Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Minnesota Freedom Fund'
Reels After Getting $30M
Jun 17, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
'Minnesota Freedom Fund' Reels After Getting $30M
The nonprofit is suddenly flush and under a microscope
- A small nonprofit is feeling the heat after receiving more than $30 million in the wake of George Floyd's death, the
New York Times
reports. The Minnesota Freedom Fund—which had only one full-time worker earlier this month—became a popular cause for activist and celebrity donors. Now the...
Owners Run Into
Apr 11, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Small-Business Owners Run Into Huge 'Bottleneck'
Federal loan programs are deluged and running low on funds
- Millions of small businesses are barely staying afloat amid the coronavirus pandemic, and the feds are offering help—but getting that help is another thing, the
New York Times
reports. Two federal efforts, the Paycheck Protection Program and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program, are both low on funds and...
Guy Buys Couch, Finds $43K
Jan 18, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Guy Buys Couch, Finds $43K
But Howard Kirby didn't feel right about it
- That ottoman seems kinda hard. Let's look inside. That's what a Michigan man thought before his daughter opened up a cushion in a used couch he'd just bought—and found over $43,000, MLive reports. Howard Kirby had paid only $70 for the couch at the Habitat...
Bank Customer Walks In
With a Highly Unusual Bill
Oct 30, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Bank Customer Walks In With a Highly Unusual Bill
But tellers at Pinnacle Bank in Lincoln, Nebraska, weren't fooled
- At least he tried? A guy walked into a Nebraska bank Monday and tried opening a checking account with a fake $1 million bill, the
Lincoln Journal Star
reports. He swore it was real, but tellers at Pinnacle Bank in Lincoln disagreed and he walked out. Now police are trying...
Lost Your Wallet?
Pray That It
Had Lots of
Jun 21, 2019 12:28 PM CDT
Lost Your Wallet? Pray That It Had Lots of Cash Inside
The more money in a 'lost wallet,' the more likely that people would return it, researchers found
- If you recently found a cash-filled wallet belonging to Brett Miller, Connor Baker, or Brad O'Brien and made the effort to return it, you may have helped researchers restore a collective faith in mankind. The
New York Times
reports on a new study in the journal
The Harriet Tubman $20 Bill
Isn't Coming in 2020 After All
May 22, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
The Harriet Tubman $20 Bill Isn't Coming in 2020 After All
We won't know if she'll for sure be on it until 2026
- The 108th anniversary doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but that's apparently how it's going to be. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Wednesday announced that the redesigned $20 bill—which former Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew in 2016 decided would feature Harriet Tubman—will not be...
$30K Spills on Road. And
Authorities Want It Back
Apr 27, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
$30K Spills on Road. And Authorities Want It Back
Drivers stop to grab dollars in Grand Haven, Michigan
- Police in Michigan are appealing to people to surrender their instant riches after a box with $30,000 fell off the back of a truck, the AP reports. Authorities in Grand Haven say drivers stopped Thursday to pick up cash for themselves. Officers closed the US 31 but only $2,...
A Grieving Son Blames
Bank Over $732K Con
Jan 21, 2019 5:20 PM CST
A Grieving Son Blames Bank Over $732K Con
Dayle Hogg says TD Bank shouldn't have let his father wire the money
- Dayle Hogg is hopping mad over the $732,000 his dad sent a romance scammer, but doesn't seem to blame him. "There should have been red flags going up all over the place at the bank," Hogg tells the CBC . "He had no history of sending...
Guy Finds Chanel Purse
With $10K in Cash
Dec 22, 2018 10:40 AM CST
Guy Finds Chanel Purse With $10K in Cash
Richard Taverna says he never intended to keep it
- A Manhattan man who stumbled on a purse containing $10,000 did what anyone would do ... right? Richard Taverna was waiting for the subway Thursday at the Lincoln Center-66th Street 1 train stop when he spotted a blue Chanel bag on the platform: "I picked it up to see...
Toddler Shreds $1K in Cash
Oct 5, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
Toddler Shreds $1K in Cash
Parents had saved it for college football tickets
- Leo Belnap, a 2-year-old boy in Holladay, Utah, loves putting junk mail and other paper in the shredder that he sometimes helps his mom with. Unfortunately for his parents, some of the paper he put through it recently was green and had pictures of presidents on it. Ben and Jackee...
