Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 PM CST
Iranian Men Charged With US Election Interference
Goals of online campaign were confusion and intimidation, officials say
- Two suspected Iranian computer hackers have been charged with election interference, accused of trying to intimidate American voters ahead of last year's US presidential election by sending threatening messages and spreading disinformation, the AP reports. The effort attracted publicity in the run-up to the November 2020 election, when law...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Iran Provincial Governor
Slapped at Own Inauguration
Oct 23, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Iran Provincial Governor Slapped at Own Inauguration
Security breached by man suspected of having a personal dispute with new governor
- The new governor of a northwestern Iranian province was slapped in the face by an angry man during his inauguration Saturday, an unusual breach of security in the Islamic Republic during a ceremony attended by the country's interior minister. A motive for the attack in Iran's Eastern Azerbaijan...
He Became President, Then
Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Oct 9, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
He Became President, Then Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Abolhassan Banisadr, first Iranian president after 1979 revolution, dies at 88
- Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first president after the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution who fled Tehran after being impeached for challenging the growing power of clerics as the nation became a theocracy, died Saturday, reports the AP . He was 88. Banisadr's family said in a statement online Saturday that...
One Small Pot, 2 Groups
of Terrorism Victims
Sep 27, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
One Small Pot, 2 Groups of Terrorism Victims
Former Iranian hostages await compensation more than 4 decades later
- Two members of a select group died this month—they were among the 52 Americans taken hostage in Iran in 1979, reports Anne Gearan in the
. With their deaths, the number of surviving members from the group has shrunk to 35. "We are not getting any younger,...
Unconscious Iranian Wins
Karate Gold at Olympics
Aug 8, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Unconscious Iranian Wins Karate Gold at Olympics
Opponent was disqualified for kick to the neck
- Iran’s Sajad Ganjzadeh won the Olympic gold medal in men’s over-75 kilogram karate after final opponent Tareg Hamedi was disqualified for kicking Ganjzadeh hard in the upper body or head, per the AP . It happened in the final bout of karate's Olympic debut in Japan when...
Iran Plotted to Kidnap
Brooklyn Resident, Say Feds
Jul 14, 2021 5:48 AM CDT
Iran Plotted to Kidnap Brooklyn Resident, Say Feds
4 Iranian operatives charged with conspiring to abduct journalist Masih Alinejad
- Feds say they intervened in an international scheme to abduct an Iranian-American journalist who is now a citizen and resident of the US. Though prosecutors didn't name the target, Masih Alinejad confirmed to the
New York Times
that it was her. Known for criticizing the Iranian government, Alinejad said...
Hackers Post Phone Number
of Iran's Supreme Leader
Jul 9, 2021 3:39 PM CDT
Hackers Post Phone Number of Iran's Supreme Leader
They also disrupt rail service in the country
- Hackers were blamed for disruptions in Iran's rail service on Friday, with a state broadcaster reporting "unprecedented chaos at railway stations across the country." The national railway website, ticket offices, and cargo services were affected, per Reuters , causing trips to be delayed and canceled. Boards in stations...
Son Found Dismembered,
and Elderly Parents Confess
Jul 5, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Son Found Dismembered, and Elderly Parents Confess
Iranian filmmaker Babak Khorramdin's parents say they killed him over corruption
- When body parts found in a trash bin outside a Tehran apartment building turned out to be the remains of one of the residents, police knocked on the door of the man’s elderly parents. Those parents immediately—and remorselessly—confessed to killing their son. Akbar Khorramdin and his wife,...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens
of Iran-Tied News Sites
Jun 23, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens of Iran-Tied News Sites
Department alleges these state-linked sites are spreading disinformation
- American authorities seized a range of Iran's state-linked news website domains they accused of spreading disinformation, the US Justice Department said Tuesday, a move that appeared to be a far-reaching crackdown on Iranian media amid heightened tensions between the two countries. The Justice Department said 33 of the seized...
