Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Taylor Swift's Reign Continues: She's Time's Person of the Year
Stories 21 - 40 |
Display Painful Divide
Jun 25, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Abortion Rallies Display Painful Divide
Clinics cancel appointments as patients try to rebook in other states
- Thousands of people protesting the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe v. Wade returned to the streets of dozens of cities on Saturday. Smaller crowds turned out in many places to celebrate the ruling, CNN reports, and the two sides sometimes got in each other's faces to argue the...
Roe Opponent Has
Jun 24, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Roe Opponent Has Prayers Answered
Tanya Britton has worked for decades to overturn 1973 abortion ruling
- There is a prayer Tanya Britton has said in the hazy first moments of morning and in the stillness of the night. The words have morphed, but one way or another, they've been repeated, decade after decade. "Whatever I do, let it be for the end of abortion,...
Study Explored What Happens
When Abortions Are Denied
May 16, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Study Explored What Happens When Abortions Are Denied
Among other things, women tended to end up in tougher financial straits, according to Turnaway Study
- In a 2007 abortion case, then-Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote: “While we find no reliable data to measure the phenomenon, it seems unexceptionable to conclude some women come to regret their choice. … Severe depression and loss of esteem can follow.” Per NPR, those words caught demographer Diana Greene...
'Bans Off our Bodies'
Events Draw Thousands
May 14, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
'Bans Off our Bodies' Events Draw Thousands
Abortion rights activists stress the need for quick action
- Abortion rights supporters demonstrating at hundreds of marches and rallies Saturday expressed their outrage that the US Supreme Court will soon scrap the constitutional right to abortion that has endured for nearly a half-century and their fear about what that could mean for women's reproductive choices. Incensed after a...
After Protests at Judges'
Homes, Biden Speaks Out
May 9, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
After Protests at Judges' Homes, Biden Speaks Out
They 'must be able to do their jobs without concern for their personal safety'
- President Biden on Monday expressed his support for judges after protesters converged on the private homes of two Supreme Court justices in the DC area over the weekend. "Judges perform an incredibly important function in our society, and they must be able to do their jobs without concern for...
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
Antiabortion Groups Prepare
Push for Nationwide Ban
May 2, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Antiabortion Groups Prepare Push for Nationwide Ban
Upcoming SCOTUS ruling is expected to weaken or overturn Roe v. Wade
- With the Supreme Court widely expect to weaken or outright overturn Roe v. Wade in an upcoming decision, antiabortion activists who have long called for the issue to be left up to the states are now pushing for a nationwide law. Activists and some GOP lawmakers tell the
Across US, Women
March for Abortion Rights
Oct 2, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Across US, Women March for Abortion Rights
Demonstrators take their message to the Supreme Court
- The first Women's March of the Biden administration headed straight for the steps of the Supreme Court on Saturday, part of nationwide protests demanding continued access to abortion in a year when lawmakers and judges have put it in jeopardy. Thousands filled the streets surrounding the court, shouting "...
TikTokers Target Texas
Abortion Whistleblower Site
Sep 3, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
TikTokers Target Texas Abortion Whistleblower Site
'Shrek porn' has been weaponized
- The most restrictive abortion law in the nation took effect in Texas Wednesday—and opponents have stepped up efforts to troll a site that encourages people to report violations. The site, prolifewhistleblower.com, has a form that allows people to anonymously report alleged violators, who can be sued for $10,...
Roe v. Wade
Jul 23, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Mississippi to Supreme Court: Overturn Roe v. Wade
A decision in big abortion rights case could come by June
- The Mississippi attorney general on Thursday asked the US Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, a challenge to the 1973 law that's been expected since May , when the high court agreed to hear a case involving a Mississippi law banning most abortions after 15 weeks. Lower courts blocked...
Bishops Ignore Vatican
on Communion for Biden
Jun 18, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Bishops Ignore Vatican on Communion for Biden
They're drafting a statement to back denying him the sacrament over his abortion stance
- US bishops are moving against the nation's second Roman Catholic president, voting to draft a document in support of denying President Biden the sacrament of Communion because he supports abortion rights. The bishops announced Friday that they debated in a virtual meeting this month before voting to start work...
