Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist
in Custody After Her Escape
Nov 9, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist in Custody After Her Escape
Pieper Lewis, who fled from a Des Moines women's center, didn't go far
- Pieper Lewis is back in custody. The 18-year-old Iowa sex trafficking victim who on Friday fled a Des Moines women's center where she was serving five years of probation for the killing of her alleged rapist was found in Des Moines and booked into Polk County Jail on Tuesday....
Iowa Teens Upset About a Bad
Grade Allegedly Killed Teacher
Nov 2, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Iowa Teens Upset About a Bad Grade Allegedly Killed Teacher
It's the first time a possible motive has been revealed in teacher's slaying
- Two Iowa teenagers killed their high school Spanish teacher last year because of frustration over a bad grade, prosecutors said Tuesday in court documents that for the first time reveal a possible motive. The documents were filed ahead of a hearing Wednesday where a judge will hear arguments on whether...
Woman: My Dad Was
Serial Killer; I Helped
Bury the Bodies
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Woman: My Dad Was Serial Killer; I Helped Bury the Bodies
Cadaver dogs have registered hits on former Iowa property of the late Donald Studey
- Lucy Studey isn't the first person to claim their father was a serial killer. (See here , here , and here .) But she's one of the few who says she's knows where the evidence lies. How? She says she helped him bury the bodies. Iowa authorities are now...
Donations Pour In
for Girl Who Must Pay
Accused Rapist's Family
Sep 14, 2022 3:22 PM CDT
Donations Pour In for Girl Who Must Pay Accused Rapist's Family
Fundraiser for Pieper Lewis raised more than $200K in 24 hours
- On Tuesday, teenage human trafficking victim Pieper Lewis was ordered to pay $150,000 to the family of her accused rapist, a 37-year-old Iowa man she stabbed to death in 2020. On Wednesday, a GoFundMe campaign set up to help her hit $150,000—and kept going, reaching $230,000...
Teen Who Killed
Ordered to Pay
Sep 14, 2022 5:53 AM CDT
Teen Who Killed Alleged Rapist Ordered to Pay Restitution
Pieper Lewis was a victim of human trafficking in Iowa
- A teenage human trafficking victim who was initially charged with first-degree murder after she stabbed her accused rapist to death was sentenced Tuesday in an Iowa court to five years of closely supervised probation and ordered to pay $150,000 restitution to the man’s family. Pieper Lewis, 17, was...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Suspected State Park Shooter
Was Camping With His Parents
Jul 25, 2022 10:41 AM CDT
Suspected State Park Shooter Was Camping With His Parents
There is still no motive in murders at Maquoketa Caves
- "It's hard not to cry right now. I hope everybody gets a good night's sleep. We need it." So wrote Rob Green, the mayor of Cedar Falls, Iowa, on Facebook Saturday night in the wake of a triple murder at Maquoketa Caves State Park . Cedar Falls'...
Campers Slain at State Park
Were Couple, 6-Year-Old
Jul 23, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Campers Slain at State Park Were Couple, 6-Year-Old
Boy, 9, survived the shooting
: The victims of a fatal shooting Friday in a Iowa state park were a Cedar Falls couple and their 6-year-old daughter, officials said, in what appears to have been a random attack. The bodies of Tyler Schmidt, 42; his wife, Sarah Schmidt, 42; and their daughter, Lula, were found...
She Won Big at the Casino.
Her Drive Home Was Terrifying
Jul 22, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
She Won Big at the Casino. Her Drive Home Was Terrifying
Authorities say Iowa man ran woman's car off road, stole the $18K she'd just won
- What should've been a night of celebration turned into a night of terror for an Iowa woman who'd just won $18,000 at an Iowa casino. One suspect has since been arrested. According to a criminal complaint, 30-year-old Timothy Spencer of Berwick witnessed the woman hit it big...
Visitor to Iowa Infected by
'Worst Parasite in the World'
Jul 11, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Visitor to Iowa Infected by 'Worst Parasite in the World'
Health officials testing lake in Taylor County after Missouri resident infected by brain-eating amoeba
- A lake beach in southwest Iowa has been temporarily shuttered after a visitor from a neighboring state was infected by a rare but dangerous brain-eating amoeba. A Friday release from the Iowa Department of Public Health notes that the beach at Lake of Three Fires State Park is currently off-limits...
