Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ate at Restaurant Where
2 Victims Worked
Jan 20, 2023 12:36 AM CST
Kohberger Allegedly Ate at Restaurant Where 2 Victims Worked
And he also allegedly followed 3 of the victims on Instagram
- At least two times before allegedly murdering four University of Idaho students, the suspect visited the restaurant where two of the victims worked, or so a former employee tells
. He ordered vegan pizza from the Mad Greek in Moscow, Idaho, per the source. Madison Mogen and Xana Kernodle were...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
Lawmaker Apologizes After
Likening Women to Cows
Jan 13, 2023 2:31 PM CST
Lawmaker Apologizes After Likening Women to Cows
Editorial had warned comments could make Idaho 'a laughingstock'
- A new Idaho legislator narrowly elected in November thought the first bit of wisdom he should share with a state House committee was that much can be learned about women's reproductive rights by observing milking cows. On Thursday night, hours after being called out in a newspaper editorial, Republican...
On the Same Day,
2 Big Abortion Decisions
Jan 6, 2023 1:10 AM CST
On the Same Day, 2 Big Abortion Decisions
In South Carolina, a win for abortion rights supporters; in Idaho, a loss
- The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after six weeks, ruling the restriction enacted by the Deep South state violates a state constitutional right to privacy, the AP reports. The decision marked a significant victory for abortion rights' advocates suddenly forced to find safeguards...
Assistant DA Has Theory on
Kohberger Waiving Extradition
Jan 4, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Assistant DA Has Theory on Kohberger Waiving Extradition
He thinks Bryan Kohberger wants to know what's in court documents
- The man accused of killing four University of Idaho students in November is being moved from Pennsylvania to Idaho to face first-degree murder and burglary charges. The AP reports officials on Wednesday morning confirmed Bryan Kohberger left a Pennsylvania jail in state police custody, though precise details of his transfer...
Car Led Investigators
to Idaho Slayings Suspect
Dec 30, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Car Led Investigators to Idaho Slayings Suspect
Knife used to kill four college students has not been found yet, police say
- Law enforcement officials said Friday that investigators of the slayings of four University of Idaho students began concentrating on Bryan Kohberger after connecting him to a Hyundai Elantra spotted in the area at the time of the killings. Once they learned he had left Idaho for Pennsylvania, an FBI team...
Suspect Arrested in Murder
of 4 Idaho Students
Dec 30, 2022 1:49 PM CST
Suspect Arrested in Murder of 4 Idaho Students
28-year-old is in custody in Pennsylvania
This summary has been updated with new information.
Police have made an arrest in the slaying of four University of Idaho students , reports the AP and CNN . Arrest paperwork filed by Pennsylvania State Police said Bryan Christopher Kohberger, 28, was being held for extradition based on an arrest warrant for...
Florida Is Growing
Faster Than Any State
Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Florida Is Growing Faster Than Any State
Census Bureau puts Florida back on top in yearly population growth, pushing out Idaho
- Florida has supplanted Idaho as the nation's fastest-growing state, after a 1.9% population increase in the past year. The Census Bureau report restores Florida to the top spot for the first time since 1957, after being blocked for decades mostly by Nevada, Politico reports. Florida's population now...
Another Dead-End in
Idaho Murder Investigation
Dec 21, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Another Dead-End in Idaho Murder Investigation
Hyundai Elantra found in Eugene, Oregon, is not related to slayings of 4 students
- The Hyundai Elantra found abandoned in Oregon is not related to the baffling murders of four University of Idaho students last month, police say. "The vehicle was involved in a collision and subsequently impounded. The vehicle is registered out of Colorado and the female owner is not believed to...
Clue Cited in Idaho Slayings
Spurs Avalanche of Tips: Cops
Dec 9, 2022 11:03 AM CST
Clue Cited in Idaho Slayings Spurs Avalanche of Tips: Cops
'Overwhelming' number of tips have come in regarding white car spotted near students' home
- A car seen near the off-campus home where four University of Idaho students were slain last month is the latest possible clue in the case, and it's one that has spurred what CNN reports is an "overwhelming" number of tips. On Wednesday, the Moscow Police Department noted that...
