Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Nuclear Deal Talks
Aug 16, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Iran Issues 'Written Response' in Nuclear Deal Talks
State-run media outlet suggests Tehran won't accept the proposal
- Iran said Tuesday it submitted a “written response” to what has been described as a final roadmap to restore its tattered nuclear deal with world powers, the AP reports. Iran's state-run IRNA news agency offered no details on the substance of its response, but suggested that Tehran still...
Iran Has Something
to Say About
Aug 15, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Iran Has Something to Say About Rushdie Attack
It denies any culpability, says stabbing was the fault of Rushdie himself and his supporters
- As Salman Rushdie appears to be slowly recuperating after last week's stabbing in New York, Iran has its own update, and it's a denial of any culpability. "Regarding the attack on Salman Rushdie, we do not consider anyone other than [Rushdie] and his supporters [worthy] of blame...
in Plot to
Aug 10, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
Iranian Charged in Plot to Kill Bolton
Killing was to be revenge for the death of a Revolutionary Guard commander, officials say
- The US has charged a member of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard with plotting to assassinate former national security adviser John Bolton. Shahram Poursafi, 45, offered late last year to pay $300,000 for the killing, the Daily Beast reports. The Justice Department said in a statement Wednesday that the...
Iran's Nuke Chief Makes
'Rare' Claim on Atomic Bomb
Aug 1, 2022 7:49 AM CDT
Iran's Nuke Chief Makes 'Rare' Claim on Atomic Bomb
Country has capability to build bomb, though it doesn't plan to right now, says Mohammad Eslami
- Iran could build an atomic bomb if it really wanted to—it just doesn't plan to, at least at the moment. So said Mohammad Eslami, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, on Monday, according to the Fars news agency, echoing similar remarks made last month by a...
Executions in Iran
Jul 29, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Executions in Iran Have Doubled
3 women were put to death in one day this week for killing their husbands, rights group reports
- Three women were executed in Iran this week for killing their husbands, a watchdog group says, part of a sharp increase in the use of the death penalty. The government has put twice as many people to death this year as last, the BBC reports—including 32 in the past...
Putin Meets Turkish,
Iranian Leaders in Tehran
Jul 19, 2022 8:35 PM CDT
Putin Meets Turkish, Iranian Leaders in Tehran
Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei blames West for war in Ukraine
- Russian President Vladimir Putin won staunch support from Iran on Tuesday for his country’s military campaign in Ukraine, with Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei saying the West opposes an "independent and strong" Russia. Khamenei said that if Russia hadn’t sent troops into Ukraine, it would have faced an...
Iran: We Could Build a
Nuke If We Wanted To
Jul 18, 2022 2:07 AM CDT
Iran: We Could Build a Nuke If We Wanted To
Comment from Khamenei adviser comes soon after Biden's Middle East trip
- Iran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb, though the country hasn't yet decided whether it will do so, according to a senior adviser to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. "In a few days we were able to enrich uranium up to 60% and we can...
WH Issues a Warning on
Putin's Dealings With Iran
Jul 12, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
WH Issues a Warning on Putin's Dealings With Iran
Russian leader, who'll visit Tehran next week, is said to be turning to Iran for 'hundreds' of drones
- Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit Iran next week, the Kremlin said Tuesday, a day after the US warned that Tehran could provide Moscow with drones for its actions in Ukraine. During a trip to Tehran next Tuesday, Putin will attend a trilateral meeting with the leaders of Iran and...
US Navy Warship Fires
Warning Flare at Iran Speedboat
Jun 22, 2022 12:54 AM CDT
US Navy Warship Fires Warning Flare at Iran Speedboat
It's the second 'unsafe' sea incident in 4 months
- A US Navy warship fired a warning flare to wave off an Iranian Revolutionary Guard speedboat coming straight at it during a tense encounter in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, officials said Tuesday. The incident on Monday involving the Guard and the Navy comes as tensions remain high over stalled...
