Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Employers Willing to Pay
Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Aug 20, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Employers Willing to Pay Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Salaries on job advertisements are going through the roof
- Recent reports like this one from Futurism about the AI "bubble" popping notwithstanding, some companies are willing to pay big bucks for a brain that can truly understand the best uses of artificial intelligence. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that major employers are chasing data scientists and experts in...
Growing Number of Americans
Tapping Into 401(k) Plans
Aug 13, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Growing Number of Americans Tapping Into 401(k) Plans
According to data from Bank of America
- There's been an uptick in the number of Americans turning to their 401(k) plans to help with financial woes, according to data released by Bank of America. CNN reports the banking giant saw a 36% increase in "hardship" withdrawals in Q2 as compared to the same period a...
One Telling Stat Illustrates
Americans' Money Worries
Mar 28, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
One Telling Stat Illustrates Americans' Money Worries
Nearly 8 in 10 in 'WSJ' survey aren't confident their kids will be better off than them
- A new poll offers a snapshot of how Americans are feeling about their financial security, and the mood isn't a pleasant one. Maybe the most telling stat from the survey by the
Wall Street Journal
and the National Opinion Research Center:
78% of respondents say they're not confident
Unusual Experiment Suggests
Nov 12, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Unusual Experiment Suggests Money
Unless you make $123K a year
- The debate over the assertion "money can't buy happiness" is usually a hypothetical one. But an unusual real-world experiment suggests money can indeed bring happiness, and not just in a fleeting way. As NBC News reports, two wealthy donors teamed up with the TED organization to give 200...
Have Had a
Rough Year. None
Sep 20, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Tech Tycoons Have Had a Rough Year. None Like Zuckerberg
Meta CEO has hemorrhaged $71B since Jan. 1—more than half his wealth
- Don't worry, Mark Zuckerberg is still a billionaire—but he's lost many, many of those billions over the past several months. In what Bloomberg describes as a rough year for most tech billionaires, it's been an especially bumpy one for the Meta CEO: He's lost $71...
He Got the Whole Town's COVID
Payments. Then He Vanished
May 16, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
He Got the Whole Town's COVID Payments. Then He Vanished
Man in Japanese town of Abu took off with nearly $360K mistakenly transferred to him
- Last month, more than 450 households in a Japanese town in the Yamaguchi prefecture eagerly awaited COVID relief payments of about $770 each, designed to help families struggling due to the pandemic. One villager received all the payments in his account, however, and he's now disappeared, as has the...
Start Digging in Your Sofa
for Much-Needed Coins
Apr 4, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Start Digging in Your Sofa for Much-Needed Coins
Businesses across the US are begging people to put spare change into circulation amid shortage
- Got a dime you can spare? Retailers, laundromats, and other businesses that rely on coins want you to turn it in, along with any other spare change in piggy banks or under couch cushions, as coins are in short supply again, the AP reports. A group of trade associations that...
New 'Remarkable' Women's
Quarters Starts With a Big One
Jan 11, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New 'Remarkable' Women's Quarters Starts With a Big One
US Mint has started shipping quarters with image of poet Maya Angelou, first in a series
- The United States Mint said Monday it has begun shipping quarters featuring the image of poet Maya Angelou, the first coins in its American Women Quarters Program. Angelou, an American author, poet, and civil rights activist, rose to prominence with the publication of
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Money Flies Out the Back
of Armored Truck on Freeway
Nov 20, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Money Flies Out the Back of Armored Truck on Freeway
Police: Turn in the cash or face charges
- Drivers scrambled to grab cash Friday morning after bags of money fell out of an armored truck on a Southern California freeway, authorities said. The incident occurred shortly before 9:15am on Interstate 5 in Carlsbad as the truck was heading from San Diego to an office of the Federal...
Powerball Goes 0 for 39,
Leading to Massive Jackpot
Sep 30, 2021 12:27 PM CDT
Powerball Goes 0 for 39, Leading to Massive Jackpot
It's now up to $620M ahead of Saturday's drawing
- After nearly four months without a big winner, the Powerball jackpot has climbed to an estimated $620 million, making it the 10th largest US lottery prize ahead of Saturday night's drawing, per the AP . There have been 39 drawings in a row without a Powerball grand prizewinner, dating back...
