Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bitten 41 Times
by Rabid Otter
Sep 28, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Otter also attacked dog before being captured
- A Florida man was feeding ducks and geese at a pond near his yard when suddenly all the birds flew away. Joseph Scaglione was confused, seeing no hawk in the area, but then he noticed an otter in the pond. He backed away toward the gate to his yard, but...
Girl as She
Jul 14, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Huge, Rabid Beaver Attacks Girl as She Swims
Her father beat the animal to death after Georgia attack
- A young girl swimming in a Georgia lake was attacked by a rabid beaver Monday afternoon. The 55-pound animal bit her leg as she swam at Lake Lanier,
reports. Her father "intervened and killed the beaver using blunt-force trauma," according to a statement from Hall County...
Western First: Man
Was Bit by Rabid Bat,
Treated, Died Anyway
Apr 4, 2023 10:38 AM CDT
Western First: Man Was Bit by Rabid Bat, Treated, Died Anyway
Experts describe 'extremely rare' case in man with 'unrecognized immune deficiency'
- A Minnesota man has the awful distinction of becoming the first person given post-exposure treatment for rabies to die regardless, at least in the Western Hemisphere. An article published Wednesday in
Clinical Infectious Diseases
describes "the first reported infection of rabies virus in a person who received timely and...
His Own Fox Bite Inspires
Congressman to Pen New Bill
Sep 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
His Own Fox Bite Inspires Congressman to Pen New Bill
Rep. Ami Bera wants to make vaccine less expensive for uninsured Americans
- According to government estimates, as many as 60,000 Americans need a rabies vaccine each year. Democratic California Rep. Ami Bera was one of them. Bera was one of numerous people who suffered a fox bite on Capitol Hill in April. A fox was captured and euthanized after testing positive...
Aug 26, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
US Air-Drops Rabies Vaccine
Intent is to prevent the spread to more states
- The US Department of Agriculture has begun scattering millions of packets of oral rabies vaccine from helicopters and planes over 13 states from Maine to Alabama. The major aim is to keep raccoons from spreading their strain of the deadly virus to states where it hasn't been found or...
A Truly Vicious
Rabid Fox Attack
Is Caught on Video
Aug 26, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
A Truly Vicious Rabid Fox Attack Is Caught on Video
Sherri Russo suffered 16 wounds
- A bite from a rabid animal is a dangerous thing. Sherri Russo suffered many magnitudes of that. The Ithaca, New York, woman was attacked in her yard by a rabid fox last month and suffered 16 wounds, in a vicious and relentless attack caught on video surveillance . The 61-year-old was...
For Anteater in Tennessee
Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Apr 15, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
For Anteater in Tennessee Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Rabies has never been seen in this species before; anteater may have brought it from Va. to Tenn.
- A rabies variant not usually seen in Tennessee apparently found its way there via Virginia, and a captive anteater is getting the blame. A CDC report published Friday cites the case of a particular southern tamandua, aka lesser anteater (even fancier name:
), that may have exposed more than...
3 People Failed to Get
Rabies Shots, a Fatal Mistake
Jan 6, 2022 4:20 PM CST
3 People Failed to Get Rabies Shots, a Fatal Mistake
They were among 5 US deaths last year, the most in a decade
- Five Americans died of rabies last year—the largest number in a decade—and health officials said Thursday that some of the people didn't realize they had been infected or refused life-saving shots. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report on three of the deaths, all...
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
Nov 26, 2021 1:19 PM CST
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
You'll need valid US vaccination certificate to get your pooch home from 113 countries
Six weeks after banning the importation of dogs from 113 countries over fears of fraudulent rabies vaccination certificates, the CDC is bending a little. It will now allow dogs to return to the US from those countries as long as they are healthy, microchipped, at least six months old,...
Illinois Man Who
Dies of Rabies
Sep 29, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Illinois Man Who Refused Treatment Dies of Rabies
Thomas Krob reportedly awoke last month to find a bat on his neck
- Illinois' first human case of rabies in 67 years turned into a fatal one. An elderly Lake County resident who awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck has died of the disease after declining medical treatment, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The man—identified...
