Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports on child abuse cases and reports of physical abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Spent 4 Years Behind Bars
Waiting for This Moment
Jan 14, 2023 6:30 AM CST
He Spent 4 Years Behind Bars Waiting for This Moment
Tyree Bowie was acquitted after being accused of killing a child in Pennsylvania
- Tyree Bowie spent over four years behind bars awaiting trial for a crime he says he didn't commit. Now, a jury in York County, Pennsylvania, has agreed with him, per PennLive , acquitting Bowie of all charges in the death of Dante Mullinix. The boy died in September 2018, a...
A Doctor Reported Child Abuse.
What Followed Was Worse
Oct 30, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
A Doctor Reported Child Abuse. What Followed Was Worse
'The Cut' shares the story of Maya Kowalski and her parents
- Dr. Sally Smith for years worked as a child-abuse pediatrician who headed up the child-protection team in Pinellas County, Florida. She retired in July, and recapped a grim career that included seeing "dozens of children who were literally beaten to death." And in the roughly 3,000 cases...
With 'Scream' Mask
Oct 21, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Daycare Workers Charged After Terrifying Toddlers With 'Scream' Mask
4 were hit with felony child abuse charges, one with misdemeanors
- Five daycare workers have been charged for their alleged involvement in a disturbing video in which one of them wears a "Scream" mask and terrifies the toddlers in their care. Sierra McCandless, Oci-Anna Kilburn, Jennifer Newman, and Shyenne Shelton were each hit with three counts of felony child abuse;...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
Youngest Turpin Siblings Detail
Alleged Abuse in Foster Care
Jul 20, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Youngest Turpin Siblings Detail Alleged Abuse in Foster Care
They claim in suit they were forced to overeat and then eat their own vomit
The six youngest Turpin siblings have sued Riverside County and foster care agency ChildNet, alleging that in the years after their 2018 rescue from their parents' Perris, Calif., home, they were subjected to "severe abuse and neglect" while in foster care. The suit claims the foster family they...
Stepfather Found Guilty in
Case of Boy Rescued by Server
Jun 7, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Stepfather Found Guilty in Case of Boy Rescued by Server
She noticed that severely abused boy wasn't being allowed to eat
: A Florida man has been found guilty of multiple charges in the severe abuse of an 11-year-old boy who was rescued by a quick-thinking restaurant server last year. A jury found 36-year-old Timothy Lee Wilson, the boy's stepfather, guilty on charges including false imprisonment of a child under...
In a First, US Assesses Grim
Toll at Native American Schools
May 11, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
In a First, US Assesses Grim Toll at Native American Schools
At least 500, and probably thousands, of children taken from their families died, report says
- For the first time, the federal government has assessed and acknowledged the harm done to Native American children at boarding schools it backed or ran throughout most of the 19th and 20th centuries. A report released Wednesday by the Interior Department said the children were subjected to sexual abuse, whippings,...
Solo to Go for Treatment,
Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
Apr 30, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Solo to Go for Treatment, Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
'My energies and focus are totally directed to my health, healing, and taking care of my family'
Hope Solo has asked the National Soccer Hall of Fame to delay her induction until next year, announcing that she's going for help for her alcohol issues, per ESPN . In a Friday tweet , the soccer star requested the induction be postponed until 2023, noting she'll be "...
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son.
But She's the One Behind Bars
in case you missed it
Feb 20, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son. But She's the One Behind Bars
Rebecca Hogue sentenced to 16 months under Oklahoma's failure to protect law
- An Oklahoma woman will ultimately spend more than a year in jail for the first-degree murder of her 2-year-old son, whom she never harmed. Rebecca Hogue, a 30-year-old Norman resident, had returned home from a 12-hour work shift in the early hours of Jan. 1, 2020, per the BBC . When...
Parents Allegedly Locked
Teen Son in Garage 'Office'
Feb 15, 2022 12:58 PM CST
Parents Allegedly Locked Teen Son in Garage 'Office'
Florida couple accused of confining 14-year-old to 8-by-8 structure most of the time
- A disturbing case of alleged child abuse has emerged out of Florida, where a couple is accused of making their 14-year-old son spend most of his time in a locked 8-by-8 "office" in their garage. Timothy and Tracy Ferriter, both 46, of Jupiter face felony charges of aggravated child...
