Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Michigan Supreme Court Puts
Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Sep 8, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Michigan Supreme Court Puts Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Elections board had deadlocked along party lines
- Voters will decide whether to place abortion rights in the Michigan Constitution, the state Supreme Court declared Thursday, settling the issue a day before the fall ballot must be completed. Abortion rights would be guaranteed if the amendment passes on Nov. 8. A 1931 state law makes it a crime...
Aug 30, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Sarcastic Diversity Tweet Causes a Ruckus
Blake Masters in Arizona declares US is done with Biden's 'affirmative action regime'
- The conservative Senate candidate looking to unseat Democrat Mark Kelly in Arizona is making all kinds of headlines this week in the close, and closely watched, race:
Over the weekend, Blake Masters fired off a sarcastic tweet about an AP story that detailed how diverse the Federal Reserve's
Kansas Abortion Opponents
Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Aug 16, 2022 6:14 AM CDT
Kansas Abortion Opponents Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Statewide measure passed by 18 percentage points, but they're going to get partial recount
Kansas will indeed carry out a partial hand recount that won't change the outcome of this month's decisive vote in favor of abortion rights after abortion opponents charged almost $120,000 to credit cards Monday to cover the cost, reports the AP . The Kansas secretary of state'...
Vote Suggests Strong Support
for Abortion Rights Nationwide
Aug 4, 2022 11:33 AM CDT
Vote Suggests Strong Support for Abortion Rights Nationwide
'NYT' analysis says Kansas vote likely would have gone the same way in all but 7 states
- Most analysts expected a narrow victory at best for abortion rights supporters in a vote in Kansas on Tuesday. Instead, they had an overwhelming win in the conservative state, which has energized the movement and upended predictions about this year's midterm elections. A ballot measure that would have removed...
Jul 24, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
'Nobody Wants to Impregnate You': Gaetz
Republican lawmaker mocks appearance of abortion rights supporters to student convention
- Appearing before a Florida convention of young people, Rep. Matt Gaetz said Saturday that women demonstrating for access to legal abortions are too unattractive to become pregnant. "Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?" Gaetz...
Texas Sues US
Over Abortion Rule
Jul 14, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Texas Sues US Over Abortion Rule
Lawsuit would block requirement that doctors provide access in emergencies
- Three days after the federal government told doctors and hospitals they're still required to provide abortions when a patient's health is at risk—regardless of state laws or US Supreme Court rulings—Texas has sued the administration. Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra told health care providers...
Roe Will Give
Jun 27, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Josh Hawley: Roe Will Give GOP More Electoral Strength
Senator says Democrats will head for blue states
Roe v. Wade
overturned, social media has been flooded with posts by pro-choice US residents considering a move to another state. According to Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, that's exactly what the GOP needs to happen. His prediction: "More and more red states are going to...
Display Painful Divide
Jun 25, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Abortion Rallies Display Painful Divide
Clinics cancel appointments as patients try to rebook in other states
- Thousands of people protesting the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe v. Wade returned to the streets of dozens of cities on Saturday. Smaller crowds turned out in many places to celebrate the ruling, CNN reports, and the two sides sometimes got in each other's faces to argue the...
Roe Opponent Has
Jun 24, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Roe Opponent Has Prayers Answered
Tanya Britton has worked for decades to overturn 1973 abortion ruling
- There is a prayer Tanya Britton has said in the hazy first moments of morning and in the stillness of the night. The words have morphed, but one way or another, they've been repeated, decade after decade. "Whatever I do, let it be for the end of abortion,...
Study Explored What Happens
When Abortions Are Denied
May 16, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Study Explored What Happens When Abortions Are Denied
Among other things, women tended to end up in tougher financial straits, according to Turnaway Study
- In a 2007 abortion case, then-Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote: “While we find no reliable data to measure the phenomenon, it seems unexceptionable to conclude some women come to regret their choice. … Severe depression and loss of esteem can follow.” Per NPR, those words caught demographer Diana Greene...
'Bans Off our Bodies'
Events Draw Thousands
May 14, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
'Bans Off our Bodies' Events Draw Thousands
Abortion rights activists stress the need for quick action
- Abortion rights supporters demonstrating at hundreds of marches and rallies Saturday expressed their outrage that the US Supreme Court will soon scrap the constitutional right to abortion that has endured for nearly a half-century and their fear about what that could mean for women's reproductive choices. Incensed after a...
After Protests at Judges'
Homes, Biden Speaks Out
May 9, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
After Protests at Judges' Homes, Biden Speaks Out
They 'must be able to do their jobs without concern for their personal safety'
- President Biden on Monday expressed his support for judges after protesters converged on the private homes of two Supreme Court justices in the DC area over the weekend. "Judges perform an incredibly important function in our society, and they must be able to do their jobs without concern for...
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
Antiabortion Groups Prepare
Push for Nationwide Ban
May 2, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Antiabortion Groups Prepare Push for Nationwide Ban
Upcoming SCOTUS ruling is expected to weaken or overturn Roe v. Wade
- With the Supreme Court widely expect to weaken or outright overturn Roe v. Wade in an upcoming decision, antiabortion activists who have long called for the issue to be left up to the states are now pushing for a nationwide law. Activists and some GOP lawmakers tell the
Across US, Women
March for Abortion Rights
Oct 2, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Across US, Women March for Abortion Rights
Demonstrators take their message to the Supreme Court
- The first Women's March of the Biden administration headed straight for the steps of the Supreme Court on Saturday, part of nationwide protests demanding continued access to abortion in a year when lawmakers and judges have put it in jeopardy. Thousands filled the streets surrounding the court, shouting "...
TikTokers Target Texas
Abortion Whistleblower Site
Sep 3, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
TikTokers Target Texas Abortion Whistleblower Site
'Shrek porn' has been weaponized
- The most restrictive abortion law in the nation took effect in Texas Wednesday—and opponents have stepped up efforts to troll a site that encourages people to report violations. The site, prolifewhistleblower.com, has a form that allows people to anonymously report alleged violators, who can be sued for $10,...
Roe v. Wade
Jul 23, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Mississippi to Supreme Court: Overturn Roe v. Wade
A decision in big abortion rights case could come by June
- The Mississippi attorney general on Thursday asked the US Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, a challenge to the 1973 law that's been expected since May , when the high court agreed to hear a case involving a Mississippi law banning most abortions after 15 weeks. Lower courts blocked...
Bishops Ignore Vatican
on Communion for Biden
Jun 18, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Bishops Ignore Vatican on Communion for Biden
They're drafting a statement to back denying him the sacrament over his abortion stance
- US bishops are moving against the nation's second Roman Catholic president, voting to draft a document in support of denying President Biden the sacrament of Communion because he supports abortion rights. The bishops announced Friday that they debated in a virtual meeting this month before voting to start work...
New Case Could Pose
Threat to Roe v. Wade
May 17, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
New Case Could Pose Threat to Roe v. Wade
Supreme Court will tackle Mississippi law that would ban abortions after 15 weeks
- The Supreme Court caused people on both sides of the abortion debate to take notice on Monday—the justices decided to hear a case later this year that is seen as a major challenge to Roe v. Wade. The details:
Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization is
Brazil Activists Target
10-Year-Old Rape Victim
Aug 18, 2020 3:54 PM CDT
Brazil Activists Target 10-Year-Old Rape Victim
She had to be smuggled into hospital for abortion
- A 10-year-old girl in Brazil who didn't want to have her rapist's baby had to fly to a city 900 miles away to have an abortion—and she still had to be smuggled into the hospital. A group of right-wing protesters and politicians gathered outside the Recife hospital...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.