Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Read the latest news and reports on child abuse cases and reports of physical abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Siblings of Girl Who Died
of Starvation to Get $5M Each
Nov 7, 2023 1:45 PM CST
2 Siblings of Girl Who Died of Starvation to Get $5M Each
Iowa will pay the penalty after Sabrina Ray's death in foster care
- Iowa will pay $10 million to the siblings of an adopted 16-year-old girl who weighed just 56 pounds when she died of starvation in 2017, according to a state board that approved the settlement Monday. Sabrina Ray was severely malnourished when authorities found her body at her home in Perry,...
Children 'Whipped' at
Florida Prep School: Parents
Nov 6, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Children 'Whipped' at Florida Prep School: Parents
8 students reportedly received 3 lashes each at Orlando school
- A group of incensed Florida parents say their children were "whipped" at their prep school in Orlando, Florida, last week. Police responded to Alpha Learning Academy, which is run by the St. Mark AME church, Thursday afternoon in response to the allegations, ClickOrlando reports. Parents say a pastor at...
on 63 Counts
Nov 2, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
California 'Party Mom' Is Indicted on 63 Counts
Shannon O'Connor allegedly supplied booze at parties and encouraged kids as young as 13 to have sex
- A so-called "party mom" who allegedly organized alcohol-fueled parties for young teens during which she encouraged them to have sex was indicted by a grand jury Monday on 20 felony and 43 misdemeanor counts. Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Rebekah Wise said prosecutors decided to present the case...
2 Guilty of Terror Charges
Linked to Boy's Disappearance
Oct 17, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
2 Guilty of Terror Charges Linked to Boy's Disappearance
3-year-old was found dead at New Mexico compound
- Jurors on Tuesday delivered split verdicts in a case that stemmed from the search for a 3-year-old boy who went missing from Georgia and was found dead hundreds of miles away at a squalid compound in northern New Mexico. Four members of the family were on trial. Three were found...
Dad Faces Up to 40 Years
for Locking Son in 'Office'
Oct 13, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Dad Faces Up to 40 Years for Locking Son in 'Office'
Tim Ferriter found guilty of aggravated child abuse, false imprisonment, neglect
- A Florida father accused of locking his adopted son in a makeshift room in his garage was convicted Thursday of child abuse charges. A jury, who heard the boy was locked in the 8-by-8-foot structure for up to 18 hours when he misbehaved, found 48-year-old Tim Ferriter of Jupiter guilty...
Arrested on Child
Sep 1, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
Family YouTuber Arrested on Child Abuse Charges
Viewers have long raised a flag on Utah's Ruby Franke, who offers controversial parenting advice
- A Utah mom of six who became popular on her now-defunct YouTube channel for offering parenting advice has been arrested. The AP reports that 41-year-old Ruby Franke was taken into custody on Wednesday on suspicion of aggravated child abuse at the Ivins home of Jodi Hildebrandt, 54, her business partner,...
Mother Sentenced in Slaying
of Her Newborn in 1992
Aug 23, 2023 5:51 PM CDT
Mother Sentenced in Slaying of Her Newborn in 1992
Infant girl was found in a South Carolina river
- A South Carolina woman was given a life sentence Wednesday in the 1992 death of her newborn daughter. Stacy Michelle Costner Rabon, 50, had been found guilty of homicide by child abuse this month by a York County jury. She'll be eligible for parole in 2031 because she was...
Boy, 7, Charged With Arson
May 26, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Boy, 7, Charged With Arson
Cops say boy was physically abused before setting fire to his home with family members inside
- A 7-year-old boy set fire to his family's home as his parents slept inside, according to West Virginia police, who've laid arson charges against the boy and child abuse charges against his stepfather. The fire erupted around noon Wednesday near Elizabeth, per the AP . The Jackson County Sheriff'...
After Vote on
'It's 1880 in Here'
Mar 15, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
After Vote on School Discipline: 'It's 1880 in Here'
Bill in Oklahoma House on barring corporal punishment against disabled students fails
- It was a close vote in the Oklahoma state House this week, but a measure to bar teachers and staff from using corporal punishment against kids with disabilities failed. Despite GOP Rep. John Talley's best efforts to advance HB1028, which would've kept educators from hitting, spanking, paddling, or...