Two Attacked by Rabid Fox
at Virginia Theme Park
Jul 11, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Two Attacked by Rabid Fox at Virginia Theme Park
The fox was captured and died shortly after the attack
- Last week, two people were attacked by a rabid fox at a Virginia theme park. The fox was found quickly, and died not long after it was captured, per the
. The local health district advised that rabies is preventable and treatable and recommended people vaccinate their pets and...
Feds Are Banning Dogs
From 113 Countries
Jun 15, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
Feds Are Banning Dogs From 113 Countries
CDC says there has been a rise in fake rabies vaccination certificates
- Dogs from more than 100 countries will be
canis non grata
under new rabies prevention measures announced by federal authorities this week. The CDC says that under measures set to take effect July 14, dogs from 113 countries , including Russia, China, and Colombia, will be banned from entering the US...
She Left Doggy Door
Open for Her Pet.
Something Else Got In
in case you missed it
Jul 26, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
She Left Doggy Door Open for Her Pet. Something Else Got In
Julie Loflin of Greensboro, NC, holds onto rabid fox for 12 minutes after it attacks her in bed
- A North Carolina woman is shaken after a weekend encounter with an unwelcome visitor. WGHP reports Julie Loflin was settled in her bed last Sunday night when she saw a discomforting sight: a fox slip into her home from the patio through a doggy door used by her 9-year-old beagle,...
After Attack on Son,
Dad Kills Coyote
With His Bare Hands
Jan 21, 2020 6:11 AM CST
After Attack on Son, Dad Kills Coyote With His Bare Hands
'It was very much the aggressor,' NH father says
- A New Hampshire father took his family for a hike on Monday and ended up killing an apparently rabid coyote with his bare hands. Police say Ian O'Reilly went into "protection mode and suffocated the coyote until it succumbed" after the animal attacked his 2-year-old son on a...
Bat 'Ran Into His Hand.'
Weeks Later, He Was Dead
Jul 17, 2019 1:08 PM CDT
Bat 'Ran Into His Hand.' Weeks Later, He Was Dead
British Columbia man died from rabies
- Nick Major was spending time outside on Vancouver Island in mid-May when a bat "essentially ran into his hand," according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. It's atypical to encounter a bat in the daylight, but apparently Major saw no cause for concern right away. Six...
She Saved a
Stray. Then, What
Seen in 200 Years
May 10, 2019 1:53 PM CDT
She Saved a Stray. Then, What Norway Hasn't Seen in 200 Years
Birgitte Kallestad died of rabies 2 months after she played with pup in the Philippines
- What should have been a feel-good story has since turned tragic. The BBC reports on the turn of events that started in the Philippines in February, where 24-year-old Birgitte Kallestad was on vacation with friends. Per a statement given to the
, via the
New York Post
, Kallestad and...
Injures 3 in Florida
Jan 17, 2019 5:02 AM CST
'Aggressive' Otter Injures 3 in Florida
'The scariest part was that it didn’t let go'
- Otters aren't the first animal to come to mind when most people think of dangerous Florida wildlife—but a run-in with an aggressive and probably rabid one left a woman temporarily unable to walk. Maitland resident Ann-Christine Langselius tells Fox News that she was walking her Goldendoodle on a...
Cat in Morocco Sends British
Man Home With Fatal Virus
Nov 12, 2018 5:00 PM CST
Cat in Morocco Sends British Man Home With Fatal Virus
The victim died of rabies after a bite while abroad
- A British man is dead after authorities say he sustained a bite from a rabid cat while traveling abroad. Per the BBC , the unnamed victim became infected with rabies in Morocco and died after returning home to Britain. The
reports the transmission occurred several weeks ago and that the...
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and
Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Nov 9, 2018 1:22 PM CST
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Gary Giles first person to die from rabies in Utah since 1944
- Gary Giles and his wife, Juanita, would often use their hands to catch the bats that would end up flying around inside their home in Moroni, Utah, and they never had any issues. "The bats would lick our fingers, almost like they could taste the saltiness of our fingers,...
A Rabid Fox
Attacked Her in
Her Yard: 'I Had
to Do Something'
Jul 26, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
A Rabid Fox Attacked Her in Her Yard: 'I Had to Do Something'
New Jersey's Tammy DuBois strangled it with one hand
- A woman trying to fend off a rabid fox that was biting her in the leg reached down with one hand to hold shut its mouth and with the other strangled it, the AP reports. "I couldn't do anything else to get it away from me," Tammy...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.