Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
From strange crimes to strange celebrity deaths, read all of the latest weird and strange stuff news stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Do You Love to Nap? This
Company Wants to Hire You
Aug 9, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
Do You Love to Nap? This Company Wants to Hire You
If you're hired, mattress company Casper will pay you to sleep
- Could a bulldozer ram into your home and you wouldn't wake up from a deep slumber? There might be a gig tailor-made just for you. Although you'd usually get a reprimand or worse for falling asleep at work, online mattress company Casper wants you to do just that,...
DUIs on Golf Carts and
Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Aug 4, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
DUIs on Golf Carts and Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Recent arrests occurred along state's busiest interstate, at Walmart
- A woman with an open bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey in a bag was arrested for driving a golf cart on Florida's busiest interstate while drunk, according to an arrest report. The 58-year-old woman was arrested Saturday night on the shoulder of Interstate 95. She's now facing...
Here's a Sweet Job Ad Even
Willy Wonka Couldn't Ignore
Aug 3, 2022 12:36 PM CDT
Here's a Sweet Job Ad Even Willy Wonka Couldn't Ignore
Canadian confectionary company offers $78K gig eating candy at home all day
- Looking to completely upend your career and start something new? As long as you don't already sit around on your couch all day devouring candy for close to 80 grand a year, we've got just the sweet gig for you. CNBC reports on the unusual LinkedIn job listing...
Police Say a Man Shot Woman
in the Neck—and It Killed Him
Aug 1, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Police Say a Man Shot Woman in the Neck—and It Killed Him
Dallas police believe the bullet exited her neck, hit the suspect
- A possible Darwin Awards contender out of Texas: Dallas police say a 26-year-old man died Saturday after shooting a woman in the neck—with said bullet exiting her neck and somehow striking him the leg. His was a fatal wound. Much of the details of the incident, which police say...
Shark Researchers Make
Odd Find Off Belize
in case you missed it
Jul 30, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Shark Researchers Make Odd Find Off Belize
Little is known about Greenland sharks, but nobody expected to find one in the Caribbean
- With an estimated lifespan of up to 500 years, Greenland sharks are considered the longest-living vertebrates on Earth. They are native to frigid Arctic waters, where they like to feed on polar bear carcasses. But at least one has also ventured to the western Caribbean, and it surprised a boatload...
Polish Institute Labels Cats
'Invasive Alien Species'
Jul 26, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Polish Institute Labels Cats 'Invasive Alien Species'
Biologist Wojciech Solarz defends move spurred by bird deaths
- A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife. Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive. Wojciech Solarz, a biologist...
Chess Robot Breaks Finger
of 7-Year-Old Opponent
Jul 25, 2022 7:23 AM CDT
Chess Robot Breaks Finger of 7-Year-Old Opponent
'This is, of course, bad,' says head of Moscow Chess Federation
- It might be a first in the annals of chess: After one player makes a move his opponent doesn't like, the opponent breaks his finger. As the
reports, it actually happened last week at the Moscow Open, under unusual circumstances: One player was a robot, the other a...
Sailfish Sends Woman
to the Hospital in Florida
Jul 24, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
Sailfish Sends Woman to the Hospital in Florida
70-year-old is stabbed by the bill of the fish as it was being reeled in
- A 70-year-old woman was stabbed by the bill of a 100-pound sailfish that leapt out of the water as her companions were trying to reel it in on a boat near the Florida coast, authorities said. The sailfish stabbed the woman from Arnold, Maryland, in the groin area with its...
Pot Plant's Blinds Won't Close,
Creating 'Sunset on Steroids'
Jul 22, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Pot Plant's Blinds Won't Close, Creating 'Sunset on Steroids'
Sky turned an eerie pink over Aussie city of Mildura, leading to rumors of solar flare, aliens, apocalypse
- No, there's not a Kenny Rogers Roasters opening in Mildura, though that was one suggestion this week as to why there's been a strange pink glow hovering over the Australian city. Locals had been worriedly musing over the origin of the colorful but mysterious light, which made its...
Dozens of Cows
Block Florida Turnpike
Jul 19, 2022 2:32 AM CDT
Dozens of Cows Block Florida Turnpike
Cattle hauler caught fire and driver released them
- Traffic on Florida’s Turnpike stopped moooooving for several hours Monday after a cattle hauler caught fire, and dozens of cows blocked the roadway, authorities said. The hauler's semi-cab began to catch fire shortly before noon near St. Cloud, south of Orlando, according to a Florida Highway Patrol news...