Feb 23, 2023 2:46 PM CST
Lawmaker Censured for 'Despicable' Child Abuse Remark
Alaska Rep. David Eastman suggested at hearing there may be a cost 'benefit' if child dies from abuse
- Very few people would try to find some sort of silver lining in cases where a child died from abuse. Rep. David Eastman is apparently one of those people, however, and he's now taking flak for his comments made earlier this week in that vein. Per the
He Spent 4 Years Behind Bars
Waiting for This Moment
Jan 14, 2023 6:30 AM CST
He Spent 4 Years Behind Bars Waiting for This Moment
Tyree Bowie was acquitted after being accused of killing a child in Pennsylvania
- Tyree Bowie spent over four years behind bars awaiting trial for a crime he says he didn't commit. Now, a jury in York County, Pennsylvania, has agreed with him, per PennLive , acquitting Bowie of all charges in the death of Dante Mullinix. The boy died in September 2018, a...
A Doctor Reported Child Abuse.
What Followed Was Worse
Oct 30, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
A Doctor Reported Child Abuse. What Followed Was Worse
'The Cut' shares the story of Maya Kowalski and her parents
- Dr. Sally Smith for years worked as a child-abuse pediatrician who headed up the child-protection team in Pinellas County, Florida. She retired in July, and recapped a grim career that included seeing "dozens of children who were literally beaten to death." And in the roughly 3,000 cases...
With 'Scream' Mask
Oct 21, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Daycare Workers Charged After Terrifying Toddlers With 'Scream' Mask
4 were hit with felony child abuse charges, one with misdemeanors
- Five daycare workers have been charged for their alleged involvement in a disturbing video in which one of them wears a "Scream" mask and terrifies the toddlers in their care. Sierra McCandless, Oci-Anna Kilburn, Jennifer Newman, and Shyenne Shelton were each hit with three counts of felony child abuse;...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
Youngest Turpin Siblings Detail
Alleged Abuse in Foster Care
Jul 20, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Youngest Turpin Siblings Detail Alleged Abuse in Foster Care
They claim in suit they were forced to overeat and then eat their own vomit
The six youngest Turpin siblings have sued Riverside County and foster care agency ChildNet, alleging that in the years after their 2018 rescue from their parents' Perris, Calif., home, they were subjected to "severe abuse and neglect" while in foster care. The suit claims the foster family they...
Stepfather Found Guilty in
Case of Boy Rescued by Server
Jun 7, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Stepfather Found Guilty in Case of Boy Rescued by Server
She noticed that severely abused boy wasn't being allowed to eat
: A Florida man has been found guilty of multiple charges in the severe abuse of an 11-year-old boy who was rescued by a quick-thinking restaurant server last year. A jury found 36-year-old Timothy Lee Wilson, the boy's stepfather, guilty on charges including false imprisonment of a child under...
In a First, US Assesses Grim
Toll at Native American Schools
May 11, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
In a First, US Assesses Grim Toll at Native American Schools
At least 500, and probably thousands, of children taken from their families died, report says
- For the first time, the federal government has assessed and acknowledged the harm done to Native American children at boarding schools it backed or ran throughout most of the 19th and 20th centuries. A report released Wednesday by the Interior Department said the children were subjected to sexual abuse, whippings,...
Solo to Go for Treatment,
Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
Apr 30, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Solo to Go for Treatment, Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
'My energies and focus are totally directed to my health, healing, and taking care of my family'
Hope Solo has asked the National Soccer Hall of Fame to delay her induction until next year, announcing that she's going for help for her alcohol issues, per ESPN . In a Friday tweet , the soccer star requested the induction be postponed until 2023, noting she'll be "...
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son.
But She's the One Behind Bars
in case you missed it
Feb 20, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son. But She's the One Behind Bars
Rebecca Hogue sentenced to 16 months under Oklahoma's failure to protect law
- An Oklahoma woman will ultimately spend more than a year in jail for the first-degree murder of her 2-year-old son, whom she never harmed. Rebecca Hogue, a 30-year-old Norman resident, had returned home from a 12-hour work shift in the early hours of Jan. 1, 2020, per the BBC . When...
1K Hospital Visits
and One Death Later,
Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Feb 10, 2022 10:25 AM CST
1K Hospital Visits and One Death Later, Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Kelly Turner sentenced to 16 years for fatally abusing Olivia Gant
- A Colorado mother who fatally abused her daughter for years while falsely claiming the child was terminally ill has been sentenced to prison to serve more than twice the length of 7-year-old Olivia Gant's short life. Kelly Turner was sentenced to 16 years in prison on Wednesday after pleading...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.