Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest stories of dogs in the news on Newser.com
Stories 21 - 40 |
Meet Scooter, New
'World's Ugliest Dog'
Jun 26, 2023 1:06 PM CDT
Meet Scooter, New 'World's Ugliest Dog'
7-year-old pooch crowned in competition is a Chinese crested with reversed hind legs
- "From the second he sits his hairless little booty and backward legs on your lap, you feel his warm, huggable power to change the meaning of the word 'ugly.'" The hairless booty in question belongs to a pooch named Scooter, and the description comes via a...
Good Dogs Can
Have Bad Days:
Jun 4, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Good Dogs Can Have Bad Days: Postal Service
Agency reports thousands of attacks on employees last year, with California tops
- The Postal Service has released its count of workers bitten by dogs last year, an effort to increase awareness and inspire owners to mind their pets. California, Texas, and New York again were responsible for the most bites, CNN reports—675, 404, and 321, in order. All were increases from...
Not Everyone Is Happy About
Dogs in Outdoor Dining Spaces
May 16, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Not Everyone Is Happy About Dogs in Outdoor Dining Spaces
Diners are pushing back at dogs in the dining area
- Just in time for the summer dining season, the US government has given its blessing to restaurants that want to allow pet dogs in their outdoor spaces. But even though nearly half of states already allow canine dining outdoors, the AP reports the issue is far from settled, with...
Move in Bid
to Avoid DUI
May 16, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Makes Bold Move in Bid to Avoid DUI
Officer says Colorado driver put his dog in the driver's seat
- An alleged drunk driver in Colorado tried to avoid arrest by putting his dog in the driver's seat, according to police, who were not fooled. Indeed, the police officer who caught the unidentified male driving 52mph in a 30-mph zone shortly before midnight Saturday "watched the entire process"...
City's Mayoral Race Certainly
Has Interesting Candidates
May 16, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
City's Mayoral Race Certainly Has Interesting Candidates
Molly the rescue pup, comedian, former police chief, high school senior all vying for Toronto title
- Over the weekend,
columnist Edward Keenan made his picks for the six top contenders to be the next mayor of Ontario's capital, after Friday's deadline for submitting candidacy papers came and went. Most notable in this year's mayoral race, Keenan wrote: the "whopping" 102...
Deputy Killed in
Dog Attack at Home
May 11, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Deputy Killed in Dog Attack at Home
Police believe Tamieka White was protecting 8-year-old son
- A 17-year veteran of the Marion County Sheriff's Office died "protecting the most important person in her life," her commander says. Deputy Tamieka White, 46, was killed in a dog attack at her Indianapolis home Tuesday night, the
reports. Police believe she was protecting her...
This Is the First
'PBGV' to Win Westminster
May 10, 2023 12:45 AM CDT
This Is the First 'PBGV' to Win Westminster
Petit basset griffon Vendéen wins best in show
- This Buddy Holly no longer has to sigh, “That’ll be the day.” A petit basset griffon Vendéen named for the late rock ‘n’ roll legend won best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show Tuesday night, a first for the rabbit-hunting breed, the...
Dog Walkers Are Ending
Up in the ER in Droves
in case you missed it
May 6, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Dog Walkers Are Ending Up in the ER in Droves
Researchers: Leashed strolls have led to 420K injuries over last 20 years or so
- Dogs may be man's best friend, but they're also unintentionally sending a lot of their humans to the ER. That's the upshot of a new study out of Johns Hopkins, where scientists discovered that, over the past 20 years or so, more than 422,000 people in...
Our Pets May Not Be
as Happy as We Think
Apr 22, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Our Pets May Not Be as Happy as We Think
Kenny Torrella at Vox makes the case for a world with fewer, but happier, pets
- It's easy to denounce the mistreatment of animals at the extremes: physical abuse, dog fighting, etc. But as Kenny Torrella writes at Vox , it gets trickier when even self-described animal lovers do things that fall into the realm of "everyday neglect and cruelty" in regard to their pets....
Your Dog Just
Apr 17, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Your Dog Just Went High-Tech
AI-powered Companion will dispense treats, games, training while you're busy at work
- For anyone who's ever wondered why a bedside pizza-and-movie-dispensing gadget doesn't exist, well, you're apparently still out of luck. But your dog might be sitting pretty: As Axios reports, there's a new AI-powered device that dispenses treats and "provides all day scheduled and on-demand engagement...
