Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Iran: US Fighter Jets Came
Within 100 Meters of Plane
Jul 24, 2020 7:32 AM CDT
Iran: US Fighter Jets Came Within 100 Meters of Plane
US official says single fighter jet came no closer than 1K meters
- Several passengers aboard an Iranian jet flying from Tehran to Beirut were injured Thursday when the plane was "harassed" by US fighter jets over Syria, according to Iranian and Syrian media. Syrian state media reported that two jets, part of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State, "intercepted"...
'Gut Punch: United Is
Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Jul 8, 2020 1:14 PM CDT
'Gut Punch: United Is Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Up to 45% of US staff could be laid off
- United Airlines will send layoff warnings to 36,000 employees—nearly half its US staff—in the clearest signal yet of how deeply the pandemic is hurting the airline industry. The outlook for a recovery in air travel has dimmed in just the past two weeks with rising infection rates...
Airline Makes Huge Cuts as
It Tries to Survive the Pandemic
Jun 25, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Airline Makes Huge Cuts as It Tries to Survive the Pandemic
Qantas says it will take years to recover
- Qantas plans to cut at least 6,000 jobs and keep 15,000 more workers on extended furloughs as Australia's largest airline tries to survive the coronavirus pandemic. Qantas announced a plan Thursday to reduce costs by billions of dollars and raise fresh capital, the AP reports. The plan...
United Steps Up
Face Mask Policy
Jun 16, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
United Steps Up Face Mask Policy
Refusal to comply could result in flight ban
- If you refuse to wear a face mask on a United Airlines flight, the airline is going to refuse to let you on another one of its planes. The airline says that as of Thursday, people who ignore its mandatory mask policy will be placed on an "internal travel...
Its 'New Flying
Apr 28, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Airline Announces Its 'New Flying Etiquette'
JetBlue will now require all passengers to wear masks 'throughout their journey'
- As airlines struggle with the travel havoc wreaked by the coronavirus, one has become the first to implement a new safety measure to try to control the virus' spread. Business Insider reports that starting May 4, JetBlue will mandate its passengers don face coverings not just for their flight, but...
He Found a 'Loophole' for a
'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Mar 5, 2020 9:34 AM CST
He Found a 'Loophole' for a 'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Brussels Airlines is suing hacker who flew himself, 2 pals to New York for free
- An overseas airline has filed a lawsuit against a hacker who booked a "free" flight from Belgium to New York. The
reports that Brussels Airlines wants $22,000 in damages from the 25-year-old man after he flew himself and two buddies to the US in business class...
Passengers Stranded After
British Airline Collapses
Mar 5, 2020 12:55 AM CST
Passengers Stranded After British Airline Collapses
Flybe's network included half of UK's domestic flights outside of London
- The struggling British airline Flybe has collapsed, leaving passengers stranded and told to find their own way home. The UK Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement Thursday that financially troubled Flybe had entered administration. It said, "All Flybe flights are cancelled. Please do not go to the airport...
Plane Skids Off Runway,
Breaks Into Pieces
Feb 5, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Plane Skids Off Runway, Breaks Into Pieces
Pegasus Airlines flight was arriving at Istanbul airport; one dead, 157 hurt
- A plane skidded off the runway Wednesday as it tried to land in Istanbul, crashing into a field and breaking into pieces. Passengers had to evacuate through cracks in the smashed plane and authorities said more than 100 people were sent to the hospital with injuries, the AP reports. CNN...
Airline Backs Flight Attendant
Will.i.am Accused of Racism
Nov 20, 2019 5:05 AM CST
Airline Backs Flight Attendant Will.i.am Accused of Racism
Qantas says it was a 'misunderstanding'
- Will.i.am says he was singled out by an "overly aggressive" Qantas flight attendant because he is black. The Australian airline says it was all a "misunderstanding"—and it will support the attendant if she wants to take legal action against him. The Black Eyed Peas...
Qantas Tests 19.5-Hour Flight
Nov 15, 2019 2:48 AM CST
Qantas Tests 19.5-Hour Flight
London-Sydney flight equaled distance record airline set in 1989
- Australia’s national carrier Qantas on Friday successfully completed a 19.5-hour non-stop flight from London to Sydney, which was used to run a series of tests to assess the effects of ultra long-haul flights on crew fatigue and passenger jetlag. The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner took off from London’s...
