Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Host: That's It,
I'm Done With NFL
Aug 24, 2018 6:25 AM CDT
Female ESPN Host: That's It, I'm Done With NFL
Michelle Beadle says league doesn't care about women
- Michelle Beadle has some more free time on the weekends—and the ESPN pundit says she has the NFL to thank for it. The co-host of the network's
program tweeted an image of a cringing Jerry Seinfeld Wednesday along with the line: "Me, pretending to be...
Japan Medical School: We
Altered Scores to Limit Women
Aug 8, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Japan Medical School: We Altered Scores to Limit Women
Tokyo Medical University apologized for manipulating results since at least 2006
- A Tokyo medical school apologized Tuesday after an internal investigation confirmed that it altered entrance exam scores for years to limit the number of female students and ensure more men became doctors. Tokyo Medical University manipulated all entrance exam results starting in 2006 or even earlier, according to findings released...
In a First for Miss America,
All Top Spots Held by Women
May 17, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
In a First for Miss America, All Top Spots Held by Women
Women hold the top 3 leadership positions after email scandal
- The Miss America Organization is putting women in its three top leadership positions following an email scandal in which male officials were caught making vulgar and insulting comments about past winners of the beauty pageant. The organization tells the AP it is appointing Regina Hopper as president and CEO of...
Our Bodies, Ourselves
Will No Longer
Apr 9, 2018 5:41 PM CDT
Our Bodies, Ourselves
Will No Longer Be Published
Organization can no longer afford to publish iconic book
- The most recent new edition of
Our Bodies, Ourselves
will be the last. The organization that publishes the iconic book announced last week that it can no longer afford to update the book and put out new editions. Instead, it will transition to a volunteer-led organization "that will mainly...
Women Trying to Save Man's
Life Ordered Out of Sumo Ring
Apr 5, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Women Trying to Save Man's Life Ordered Out of Sumo Ring
Sports official apologizes in Japan after incident
- A jarring incident in a sumo ring has triggered a national conversation in Japan about how women are treated. On Wednesday, women who rushed to save a man who collapsed were ordered to leave the ring because of the sport's tradition that women are "impure" and cannot enter...
on Women's Day 2018
Mar 8, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Branding Misfires on Women's Day 2018
McDonald's, Mattel come under criticism, and Spain's women go on strike
- Thursday is International Women's Day, an annual event getting more attention than usual in 2018 because it's the first in the wake of the #MeToo movement. As expected, brands ( including McDonald's ) are looking to capitalize, though critics are calling out examples of perceived misfires. Here'...
Best State for Women:
the 'North Star' State
Mar 5, 2018 9:20 AM CST
Best State for Women: the 'North Star' State
Minnesota is the best state to live in for gender equality; Louisiana needs to do some work
- Amid the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, WalletHub did some digging to see which US states proved best for women (and which didn't fare so well). The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia across two main metrics: women's economic and social well-being—which includes...
Calls for Action After
Scary Birth Experience
Feb 20, 2018 3:53 PM CST
Serena Williams Calls for Action After Scary Birth Experience
We need to make the world safer for all moms and newborns, she writes
- Serena Williams nearly died after her daughter was born via emergency C-section last year; a pulmonary embolism "sparked a slew of health complications that I am lucky to have survived," the tennis star writes for CNN . Living through the experience made Williams realize even though it was terrifying,...
Those 'You Are Beautiful' Signs
Are Pretty Problematic
Oct 31, 2017 3:58 PM CDT
Those 'You Are Beautiful' Signs Are Pretty Problematic
Research indicates they won't make women feel beautiful: psychologist
- Signs reminding people "you are beautiful" often pop up in public places, and at first glance, it may be hard to take issue with such a seemingly positive message. But in
, psychologist and body image researcher Renee Engeln explains there are actually numerous problems with those signs,...
Have 0 Women
Oct 3, 2017 7:29 PM CDT
7 Companies Have 0 Women in Leadership Positions
In contrast, Chico's FAS leads the way for female execs
- Some companies are better than others—much better—when it comes to cracking open the glass ceiling for women. Using data from research group LedBetter, 24/7 Wall St . has come up with the best and worst companies on this front among 237 global corporations. Factors include the number of women...
