Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Maine Objects to Decision
by Whole Foods on Lobster
Nov 27, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
Fishing equipment can endanger whales
- Environmental groups are again at odds with politicians and fishermen in New England in the wake of a decision by high-end retail giant Whole Foods to stop selling Maine lobster. Whole Foods recently said that it will stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores...
Blue Apron, HelloFresh
Are Ditching Lobster
Sep 8, 2022 3:52 PM CDT
Blue Apron, HelloFresh Are Ditching Lobster
Moves come after conservation group's warning about dangers to whales from fishing gear
- Some retailers are taking lobster off the menu after an assessment from an influential conservation group that the seafood poses too much of a risk to rare whales and should be avoided. Whales can suffer injuries and even fatalities when they become entangled in the gear that connects to lobster...
Mar 13, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Lobster Prices Are 'Almost Embarrassing'
Meanwhile, your bag of Doritos has 5 fewer chips
- It's no secret that inflation is resulting in sky-high prices in trips to the gas station or supermarket. But
reports that one product in particular might be getting hit worst of all: lobster. The dish was already pricey before this pandemic-related bout of inflation, of course, but now...
UK Set to Acknowledge
These Creatures Have Feelings
Nov 23, 2021 9:50 AM CST
UK Set to Acknowledge These Creatures Have Feelings
Crab, octopus, and other cephalopods, decapods, vertebrates to be classified as sentient beings
- A bill designating octopus, lobster, crab, and other animals as sentient beings capable of experiencing feelings and sensations including pain and distress, now moving through the UK parliament , could transform how such animals are treated in the country. The bill, which would see the creation of an Animal Sentience Committee...
Lawsuit: Red Lobster
Made 'Deceptive' Claims
About Its Lobsters
Jun 16, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Red Lobster Made 'Deceptive' Claims About Its Lobsters
Some of its seafood isn't sustainable or responsible, suit argues
- Red Lobster has been making some fishy claims about its product, according to a class- action lawsuit filed in California. According to court documents, the plaintiffs say the chain markets its lobster and shrimp as "sustainable" and "responsible" when the truth is very different, IntraFish reports. The lawsuit,...
Lobster Exports to China
Have Fallen Off a Cliff
Aug 26, 2019 12:47 AM CDT
Lobster Exports to China Have Fallen Off a Cliff
Maine's pain is Canada's gain
- US lobster exports to China have fallen off a cliff this year as new retaliatory tariffs shift the seafood business farther north. China, a huge and growing customer for lobster, placed heavy tariffs on US lobsters—and many other food products—in July 2018 amid rising trade hostilities between Beijing...
Guess What Someone's
Accused of Stealing
From Red Lobster
Nov 15, 2018 11:36 AM CST
Guess What Someone's Accused of Stealing From Red Lobster
If you guessed a lobster, you'd be correct
- You may not make the news if you simply steal a lobster, but if you're accused of taking it from a place named after the crustacean, you could be guaranteed a place among the day's headlines. That's what happened in St. Petersburg, Fla., where a 42-year-old woman...
Trump's Trade War
Hits the Lobster Business
Sep 15, 2018 1:34 PM CDT
Trump's Trade War Hits the Lobster Business
Layoffs and lagging prices damage the industry
- The American lobster industry is starting to feel the pinch of China's tariff on US seafood as exporters and dealers cope with sagging prices, new financial pressures, and difficulty sending lobsters overseas, the AP reports. China is a major buyer of lobsters, and it imposed a heavy tariff on...
Killed in Crash
Aug 31, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
PETA Seeks Roadside Memorial for Lobsters Killed in Crash
Maine officials are reviewing the request for a tombstone
- If you stopped eating crabs at PETA's request , you'll probably love the animal rights group's latest idea. PETA has asked Maine officials for permission to build a 5-foot tombstone in Brunswick to honor an estimated 4,500 lobsters killed when a truck overturned on a highway last...
Fear Not, Outraged Maine: The
Lobster Emoji Is Getting Fixed
Feb 20, 2018 8:30 AM CST
Fear Not, Outraged Maine: The Lobster Emoji Is Getting Fixed
Image will add 2 more legs to be anatomically correct
- After an outcry, the organization that controls the release of emojis has added two more legs to the forthcoming lobster emoji to make it correct. The
Portland Press Herald
reports that soon after the Unicode Consortium released proposed images of 157 new emojis, Maine residents took umbrage at the lobster...