New Case Could Pose
Threat to Roe v. Wade
May 17, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
New Case Could Pose Threat to Roe v. Wade
Supreme Court will tackle Mississippi law that would ban abortions after 15 weeks
- The Supreme Court caused people on both sides of the abortion debate to take notice on Monday—the justices decided to hear a case later this year that is seen as a major challenge to Roe v. Wade. The details:
Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization is
Brazil Activists Target
10-Year-Old Rape Victim
Aug 18, 2020 3:54 PM CDT
Brazil Activists Target 10-Year-Old Rape Victim
She had to be smuggled into hospital for abortion
- A 10-year-old girl in Brazil who didn't want to have her rapist's baby had to fly to a city 900 miles away to have an abortion—and she still had to be smuggled into the hospital. A group of right-wing protesters and politicians gathered outside the Recife hospital...
Victory for Abortion Rights
Might Be Short-Lived
Jun 29, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
Victory for Abortion Rights Might Be Short-Lived
Analyses point out that John Roberts had a very narrow rationale in Louisiana case
- On the surface, Monday's Supreme Court decision on abortion seems like a major victory for the pro-choice movement, especially with John Roberts siding with the court's four more liberal members. The 5-4 decision struck down a strict Louisiana law regarding doctors' admitting privileges that would have effectively shut...
John Roberts Joins Liberals
in Big Abortion Ruling
Jun 29, 2020 9:27 AM CDT
John Roberts Joins Liberals in Big Abortion Ruling
Supreme Court strikes down restrictive law in Louisiana
- The Supreme Court on Monday struck down a Louisiana law regulating abortion clinics, reasserting a commitment to abortion rights over fierce opposition from dissenting conservative justices in the first big abortion case of the Trump era, per the AP . Chief Justice John Roberts joined with his four more liberal colleagues...
Schumer: I Shouldn't
Have Used Those Words
Mar 5, 2020 12:02 PM CST
Schumer: I Shouldn't Have Used Those Words
He clarifies criticism of court justices after rebuke from John Roberts
- Chuck Schumer isn't exactly apologizing, but he did acknowledge he used the wrong words in his strong speech about certain Supreme Court justices Wednesday. Schumer was hit with backlash from Republicans and a rare rebuke from the chief justice after saying that Trump-appointed justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch...
Trump Will Be
at March for Life
Jan 23, 2020 6:19 AM CST
Trump Will Be First President at March for Life
It's the 47th year the march has taken place
- In one of his record-breaking 142 tweets on Wednesday, President Trump announced that he will be attending this year's anti-abortion "March for Life" on Jan. 24. "See you on Friday...Big Crowd!" he tweeted , sharing a tweet from organizers. Trump will be the first president to...
Republicans Slam Rep. King's
'Bizarre' Rape Remarks
Aug 15, 2019 3:31 AM CDT
Republicans Slam Rep. King's 'Bizarre' Rape Remarks
Iowa Republican defends abortion ban
- Rep. Steve King's latest remarks are being called "offensive," "appalling," and "bizarre"—and that's from his fellow Republicans. The Iowa lawmaker, speaking to the Westside Conservative Club in Urbandale Wednesday, argued that most of the world's population is the product of...
Planned Parenthood in St. Louis
Stays Open During Court Fight
Jun 10, 2019 6:40 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood in St. Louis Stays Open During Court Fight
Judge's order protects clinic while license battle continues
- A judge in St. Louis has issued another order allowing Missouri's only clinic that provides abortion services to continue operating, the AP reports. Circuit Judge Michael Stelzer on Monday granted Planned Parenthood's request for a preliminary injunction, which extends his temporary restraining order prohibiting Missouri from allowing the...
Democratic Governor Signs
Louisiana Abortion Legislation
May 30, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
Democratic Governor Signs Louisiana Abortion Legislation
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, signed the state's new legislation restricting abortion into law Thursday. The measure prohibits abortion when a fetal heartbeat is detected, as early as six weeks of pregnancy, and allows no exceptions, per the AP . The state's three clinics that perform abortions...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Magazine Devotes Issue to Trump 'Danger' Warnings
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.