Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
From strange crimes to strange celebrity deaths, read all of the latest weird and strange stuff news stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped
a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
Feb 3, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
Woman who'd been declared dead at Iowa continuing care facility was actually still alive
- At least four people who were sure a woman with early-onset dementia at a continuing care home in Iowa had passed away didn't get it right, and the facility is now facing a hefty fine. ABC News reports on the incident out of Urbandale, where the 66-year-old in hospice...
Woman's Close Encounter With
Boulder Has Hearts Pounding
Feb 1, 2023 11:25 AM CST
Woman's Close Encounter With Boulder Has Hearts Pounding
Giant rock came crashing through her Oahu home, narrowly missing her
- A woman on the Hawaiian island of Oahu got a most terrifying welcome to her new home. Caroline Sasaki was walking into the living room over the weekend when a huge crash shocked her and her family members: A 5-by-5-foot boulder had barreled down a hill and right through the...
Bird Charity's Account Frozen
After Tweet About Woodcock
Feb 1, 2023 10:04 AM CST
Bird Charity's Account Frozen After Tweet About Woodcock
It took 8 days to get back in
- Researchers noted a rise in "hate speech, antisemitic posts, and other troubling content" in the wake of Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter—and yet those seemingly loosened posting parameters were apparently still too tough for the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO). Yes, that's a bird conservation charity,...
Cars Drive Around Barriers,
Get Stuck in California Sinkhole
Feb 1, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Cars Drive Around Barriers, Get Stuck in California Sinkhole
CHP 'at a loss for words'
- Drivers who ignored road closure signs in a California town ended up caught in a sinkhole, and authorities sound pretty flabbergasted with the situation. "There are concrete rails across the roadway. It takes a little bit of effort to maneuver around it to get past it," explains a...
Jan 31, 2023 4:06 PM CST
Assistant Coach Fired After Impersonating Player, 13
'I was just shocked,' says the girl's father in Portsmouth, Virginia
- An assistant coach for a JV girls' basketball team in Virginia is now a
assistant coach after displaying some seriously odd judgment. Arlisha Boykins, 22, pretended to be a 13-year-old and played in a game for Churchland High School in Portsmouth, Virginia, reports WAVY 10 . (See video here .)...
Firefighters Leave Stove On,
Learn Important Lesson
Jan 31, 2023 3:18 PM CST
Firefighters Leave Stove On, Learn Important Lesson
They return to a kitchen fire at their station in Georgia
- In their defense, the firefighters were in a hurry to leave. So much so, that nobody in the station remembered to turn off the stove when they left to fight a house fire in Hall County, Georgia, reports the
. When a separate fire crew that had been out...
This City's Self-Driving Cars Are
Causing Oodles of 911 Calls
Jan 31, 2023 1:55 PM CST
This City's Self-Driving Cars Are Causing Oodles of 911 Calls
San Francisco logged nearly 100 emergency calls about autonomous cars in second half of 2022
- Traffic in San Francisco was, well, weird during the last half of 2022, and fingers are being pointed at the city's autonomous vehicles. Per a Wednesday letter from the San Francisco County Transportation Authority to the California Public Utilities Commission, there were a whole lot of 911 calls (92,...
Bizarre 'Whirlpool' Appears
in Hawaii's Night Sky
Jan 31, 2023 8:55 AM CST
Bizarre 'Whirlpool' Appears in Hawaii's Night Sky
Strange sight apparently caused by launch of a SpaceX rocket
- A telescope in Hawaii captured the strangest of sights: an unearthly-looking whirlpool of light spinning in the night sky. (See for yourself in this video .) Alas, Live Science quickly obliterates the magical mystery: "It turns out the stunning spiral was comprised of frozen rocket fuel that was ejected...
Boy Playing in
Ends Up in
Jan 31, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Boy Playing in Shipping Container Ends Up in Another Country
He entered container in Bangladesh, exited in Malaysia 6 days later
- A 15-year-old boy apparently playing hide and seek entered a shipping container in Bangladesh ... and didn't exit until six days later, when the container had been transported to Malaysia. That's 1,600 nautical miles, or more than 1,840 miles, according to maritime tracking site FleetMon . The Malaysian...
Japanese Vending Machines
Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Jan 30, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Japanese Vending Machines Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Conservationists are worried about the development
- A Japanese whaling operator, after struggling for years to promote its products amid protests from conservationists, has found a new way to cultivate clientele and bolster sales: whale meat vending machines. The Kujira (Whale) Store, an unmanned outlet that recently opened in the port town of Yokohama near Tokyo, houses...
