Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For Anteater in Tennessee
Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Apr 15, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
For Anteater in Tennessee Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Rabies has never been seen in this species before; anteater may have brought it from Va. to Tenn.
- A rabies variant not usually seen in Tennessee apparently found its way there via Virginia, and a captive anteater is getting the blame. A CDC report published Friday cites the case of a particular southern tamandua, aka lesser anteater (even fancier name:
), that may have exposed more than...
3 People Failed to Get
Rabies Shots, a Fatal Mistake
Jan 6, 2022 4:20 PM CST
3 People Failed to Get Rabies Shots, a Fatal Mistake
They were among 5 US deaths last year, the most in a decade
- Five Americans died of rabies last year—the largest number in a decade—and health officials said Thursday that some of the people didn't realize they had been infected or refused life-saving shots. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report on three of the deaths, all...
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
Nov 26, 2021 1:19 PM CST
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
You'll need valid US vaccination certificate to get your pooch home from 113 countries
Six weeks after banning the importation of dogs from 113 countries over fears of fraudulent rabies vaccination certificates, the CDC is bending a little. It will now allow dogs to return to the US from those countries as long as they are healthy, microchipped, at least six months old,...
Illinois Man Who
Dies of Rabies
Sep 29, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Illinois Man Who Refused Treatment Dies of Rabies
Thomas Krob reportedly awoke last month to find a bat on his neck
- Illinois' first human case of rabies in 67 years turned into a fatal one. An elderly Lake County resident who awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck has died of the disease after declining medical treatment, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The man—identified...
Two Attacked by Rabid Fox
at Virginia Theme Park
Jul 11, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Two Attacked by Rabid Fox at Virginia Theme Park
The fox was captured and died shortly after the attack
- Last week, two people were attacked by a rabid fox at a Virginia theme park. The fox was found quickly, and died not long after it was captured, per the
. The local health district advised that rabies is preventable and treatable and recommended people vaccinate their pets and...
Feds Are Banning Dogs
From 113 Countries
Jun 15, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
Feds Are Banning Dogs From 113 Countries
CDC says there has been a rise in fake rabies vaccination certificates
- Dogs from more than 100 countries will be
canis non grata
under new rabies prevention measures announced by federal authorities this week. The CDC says that under measures set to take effect July 14, dogs from 113 countries , including Russia, China, and Colombia, will be banned from entering the US...
She Left Doggy Door
Open for Her Pet.
Something Else Got In
in case you missed it
Jul 26, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
She Left Doggy Door Open for Her Pet. Something Else Got In
Julie Loflin of Greensboro, NC, holds onto rabid fox for 12 minutes after it attacks her in bed
- A North Carolina woman is shaken after a weekend encounter with an unwelcome visitor. WGHP reports Julie Loflin was settled in her bed last Sunday night when she saw a discomforting sight: a fox slip into her home from the patio through a doggy door used by her 9-year-old beagle,...
After Attack on Son,
Dad Kills Coyote
With His Bare Hands
Jan 21, 2020 6:11 AM CST
After Attack on Son, Dad Kills Coyote With His Bare Hands
'It was very much the aggressor,' NH father says
- A New Hampshire father took his family for a hike on Monday and ended up killing an apparently rabid coyote with his bare hands. Police say Ian O'Reilly went into "protection mode and suffocated the coyote until it succumbed" after the animal attacked his 2-year-old son on a...
Bat 'Ran Into His Hand.'
Weeks Later, He Was Dead
Jul 17, 2019 1:08 PM CDT
Bat 'Ran Into His Hand.' Weeks Later, He Was Dead
British Columbia man died from rabies
- Nick Major was spending time outside on Vancouver Island in mid-May when a bat "essentially ran into his hand," according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. It's atypical to encounter a bat in the daylight, but apparently Major saw no cause for concern right away. Six...
She Saved a
Stray. Then, What
Seen in 200 Years
May 10, 2019 1:53 PM CDT
She Saved a Stray. Then, What Norway Hasn't Seen in 200 Years
Birgitte Kallestad died of rabies 2 months after she played with pup in the Philippines
- What should have been a feel-good story has since turned tragic. The BBC reports on the turn of events that started in the Philippines in February, where 24-year-old Birgitte Kallestad was on vacation with friends. Per a statement given to the
, via the
New York Post
, Kallestad and...
