Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Law Would Jail Parents Whose
Children Aren't Vaccinated
Oct 1, 2023 11:25 AM CDT
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Skepticism in Pakistan has turned violent
- Authorities in one Pakistan province are turning to a contentious new tactic in the decades-long initiative to wipe out polio: prison. Last month, the government in Sindh introduced a bill, now in the final stages of becoming law, that would imprison parents for up to one month if they fail...
Dozens Killed in 'Heinous'
Sep 29, 2023 4:30 AM CDT
Dozens Killed in 'Heinous' Pakistan Bombing
At least 52 killed in attack on rally celebrating prophet's birthday
- A powerful bomb exploded near a mosque at a rally celebrating the birthday of Islam's Prophet Muhammad in southwestern Pakistan on Friday, killing at least 52 people and injuring nearly 70 others, police and a government official said. The bombing occurred in Mastung, a district in Baluchistan province, where...
All 8 Rescued From
Dangling Cable Car
Aug 22, 2023 1:59 PM CDT
All 8 Rescued From Dangling Cable Car
'Everyone was praying for this moment'
- Six children and two adults have been rescued safely from a cable car that was dangling over a rive canyon in a remote area of Pakistan for more than 12 hours. Authorities say military commandos assisted by civilians used helicopters and a makeshift chairlift to rescue the group from more...
Daring Pakistan Rescue: 2 Kids
Saved So Far From Cable Car
Aug 22, 2023 9:59 AM CDT
Daring Pakistan Rescue: 2 Kids Saved So Far From Cable Car
Military commandos trying to save 4 more kids and 2 adults
- Two children have been rescued from a dangling cable car in Pakistan, while military commandos work on getting four more children and two adults safely out, reports the AP . The commandos were initially using helicopters, but that strategy was being abandoned as night falls, per the BBC . The latter outlet...
30 Killed When
Derails in Pakistan
Aug 7, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
30 Killed When Express Train Derails in Pakistan
More than 90 others hurt
- Ten cars of a passenger train derailed in southern Pakistan on Sunday, killing 30 people and injuring more than 90 others, officials said. Some of the derailed cars on the Hazara Express train overturned in the crash near the town of Nawabshah, senior railway officer Mahmoodur Rehman Lakho said. The...
Ex-Prime Minister Sentenced
to Prison for Corruption
Aug 5, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Ex-Prime Minister Sentenced to Prison for Corruption
Pakistan postpones elections after conviction of Imran Khan
- An opposition leader and former prime minister was sentenced to three years in prison Saturday after being convicted of corruption, a verdict that probably ends the possibility of Imran Khan running in the next election and deals a setback to Pakistan's efforts to solidify its democracy. Khan was arrested...
Blast Kills 40, Injures 200
at Political Rally in Pakistan
Jul 30, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Blast Kills 40, Injures 200 at Political Rally in Pakistan
Bombing occurred when senior party leader's arrival was announced
- A powerful bomb ripped through a political rally by supporters of a hard-line cleric and political leader on Sunday in Pakistan's northwestern Bajur district, police and health officials said. At least 40 people were killed and nearly 200 wounded, including children, in one of the worst attacks in years....
She Tried the Big 14 Last
Year and Failed. Now, Success
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
She Tried the Big 14 Last Year and Failed. Now, Success
Kristin Harila, Tenjen Sherpa summit at K2, scale world's highest mountains in record 92 days
- A Norwegian woman mountain climber and her Nepali Sherpa guide have set a new record by scaling the world's 14 highest peaks in 92 days, a Pakistani mountaineering official said. On Thursday, Kristin Harila and Tenjen Sherpa summited K2 on the Chinese-Pakistani border in the Karakorum Range—considered to...
Pakistan Court Frees
Former PM as Nation Braces
May 11, 2023 1:27 PM CDT
Pakistan Court Frees Former PM as Nation Braces
Arrest of Imran Khan had set off days of violence
- Pakistan's Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the release of former Prime Minister Imran Khan, whose arrest earlier this week sparked a wave of violence across the country , per the AP . Khan's backers danced in the streets outside the court building, celebrating the latest turn in the confrontation between...
Pakistan Erupts After
Former PM Arrested
May 9, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
Pakistan Erupts After Former PM Arrested
Ally likens Imran Khan's arrest at Islamabad court to an 'abduction'
- Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan was arrested Tuesday as he appeared in a court in the country’s capital to face charges in multiple graft cases. Security agents dragged Khan outside and shoved him into an armored car before whisking him away, per the AP . The arrest drew...
