Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Man Who Helped
Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing
Well in Prison: Lawyers
Feb 4, 2022 8:55 AM CST
US Man Who Helped Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing Well in Prison: Lawyers
Michael Taylor, who aided Nissan chair's escape from Japan, reportedly got frostbite in Fuchu jail
The American dad sentenced to two years in a Fuchu prison for helping Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape Japan is suffering behind bars, according to his legal team. One of Michael Taylor's US-based attorneys, Paul Kelly, tells the
New York Times
the facility's lack of heating led...
US Turns Over
of Nissan Boss
Mar 1, 2021 4:45 PM CST
US Turns Over 2 Americans in Smuggling of Nissan Boss
Father and son tried to avoid extradition in Carlos Ghosn case
- An American father and son wanted by Japan for helping former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape from the country in a box were handed over to Japanese custody Monday, ending their monthslong battle to stay in the US. Michael Taylor and his son, Peter Taylor, failed to persuade US officials...
2 Americans Arrested
Over Ghosn Escape
May 20, 2020 12:22 PM CDT
2 Americans Arrested Over Ghosn Escape
Ex-Green Beret, son face extradition to Japan
- A former Green Beret and his son have been arrested in Massachusetts in connection with former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn's escape from Japan —and prosecutors say it would be a very bad idea to release Michael and Peter Taylor on bail during extradition proceedings. "Michael Taylor is...
Nissan to Ghosn:
Pony Up $91M
Feb 12, 2020 5:01 AM CST
Nissan to Ghosn: Pony Up $91M
Automaker sues, citing 'years of misconduct and fraudulent activity' by Carlos Ghosn
- Nissan filed a civil suit Wednesday seeking $91 million in damages from the Japanese automaker's former Chairman Carlos Ghosn, reports the AP . Nissan Motor Co. filed the case in Yokohama District Court to recoup some of the monetary damages suffered, it said, “as a result of years of...
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan?
He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Jan 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan? He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Ex-Nissan boss gives his first press conference since escaping the country
- In his first press conference given since his clandestine exit from Japan, Carlos Ghosn cleared one thing up on Wednesday: No, there's no Netflix show in the works about his dramatic exit. But Ghosn certainly brought the drama in the lengthy press conference given in Beirut, likening his November...
Now Japan's Going
After Ghosn's Wife
Jan 7, 2020 5:01 AM CST
Now Japan's Going After Ghosn's Wife
Carole Ghosn suspected of making false statements in court
- Fugitive Carlos Ghosn will have a new complaint to discuss at his Wednesday press conference in Beirut. On the eve of that press conference, Tokyo prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for Ghosn's wife, accused of perjury. Fashion entrepreneur Carole Ghosn is suspected of making false statements during a witness...
Ghosn, Hidden in Box,
Exploited Airport Security Flaw
Jan 6, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Ghosn, Hidden in Box, Exploited Airport Security Flaw
There was no mandatory check on luggage for private planes
- Reports that Carlos Ghosn escaped Japan in a musical instrument box were pretty close to the truth. The former Nissan executive facing charges of financial wrongdoing hid in a large black box designed for concert equipment, with breathing holes poked in the bottom, reports the
Wall Street Journal
, citing sources...
Ghosn Could Face More
Serious Trouble in Lebanon
Jan 3, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Ghosn Could Face More Serious Trouble in Lebanon
Lawyers accuse him of collaborating with the enemy, Israel
- Lebanon might not be the safe haven Japan's most high-profile criminal defendant sought. A group of lawyers has filed a complaint with the country's judiciary, claiming Carlos Ghosn—a citizen of France, Lebanon, and Brazil—violated a law against collaborating with the enemy when he formerly visited Israel,...
Interpol Issues 'Red Notice'
for Escaped Ghosn
Jan 2, 2020 11:42 AM CST
Interpol Issues 'Red Notice' for Escaped Ghosn
Lebanon will question fugitive CEO as a result, but it is not compelled to arrest him
- News outlets, not to mention the government of Japan, are still trying to piece together how former Nissan exec Carlos Ghosn slipped out of the country ahead of his trial and made it to Lebanon. By most accounts, Ghosn was smuggled onto a private jet to Turkey then flew to...
Fugitive CEO's Wife:
'Best Gift of My Life'
Jan 1, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Fugitive CEO's Wife: 'Best Gift of My Life'
Carole Ghosn happy her husband escaped, is believed to have played a role
- It will take a while to figure out exactly how former Nissan exec Carlos Ghosn managed to jump bail in Japan and flee to Lebanon , but the
Wall Street Journal
reports that his wife played a big role in the escape. "Best gift of my life," she texted...