Animal Shelter Reports
an Unusual First
Apr 11, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Animal Shelter Reports an Unusual First
Dog named Coco arrived suffering from canine alcohol withdrawal; he's doing much better now
- In a "heartbreaking" first for one UK animal shelter, a dog that arrived there earlier this year turned out to be an alcoholic—though now he's doing much better and is on the path to recovery. CBS News reports that Coco, thought to be a chocolate lab-spaniel mix,...
Dogs Running on Beaches:
a Bigger Issue Than You Think
Apr 9, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Dogs Running on Beaches: a Bigger Issue Than You Think
A piece in 'Hakai Magazine' lays out the problem, which lies with humans, not canines
- When it comes to pets-as-predators, cats are usually cast as the villains. After all, as Ben Goldfarb writes for
, they kill an estimated 4 billion birds in the US each year. But Goldfarb's piece focuses not on felines but canines, and specifically how dogs—unleashed ones—wreak...
3 Dogs Die in 'Act
of Terror' at Race
Mar 17, 2023 9:32 AM CDT
3 Dogs Die in 'Act of Terror' at Race
Poisoned meatballs were placed near start of French canicross race
- Canicross, a sport in which people run or cycle while attached to their dogs, has been hit by what one federation calls an "act of terror." Three dogs died Sunday morning after eating poisoned meatballs that had been placed near the starting point of the second round of...
25 Years Ago It Wasn't
in the Top 75. Now It's No. 1
Mar 15, 2023 12:51 PM CDT
25 Years Ago It Wasn't in the Top 75. Now It's No. 1
The most popular purebred dog breed in the US is the French bulldog
- For the first time in three decades, the US has a new favorite dog breed, according to the American Kennel Club. Adorable in some eyes, deplorable in others, the sturdy, push-faced, perky-eared, world-weary-looking, and distinctively droll French bulldog became the nation's most prevalent purebred dog last year, the club...
Well, Here's an Unusual Rescue
Mar 13, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Well, Here's an Unusual Rescue
Dog who decided to swim out to sea in Long Beach, California, saved by a lifeguard
- If you are a tiny white dog all on your own, chances are you can find safer things to get up to than swimming out in the ocean. But as KTLA reports, if you do, it's good to have a sympathetic lifeguard around. Lifeguards in Long Beach, California, got...
More Than 3 Weeks After
Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Mar 2, 2023 9:02 AM CST
More Than 3 Weeks After Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Alex the husky is pulled out of rubble in Turkey's Hatay province, emaciated but otherwise OK
- After a series of miraculous rescues , teams digging through the rubble in the aftermath of last month's earthquake in Turkey and Syria had more or less given up on finding any more survivors. That is, until Tuesday, when an "unexpected groan" emitted from underneath a concrete block pile...
Dogs Here May Soon See
Big Changes to Their Car Rides
Feb 22, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Dogs Here May Soon See Big Changes to Their Car Rides
New Florida bill would ban pups sticking their heads out windows of moving cars, sitting in driver's lap
- When dogs go for car rides, many of them use the time to "drive and chill," sticking their heads out the window to catch the cool breeze as their human cruises along the thoroughfare. In Florida, however, that kind of carefree canine behavior may soon be coming to...
Dog Lived With
He Sleeps in
a 'Fluffy Bed'
Feb 15, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Dog Lived With Coyotes. Now He Sleeps in a 'Fluffy Bed'
But the custody dispute over Hades, aka Ghost, may not be over
- The dog is a friendly bull terrier mix who became famous in the Las Vegas area for roaming with coyotes. Now he's at the center of a strange custody dispute between the women who rescued him from the wild—they know him as Ghost—and the family who says...
This Lost Dog
Where to Go
in case you missed it
Feb 12, 2023 10:50 AM CST
This Lost Dog Knew Exactly Where to Go
After escaping new owner's home, Bailey shows up at El Paso shelter she'd been adopted out from
- On Jan. 29, an "urgent" message popped up on the Facebook page of Texas' Animal Rescue League of El Paso. "This beautiful girl—Bailey—has gotten loose," the post read, accompanied by photos of an incredibly cute pup. "She is very friendly." Loretta Hyde, the...
Dog Walkers Probably
Make More Than You Think
Jan 28, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Dog Walkers Probably Make More Than You Think
In New York City, established ones pull in 6 figures
- The most lucrative side hustle in the nation is dog walking, according to the online tutoring service Preply . It pegs the average hourly wage for the task at $43, ahead of freelance design ($32) and freelance writing ($29). If that rate sounds high, a story in the
New York Times
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.