Airport Smuggler Used
a Body Double for a Cat
Nov 13, 2019 12:57 PM CST
Airport Smuggler Used a Body Double for a Cat
And it worked, until cat owner bragged on social media
- A Russian cat owner is out hundreds of thousands of air miles—the price for smuggling his fat feline aboard a flight in an elaborate scheme using a body double. Mikhail Galin might have gotten away with the ruse had he not bragged about it after the fact on Facebook,...
Against 2 Pilots
Oct 26, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Attendant Makes Incredible Accusation Against 2 Pilots
Renee Steinaker is suing Southwest Airlines
- Flying Southwest? You might be on candid camera. A Southwest Airlines attendant claims she saw two pilots watching livestream video of the plane's lavatory during a 2017 flight,
reports. In a lawsuit, Renee Steinaker says she noticed the livestream on a cockpit iPad while the captain took...
Fliers: Flight Attendant
So Drunk We Had to
Do Her Seat Belt
Aug 9, 2019 6:29 AM CDT
Fliers: Flight Attendant So Drunk We Had to Do Her Seat Belt
Passengers say she passed out after slurring her words in security announcement
- A flight attendant was charged with criminal public intoxication after showing up for work so drunk that passengers say they had to fasten her seat belt. Passengers on the Aug. 2 United Express flight from Chicago to South Bend, which was operated by Air Wisconsin, say 49-year-old Julianne March bumped...
Somehow, This Plane
May 13, 2019 2:11 AM CDT
Somehow, This Plane Landed Safely
Passenger jet in Myanmar comes down with no front wheels
- With a less capable pilot, Flight UB103 could have been a disaster. Instead, all 89 passengers and crew escaped without injury Sunday after the Myanmar National Airlines pilot managed to land the aircraft despite a front landing gear malfunction, ABC reports. The airline says that after the front landing gear...
Keep Union Dues,
May 10, 2019 11:50 AM CDT
Delta's Suggestion: Keep Union Dues, Buy Booze, Video Games
The union isn't happy about it, calling Delta poster "insulting"
- Delta Air Lines really doesn't want its flight attendants or ramp and cargo attendants to unionize. That seems to be the reason, at any rate, behind a Delta poster that's causing a ruckus. The poster, tweeted out Thursday by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, shows...
Miami Air Offers $2.5K
to Crash Survivors
May 7, 2019 12:41 AM CDT
Miami Air Offers $2.5K to Crash Survivors
Landing feature 'inoperative' during Friday crash
- Miami Air International says it is offering a "goodwill gesture" to the 137 passengers involved in a crash at Naval Air Station Jacksonville on Friday night: a $2,500 payment, which the airline says will not affect anybody's right to sue. "We understand and appreciate the difficult...
Here Are the Main
US Airlines, Ranked
May 2, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Main US Airlines, Ranked
Alaska Airlines comes in at No. 1 overall, and it's also the safest
- While it always feels like a win to score a cheap plane ticket, price isn't the only factor that makes an airline desirable. WalletHub looked at the nine biggest domestic airlines, plus three regional carriers, examining four categories: safety; incidents involving animals; in-flight comfort and cost; and baggage, departures,...
Plane Crash Kills
One of Russia's
Apr 1, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Plane Crash Kills One of Russia's Richest Women
Natalia Fileva co-owned Siberia Airlines
- A double tragedy in Germany: Authorities say Natalia Fileva, one of Russia's richest women, died along with the pilot and another passenger when a small plane crashed into an asparagus field near Frankfurt on Sunday, the
New York Times
reports. A police car rushing to the scene then collided...
Airline to Passengers:
Sorry, We Don't Exist Anymore
Mar 28, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Airline to Passengers: Sorry, We Don't Exist Anymore
Passengers on 2 continents stranded as WOW Air abruptly folds
- It's not the kind of update passengers want to get from their airline: "WOW Air has ceased operation." The Icelandic budget airline did indeed cease operations on Thursday, stranding passengers across two continents, per the AP . In a statement on its website , the airline, which had earlier...
Flight Turns Back After
Mom Forgets Baby
in case you missed it
Mar 16, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Flight Turns Back After Mom Forgets Baby
'Can we come back or what?' pilot asked
- Flights don't tend to turn back just because a passenger left something behind in the waiting area—but it's a different story when the forgotten item is a baby. A Saudi Arabian Airlines flight from Jeddah to Kuala Lumpur had to turn around Saturday after a woman told...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.