Idaho Police Seek
'Puzzle Pieces' in
Dec 6, 2022 6:08 PM CST
Idaho Police Seek 'Puzzle Pieces' in Quadruple Murder
They want to know more about movements of Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle
- More than three weeks after the murders of four University of Idaho students, no arrests have been made and police are still trying to fill in pieces of the puzzle. Idaho State Police spokesman Aaron Snell tells ABC that the movements of Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle on the night...
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on
Murder of Idaho Students
Dec 1, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
Police say they're not sure if University of Idaho classmates were targeted
- The four University of Idaho students murdered Nov. 13 might not have been targeted after all, according to the Moscow Police Department. The Latah County Prosecutor's Office recently said one or more attackers "specifically looked at this [off-campus] residence" and "one or more of the occupants were...
Idaho Cops: Surviving
Roommates May Be
'Key' in College Murders
Nov 18, 2022 1:39 PM CST
Idaho Cops: Surviving Roommates May Be 'Key' in College Murders
Xana Kernodle had 'bruises' from fighting back, dad says; loved ones of other victims also speak
- "It doesn't make sense." Those are the words of Jeffrey Kernodle, father of Xana Kernodle, one of the four University of Idaho students slain last weekend in their off-campus home in the small town of Moscow, which hasn't seen a murder since 2015, per CBS 5...
Looking for Friends.
Now, a Neighbor Arrested
Nov 16, 2022 3:05 AM CST
He Vanished Looking for Friends. Now, a Neighbor Arrested
Michael Vaughan disappeared in July 2021
- On July 27, 2021, Michael Vaughan, who had recently turned 5, slipped out of his house in Fruitland, Idaho, and started knocking on neighbors' doors, looking for older neighborhood kids to play with, his mom says. Now, a neighbor the family does not know has been arrested in his disappearance....
He Was Obsessed With a 1984
Crime. Now He's Guilty Of It
Nov 1, 2022 1:41 PM CDT
He Was Obsessed With a 1984 Crime. Now He's Guilty Of It
Steven Pankey convicted of felony murder in 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews' death
Steve Pankey was on Monday found guilty of second-degree kidnapping and felony murder in the case of a 12-year-old Colorado girl killed in 1984. He was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 20 years. The
reports Jonelle Matthews' father spoke prior to sentencing and implored...
Cat Who Vanished
9 Years Ago
Turns Up 1K Miles
Oct 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cat Who Vanished 9 Years Ago Turns Up 1K Miles From Home
Calif. owner has no idea how Harriet ended up in Idaho
- A cat who disappeared from her California home nine years ago has been found, but no one has a clue what she's been doing for nearly a decade, nor how she ended up wandering the streets of a small Idaho city more than 1,000 miles away. The
Idaho's Abortion Ban
Has Ripple Effect
on Birth Control
Sep 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Idaho's Abortion Ban Has Ripple Effect on Birth Control
University of Idaho might have to stop providing contraception
- Idaho's near-total abortion ban could have consequences beyond abortion: In new guidance regarding the ban issued Friday, the University of Idaho's general counsel said the school should no longer make birth control available to students. The law's language is "unclear and untested," the message says,...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
of Raping 19-Year-Old
Intern Gets 20 Years
Sep 1, 2022 12:48 AM CDT
Lawmaker Convicted of Raping 19-Year-Old Intern Gets 20 Years
Aaron von Ehlinger won't be eligible for parole for at least 8 years
The former Idaho lawmaker convicted of raping a 19-year-old legislative intern has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the crime, the AP reports. Aaron von Ehlinger must serve at least eight years before he will be eligible for parole, 4th District Judge Michael Reardon said during the...
Idaho Blocked From
Enforcing Abortion Ban
in Medical Emergencies
Aug 25, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Idaho Blocked From Enforcing Abortion Ban in Medical Emergencies
Judge has concerns that would violate federal law on emergency care
- A federal judge in Idaho has barred the state from enforcing a strict abortion ban in medical emergencies over concerns that it violates a federal law on emergency care, the AP reports. The ruling Wednesday evening came after a federal judge this week in Texas made the opposite call, barring...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.