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach'
Promotion Is Back for V-Day
Jan 30, 2023 8:47 AM CST
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach' Promotion Is Back for V-Day
To, er, celebrate Valentine's Day, San Antonio Zoo will feed a roach named after your ex to an animal
- If you're not especially looking forward to Feb. 14 due to a recent breakup, one Texas venue has a promotion that could help mitigate the pain with a little old fashioned spite. The San Antonio Zoo is once again hosting its "Cry Me a Cockroach" fundraiser , with all...
Life Hell for a
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2023 11:20 AM CST
This Turkey Is Making Life Hell for a Minnesota Town
Residents, including kids, now walk around with makeshift weapons to fend off 'terrorizing' bird
- The Minnesota town of Coon Rapids is known for its dozens of scenic parks,
-recognized golf club, and renowned Mercy Hospital. Now, it's got a new claim to fame: a most troublesome wild turkey that's been menacing residents of a mobile home park for more than a...
Uber Eats Delivery Guy
Interrupts College Game
Jan 26, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Uber Eats Delivery Guy Interrupts College Game
Somebody ordered McDonald's at Duquesne's game
- The refs had to briefly stop the Duquesne-Loyola college basketball game Wednesday night for the weirdest of reasons: A wayward Uber Eats delivery person started wandering onto the court, reports the
. Watch the moment here . The unidentified man looked a little lost while carrying a bag of food...
Mansion That Was
Basically Destroyed in
Blaze Sells in 4 Days
Jan 25, 2023 1:27 AM CST
Mansion That Was Basically Destroyed in Blaze Sells in 4 Days
Tennessee home had previously sold for $10M
- A Zillow listing for a $1.49 million mansion in Nashville, Tennessee, didn't shy away from the home's history: Photos on the real estate site show the residence going up in flames. Even so, it was on the market just four days before it sold, the BBC reports....
High School Is Unable
to Shut Its Lights Off
Jan 19, 2023 11:23 AM CST
High School Is Unable to Shut Its Lights Off
They've been on for more than a year at Minnechaug school in Massachusetts
- NBC News reports on an unusual problem at a high school in Massachusetts: Nobody can turn the lights off. As a result, every light at Minnechaug Regional High School has been burning around the clock since August 2021. The problem is a software failure. The school had a 7,...
Jan 18, 2023 5:21 AM CST
BBC Broadcast Interrupted by 'Sexual Noises'
Network apologizes after moaning could be heard during live soccer broadcast
- "Sexual noises" interrupted live BBC television coverage of a soccer competition in what the presenter later referred to as an "amusing" form of "sabotage." The BBC apologized after the incident, which took place as Gary Lineker was covering the FA Cup and moaning could be heard...
Is a Hit on TikTok
Jan 17, 2023 12:03 PM CST
Husband-Calling Contest Is a Hit on TikTok
It's a real thing at the Iowa State Fair
- An odd video of a husband-calling contest is going viral on TikTok, with one common question: Is it real? The answer is yes, reports the
Des Moines Register
. The clip actually dates back to 2017 from the Iowa State Fair, and it shows a group of women going up to...
Accountant Holds One
of the Weirdest World Records
Jan 16, 2023 11:13 AM CST
Accountant Holds One of the Weirdest World Records
Italy's Michele Santelia has typed 81 books backward
- An Italian accountant has become famous in a small-scale way for the books he types. To be clear, Michele Santelia is not the author of these books. He retypes the works of others, usually famous works in history. But as Lit Hub notes, it's the way he does so...
Brewery's 'Willy Wonka'
Contest Costs CEO Big-Time
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Brewery's 'Willy Wonka' Contest Costs CEO Big-Time
James Watt made three ill-advised tweets
- A Scottish brewery dreamed up a Willy Wonka-style competition in late 2020, and it ended up costing it big-time, or so wrote CEO James Watt on LinkedIn over the weekend. He explained that Brewdog turned to a goldsmith to craft 50 cans made from 24-carat gold, which were to be...
Unusual STD Case Takes
a Turn in Geico's Favor
Jan 12, 2023 2:45 PM CST
Unusual STD Case Takes a Turn in Geico's Favor
For now, ruling that insurer owes woman $5.2M is overturned
- Geico is at least temporarily off the hook in a bizarre case involving an STD. A woman in Missouri sued the company after she contracted HPV, human papillomavirus, in the car of a man who was insured by the company. This week, the Missouri Supreme Court overturned a lower court'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.