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death
for Endangered Resident
Apr 27, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
In Iran, 'Heartbreaking' Death for Endangered Resident
Arrests have been made after authorities say villagers in Iran tortured, killed brown bear
- Authorities in Iran have made arrests after the "horrible" killing Sunday of an endangered brown bear by villagers in Ardabil province, per the BBC. State news agencies reported that villagers chased the bear, beat it, and trapped it with a tractor, fracturing the animal's leg and pelvis and...
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now
Accused of Plagiarism
Apr 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now Accused of Plagiarism
At issue: Asghar Farhadi's film 'A Hero'
- Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi took home Oscars in 2012 and 2017 in the best international feature category. His 2021 film,
managed to win the grand prize at Cannes—but also land him in court to fend off allegations of plagiarism. The director has been accused by former film...
After 6 Years
Detained in Iran,
She's Back Home
With Daughter, 7
Mar 17, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
After 6 Years Detained in Iran, She's Back Home With Daughter, 7
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are released
After years in detention in Iran, two British-Iranian nationals are back in the UK. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori were released Wednesday and arrived home early Thursday, following months of negotiations between the UK and Iran, the BBC reports. In a photo shared by Ashoori's daughter, Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 43,...
Iran Fires Missile Barrage
Near US Facility in Iraq
Mar 13, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Iran Fires Missile Barrage Near US Facility in Iraq
It's seen as an escalation of tension between Washington and Tehran
- Iran has claimed responsibility for a missile barrage that struck early Sunday near a sprawling US consulate complex in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil, saying it was retaliation for an Israeli strike in Syria that killed two members of its Revolutionary Guard. No injuries were reported in the attack,...
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
Families of Canadians Killed in
Jet Downed by Iran Get $84M
Jan 4, 2022 1:37 AM CST
Families of Canadians Killed in Jet Downed by Iran Get $84M
Iran shot down the flight in early 2020
Families of six of the Canadians killed in a January 2020 shooting down of a Ukraine International Airlines flight in Iran have been awarded $107 million Canadian (approximately $84 million), plus interest, in compensation. A Canadian court awarded the money, and it's not clear how it will actually...
Iran Says It Launched
3 'Research Devices'
Dec 30, 2021 5:11 AM CST
Iran Says It Launched 3 'Research Devices'
It's not clear whether satellites made it into orbit
- After years of failures, Iran said Thursday that it had successfully launched three research devices from its satellite-carrying Simorgh rocket. The Iranian Space Agency launch was confirmed by the country's defense ministry, though it's not clear whether the satellites actually reached orbit,
reports. The country's...
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 PM CST
Iranian Men Charged With US Election Interference
Goals of online campaign were confusion and intimidation, officials say
- Two suspected Iranian computer hackers have been charged with election interference, accused of trying to intimidate American voters ahead of last year's US presidential election by sending threatening messages and spreading disinformation, the AP reports. The effort attracted publicity in the run-up to the November 2020 election, when law...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Iran Provincial Governor
Slapped at Own Inauguration
Oct 23, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Iran Provincial Governor Slapped at Own Inauguration
Security breached by man suspected of having a personal dispute with new governor
- The new governor of a northwestern Iranian province was slapped in the face by an angry man during his inauguration Saturday, an unusual breach of security in the Islamic Republic during a ceremony attended by the country's interior minister. A motive for the attack in Iran's Eastern Azerbaijan...
He Became President, Then
Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Oct 9, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
He Became President, Then Was Betrayed by Ayatollah
Abolhassan Banisadr, first Iranian president after 1979 revolution, dies at 88
- Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first president after the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution who fled Tehran after being impeached for challenging the growing power of clerics as the nation became a theocracy, died Saturday, reports the AP . He was 88. Banisadr's family said in a statement online Saturday that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Everybody's Talking About 'Quiet Quitting'
Captain at Kobe Bryant Crash Leaves Stand 3 Times
She Was Gardening Before She Was Killed by an Alligator
Actor Pearlman's Cause of Death Revealed
Rand Paul Brings New Attention to Espionage Act
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.