1K Hospital Visits
and One Death Later,
Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Feb 10, 2022 10:25 AM CST
1K Hospital Visits and One Death Later, Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Kelly Turner sentenced to 16 years for fatally abusing Olivia Gant
- A Colorado mother who fatally abused her daughter for years while falsely claiming the child was terminally ill has been sentenced to prison to serve more than twice the length of 7-year-old Olivia Gant's short life. Kelly Turner was sentenced to 16 years in prison on Wednesday after pleading...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
6 Decades Later, Abuse
at Camp Still Affects His Life
Jan 16, 2022 4:30 PM CST
6 Decades Later, Abuse at Camp Still Affects His Life
'USA Today' explores the lasting trauma of abuse at Vermont's Camp Najerog in 1950s
- The sexual abuse occurred more than six decades ago at an idyllic summer camp in Vermont. But as Alia E. Dastagir writes in a lengthy account at
, it continues to have a profound impact on the life of at least one of the victims. The piece recounts how...
Nov 23, 2021 1:00 AM CST
Trump-Backed Senate Candidate Loses Custody, Suspends Campaign
Sean Parnell's estranged wife won custody battle
Sean Parnell has suspended his campaign for a seat in the US Senate. The Trump-endorsed Pennsylvania 40-year-old made the announcement Monday after he lost his bitter custody battle. The judge in the case granted sole legal custody and primary physical custody of Parnell's three children to his estranged...
Indiana Mom Accused of
Selling Daughter, 13, to Man
Nov 20, 2021 12:15 PM CST
Indiana Mom Accused of Selling Daughter, 13, to Man
Parents say child, adult are engaged
- An Indiana woman allegedly sold her 13-year-old daughter to a 27-year-old man before she and her husband forced her to marry him and then celebrated the wedding with a party, authorities said. The girl's mother was charged Thursday in Allen County with child selling where the defendant transfers or...
Tortured Turpin Siblings
Describe 'Hell' They Endured
Nov 10, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Tortured Turpin Siblings Describe 'Hell' They Endured
'I thought I was going to die,' Jordan Turpin tells Diane Sawyer
- Reflecting on her childhood, Jennifer Turpin says "the only word I know to call it is 'hell.'" It's no wonder considering the 32-year-old grew up in what media outlets have dubbed a "house of horrors." Turpin was one of 13 siblings rescued in...
Police: Missing Girl's
Hand Signal Saved Her
Nov 6, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Police: Missing Girl's Hand Signal Saved Her
16-year-old got help from passing motorist, and police arrested her driver
- A teenage girl used a hand signal popularized on TikTok to signal for help. The 16-year-old from North Carolina had been missing for days when she was rescued Thursday,
reports. James Herbert Brick, 61, of Cherokee, North Carolina, was arrested in Laurel County, Kentucky, and charged with unlawful...
With Teacher of
the Year 'Beyond
Nov 1, 2021 12:24 PM CDT
Alleged Incident With Teacher of the Year 'Beyond Disturbing'
Caroline Lee arrested after being accused of hitting a student
- Police say a discussion between a Florida student and her teacher about a social media post led to violence, and to the Friday arrest of the teacher, who just last week was announced as her school's teacher of the year. The
reports that a since-deleted Instagram post...
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says
She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Oct 30, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mom of Abandoned Boys Says She Visited 'Every 2 Weeks'
Gloria Williams now claims she also didn't know her 8-year-old son, Kendrick Lee, was dead
- A Texas mother charged after the body of her 8-year-old son was found in an apartment along with three abandoned siblings now says she checked on her boys "every two weeks" and that she hadn't realized one of the brothers was dead. "I'm sorry. I didn'...
Horrific Details Emerge in
Case of Abandoned Siblings
Oct 28, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Horrific Details Emerge in Case of Abandoned Siblings
Texas siblings say they saw Brian Coulter beat their brother to death
- Horrific details emerged Wednesday in the case of three Houston-area siblings believed to have lived an an apartment with their brother's remains for almost a year. Police say mother Gloria Williams, 35, and her 31-year-old boyfriend Brian Coulter apparently moved out of the apartment weeks after Coulter allegedly beat...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.