This Might Be How
Carlos Ghosn Flew the Coop
Dec 31, 2019 12:50 PM CST
This Might Be How Carlos Ghosn Flew the Coop
Reports suggest he hid in a box meant for a musical instrument aboard plane
- Former Nissan exec Carlos Ghosn stunned authorities in Japan by fleeing to Lebanon to escape a trial over alleged financial misconduct. But how? Nothing has been confirmed, but Business Insider cites multiple reports that Ghosn hid in a box made for a musical instrument on his escape flight. One of...
Ex-Nissan Boss Jumps Bail,
Somehow Flees Japan
Dec 31, 2019 3:34 AM CST
Ex-Nissan Boss Jumps Bail, Somehow Flees Japan
'I have escaped injustice,' Ghosn says
- Authorities in Japan might be regretting their decision to grant bail to former Nissan and Renault chief Carlos Ghosn earlier this year. He has fled the country and is now in Lebanon, which does not extradite its citizens, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's not clear how Ghosn managed...
At 'Extraordinary' Meeting,
More Bad News for Ghosn
Apr 8, 2019 12:00 AM CDT
At 'Extraordinary' Meeting, More Bad News for Ghosn
Nissan's fallen chairman is officially ousted from board by shareholders
- Nissan shareholders approved on Monday the ouster from the Japanese automaker's board of former chairman Carlos Ghosn, who faces allegations of financial misconduct. The approval was shown by applause from the more than 4,000 people gathered at a Tokyo hotel for a three-hour extraordinary shareholders' meeting, the AP...
Ghosn Calls His Unusual
Apr 4, 2019 1:21 AM CDT
Ghosn Calls His Unusual Re-Arrest 'Outrageous'
Ex-Nissan boss is back behind bars
- Former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is back in the Tokyo Detention Center after what legal experts say was a highly unusual re-arrest of somebody out on bail. Ghosn—who was released on $8.9 million bail almost a month ago after 108 days in custody—was detained Thursday on suspicion...
The Blue Hat Was Part of
a Disguise. It Didn't Work
Mar 8, 2019 7:31 AM CST
The Blue Hat Was Part of a Disguise. It Didn't Work
Carlos Ghosn's lawyer apologized for what he says was his idea
- Former Nissan chair Carlos Ghosn was released on a staggering bail on Wednesday, and he didn't walk out of the Tokyo Detention Center looking exactly like Carlos Ghosn. He was disguised as a construction worker, per the AP , only the disguise didn't work, and now one of his...
Ex-Nissan Boss Released
on Breathtaking Bail Sum
Mar 5, 2019 12:24 AM CST
Ex-Nissan Boss Released on Breathtaking Bail Sum
Lawyer questions grounds for Ghosn arrest
- The Tokyo District Court approved the release of former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn on 1 billion yen—$8.9 million—bail on Tuesday, ending nearly four months of detention. The acceptance of Ghosn's request for bail, his third, came a day after one of his lawyers said he was...
Jailed Auto Boss Says
Execs Plotted Against Him
Jan 31, 2019 12:03 AM CST
Jailed Auto Boss Says Execs Plotted Against Him
Ghosn says he's a victim of 'treason'
- Jailed former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn says he's the innocent victim of treacherous rivals at the company. In an interview with Nikkei Asian Review —his first since his Nov. 19 arrest—Ghosn said he is certain the financial misconduct charges against him are the result of "plot...
Jailed Nissan Exec
Makes Unusual Bail Plea
Jan 21, 2019 6:17 AM CST
Jailed Nissan Exec Makes Unusual Bail Plea
Carlos Ghosn promises to pay for own ankle bracelet and related security
- Former auto exec Carlos Ghosn made another long-shot appeal for bail on Monday, one that came with an unusual twist: He offered to pay for his own ankle bracelet as well as security guards to keep an eye on him, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Ghosn, the former chairman of...
Wife: Ex-Nissan Boss
Treated Harshly in Jail
Jan 15, 2019 7:23 AM CST
Wife: Ex-Nissan Boss Treated Harshly in Jail
She says he lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks
- Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn may be spending another six months in a jail cell in Japan, despite his wife's claim that he is being subjected to "cruel and inhumane" treatment. In a letter to Human Rights Watch, Carole Ghosn said her 64-year-old husband lost 15 pounds in...
Defiant Auto Exec
Makes His Case in Court
Jan 8, 2019 6:28 AM CST
Defiant Auto Exec Makes His Case in Court
Carlos Ghosn: 'I have been wrongly accused'
- Just a few months ago, Carlos Ghosn was one of the most powerful executives in the auto industry. On Tuesday, however, he appeared in a Tokyo courtroom wearing plastic prison slippers and a rope around his waist instead of a belt, reports the BBC . Ghosn, the 64-year-old former Nissan chairman,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.