Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 28, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Looting Continues in Philadelphia
Six more arrested after at least eight businesses were hit
- The looting in Philadelphia continues. At least eight businesses were burglarized overnight, resulting in six more arrests, say police, per NBC News . That brings to nearly 60 the number of arrests when combined with Tuesday night. The businesses raided Wednesday night included a Walmart, a Family Dollar, and an Auto...
All 9 Teens Who Escaped
From Juvie Are Captured
Sep 18, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
All 9 Teens Who Escaped From Juvie Are Captured
They fled after a riot at Pennsylvania detention facility
- All nine teens who escaped from a juvenile detention center in Pennsylvania on Sunday have been rounded up, reports CNN . The escapees, between the ages of 15 and 17, were captured less than 3 miles from Abraxas Academy in Morgantown. Authorities say they fled amid what has been described as...
Key to Fugitive's Survival:
a Watermelon Farm
Sep 14, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Key to Fugitive's Survival: a Watermelon Farm
Danelo Cavalcante eluded capture for two weeks in Pennsylvania, allegedly planned a carjacking
- So how did escaped prison inmate Danelo Cavalcante survive for two weeks in the woods of Pennsylvania? Authorities have revealed more details about Cavalcante's time on the lam—and his plans to stay free—before his capture on Wednesday .
Cavalcante lucked out by stumbling upon a watermelon farm
Photo of Cops With Recaptured
Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Sep 14, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Photo of Cops With Recaptured Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Controversy arises over pic taken in Pennsylvania after Danelo Cavalcante was back in custody
- A group photo of about two dozen officers in tactical gear posing with escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante minutes after his capture on Wednesday in southeastern Pennsylvania drew criticism from policing reform advocates and some members of the public. The moment of the photo was captured by a KYW-TV television news...
How Prison Escapee
Sep 13, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
How Prison Escapee Danelo Cavalcante Was Captured
Thermal heat technology, a US Border Patrol dog were key
- The hunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania came to a close on Wednesday morning, with Chester County authorities announcing his capture in a broadcast radio call made at 8:18am. "I'm proud to announce the subject is in custody. Repeating, subject is in custody," said...
'Training Was His
Suffering,' Says Mom
Sep 13, 2023 2:05 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer's 'Training Was His Suffering,' Says Mom
She insists her son is not a danger to the public
- As the manhunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante continues in Pennsylvania, his mother, in her first interview since he fled Chester County Prison on August 31, says the 34-year-old has been essentially training for survival his entire life. "His training was his suffering," Iracema Cavalcante tells the
Has Now Armed Himself
Sep 12, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Has Now Armed Himself
As of early Tuesday, police said they were in active pursuit
- Convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, and despite multiple sightings , he still has not been recaptured. On Monday afternoon, police said there was no longer a defined search area for the manhunt, though Cavalcante was still believed to be in the county,...
Went to the Homes
of His Former Co-Workers
Sep 11, 2023 1:40 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Went to the Homes of His Former Co-Workers
And is now miles outside the original search area
- Escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante showed up at the homes of two of his former colleagues Saturday night, police say. The convicted killer, who escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, first went to the East Pikeland Township home of someone he worked with several years ago, the...
Prison Escapee Now Has
Sep 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Prison Escapee Now Has 'Changed Appearance'
Pennsylvania police released updated photos of Danelo Cavalcante
- An escaped murderer on the run for more than a week in southeast Pennsylvania has been spotted with what police called "a changed appearance," per the AP . Pennsylvania State Police said in a statement on Sunday that Danelo Cavalcante was seen overnight near Phoenixville in northern Chester County....
With the Man
Who Killed Her
Sister on the Loose,
Sep 8, 2023 1:31 AM CDT
With the Man Who Killed Her Sister on the Loose, She's Terrified
Sister of prison escapee's victim speaks out
- It's been more than a week since Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison , and the family of the woman he murdered is "terrified," says the Chester County district attorney. "They do have protection, and they are terrified. They haven't left their home," DA...
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to
Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Sep 7, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Search for Danelo Cavalcante enters 8th day
- Thursday marks one week since convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison, and the search continues in Chester County, about 25 miles west of Philadelphia. The reward for information leading to his capture has been increased to $20,000. On Wednesday, officials detailed how exactly the 34-year-old, who...
'Even While I Was in the House,
I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Sep 6, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
'Even While I Was in the House, I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Danelo Cavalcante still has not been found in Pennsylvania
- The search for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante entered its seventh day Wednesday, with the community around the Chester County Prison, from which he escaped Thursday, on high alert. A Pennsylvania State Police lieutenant said that if his home were around the search area, "even while I was in the...
From His Mom
Sep 5, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Cops Hunting Escaped Killer Play Message From His Mom
Authorities are still searching for Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania
- As authorities continue to search for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania, a message from his mom is being broadcast from helicopters and patrol cars. An officer with the US Marshals Office explains the message was recorded "in the hopes that perhaps, as desperate as he is, maybe he...
Killer Escapes Days
After Getting Life Sentence
Sep 1, 2023 5:29 AM CDT
Killer Escapes Days After Getting Life Sentence
Danelo Cavalcante is 'extremely dangerous,' Pennsylvania authorities say
- An inmate described as "extremely dangerous" escaped from a prison in Pennsylvania less than 10 days after he was sentenced to life without parole for the April 2021 murder of his ex-girlfriend. Authorities say Danelo Cavalcante, 34, escaped from the Chester County Prison in suburban Philadelphia Thursday morning, the...
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire
During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Aug 25, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Officers are all on administrative leave following Wednesday's drama, which left a suspect dead
- At least 75 police officers have been placed on leave following a shootout with a man in Pittsburgh who allegedly fired on officers serving an eviction notice. The man died of a gunshot wound Wednesday following a 6.5-hour standoff, but not before hundreds if not thousands of bullets were...
6th Person Dies in
Horrific House Explosion
Aug 17, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
6th Person Dies in Horrific House Explosion
But another, Casey Clontz, lived long enough to call his wife
- A sixth person caught up in the explosion that leveled a home in Plum, Pennsylvania, over the weekend has died. Paul Oravitz, 56, died Wednesday in a Pittsburgh hospital, where he was taken in critical condition following Saturday's blast, with burns across much of his body. His wife, Heather...
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker
Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
Aug 15, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
17-year-old nabbed in Philadelphia was allegedly testing devices, communicating with terrorists
- A 17-year-old "aspiring terrorist" is facing multiple state felony charges in Pennsylvania after he was found to be communicating with a foreign terrorist group while building a weapon of mass destruction, officials said Monday. At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the unnamed teen "was...
House Explosion Kills 5
Aug 13, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
House Explosion Kills 5
57 firefighters suffer minor injuries after people are trapped in debris
- Five people were found dead after a house explosion in western Pennsylvania that destroyed three structures and damaged at least a dozen others, authorities said Sunday. Plum Borough Police Chief Lanny Conley said the bodies of four adults and one adolescent were recovered after the blast shortly before 10:30am...
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
Synagogue Shooter Is
Given Death Sentence
Aug 2, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooter Is Given Death Sentence
Robert Bowers killed 11 people in Pittsburgh in 2018, the nation's deadliest antisemitic attack
- The gunman who stormed a synagogue in the heart of Pittsburgh's Jewish community and killed 11 worshippers will be sentenced to death for perpetrating the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history. The same federal jury that convicted 50-year-old truck driver Robert Bowers on 63 criminal counts recommended Wednesday that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.