Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Best By' Labels on Food
Receive a Fresh Look
Oct 5, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
'Best By' Labels on Food Receive a Fresh Look
Varying wording may add to consumers' confusion about whether a product is safe to eat
- As awareness grows around the world about the problem of food waste, one culprit in particular is drawing scrutiny: "best before" labels. Manufacturers have used the labels for decades to estimate peak freshness. Unlike "use by" labels, which are found on perishable foods like meat and dairy, "...
FDA: This Is a Really Bad
Way to Cook Chicken
Sep 20, 2022 11:11 PM CDT
FDA: This Is a Really Bad Way to Cook Chicken
Agency issues warning on NyQuil challenge
- The Food and Drug Administration wants Americans to know that cooking chicken in cough syrup is as bad an idea as it sounds. In an FDA warning about social media challenges, the agency referred to a TikTok video that showed somebody cooking chicken in NyQuil cough and cold medication, which...
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months
for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2021 3:20 PM CST
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
John Croucher's 2018 meal served to church congregation sickened dozens, killed one
- John Croucher served up a shepherd's pie in 2018 that ended up giving 32 people food poisoning, including one woman who died. Now, the former head chef at a UK country pub has been sentenced to four months in prison, with a year's suspension, after conceding that he'...
US Decides There Are
Now 9 Major Food Allergens
Apr 26, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
US Decides There Are Now 9 Major Food Allergens
Sesame must be specified on labels starting in 2023
- For years now, any food that contains one of eight food allergens—milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, or soybeans—must say so on the label. Now there's a ninth ingredient on that list: sesame, reports the
New York Times
. President Biden late last week signed legislation...
The Premier Tried to Speak.
Then Came the Pig Guts
Nov 27, 2020 7:01 AM CST
The Premier Tried to Speak. Then Came the Pig Guts
'Disgusting' Taiwan protest was in response to allowance of US pork imports with ractopamine
- It's not out of the ordinary for fights to break out in Taiwan's parliament, but Friday's brawl was more stomach-turning than usual. As Premier Su Tseng-chang tried to answer questions during a session of the Legislative Yuan, punches flew and members of the Kuomintang (KMT) opposition party...
Implicated in 5
Feb 26, 2020 6:03 AM CST
Jimmy John's Implicated in 5 Illness Outbreaks
Chain stops selling sprouts after FDA warning about 'adulterated' food
- Veggies served by sandwich chain Jimmy John's have been linked to five outbreaks of E. coli and salmonella over the past seven years, affecting consumers in at least 17 states, the FDA said Tuesday. The most recent outbreak saw 22 people in Iowa sickened with E.coli in late...
Linked to Listeria Outbreak
Dec 20, 2019 8:46 AM CST
Hard-Boiled Eggs Linked to Listeria Outbreak
CDC warns retailers, consumers about bulk eggs sold in pails by Almark Foods of Georgia
- The CDC is linking a deadly listeria outbreak in multiple states to hard-boiled eggs from an Almark Foods plant in Georgia. For those worried about getting sick, however, the warning is tricky. It involves eggs sold in bulk mainly to food-service operators, stores, and restaurants, meaning they might turn up...
Food Experts Warn:
Don't Rinse That Turkey
Nov 28, 2019 7:45 AM CST
Food Experts Warn: Don't Rinse That Turkey
And don't leave it to thaw at room temperature, either
- Go ahead and rinse your cranberries, potatoes, and green beans. But food experts say don't—repeat don't—wash the turkey before popping it in the oven on Thanksgiving Day. Experts at the US Department of Agriculture say that could spread the germs lurking on your turkey—to be...
2M Pounds of Chicken
Need to Be Thrown Away
Nov 7, 2019 7:27 AM CST
2M Pounds of Chicken Need to Be Thrown Away
Recall issued for Simmons products
- Consumers in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania should check their fridges for potentially contaminated poultry products, authorities say. A recall notice has been issued for chicken products from Simmons Prepared Foods Inc. produced from Oct. 21 through Nov. 4 over fears they may have been contaminated...
King Arthur Flour
Jun 14, 2019 12:05 AM CDT
King Arthur Flour Announces Recall
Wheat was linked to E.coli outbreak
- King Arthur Flour has recalled 14,218 cases of flour—around 114,000 5-pound bags—over potential E.coli contamination. The recall affects unbleached all-purpose flour sold through Target, Walmart, and distributors nationwide,
reports. The company says no illnesses have been linked to the flour, but it is...
