Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Losing Cat,
Airline Calls in Psychic
Jan 12, 2023 1:52 PM CST
After Losing Cat, Airline Calls in Psychic
State-owned Bolivian airline lost passenger's beloved pet more than a month ago
- Bolivia's national airline has called in a pet psychic in the ongoing search for Tito, a cat that went missing from a flight more than a month ago. Owner Andrea Iturre says Boliviana de Aviacion—BoA—wouldn't allow her to bring a pet carrier into the cabin on...
Southwest Offers Passengers
'Goodwill Gesture' After
Jan 3, 2023 7:03 PM CST
Southwest Offers Passengers 'Goodwill Gesture' After Holiday Chaos
Those affected by delays, cancellations are being given 25K frequent flier points
- After chaos over the holidays disrupted travel for more than a million Southwest Airlines passengers, CEO Bob Jordan said "there's just no way almost to apologize enough." On Tuesday, the airline reached out with what it called a "gesture of goodwill"—25,000 frequent flyer...
Passenger Jet Turns Back
Over Pilot's Certification
May 5, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Passenger Jet Turns Back Over Pilot's Certification
Virgin Atlantic co-pilot hadn't taken his final assessment flight with the airline
- As far as reasons go for a passenger jet having to turn around midflight, it's a weird one. A Virgin Atlantic flight returned to UK's Heathrow Airport after 40 minutes because the co-pilot technically wasn't qualified to fly, reports the BBC . It may sound worse than it...
Qantas Announces Big Move
Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
May 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Qantas Announces Big Move Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
Airline will offer direct flights from Sydney to London, New York starting in 2025
- The journey from Sydney to London once took nearly 60 hours and consisted of seven stops along the way. Now, an update from Qantas on that front, via what it calls its "Project Sunrise." Australia's flagship airline announced Monday that in 2025 it will debut a nonstop...
Passengers Kicked Off Flight,
Rest of Plane Celebrates
Sep 20, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
Passengers Kicked Off Flight, Rest of Plane Celebrates
Two people were forced to deplane after refusing to mask up properly
- Masks are required in airports and on commercial airliners. It’s not just a common-sense guideline to curtail the spread of COVID, it’s a federal law . And it’s not new; the rule has been in place since February . But it still seems to come as a surprise to...
Plane Drops Off Passenger
Screaming 'Stop the Plane'
Jun 5, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Plane Drops Off Passenger Screaming 'Stop the Plane'
A Delta flight from LA to Nashville had to make an emergency landing in Alburquerque
- A Delta flight from Los Angeles to Nashville had to divert to Albuquerque, New Mexico, when a passenger rushed the cockpit. Other passengers and a flight attendant wrestled the passenger to the ground. In video posted to social media, the quick-thinking flight attendant can be heard saying, “that’s...
Airline: We'll Tell You
Where You're Going,
Just Before You Land
Mar 3, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Airline: We'll Tell You Where You're Going, Just Before You Land
Qantas resumes 'mystery flights' for Australian passengers
- Australia's flag carrier has just the thing for people desperate to get away, so long as they don't care where they're going. In the hope of boosting the beleaguered tourism industry amid international travel restrictions, Qantas is asking Australian passengers to hop aboard one of three "...
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not
Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 AM CST
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Flight out of Miami to NYC canceled after Sunday incident with Hasidic Jewish passengers
- A chaotic scene on a Frontier Airlines flight before takeoff ended with a group of Hasidic Jews being asked to leave, the entire plane eventually being emptied, and now, accusations of anti-Semitism—all over what the airline says was the group's refusal to wear face masks. The incident took...
He Asked Crew Member to
Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Sep 9, 2020 12:09 PM CDT
He Asked Crew Member to Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Allegiant Air says passenger was 'disruptive' during preflight safety briefing
- An Allegiant Air passenger was booted off a flight this week over a face mask dispute—but he wasn't the one not complying with the airline's policy. In the incident on a Monday flight from Punta Gorda, Fla., to Portsmouth, NH, the passenger reportedly told a flight attendant...
JetBlue Bans Masks With Vents
Aug 5, 2020 6:08 PM CDT
JetBlue Bans Masks With Vents
Airline says exemptions will no longer be allowed
- Face masks with valves to make breathing more comfortable defeat the whole purpose of wearing masks, experts say—and JetBlue has joined airlines banning them. The airline says that as of Aug. 10, masks with vents or exhalation valves will no longer be acceptable, and passengers will no longer be...