Injures 3 in Florida
Jan 17, 2019 5:02 AM CST
'Aggressive' Otter Injures 3 in Florida
'The scariest part was that it didn’t let go'
- Otters aren't the first animal to come to mind when most people think of dangerous Florida wildlife—but a run-in with an aggressive and probably rabid one left a woman temporarily unable to walk. Maitland resident Ann-Christine Langselius tells Fox News that she was walking her Goldendoodle on a...
Cat in Morocco Sends British
Man Home With Fatal Virus
Nov 12, 2018 5:00 PM CST
Cat in Morocco Sends British Man Home With Fatal Virus
The victim died of rabies after a bite while abroad
- A British man is dead after authorities say he sustained a bite from a rabid cat while traveling abroad. Per the BBC , the unnamed victim became infected with rabies in Morocco and died after returning home to Britain. The
reports the transmission occurred several weeks ago and that the...
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and
Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Nov 9, 2018 1:22 PM CST
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Gary Giles first person to die from rabies in Utah since 1944
- Gary Giles and his wife, Juanita, would often use their hands to catch the bats that would end up flying around inside their home in Moroni, Utah, and they never had any issues. "The bats would lick our fingers, almost like they could taste the saltiness of our fingers,...
A Rabid Fox
Attacked Her in
Her Yard: 'I Had
to Do Something'
Jul 26, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
A Rabid Fox Attacked Her in Her Yard: 'I Had to Do Something'
New Jersey's Tammy DuBois strangled it with one hand
- A woman trying to fend off a rabid fox that was biting her in the leg reached down with one hand to hold shut its mouth and with the other strangled it, the AP reports. "I couldn't do anything else to get it away from me," Tammy...
Her Baby Raccoon Rescue
Goes Spectacularly Wrong
Jul 8, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
Her Baby Raccoon Rescue Goes Spectacularly Wrong
Woman and 20 of her friends need rabies shots after she takes in abandoned animal
- A woman recently brought a cute baby raccoon into her Colorado home, causing an ugly situation, officials said last week. According to authorities in Weld County, the woman brought in the abandoned animal, which ended up testing positive for rabies. Subsequently, 21 people had to be preemptively treated for rabies...
in Rash of
Mar 5, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Coyote Involved in Rash of NY Attacks Had Rabies
6 people were attacked, animals were attacked and killed
- Over a 24-hour period last week, a coyote or coyotes attacked multiple people, killed a dog, and may have mauled three sheep—one fatally—in Yonkers and surrounding areas of New York. Now authorities say a coyote believed to have been involved was rabid. The coyote was captured and killed...
6-Year-Old Got a Scratch,
Died Weeks Later
Jan 16, 2018 8:58 AM CST
6-Year-Old Got a Scratch, Died Weeks Later
Ryker Roque contracted rabies after sticking hand in bucket with infected bat
- Ryker Roque told his friends his father could "fix anything." Rabies was one thing that proved beyond him. Six-year-old Ryker died at a Florida hospital Sunday, weeks after putting his hand in a bucket holding a bat his father had found, reports NBC News . Henry Roque says he...
Maine Woman Drowns Rabid
Raccoon With Bare Hands
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 18, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
Maine Woman Drowns Rabid Raccoon With Bare Hands
'Imagine the Tasmanian devil,' says Rachel Borch
- Rachel Borch was out for a jog in the woods near her home in Hope, Maine, when a "ferocious-looking" attacker with beady eyes and tiny teeth made a beeline for her, reports the
. Borch, 21, knew immediately that something was wrong with the raccoon that was charging...
Salad Mix Included
a Bat: Report
Apr 9, 2017 7:31 AM CDT
Salad Mix Included a Bat: Report
CDC can't rule out rabies; 2 people in Florida being treated
- A bag of salad mix went a little heavier on the "mix" than the "salad," reports CNN . Two people in Florida are now being treated for rabies exposure after finding a dead bat in a bag of Fresh Express Organic Marketside Spring Mix. Just in case you...
Vampire Bats Now
Feasting on Human Blood
Jan 16, 2017 8:58 AM CST
Vampire Bats Now Feasting on Human Blood
Scientists in Brazil say they're evolving because of a decline in birds
- Human encroachment typically means bad news for a given species (recent examples include giraffes and cheetahs ), but one mammal appears to be fighting back. Researchers say the hairy-legged vampire bat has adapted surprisingly fast from drinking the blood of birds to that of humans to survive, reports the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.