Feds Ask Food-Makers:
Can We Eat This, or What?
Jun 8, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Feds Ask Food-Makers: Can We Eat This, or What?
'Best by,' 'sell by' and other terms leave some of us confused
- If milk is a few days past its "Sell By" date, is it safe to drink? US regulators are urging food-makers to be more consistent with labeling terms like "Best By" and "Enjoy By" that cause confusion, the AP reports. By clarifying the meaning of such dates,...
CDC: You May Be Handling
Raw Chicken Incorrectly
May 2, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
CDC: You May Be Handling Raw Chicken Incorrectly
Agency advises against rinsing it off before cooking
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a message: "Don't wash your raw chicken!" The agency estimates a million people fall ill each year after eating contaminated poultry, but it warns in a tweet that rinsing off the meat before cooking can do more harm than...
Heading Back to
Work Without Pay
Jan 15, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Food Inspectors Heading Back to Work Without Pay
FDA inspections of 'high risk' items were to resume
- The FDA says it will resume inspections of some of the riskiest foods—such as cheeses, produce and infant formula—that had been briefly halted as a result of the partial government shutdown. FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said Monday that the agency is bringing back about 150 unpaid employees for...
Shutdown 'Puts US
Food Supply at Risk'
Jan 10, 2019 4:28 AM CST
Shutdown 'Puts US Food Supply at Risk'
FDA has suspended domestic inspections
- The government shutdown has put America's food supply at risk despite the best efforts of the Food and Drug Administration, experts warn. The agency has had to suspend routine testing of most domestic food production facilities, though inspections of imports are continuing. Inspectors working without pay are continuing to...
29K Pounds of Sausage
Recalled Over Risk of Metal
Dec 11, 2018 8:21 AM CST
29K Pounds of Sausage Recalled Over Risk of Metal
5 people have found metal fragments in Jimmy Dean sausage links
- Check your freezer for 23.4-oz. packages of Jimmy Dean's "Heat 'n Serve" sausages, recalled over an apparent risk of metal fragments. The Monday announcement from the Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service refers to five customer complaints of metal pieces in the frozen...
Flood of New Illness
Reports Hit Chipotle
Jul 31, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Flood of New Illness Reports Hit Chipotle
But hey, there's free guacamole Tuesday!
- Food safety concerns are once again plaguing Chipotle: Consumer complaints filed on IWasPoisoned.com —a website that tracks possible food poisoning cases and helped reveal a 2015 E. coli outbreak at Chipotle locations—suggest close to 200 people have fallen ill after eating at a Ohio restaurant, per Business...
Tainted Water Blamed
for Deadly E. Coli Outbreak
Jun 29, 2018 2:53 AM CDT
Tainted Water Blamed for Deadly E. Coli Outbreak
Romaine lettuce outbreak is over, feds say
- The worst E. coli outbreak in the US since 2006 is over, with five people dead and more than 200 sickened by tainted romaine lettuce, federal authorities say. The outbreak, which affected people in 36 states and caused at least 96 hospitalizations, was traced to the Yuma region in western...
228K Pounds of Spam
Recalled After Oral Injuries
May 28, 2018 1:15 AM CDT
228K Pounds of Spam Recalled After Oral Injuries
At least 4 consumers found metal objects in food
- The US Department of Agriculture is recalling more than 228,000 pounds of Spam and another product made by Minnesota-based Hormel after four consumers complained about metal objects in the food. The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service says the canned chicken and pork in question was produced in...
Nationwide Veggie Recall
Now Includes Target, Walmart
Oct 24, 2017 4:24 AM CDT
Nationwide Veggie Recall Now Includes Target, Walmart
Listeria was detected in sample from Calif. supplier
- Salad mixes and other "minimally processed" vegetable products from a California supplier have been recalled at outlets across the US out of what Mann Packing says is an "abundance of caution." The supplier voluntarily recalled the products, which have "best if used by" dates of Oct....
First Hot Dogs, Now Sausages:
New Meat Recall
May 25, 2017 10:58 AM CDT
First Hot Dogs, Now Sausages: New Meat Recall
Recall announced by Armour-Eckrich Meats after metal shards found
- On the heels of a recall on hot dogs that contained metal shards , a Kansas food distributor has recalled nearly 100,000 pounds of precooked sausage products for the same reason, reports the AP . The recall was announced Wednesday by Armour-Eckrich Meats in Junction City. The USDA's Food Safety...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.