Calls Out Cannes
May 30, 2017 4:12 PM CDT
Jessica Chastain Calls Out Cannes
For 'disturbing' representation of women in film
- Jessica Chastain was a jury member at this year's Cannes Film Festival, but that didn't mean she automatically approved of what she saw. At the final press conference when the festival closed Sunday, the actress responded with criticism when a reporter asked about the female filmmakers at the...
Best, Worst States
for Working Moms
May 8, 2017 6:07 PM CDT
Best, Worst States for Working Moms
WalletHub puts Vermont at top, with Alabama at bottom
- With Mother's Day upon us, WalletHub has looked at data to determine the best and worst states for working moms. Factors include gender pay gaps, the availability of child care, parental leave policies, and the number of women in executive positions. Here are the 10 with the best scores...
Website Debuts to Help US
Women Carry Out DIY Abortions
Apr 28, 2017 12:36 PM CDT
Website Debuts to Help US Women Carry Out DIY Abortions
SASS counselors will help Americans who've decided to end pregnancies with drugs
- A Dutch organization that advises women on reproductive rights has now launched a website to help US women terminate pregnancies on their own. The
reports on the "Self-Managed Abortion: Safe and Supported" portal, or SASS , set up by Women Help Women . Through it, 23 trained counselors will answer...
Apr 25, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
Ivanka Greeted With Boos at Women's Summit
Audience didn't care for her gushing about President Trump's 'advocacy' for women
- Media access to the first family may be somewhat controlled in the US, but Ivanka Trump found such a buffer doesn't exist in Germany. Trump took the stage in Berlin on Tuesday at the W20 summit on women's entrepreneurship, at Chancellor Angela Merkel's invite, and she was...
Ivanka Had Secret Meeting
With Planned Parenthood
Apr 6, 2017 9:41 AM CDT
Ivanka Had Secret Meeting With Planned Parenthood
Her relationship with Cecile Richards has since soured: Politico
- Not long before explaining that "lack of public denouncement" does not equal silence , Ivanka Trump secretly met with the head of Planned Parenthood, reports Politico . After indicating she wanted to know more about the organization, Trump sat down with Cecile Richards in the weeks following her father's inauguration,...
Female Workers Should
Check Out These Countries
Mar 8, 2017 12:07 PM CST
Female Workers Should Check Out These Countries
Get thee to the Nordic nations
- International Women's Day means global protests , "defiant" statues , and examining which countries are the best ones to work in if you're female. The
looks at the latter via its "glass ceiling index," which merges data on higher education, child care expenses, and salary, among...
'Real Women?' Many Aren't
Happy With This NC Billboard
Feb 23, 2017 11:20 AM CST
'Real Women?' Many Aren't Happy With This NC Billboard
Protest organizer says it slams gender equality
- Women are planning this weekend to protest a North Carolina billboard with a message they say is a slam on gender equality, according to media reports. A billboard on a highway between Winston-Salem and Greensboro reads, "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it." It's on Business 40,...
Lady Gaga Is Not
Having It With
Feb 8, 2017 1:03 PM CST
Lady Gaga Is Not Having It With Body Shamers
'I'm proud of my body,' she writes after Super Bowl performance
- Whether Lady Gaga made a political statement was one big topic of conversation following her Super Bowl performance . Another? How she looked. "I heard my body is a topic of conversation so I wanted to say, I'm proud of my body and you should be proud of yours...
Women's Marches Will Be
Held on All 7 Continents
Jan 20, 2017 9:38 AM CST
Women's Marches Will Be Held on All 7 Continents
'Sister marches' planned in Kenya, New Zealand
- On his first full-day in office, President Trump will get the message that "women's rights are human rights"—or that's the hope of some 400,000 people expected to attend the Women's March in Washington on Saturday. Here's what to know about the event:...
Lena Dunham to
Thanks for Not Photoshopping
Jan 4, 2017 1:23 PM CST
Lena Dunham to
: Thanks for Not Photoshopping
'Girls' creator talks body image
- Lena Dunham appears on the cover of
magazine's February issue with her
co-stars, wearing booty shorts, and she has something to say to the magazine for not Photoshopping her thighs to smooth perfection: thanks. "Here goes: throughout my teens I was told, in no uncertain terms,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.