Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Tim Cook's Compensation
Should Alarm Investors: Firm
Feb 17, 2022 4:16 PM CST
Tim Cook's Compensation Should Alarm Investors: Firm
He received $99M in 2021, or 1,447 times the wage of an average Apple worker
- Apple shareholders are urged to raise a stink about a $99 million pay package awarded last year to CEO Tim Cook, who's already reportedly worth more than $1 billion. In a letter to shareholders published Wednesday, proxy advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services said there are "significant concerns" about...
Believed to Be
in California, Armed
Jan 26, 2022 1:24 AM CST
Tim Cook's Alleged Stalker Believed to Be in California, Armed
Apple CEO granted restraining order against the 45-year-old Virginia woman
- Apple CEO Tim Cook has been granted a restraining order against a woman accused of stalking him—and whom Apple believes is currently somewhere in Silicon Valley, armed. The 45-year-old Virginia woman has allegedly sent Cook threatening emails including pictures of a loaded gun and threats to burn down his...
New iPhone Feature Adds
to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Apr 27, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
New iPhone Feature Adds to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Users can choose to not allow tracking for ad purposes, striking at Facebook's model
- A new privacy feature released Monday reflects the widening gulf between Facebook and Apple—and their leaders. The feature makes iPhone owners choose whether to let apps like Facebook track them across other apps, a practice that's central to targeting users with tailored ad content. Should iPhone users reject...
Tim Cook Makes
a TV Show
Dec 14, 2020 8:53 AM CST
Tim Cook Makes Controversial Move About a TV Show
Media columnist Ben Smith writes that he killed a show about an old nemesis, Gawker
- Media columnist Ben Smith of the
New York Times
tends to break news in his weekly column, and the latest is no exception. Smith writes that Apple CEO Tim Cook personally killed a prospective show about the now-defunct Gawker Media that was in the works for Apple TV Plus. The...
Apple Does What No
US Company Has Done Before
Aug 19, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Apple Does What No US Company Has Done Before
It's the first publicly traded American company to hit a $2T market cap
- Just before 11am ET on Wednesday, Apple's share price hit $467.77—and propelled the company into the record books. Based on its share count and that price, Apple became the first publicly traded US company to hit a $2 trillion market cap. The feat comes just a hair...
Tim Cook Enters the
Aug 11, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Tim Cook Enters the 'Three-Comma Club'
Apple's CEO has just become a billionaire
- Don't think of Tim Cook as obscenely rich? Well, he is Apple's CEO, and he's now in the billionaire's club. That's according to a Bloomberg News analysis of his compensation and years of Apple stock awards that pay out gradually. His 847,969 shares (about...
'Emperors of the New Economy'
Grilled at Antitrust Hearing
Jul 29, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
'Emperors of the New Economy' Grilled at Antitrust Hearing
'Simply put, they have too much power'
- The CEOs of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google were sworn in remotely Wednesday for a historic antitrust hearing before House lawmakers. Rep. David Cicilline, chairman of the House Judiciary antitrust subcommittee, used his opening statement to accuse the tech giants of damaging the economy through excessive dominance, the
Big Tech CEOs Head to
Congress for Historic Hearing
Jul 29, 2020 7:06 AM CDT
Big Tech CEOs Head to Congress for Historic Hearing
Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google on the defense over rising power
- Chief executives of Facebook, Google, Apple, and Amazon are set to testify remotely before Congress on Wednesday as part of a hearing focusing on the size and power of the world's leading tech companies, following a yearlong investigation by the House judiciary’s antitrust subcommittee. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg...
Jun 1, 2020 6:32 PM CDT
Reflecting on Pain, Apple Adds to Donations
Other companies announce gifts to battle inequality
- Apple will be donating money to combat discrimination, CEO Tim Cook said, but that's just the start. "We have to reexamine our own views and actions in light of a pain that is deeply felt but too often ignored," Cook wrote in a memo to employees after...
to Guy Who Rang
Tim Cook's Doorbell
Feb 21, 2020 12:10 PM CST
Apple Responds to Guy Who Rang Tim Cook's Doorbell
Rakesh 'Rocky' Sharma slapped with restraining order
- Apple has secured a temporary restraining order against a man said to be harassing CEO Tim Cook. In one incident described in court documents first spotted by Dave Gershgorn at OneZero, Rakesh "Rocky" Sharma allegedly snuck past a closed gate at Cook's home in Palo Alto, Calif., after...