A Case for Ditching the Career
to Embrace 'Lying Flat'
Aug 23, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
A Case for Ditching the Career to Embrace 'Lying Flat'
Cassady Rosenblum writes about the movement in essay for 'NYT'
- "Work has become intolerable. Rest is resistance." That's the message of the "lying flat" movement that kicked off in China in April and is now starting to take hold globally as a pushback against the 24/7 hamster wheel of capitalism, detailed in Cassady Rosenblum's op-ed...
Awesome at Hiking,
Terrible With Money
Jul 18, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Awesome at Hiking, Terrible With Money
'Outside' writer examines why young, outdoorsy types are typically bad with finances
- In an essay at
magazine, Gloria Liu explores a phenomenon that hits close to home for herself: Young, outdoorsy types tend to be terrible with money. Liu, now in her late 30s, uses herself as Exhibit A, but she notes that many of her friends also fit the description....
Bezos Leaves CEO Post With
a Pretty Penny in His Pocket
Jul 5, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Bezos Leaves CEO Post With a Pretty Penny in His Pocket
Amazon founder is worth $201.8B—about 740,000 times median net worth of an American at age 65
- Jeff Bezos may be giving up his CEO title , but he'll hold onto world's richest man honors, at least for now. The Amazon chief officially hands over the reins Monday to Andy Jassy, the head of the company's web services, but not before amassing a net worth...
Harry Said He
and Meghan Were
Cut Off. Now, a
Jun 24, 2021 8:46 AM CDT
Harry Said He and Meghan Were Cut Off. Now, a Royals Account
Clarence House spokesperson says Prince Charles funded Sussexes into summer of 2020
- When Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah Winfrey aired in March, one of the claims the Duke of Sussex made was that they'd been cut off financially by the royal family in the first quarter of 2020 and were forced to use an inheritance from Harry'...
'Doge' Meme NFT
Sells for Millions
Jun 12, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
'Doge' Meme NFT Sells for Millions
The original dog's owner will donate some of the proceeds to charity
- Taking a picture of your adorable dog and posting it so other people can admire her, too, is usually its own reward. But Atsuko Sato, a kindergarten teacher in Japan, is also getting a record-setting $4 million worth of Ethereum after selling it as an NFT, NBC News reports....
To Celebrate a Code-Breaker,
Spy Agency Offers a Challenge
Mar 25, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
To Celebrate a Code-Breaker, Spy Agency Offers a Challenge
It's inspired by Alan Turing, who appears on Britain's new 50-pound note
- The UK's spy agency has released its "hardest puzzle ever" in honor of Alan Turing's appearance on the Bank of England's highest-value banknote, the 50-pound bill. Turing—"the first openly gay man to have his face on a banknote," per the
From a High-Rise Window, a
'Heavenly Rain of Bank Notes'
Oct 29, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
From a High-Rise Window, a 'Heavenly Rain of Bank Notes'
Cops in Chongqing, China, say man in 'trance' from drugs was throwing cash out of 30th-floor window
- Commuters in China got an unexpected windfall earlier this month, though not everyone leaves this story with a happy ending. Police in Chongqing, located in the southwestern part of the country, said that traffic was brought to a halt on Oct. 17 when a man on the 30th floor of...
Aug 2, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Someone Tries Laundering Money—Literally
South Korean loses 'considerable' sum after washing-machine debacle
- Money laundering is not a good idea, as a South Korean found out when he or she put banknotes in a washing machine to remove possible traces of the coronavirus, the AP reports. Officials say the loss was considerable. The person living in Ansan city, near Seoul, placed an unspecified...
'Minnesota Freedom Fund'
Reels After Getting $30M
Jun 17, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
'Minnesota Freedom Fund' Reels After Getting $30M
The nonprofit is suddenly flush and under a microscope
- A small nonprofit is feeling the heat after receiving more than $30 million in the wake of George Floyd's death, the
New York Times
reports. The Minnesota Freedom Fund—which had only one full-time worker earlier this month—became a popular cause for activist and celebrity donors. Now the...
Owners Run Into
Apr 11, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Small-Business Owners Run Into Huge 'Bottleneck'
Federal loan programs are deluged and running low on funds
- Millions of small businesses are barely staying afloat amid the coronavirus pandemic, and the feds are offering help—but getting that help is another thing, the
New York Times
reports. Two federal efforts, the Paycheck Protection Program and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program, are both low on funds and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.