6.5 Quake Shakes
Mar 22, 2023 12:33 AM CDT
6.5 Quake Shakes Pakistan, Afghanistan
At least 11 died, including girl killed in stampede
This story has been updated with the latest death toll
. A magnitude 6.5 earthquake rattled much of Pakistan and Afghanistan on Tuesday, sending panicked residents fleeing from homes and offices and frightening people even in remote villages. At least nine people died in Pakistan and two in Afghanistan, officials...
Police Storm Home of Former
Pakistan PM, Arrest 61
Mar 19, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Police Storm Home of Former Pakistan PM, Arrest 61
They swooped after Imran Khan departed for court hearing
- Pakistani police stormed former Prime Minister Imran Khan's residence in the eastern city of Lahore on Saturday and arrested 61 people amid tear gas and clashes between Khan's supporters and police, officials said. Senior police officer Suhail Sukhera, who led the operation in an upscale Lahore neighborhood, said...
He Became a Reluctant
US Ally After 9/11
Feb 5, 2023 5:30 AM CST
He Became a Reluctant US Ally After 9/11
Former Pakistani leader Musharraf dies at 79
- Gen. Pervez Musharraf, who seized power in a bloodless coup and later led a reluctant Pakistan into aiding the US war in Afghanistan against the Taliban, has died at 79. Musharraf, a former special forces commando, became president through the last of a string of military coups that roiled Pakistan...
Bomber Slipped by Security
With Police Uniform
Feb 2, 2023 8:26 AM CST
Bomber Slipped by Security With Police Uniform
He wasn't checked by security in Peshawar, police confirm
- A suicide bomber who killed at least 100 people inside a mosque within a high-security police compound in Pakistan on Monday simply drove in on a motorbike. "Those on duty didn't check him because he was in a police uniform," Moazzam Jah Ansari, who leads the provincial...
No One Knows How Attacker
Got So Deep in Cop Compound
Jan 31, 2023 12:03 AM CST
No One Knows How Attacker Got So Deep in Cop Compound
Death toll in suicide bombing at mosque in Peshawar, Pakistan, rises to 83
- A Pakistani hospital spokesman says the death toll from Monday's suicide bombing at a mosque in the northwestern city of Peshawar has risen to 83, the AP reports. Mohammad Asim, the spokesman, says more bodies were retrieved from the rubble of the mosque overnight and early on Tuesday, and...
Pakistan's Former Leader
Shot in Assassination Attempt
Nov 3, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Pakistan's Former Leader Shot in Assassination Attempt
Imran Khan reportedly shot in leg as bullets fly at campaign truck
- At least one gunman opened fire at a campaign truck carrying Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday, wounding him slightly and also some of his supporters, according to a senior leader from his party and police, per the AP . Party official Asad Umar said Khan was wounded...
Gates Foundation Commits
$1.2B to Ending Polio
Oct 16, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Gates Foundation Commits $1.2B to Ending Polio
Virus still spreads in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only remaining countries where the polio virus is in circulation. "The last steps to eradication are by far the toughest," said Mark Suzman, CEO of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which he said is committed to a global "polio-free future."...
Pakistan Asks US Ambassador
to Explain a Biden Remark
Oct 15, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Pakistan Asks US Ambassador to Explain a Biden Remark
President questioned nation's nuclear weapons safety
- Pakistan has questions about President Biden's comment that it's "maybe one of the most dangerous nations in the world." Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari said Saturday he's called in US Ambassador Donald Blome in Islamabad for an explanation, Reuters reports. In a speech Thursday, Biden said...
'Attribution Science' Sees
Culprit in Pakistan Flooding
Sep 16, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
'Attribution Science' Sees Culprit in Pakistan Flooding
Study suggests climate change made heavy rainfall more likely
- Human-caused climate change likely doubled the likelihood of the 1-in-100-year floods that have devastated Pakistan this year, per CNN . That's according to researchers in a fast-growing field known as attribution science, which seeks to determine how climate change contributes to extreme weather events, per the
New York Times
A Rare Weather Pattern
Is Upon Us
Sep 12, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
A Rare Weather Pattern Is Upon Us
A 'triple dip' of La Nina, referring to 3 straight years of it, is here
- The weather pattern known as La Nina has materialized in the equatorial Pacific. If that factoid sounds familiar, it's because this is the third consecutive year for the phenomenon—and that marks the first time in a century such a "triple dip" has occurred, according to the World...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
In Rare Move, Thomas Recuses Himself From Case
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.