Survey: How Much US Adults
Have Saved Is 'Troubling'
May 23, 2018 7:08 AM CDT
Survey: How Much US Adults Have Saved Is 'Troubling'
About 40% don't have $400 for an emergency
- Concerning news from the feds in the personal finance realm: About 40% of US adults would have to sell something or borrow to come up with $400 in an emergency, or wouldn't be able to pay at all, CNBC reports. The Federal Reserve's "Report on the Economic...
He Was So Rich
He Rented a
Except He Wasn't
in case you missed it
May 12, 2018 4:40 PM CDT
He Was So Rich He Rented a Whole Brothel. Except He Wasn't
Luke Moore lived high, got caught, then cleared his name
- At one point in 2012, Luke "Milky" Moore paid $40,000 to rent himself a brothel for four days. Two years prior, he was penniless, unemployed, and bracing himself for foreclosure. What happened in the interim is the subject of an
piece by David Kushner, who explores the...
Australia Outlaws Cash
for Purchases Over $7.5K
May 11, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Australia Outlaws Cash for Purchases Over $7.5K
It's the government's attempt to keep money laundering and tax evasion at bay
- Hoping to cripple organized crime and tamp down on tax evasion and money laundering, Australia has announced its latest tactic: not allowing cash purchases over $7,500 for goods and services. The
reports the new rule—which will require consumers to use a check or electronic service such...
A Midlife 'Wealth Shock'
May Lead to Your Death
Apr 4, 2018 6:58 AM CDT
A Midlife 'Wealth Shock' May Lead to Your Death
Study finds Americans who suffered a financial blow were more likely to die
- A big financial loss may shorten your life, a new study suggests. Middle-aged Americans who experienced a sudden, large economic blow were more likely to die during the following years than those who didn't. The heightened danger of death after a devastating loss, which researchers called a "wealth...
Jackpot Is 4th
Mar 28, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Mega Millions Jackpot Is 4th Largest Ever
$502M prize up for grabs Friday
- The next Mega Millions lottery winner could take home the fourth largest jackpot in its history. No ticket matched Tuesday's six drawn numbers, meaning the jackpot climbs from $458 million to $502 million for Friday's drawing. It's just the fourth time the jackpot—last won by a...
On Dec. 13,
Got a Wake-up Call
Feb 12, 2018 12:07 AM CST
On Dec. 13, Stacy London Got a Wake-up Call
The former host of 'What Not to Wear' was broken, learned she was going broke
- As the former co-host of
What Not to Wear,
Stacy London dished out straight-up, honest fashion advice. So while you might expect her to be candid in all things, London's recent essay for Refinery 29 is somehow still surprisingly frank. The celeb holds little back: First her body broke,...
'Jackpotting' Thieves Hit
US ATMs for First Time
Jan 29, 2018 7:34 AM CST
'Jackpotting' Thieves Hit US ATMs for First Time
Sophisticated cybercrime lets criminals steal cash with the press of a button
- With just the press of a button, "cash out crews" have been attacking ATMs around the world, and now apparently in the US. Reuters reports that two big ATM makers, Diebold Nixdorf and NCR Corp., have issued warnings about the so-called "jackpotting" scheme, which has made its way...
MYOB on What the Homeless
Do With the Money You Give
Oct 30, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
MYOB on What the Homeless Do With the Money You Give
Be kind, even if you think your financial assistance will be blown on booze, Matt Broomfield writes
- Do you hesitate when you come across a homeless person begging in the street? Matt Broomfield says you shouldn't. Instead, he writes in an op-ed for the
, you should "give your cash directly and unconditionally" to those in need—even if you think they'll blow...
Queen's Horses Have
Brought in Almost $9M
Oct 25, 2017 12:42 PM CDT
Queen's Horses Have Brought in Almost $9M
They have a 16% win percentage over 30 years
- In horse racing, a bet on one of Queen Elizabeth II's horses is about as safe a bet as you can make. That's because the queen's steeds have raked in $8.9 million in winnings since 1988, with 451 victories in 2,815 runs for a 16%...
Toilet Clogs in Geneva
Had Unlikely Source
Sep 19, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Toilet Clogs in Geneva Had Unlikely Source
$120K in 500-euro bills found in 4 toilets in May
- Some $120,000 has gone down the drain in Switzerland—literally. Prosecutors say 500-euro bank notes were found stuffed in a toilet serving a vault containing safe deposit boxes at Geneva's USB bank back in May, per Bloomberg . A few days later, per Reuters , 500-euro notes, which "had...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.