Key to Cracking
Jul 17, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Key to Cracking Burglary Case: Two Squashed Mosquitoes
Police in China make a DNA match in blood analysis
- Police in China say two mosquitoes helped them crack a burglary case in Fujian province. As the
South China Morning Post
explains, authorities in Fuzhou spotted two squashed mosquitoes on the wall of an apartment that had been burglarized. They tested the blood and found a DNA match for a...
Has Eerie Timing
Jul 15, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Meteorologist Has Eerie Timing With Warning
Lights go out as KRTK's Travis Herzog warns of power shortages in Texas
- Few meteorological forecasts end up being as spot on as the one Travis Herzog delivered this week for KTRK in Houston. On Wednesday, Herzog was warning viewers about excessive heat and how it could lead to power shortages when, yes, the power went out in the studio. When you "...
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles
Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
Jul 13, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
MSCHF artists collective has ice cream trucks in NYC, LA with the billionaire-shaped treats
- If you're in New York City or Los Angeles on Wednesday and want to work out your angst against capitalism, there's a frozen treat waiting for you, modeled after the world's richest men. Just stop by what's being deemed a "unique art pop-up" by CBS...
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be
Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
in case you missed it
Jul 10, 2022 6:32 AM CDT
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Estranged son wrote obit for Lawrence H. Pfaff Sr.
- Gannett owns the
, and it put out an unusual statement about an unusual obituary: "We regrettably published an obituary that did not adhere to our guidelines and we are looking into the matter further. We regret any distress this may have caused." The obit , which ran...
Someone Just Paid $16K
for This 'Vampire-Slaying Kit'
Jul 8, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Someone Just Paid $16K for This 'Vampire-Slaying Kit'
Wooden box from late 1800s contained all kinds of repellents against the blood-sucking undead
- Someone apparently didn't think the crucifixes and holy water they had lying around were enough to contend with the undead—and so last week they paid nearly $16,000 for a late-1800s "vampire-slaying kit" up for sale at a UK auction house, reports Live Science . The sturdy wooden...
After Putin Ally's Alaska Threat,
Strange Billboards Emerge
Jul 8, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
After Putin Ally's Alaska Threat, Strange Billboards Emerge
'Alaska Is Ours!' signage in Siberia appears after Putin ally suggests taking back territory sold to US
- Sarah Palin may be able to see Russia from her house, but she may soon regret that proximity if one Putin ally and an unnamed "patriot" have their way.
reports that multiple billboards popped up in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk on Thursday, all bearing the same message...
Now's Your Chance
to Own a Dinosaur
Jul 5, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Now's Your Chance to Own a Dinosaur
Sotheby's is auctioning a Gorgosaurus skeleton, but you'll need at least $5M
- The fossilized skeleton of a T. rex relative that roamed the earth about 76 million years ago will be auctioned in New York this month, per the AP . The Gorgosaurus skeleton will highlight Sotheby's natural history auction on July 28, the auction house says. The Gorgosaurus was an apex...
The Wild Story
of the Man Who
Rode 4K Miles on
a Lawn Mower
Jul 4, 2022 3:39 PM CDT
The Wild Story of the Man Who Rode 4K Miles on a Lawn Mower
Brad Hauter managed the feat in 1999
- It all started with a forwarded email. In the late '90s, lawn-care company MTD Products Inc. was on the hunt for one person crazy enough to ride the company's Yard-Man riding mower across America, with the goal of raising $200,000 for charity in the process. A co-worker...
Shows Up at Wrong House
Jun 30, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Stanley Cup Shows Up at Wrong House
Neighbors of Colorado Avalanche's Gabe Landeskog got a memorable surprise
- Lord Stanley arrived at the wrong house in Denver, and the mistake is making headlines. It seems the NHL's famed Stanley Cup (named after the aforementioned lord) was delivered to the wrong address on Monday, reports 9News . It was supposed to go to Colorado Avalanche captain Gabe Landeskog, but...
They Showed Up to Arrest His
Son. Out Came the Excavator
Jun 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
They Showed Up to Arrest His Son. Out Came the Excavator
Vermont's Wayne Tallman is now facing charges, as is son Brandon
- "They don't have a scenario at the academy where we practice this one." So Vermont State Police Captain Matt Daley tells WCAX of an incident that saw two troopers threatened by the swinging bucket of an excavator. The troopers had arrived at Wayne Tallman's home in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche in Worse Condition Than Last Reported
After Trump Raid, Republicans Call to Investigate, Defund FBI
Rare Diagnosis 'Knocked Out' Ashton Kutcher's Vision, Hearing
Race Car Driver Has Surprising Confession About Real-World Driving
Democrats Turn 'Brandon' Meme Around to Praise Biden
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.