Changes at Apple Opened
Door to Ive's Departure
Jul 1, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Changes at Apple Opened Door to Ive's Departure
Cook's shift in focus left design chief frustrated
- Apple announced the upcoming departure of design chief Jony Ive last week, but this was a separation that had been in the works for some time. Ive withdrew from the company's leadership over a period of several years as CEO Tim Cook emphasized business operations over product design, the...
Apple Makes Rare Move:
It Cancels a Product
Mar 29, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Apple Makes Rare Move: It Cancels a Product
Wireless charger AirPower is being scrapped
- Anyone hoping to get their hands on Apple's much-ballyhood AirPower wireless charger is out of luck. The company says the product is scrapped, not merely postponed, reports TechCrunch . The AirPower, announced in 2017, was supposed to be able to charge an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and AirPods on a...
Trump: Here's Why
I Said 'Tim Apple'
Mar 11, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Trump: Here's Why I Said 'Tim Apple'
He blames 'Fake News' for negative coverage
- President Trump is doubling down and insisting that he did not, in fact, screw up the name of Apple CEO Tim Cook at a White House function. You can start by watching the original remarks here . On Twitter Monday, Trump provided an explanation of why he said "Tim Apple"...
Tim Cook Changes Twitter
Name to 'Tim Apple'
Mar 8, 2019 1:38 AM CST
Tim Cook Changes Twitter Name to 'Tim Apple'
He turns Trump mix-up into reality
- Tim Cook evidently saw the funny side after President Trump got his name wrong during a White House meeting Wednesday. "We appreciate it very much, Tim Apple," the president said after thanking the Apple CEO for investing in the US. On Thursday, Cook made the flub reality by...
Trump Takes Flak From
Usually Supportive Outlets
Mar 7, 2019 11:57 AM CST
Trump Takes Flak From Usually Supportive Outlets
Fox's Lou Dobbs says White House has 'lost its way,' while Drudge plays up a negative story
- President Trump has lost the support of one prominent figure on the right in Ann Coulter . Now Axios notes that he's getting some pushback from two other usually supportive voices: Lou Dobbs and Matt Drudge. On his Fox show Wednesday, Dobbs said he feared that the White House has...
Apr 2, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Zuckerberg to 'Frenemy' Tim Cook: You're 'Extremely Glib'
Says Apple CEO's remarks aren't 'aligned with the truth' after he slams Facebook's 'monetized' users
- "Has Facebook become too big to manage, and too dangerous when it fails?" muses Vox co-founder Ezra Klein in introducing an interview released Monday with Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg. And one of the topics in that chat makes Zuckerberg bristle: a recent slam by Apple CEO Tim Cook, described...
Will Soon Be
Jan 18, 2018 10:40 AM CST
iPhone Slowdown Will Soon Be Optional
But Tim Cook doesn't recommend you disable it
- Apple has somewhat good news for users of older, slower iPhones who don't want to go out and buy a new battery. Tim Cook tells ABC News that a new iOS update—expected in early February, per the Verge —will allow iPhone users to disable Apple's deliberate...
CEO's Pay Cut
Dec 28, 2017 3:11 AM CST
Apple Reverses CEO's Pay Cut
Tim Cook gets massive bonus for exceeding sales targets
- The pay cut that CEO Tim Cook and other Apple execs received after a rare slump in sales last year has been reversed—and then some. According to a Wednesday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, a cash bonus for exceeding the board's sales and profit targets boosted...
Preorders In for iPhone X, but
There's Already Controversy
Oct 27, 2017 12:25 PM CDT
Preorders In for iPhone X, but There's Already Controversy
Rumored production issues and too much hype regarding demand are the buzz right now
- The iPhone X will officially ship on Nov. 3, but those vying for Apple's latest smartphone were able to try to preorder on Friday—and the first available batches sold out in mere minutes. CNET reports only a few models were left after just 10 minutes of opening the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.