In This Nation, Hello Kitty 'Flight
to Nowhere' Offers an Escape
Aug 4, 2020 7:59 AM CDT
In This Nation, Hello Kitty 'Flight to Nowhere' Offers an Escape
Taiwanese citizens will be able to fly around for 3 hours with no destination on Saturday in Dream jet
- We've heard of cruises to nowhere—but a "flight to nowhere"? That's the plan behind EVA Air's latest gimmick to appeal to Taiwanese citizens who haven't been able to travel outside the country during the coronavirus pandemic. Per CNN , to celebrate Father's Day...
Iran: US Fighter Jets Came
Within 100 Meters of Plane
Jul 24, 2020 7:32 AM CDT
Iran: US Fighter Jets Came Within 100 Meters of Plane
US official says single fighter jet came no closer than 1K meters
- Several passengers aboard an Iranian jet flying from Tehran to Beirut were injured Thursday when the plane was "harassed" by US fighter jets over Syria, according to Iranian and Syrian media. Syrian state media reported that two jets, part of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State, "intercepted"...
'Gut Punch: United Is
Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Jul 8, 2020 1:14 PM CDT
'Gut Punch: United Is Sending 36K Layoff Notices
Up to 45% of US staff could be laid off
- United Airlines will send layoff warnings to 36,000 employees—nearly half its US staff—in the clearest signal yet of how deeply the pandemic is hurting the airline industry. The outlook for a recovery in air travel has dimmed in just the past two weeks with rising infection rates...
Airline Makes Huge Cuts as
It Tries to Survive the Pandemic
Jun 25, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Airline Makes Huge Cuts as It Tries to Survive the Pandemic
Qantas says it will take years to recover
- Qantas plans to cut at least 6,000 jobs and keep 15,000 more workers on extended furloughs as Australia's largest airline tries to survive the coronavirus pandemic. Qantas announced a plan Thursday to reduce costs by billions of dollars and raise fresh capital, the AP reports. The plan...
United Steps Up
Face Mask Policy
Jun 16, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
United Steps Up Face Mask Policy
Refusal to comply could result in flight ban
- If you refuse to wear a face mask on a United Airlines flight, the airline is going to refuse to let you on another one of its planes. The airline says that as of Thursday, people who ignore its mandatory mask policy will be placed on an "internal travel...
Its 'New Flying
Apr 28, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Airline Announces Its 'New Flying Etiquette'
JetBlue will now require all passengers to wear masks 'throughout their journey'
- As airlines struggle with the travel havoc wreaked by the coronavirus, one has become the first to implement a new safety measure to try to control the virus' spread. Business Insider reports that starting May 4, JetBlue will mandate its passengers don face coverings not just for their flight, but...
He Found a 'Loophole' for a
'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Mar 5, 2020 9:34 AM CST
He Found a 'Loophole' for a 'Free' Flight. Now, a Lawsuit
Brussels Airlines is suing hacker who flew himself, 2 pals to New York for free
- An overseas airline has filed a lawsuit against a hacker who booked a "free" flight from Belgium to New York. The
reports that Brussels Airlines wants $22,000 in damages from the 25-year-old man after he flew himself and two buddies to the US in business class...
Passengers Stranded After
British Airline Collapses
Mar 5, 2020 12:55 AM CST
Passengers Stranded After British Airline Collapses
Flybe's network included half of UK's domestic flights outside of London
- The struggling British airline Flybe has collapsed, leaving passengers stranded and told to find their own way home. The UK Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement Thursday that financially troubled Flybe had entered administration. It said, "All Flybe flights are cancelled. Please do not go to the airport...
Plane Skids Off Runway,
Breaks Into Pieces
Feb 5, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Plane Skids Off Runway, Breaks Into Pieces
Pegasus Airlines flight was arriving at Istanbul airport; one dead, 157 hurt
- A plane skidded off the runway Wednesday as it tried to land in Istanbul, crashing into a field and breaking into pieces. Passengers had to evacuate through cracks in the smashed plane and authorities said more than 100 people were sent to the hospital with injuries, the AP reports. CNN...
Airline Backs Flight Attendant
Will.i.am Accused of Racism
Nov 20, 2019 5:05 AM CST
Airline Backs Flight Attendant Will.i.am Accused of Racism
Qantas says it was a 'misunderstanding'
- Will.i.am says he was singled out by an "overly aggressive" Qantas flight attendant because he is black. The Australian airline says it was all a "misunderstanding"—and it will support the attendant if she wants to take legal action against him. The Black Eyed Peas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
National Prayer Breakast Splinters
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.