Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest stories of dogs in the news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 25, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Couple Gets Refund Over Stinky Dog on Flight
New Zealand pair say they had to move from premium to economy over the smell
- A New Zealand couple who say they were subjected to a drooling, snorting, and farting dog on a long flight have gotten a $1,400 refund for their trouble, reports Insider . Gill and Warren Press say they asked to switch their premium seats midflight from Paris to Singapore because the...
Found in Woods
With 2 Furry Protectors
Sep 22, 2023 10:33 AM CDT
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Michigan police say one dog guarded 2-year-old, while another served as her pillow
- The case of a missing toddler in Michigan had a happy ending earlier this week, but it was how she was found that bolstered, once again, dogs' status as man's best friend. Michigan State Police showed up at the home of a 2-year-old girl in Menominee County's Faithorn...
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
After Attacks, UK Is
Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Sep 15, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
After Attacks, UK Is Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Prime minister says the breed will be outlawed by the end of the year
- A large breed of dog known as the American Bully XL will be off limits in the UK as of the end of the year, reports the BBC . British Prime Minster Rishi Sunak announced the breed will be banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act after a series of attacks. The...
3 Times, Picks Odd
Sep 2, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Determined Dog Escapes Shelter 3 Times, Picks Odd Forever Home
Now, 6 years later, Scout is a joyous part of the daily lives of seniors at Michigan nursing home
- Nothing too exciting happens at the relatively calm Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility, a nursing home in Bellaire, Michigan, that cares for seniors with terminal illnesses and dementia—but despite that (or maybe because of it), a stray dog decided that was the place he wanted to make his forever...
10 Best US Cities for Dogs
Aug 27, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
10 Best US Cities for Dogs
Orlando, Florida, is tops
- Orlando, Florida, is the apparently place to be if you're a dog. So says Lawn Starter , which ranked the 200 largest cities in the US on canine friendliness. Factors included the share of dog-friendly rental properties; the number vets, groomers, and dog parks; how easy it is to walk...
Dog Detects Thief,
Does Not Deter Thief
Aug 7, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
Dog Detects Thief, Does Not Deter Thief
Friendly pooch accepts a belly rub instead, and San Diego police release the video
- A San Diego dog is excellent at detecting burglars. The next step could use a little work. As NBC San Diego reports, police released an unusual surveillance video of a burglar taking an electric bike from a homeowner's garage. "In a rather peculiar turn of events, as the...
The Case Against
Aug 6, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
The Case Against Dog Parks
The dogs may not be having as much fun as you think, writes Julie V. Iovine
- It's advice sure to rile up a certain breed of dog people: "Skip the dog park." So argues Julie V. Iovine in a
New York Times
essay. These parks may seem great for humans, but Iovine makes the case they are not so great for dogs. "...
Secret Service Officers Have
Learned: Biden's Dog Bites
Jul 25, 2023 2:37 PM CDT
Secret Service Officers Have Learned: Biden's Dog Bites
It's 10 times in 4 months for Commander
- President Biden's dogs apparently don't like Secret Service officers. First, Major got shipped out after biting one. Now, Commander is in trouble. The German shepherd bit Secret Service officers at least 10 times between October 2022 and January, including one incident that required a trip to the hospital,...
Judge Rejects Attempt to Claim
Lady Gaga's Dog Reward
Jul 12, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Judge Rejects Attempt to Claim Lady Gaga's Dog Reward
Woman linked to 2021 theft of singer's pets wanted $500K reward plus $1M damages
- Lady Gaga doesn't have to pay a reward to a woman who was charged in connection with the violent theft of two of her dogs in 2021, a Los Angeles judge has decided. Jennifer McBride, who was sentenced to two years of probation last year for receiving stolen property,...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
Meet Scooter, New
'World's Ugliest Dog'
Jun 26, 2023 1:06 PM CDT
Meet Scooter, New 'World's Ugliest Dog'
7-year-old pooch crowned in competition is a Chinese crested with reversed hind legs
- "From the second he sits his hairless little booty and backward legs on your lap, you feel his warm, huggable power to change the meaning of the word 'ugly.'" The hairless booty in question belongs to a pooch named Scooter, and the description comes via a...
Good Dogs Can
Have Bad Days:
Jun 4, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Good Dogs Can Have Bad Days: Postal Service
Agency reports thousands of attacks on employees last year, with California tops
- The Postal Service has released its count of workers bitten by dogs last year, an effort to increase awareness and inspire owners to mind their pets. California, Texas, and New York again were responsible for the most bites, CNN reports—675, 404, and 321, in order. All were increases from...
Not Everyone Is Happy About
Dogs in Outdoor Dining Spaces
May 16, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Not Everyone Is Happy About Dogs in Outdoor Dining Spaces
Diners are pushing back at dogs in the dining area
- Just in time for the summer dining season, the US government has given its blessing to restaurants that want to allow pet dogs in their outdoor spaces. But even though nearly half of states already allow canine dining outdoors, the AP reports the issue is far from settled, with...
Move in Bid
to Avoid DUI
May 16, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Makes Bold Move in Bid to Avoid DUI
Officer says Colorado driver put his dog in the driver's seat
- An alleged drunk driver in Colorado tried to avoid arrest by putting his dog in the driver's seat, according to police, who were not fooled. Indeed, the police officer who caught the unidentified male driving 52mph in a 30-mph zone shortly before midnight Saturday "watched the entire process"...
City's Mayoral Race Certainly
Has Interesting Candidates
May 16, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
City's Mayoral Race Certainly Has Interesting Candidates
Molly the rescue pup, comedian, former police chief, high school senior all vying for Toronto title
- Over the weekend,
columnist Edward Keenan made his picks for the six top contenders to be the next mayor of Ontario's capital, after Friday's deadline for submitting candidacy papers came and went. Most notable in this year's mayoral race, Keenan wrote: the "whopping" 102...
Deputy Killed in
Dog Attack at Home
May 11, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Deputy Killed in Dog Attack at Home
Police believe Tamieka White was protecting 8-year-old son
- A 17-year veteran of the Marion County Sheriff's Office died "protecting the most important person in her life," her commander says. Deputy Tamieka White, 46, was killed in a dog attack at her Indianapolis home Tuesday night, the
reports. Police believe she was protecting her...
This Dog Just Turned 31
May 11, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
This Dog Just Turned 31
Bobi of Portugal is the oldest dog ever, according to Guinness World Records
- Seeing a dog reach 21 years is remarkable. In Portugal, a dog named Bobi has just turned
-one, reports UPI . In fact, Bobi currently holds two Guinness World Records —oldest living dog (which he earned earlier this year, per
) and, more impressively, oldest dog ever. Bobi's...
This Is the First
'PBGV' to Win Westminster
May 10, 2023 12:45 AM CDT
This Is the First 'PBGV' to Win Westminster
Petit basset griffon Vendéen wins best in show
- This Buddy Holly no longer has to sigh, “That’ll be the day.” A petit basset griffon Vendéen named for the late rock ‘n’ roll legend won best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show Tuesday night, a first for the rabbit-hunting breed, the...
Dog Walkers Are Ending
Up in the ER in Droves
in case you missed it
May 6, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Dog Walkers Are Ending Up in the ER in Droves
Researchers: Leashed strolls have led to 420K injuries over last 20 years or so
- Dogs may be man's best friend, but they're also unintentionally sending a lot of their humans to the ER. That's the upshot of a new study out of Johns Hopkins, where scientists discovered that, over the past 20 years or so, more than 422,000 people in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.