Court—which vacated the stay, theoretically allowing the 57-year-old's lethal injection to proceed. But the SCOTUS decision was issued just hours...
Man Shoots Himself After
Long Standoff in Alabama
Oct 31, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Man Shoots Himself After Long Standoff in Alabama
He held police at bay outside government building in Mobile
- A man with a gun held police at bay outside a government building for more than five hours Monday, shutting down part of downtown Mobile, Alabama, before shooting himself, authorities said. The man, who wasn't immediately identified, was believed to have suffered a life-threatening wound, but his condition wasn'...
Alabama Prison Botches
Another Lethal Injection
Oct 10, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Alabama Prison Botches Another Lethal Injection
Alan Eugene Miller previously sued the state for failing to use his chosen method of execution
- Alan Eugene Miller is now America’s only living execution survivor, according to the
Elizabeth Bruenig, who was present at Alabama's Holman prison Sept. 22 with the expectation of witnessing Miller’s execution. Instead, Bruenig was present for yet another botched execution, Alabama’s second of the...
Alabama Runs Out of
Time to Execute Inmate
Sep 23, 2022 3:51 AM CDT
Alabama Runs Out of Time to Execute Inmate
They had trouble accessing Alan Miller's veins for lethal injection
- Alabama officials called off the Thursday lethal injection of a man convicted in a 1999 workplace shooting because of time concerns and trouble accessing the inmate’s veins. Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm said the state halted the scheduled execution of Alan Miller after they determined they could not get...
After Rollercoaster Day,
SCOTUS Says Alabama
Can Execute Man
Sep 22, 2022 11:02 PM CDT
After Rollercoaster Day, SCOTUS Says Alabama Can Execute Man
A second court blocked the execution before high court said it can proceed
A divided US Supreme Court said Alabama can proceed Thursday night with the lethal injection of an inmate convicted in a 1999 workplace shooting, vacating two lower court rulings that sided with the condemned man and his request for a different method of execution. The 5-4 decision reversed rulings...
Cops: Grandpa Returned to Car
3 Times After Boy Died in Heat
Sep 22, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Cops: Grandpa Returned to Car 3 Times After Boy Died in Heat
Alabama man has been charged in toddler's death
- An Alabama grandfather who had been taking his grandson to daycare in the mornings as his daughter, the boy's mother, recovered from hip surgery apparently forgot to drop the 2-year-old off Tuesday, with unimaginable consequences. The toddler, Ian Wiesman, was found dead in his grandfather's truck later that...
Alabama Is Prepping an
Untested Execution Method
Sep 14, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Alabama Is Prepping an Untested Execution Method
Method has never been used for execution, but Alabama says it could soon be ready to try it
- Alabama says it’s preparing an untried execution method: nitrogen hypoxia. According to NPR, the method involves inert gas asphyxiation, whereby the level of nitrogen—which typically makes up about 78% of the air we breathe—is fatally raised to 100%. There’s no question hypoxia can lead to death,...
Jailed Here for
Drugs Have Only
One Way Out
Sep 11, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Pregnant Women Jailed Here for Drugs Have Only One Way Out
They're kept behind bars in Etowah County, Ala., unless they go to rehab, pay $10K
- Multiple pregnant women or new moms are behind bars in an Alabama prison after being arrested for drug use, and they're being kept there for "weeks or months" on end under "special conditions," per AL.com . The outlet reports that the women involved, accused of exposing...
They Survived the Holocaust
Together, Died Together, Too
Sep 8, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
They Survived the Holocaust Together, Died Together, Too
Sisters Ilse Scheuer Nathan and Ruth Scheuer Siegler die 11 days apart in Alabama
- Two sisters who together survived the Holocaust then settled within walking distance of each other in Alabama have died 11 days apart. Ilse Scheuer Nathan, 98, died Aug. 23, followed by sister Ruth Scheuer Siegler, 95, on Saturday, per
. Their closeness in Birmingham must've been some comfort....
Tried to Kill Me
Sep 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Divorce Filing: My Husband Tried to Kill Me
Brian Mann charged with attempted murder via lead poisoning in Alabama
- An Alabama woman who filed for divorce from her husband of five years allegedly had very good reason: She says he tried to kill her by giving her capsules that he claimed were vitamins but turned out to contain lead. The woman identified as Hannah spent more than six weeks...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
Black Pastor Plans Suit After
Arrest While Watering Flowers
Aug 27, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Black Pastor Plans Suit After Arrest While Watering Flowers
Michael Jennings said he was taking care of neighbor's Ala. home when cops showed up
- A Black pastor is ramping up for a lawsuit after he says Alabama police wrongfully arrested him outside his home in Childersburg while he was watering his neighbor's flowers. NBC News reports on footage released this week by lawyers for Michael Jennings that shows his May 22 arrest, "...
College Students' Road Trip
Ends in Deadly Shootout
Aug 17, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
2 alleged forest dwellers charged with killing 22-year-old Adam Simjee in Alabama
- A Florida college student exploring the Alabama wilderness with his girlfriend was fatally wounded during a shootout with a would-be robber who appeared to be living with others in the woods, authorities said. Adam Simjee, 22, was shot to death in the Talladega National Forest near popular Cheaha State Park...
Autopsy Reveals 'Lengthy,
Painful' Alabama Execution
Aug 17, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Autopsy Reveals 'Lengthy, Painful' Alabama Execution
Victim's family didn't want Joe Nathan James Jr. executed
- The family of the woman he killed did not want him executed . But Joe Nathan James Jr. was put to death last month in Alabama anyway, and now an independent autopsy reveals that his was a "lengthy and painful death," according to a reporter who witnessed the procedure....
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
At Execution, Officials
Told Journalist Her
Skirt Was Too Short
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 6, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
At Execution, Officials Told Journalist Her Skirt Was Too Short
Reporter had to change into a male photographer's extra pants
- While attempting to report on an Alabama execution last week , a female journalist was informed by a prison official that her skirt was too short and did not meet regulations. Another female reporter says she was subjected to a full-body inspection to make sure her clothing lengths were appropriate, the...
Union Slams 'Outrageous' Order
to Pay Coal Company $13M
Aug 3, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Union Slams 'Outrageous' Order to Pay Coal Company $13M
United Mine Workers of America plans to challenge decision on costs caused by strike
- A federal oversight board has ordered the United Mine Workers of America to pay more than $13 million in compensation to an Alabama coal company whose members have been on strike for more than a year, a ruling the union said Wednesday it would challenge. The National Labor Relations Board...
Cops: Girl, 12, Chewed Through
Restraints to Escape Kidnapper
Aug 3, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Cops: Girl, 12, Chewed Through Restraints to Escape Kidnapper
Police ultimately found 2 dead bodies after child was found walking alone
- Alabama police say a 12-year-old girl chewed through her restraints to escape after she was kidnapped, assaulted, drugged, and tied to bed posts for almost a week. She was found walking alone down a road south of Dadeville Monday, and the ensuing investigation ultimately led authorities to the discovery of...
Family: He Killed Our Mom.
His Execution Was 'Tragic'
Jul 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Family: He Killed Our Mom. His Execution Was 'Tragic'
Alabama executes Joe Nathan James Jr. for 1994 murder of Faith Hall
- An Alabama inmate convicted of killing his former girlfriend decades ago was executed Thursday night despite pleas from the victim's family to spare his life . Joe Nathan James Jr. received a lethal injection at a south Alabama prison after the US Supreme Court denied his request for a stay,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.