Man Fatally Shoots 2 Females
Outside Iowa Megachurch
Jun 3, 2022 12:33 AM CDT
Man Fatally Shoots 2 Females Outside Iowa Megachurch
Then dies of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound
- A man shot two females to death and then apparently killed himself Thursday night outside a church in Ames, Iowa, the AP reports. The man killed the two females in the parking lot of the Cornerstone Church, a megachurch on the outskirts of Ames, Story County Sheriff's Office Capt....
Lottery Winner: Clerk's
'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Apr 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Lottery Winner: Clerk's 'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Iowa's Josh Buster won $1M
- An Iowa man says a miscue made by a convenience store clerk led to his $1 million jackpot. Josh Buster asked for five "easy-pick" plays at a store in West Burlington, but the clerk mistakenly printed just one, reports CNN . The clerk asked the 40-year-old chef if he wanted...
Biden to End Summer
Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
Apr 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Biden to End Summer Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
New strategy to lower gas prices to be announced Tuesday
- President Biden on Tuesday will announce plans to allow the sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol this summer in a bid to further lower prices at the pump , according to reports. Most gasoline sold contains up to 10% ethanol. The 15% ethanol blend, E15, costs 10 cents less per gallon...
Off Ballot Over
Apr 11, 2022 1:44 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Senate Hopeful Off Ballot Over Signatures
Democratic frontrunner Abby Finkenauer calls the ruling in Iowa 'outrageous'
- Republican Charles Grassley is favored to win his eighth term in the Senate no matter which Democrat he faces in the upcoming election. But his path to victory may have just gotten easier because of a court ruling against Democratic frontrunner Abby Finkenauer, reports CNN . A judge in Iowa ruled...
Feds: We Caught Man Who
Faked His Own Death in 2016
Apr 6, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Feds: We Caught Man Who Faked His Own Death in 2016
Jacob Greer arrested six years after allegedly writing a suicide note
- An Iowa man who "faked his own death" to avoid standing trial on child pornography charges has been arrested some six years after the fact, authorities say. "The arrest of Jacob Greer after six years is a testament to the tenacity of Deputy US Marshals and our investigative...
Police: Teenagers Killed
Teacher With Baseball Bat
Mar 23, 2022 5:29 PM CDT
Police: Teenagers Killed Teacher With Baseball Bat
Iowa judge unseals details included in search warrant filing
- Two southeast Iowa teenagers used a baseball bat last fall to kill their high school Spanish teacher, and one of them described in social media posts how they followed the woman, carried out the attack, and hid her body, police allege in court documents publicly released Tuesday. A judge on...
6 Teens Charged With
Murder in Iowa Shooting
Mar 8, 2022 9:20 AM CST
6 Teens Charged With Murder in Iowa Shooting
15-year-old boy was killed in Des Moines, and 2 others were wounded
Six teens have been charged with murder in Monday's fatal shooting outside a Des Moines high school, reports the
Des Moines Register
. Police didn't indicate a motive, but they say the 15-year-old boy killed in the drive-by shooting was the intended target. Two young women, ages 16...
Warnings Were Delayed
as Iowa Tornado Approached
Mar 8, 2022 1:06 AM CST
Warnings Were Delayed as Iowa Tornado Approached
But a systems analyst doubts it made much of a difference
- A computer glitch could have turned deadly in Iowa. Before Saturday's tornado outbreak , in which the death toll stands at 7, a government computer system was experiencing an unrelated technical problem that overloaded the network, and National Weather Service warnings were delayed as a result, the
Des Moines Register
Destruction,' a Family
Loses 4 Members
Mar 7, 2022 7:43 AM CST
After 'Unimaginable Destruction,' a Family Loses 4 Members
Tornado in Winterset, Iowa, kills grandma, as well as son-in-law, 2 grandkids visiting from Missouri
- The deadly tornadoes that swept through central Iowa over the weekend caused "unimaginable destruction," per Gov. Kim Reynolds. But for one family, the tragedy hit particularly hard, as four members hiding out in a house in Madison County perished during the storm. KMBC reports that 37-year-old Michael Bolger,...
Leaves 6 Dead in Iowa
Mar 6, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Powerful Tornado Leaves 6 Dead in Iowa
'This is the worst anyone has seen in a very long time'
- Six people were killed Saturday when a tornado swept through central Iowa, damaging buildings and knocking down trees and power lines, authorities said. Emergency management officials in Madison County said four were injured in addition to those killed when the tornado touched down in the area southwest of Des Moines...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.