Florida Lobster Divers
Find Human Skull
Aug 8, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Florida Lobster Divers Find Human Skull
Cops don't know how long it was in the water
- Instead of finding crustaceans, a couple diving for lobster under a Florida bridge found human bones. The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said Monday that a man and woman were diving for lobster under the Card Sound Bridge that connects mainland Florida with the Florida Keys when they spotted a...
1 in 2 Million Catch
Jul 19, 2017 7:34 PM CDT
Lobsterman Makes 1 in 2 Million Catch
Greg Ward caught a rare blue lobster
- A New Hampshire lobsterman has joined an elite club after catching a rare blue lobster, the AP reports. The
reports Greg Ward initially thought he had snagged an albino lobster when he examined his catch off the coast Monday where New Hampshire borders Maine. The Rye lobsterman quickly...
Tully Monster Mystery
Not Solved After All
Feb 21, 2017 8:51 PM CST
Tully Monster Mystery Not Solved After All
Scientists call for re-examination of the Tully Monster
- Some creatures are so weird they seem to defy classification. They're even assigned the word "Problematica," a classification that serves as a sort of purgatory for the strangest of the strange as our understanding of the evolutionary tree of life continues to deepen. Such is the case...
Saved From Pot
at Last Minute
Jul 21, 2016 4:33 PM CDT
Long-Lived Lobster Saved From Pot at Last Minute
Some think 'Larry' is more than a century old
- Larry the Lobster lives another day, thanks to a group of rescuers who saved the 15-pound crustacean from ending up on Florida diners' plates, the
reports. Even more astounding: Although figuring out a lobster's age is an inexact science, the owner of the restaurant that acquired Larry...
Jul 23, 2015 11:30 AM CDT
Maine's Latest Lobster-Flavored Export: Beer
No real, live lobsters actually were harmed in the brewing of this beer
- A Maine brewer is offering a quicker way to consume two of the state's summertime staples: beer and lobster. Oxbow Brewing is serving up beer brewed with live Maine lobsters and a dash of sea salt. Brewmaster Tim Adams says the lobsters were placed in a mesh bag and...
Coast of Maine
Jul 8, 2015 1:41 PM CDT
Rare Lobster Caught Off Coast of Maine
'Split-colored' variety is one in 50 million oddity
- A rare orange-brown split-colored lobster has turned up off the coast of Maine. And by rare we mean it's a one-in-50-million creature, according to the Lobster Institute. The
reports that the unusual lobster arrived last week at Pine Point Fisherman's Co-Op in Scarborough, courtesy of an...
Latest Target of
Kim Jong Un's
May 19, 2015 11:54 AM CDT
Latest Target of Kim Jong Un's Wrath: Failed Lobster Breeders
Says terrapin farm may 'impair prestige' of Korean Workers' Party
- Employees at a terrapin farm on the outskirts of Pyongyang might want to lay low for a while. According to North Korean state news agency KCNA, their Dear Leader isn't too pleased with the way things are managed at Taedonggang Terrapin Farm, which was visited by Kim Jong Un’...
Donates Bizarre Lobster
Jul 31, 2014 4:05 PM CDT
Fisherman Catches, Donates Bizarre Lobster
New Hampshire 'calico' is a rarity
- A New Hampshire fisherman caught an extremely rare lobster, though the creature gets to live out its days at an aquarium rather than ending up as somebody's dinner. Josiah Beringer tells Seacoast Online that he found the calico lobster—it's bright orange, with dark blue spots—in a...
Surprise: Maine Lobster
Caught in ... California
Nov 27, 2013 4:00 PM CST
Surprise: Maine Lobster Caught in ... California
It's the first one seen off Bay Area coast
- A fishing boat out of Sausalito, Calif., caught a creature a
way from home in one of its crab traps—a Maine lobster, reports NorCalFishingNews.com . The 8-pounder turned up near the Farallon Islands, thus becoming the first Maine lobster ever spotted off the Bay Area coast, reports the...
Lobsters Going Cannibal,
Eating the Little Ones
Dec 4, 2012 4:30 PM CST
Lobsters Going Cannibal, Eating the Little Ones
Infrared cameras record the attacks in Gulf of Maine
- Lobsters are so overpopulating the Gulf of Maine that they've discovered a tasty new meal: each other. Researchers from the University of Maine have found that young lobsters tethered by rope to the ocean floor—and watched with an infrared camera—are almost always eaten by bigger lobsters rather...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.