Iran's New Leader Defends
Role in Mass Execution
Jun 21, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Iran's New Leader Defends Role in Mass Execution
Ebrahim Raisi also says he won't meet Biden
- Iran's president-elect said Monday he wouldn't meet with President Biden or negotiate over Tehran's ballistic missile program and its support of regional militias, sticking to a hard-line position following his landslide victory in last week's election, per the AP . On meeting Biden, judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi...
Iran Nuclear Power Plant
Has Emergency Shutdown
Jun 21, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Iran Nuclear Power Plant Has Emergency Shutdown
Situation is temporary, has not been explained
- Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday. An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last "for three to four days....
Looks Like a Win for
Jun 19, 2021 12:55 AM CDT
Iran Elections: Looks Like a Win for Hard-Line Judiciary Chief
Ebrahim Raisi's opponents are conceding
- The moderate candidate in Iran's presidential election has conceded he lost to the country's hard-line judiciary chief, the AP reports. Former Central Bank chief Abdolnasser Hemmati wrote on Instagram to judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi early Saturday. Hemmati wrote: “I hope your administration provides causes for pride for...
US Watching 2 Iranian
Warships in the Atlantic
Jun 11, 2021 9:04 AM CDT
US Watching 2 Iranian Warships in the Atlantic
Vessels' destination is unknown, but speculation abounds that they're delivering arms to Venezuela
- Two warships from Iran have popped up in the Atlantic Ocean this week, though no one is saying where they're going or what their objective is. Per the Hill , the arrival of the Sahand destroyer and its support vessel, the intel-gathering Makran, in Atlantic waters was announced by Iran...
Largest Ship in Iranian Navy
Reportedly Catches Fire, Sinks
Jun 2, 2021 6:56 AM CDT
Largest Ship in Iranian Navy Reportedly Catches Fire, Sinks
It's not clear what happened in Gulf of Oman incident
- The largest ship in the Iranian navy caught fire and later sank Wednesday in the Gulf of Oman under unclear circumstances, semiofficial news agencies reported. The Fars and Tasnim news agencies said efforts failed to save the support ship Kharg, named after the island that serves as the main oil...
A Familiar Name Is Apparently
Running for President of Iran
May 12, 2021 1:53 AM CDT
A Familiar Name Is Apparently Running for President of Iran
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is back, maybe
- Iran's state television reported Wednesday that the country's former firebrand president will run again for office in upcoming elections in June, the AP reports. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad reportedly marched accompanied by supporters to a registration center at the Interior Ministry where he filled out registration forms. Ahmadinejad in recent...
Warning Shots at
Speedboats From Iran
May 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
US Fires Warning Shots at Speedboats From Iran
13 Revolutionary Guard speedboats appear to harass US Navy vessels
- A group of 13 armed speedboats of Iran's Revolutionary Guard made “unsafe and unprofessional” high-speed maneuvers toward US Navy vessels in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, and a US Coast Guard cutter fired warning shots when two of the Iranian boats came dangerously close, US officials said....
Iran Has Defiant Response
to Attack on Nuclear Site
Apr 13, 2021 10:33 AM CDT
Iran Has Defiant Response to Attack on Nuclear Site
Tehran will significantly increase its uranium enrichment
- After an attack on one of its nuclear facilities , Iran is more than doubling down. A Tehran official announced Tuesday that the nation will begin enriching uranium to 60%—a significant increase from its earlier mark of 20% and much closer to the 90% required for weapons-grade material, reports the...
Iran Accuses Israel of
Sabotage at Nuclear Plant
Apr 12, 2021 6:52 AM CDT
Iran Accuses Israel of Sabotage at Nuclear Plant
It may have been a cyberattack at the Natanz site
- Iran on Monday blamed Israel for a sabotage attack on its underground Natanz nuclear facility that damaged the centrifuges it uses to enrich uranium there, warning that it would avenge the assault, per the AP . The comments by Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh represent the first official accusation leveled against...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
In Russia, School Shooting Leaves 13 Dead
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
Girl, 12, Shot Father, Self in Murder Pact With Friend: Cops
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.