Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Assistant DA Has Theory on
Kohberger Waiving Extradition
Jan 4, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Assistant DA Has Theory on Kohberger Waiving Extradition
He thinks Bryan Kohberger wants to know what's in court documents
- The man accused of killing four University of Idaho students in November is being moved from Pennsylvania to Idaho to face first-degree murder and burglary charges. The AP reports officials on Wednesday morning confirmed Bryan Kohberger left a Pennsylvania jail in state police custody, though precise details of his transfer...
Couple Said to
After Baby Dies
Dec 30, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Couple Said to Reject Modern Meds Charged After Baby Dies
Cops: Pennsylvania mom didn't call 911 when newborn started 'turning blue'; now, involuntary manslaughter charges
- A Pennsylvania couple who say they don't believe in conventional medicine and failed to take their ailing newborn son to the hospital are now facing involuntary manslaughter charges after the infant died. NBC News cites a release from the office of state Attorney General Josh Shapiro that lays out...
Pitt Students Accused
of Abusing Cadavers
Dec 28, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Pitt Students Accused of Abusing Cadavers
The school says such allegations are 'extremely rare'
- Students in an anatomy lab class at the University of Pittsburgh were taught about handling cadavers in a respectful manner, but two students allegedly went on to do the opposite. The
reports Amay Gupta and Sonel Jimenez, both 19, were charged this month with one count each of...
Firefighters Killed Fighting
Pennsylvania House Fire
Dec 9, 2022 1:41 AM CST
Firefighters Killed Fighting Pennsylvania House Fire
Body of man who lived in the home was also found outside
- Two firefighters died responding to a house fire Wednesday in rural eastern Pennsylvania where a man's body was found outside, state police said. The New Tripoli Fire Company members who lost their lives were identified as Assistant Fire Chief Zachary Paris, 36, and Marvin Gruber, 59, Pennsylvania State Police...
Murdered 'Boy in the Box'
ID'd 65 Years Later
Dec 8, 2022 11:44 AM CST
Murdered 'Boy in the Box' ID'd 65 Years Later
Philadelphia cops hope for 'avalanche of tips' in cold case murder of Joseph Augustus Zarelli
- For 65 years, Philadelphia police have worked to identify a boy found dead—beaten and malnourished—inside a cardboard box left in a wooded area in the northeastern part of the city on Feb. 25, 1957. Thanking the many people who've worked on the investigation over the decades, Philadelphia...
Police: Teenager Charged After
Showing Homicide Victim Online
Nov 28, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Police: Teenager Charged After Showing Homicide Victim Online
16-year-old suspect texted for help disposing of girl's body, court documents say
- A Pennsylvania teenager has been charged with homicide after police say he revealed in an Instagram video chat that he'd killed someone and showed the victim's legs covered in blood. A woman who said her daughter had received the video call reported it to Bensalem Township police on...
in Tiff With
Nov 19, 2022 11:30 AM CST
NBA Star Flings Ladder in Tiff With Arena Staffer
Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo lost his cool in confrontation after game in Philly
- Milwaukee star Giannis Antetokounmpo argued with an arena worker and flung a ladder away from a basket, sending it toppling over as he tried to shoot practice free throws after the Bucks' 110-102 loss to Philadelphia on Friday night. After going 4 for 15 from the line, Antetokounmpo returned to...
Escapes Potential Danger
Nov 18, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Quick-Thinking 10-Year-Old Escapes Potential Danger
Pennsylvania's Sammy Green, followed by stranger, asked store clerk to pose as mom
- A 10-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl in Pennsylvania are getting praise for quick thinking that thwarted a potentially dangerous situation. Sammy Green says he was walking home from school in Pottstown on Nov. 11 when he noticed a stranger following him for several blocks. The woman then began asking questions,...
5 Days After Losing
by 14 Points,
Nov 14, 2022 7:45 AM CST
5 Days After Losing by 14 Points, Gov Candidate Concedes
2020 election skeptic Doug Mastriano lost to Josh Shapiro in Pa. governor's race
- A candidate for governor who made a name for himself denying the outcome of the 2020 election has conceded his own defeat in Pennsylvania. Republican Doug Mastriano, backed by former President Trump, officially threw in the towel Sunday night, five days after the election he lost by 14 points, reports...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
Dead Democrat Wins Race
Nov 10, 2022 12:06 AM CST
Dead Democrat Wins Race in Pennsylvania
Anthony 'Tony' DeLuca, state's longest-serving state representative, died last month
- Anthony “Tony” DeLuca died last month, in the middle of his re-election race—which he won anyway, by a huge margin. DeLuca, 85 and the longest-serving state representative in Pennsylvania, died of lymphoma less than two weeks after the deadline to change the ballot, the
reports. He was...
John Fetterman Wins
Pennsylvania Senate Race
Nov 9, 2022 1:04 AM CST
John Fetterman Wins Pennsylvania Senate Race
Media outlets are calling the race for Fetterman over Dr. Mehmet Oz
- Nobody expected one of election night's biggest races—Democrat John Fetterman vs. Republican Mehmet Oz for the Senate in Pennsylvania—to be called early, given how close the polls had been. The stakes are huge, of course, with control of the Senate potentially in the balance. About the only...
3 Presidents Rally Pennsylvania
Nov 5, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
3 Presidents Rally Pennsylvania
Biden, Trump, Obama make push before Tuesday's elections
- One current and two former US presidents campaigned in Pennsylvania on Saturday, reflecting the importance both parties place on the election there Tuesday. President Biden and former President Barack Obama appeared together and separately at rallies for the Democratic slate, including Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, the Senate nominee, and Attorney...
From Big Name
Nov 4, 2022 5:31 AM CDT
Fetterman Gets Endorsement From Big Name
Oprah Winfrey tells listeners to vote for him over Mehmet Oz
- TV icon Oprah Winfrey on Thursday endorsed Democrat John Fetterman in Pennsylvania's hotly contested Senate race and rejected Republican Dr. Mehmet Oz, whom she'd helped launch to stardom nearly two decades ago when she brought him on her popular daytime talk show as a regular guest. Until now,...
Court: Don't Count Mail Ballots
Lacking Right Date on Envelope
Nov 2, 2022 4:27 PM CDT
Court: Don't Count Mail Ballots Lacking Right Date on Envelope
Republicans win at Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- In a victory for Republicans, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court told state election officials on Tuesday not to count mail-in ballots that don't have the correct date on the envelope. The ruling could make the difference in close races, potentially deciding control of Congress in next week's midterm elections,...
Dr. Oz Mocked After
Nov 2, 2022 1:27 AM CDT
Dr. Oz Mocked After 'Atlantic Coast' Comment
Pennsylvania is not on the Atlantic coast
- Dr. Mehmet Oz has long come under scrutiny over the question of whether he's actually a "carpetbagger" from New Jersey running for Senate in neighboring Pennsylvania, and his latest comment isn't helping much with that issue. Speaking with Sean Hannity on Fox News Monday, Oz said, "...
Oct 31, 2022 10:34 AM CDT
New Poll Assesses 4 Key Senate Races
Democrats lead in 3, including Pennsylvania, and are deadlocked in Nevada, per 'NYT' data
- The midterms are just eight days away, and new polls continue to roll out—including a major one from the
New York Times
and Siena College. It looks at four key Senate races and finds that Democrats hold slim leads in three, with the last one deadlocked.
Under Pennsylvania Soil,
Remnants of a POW Camp
Oct 28, 2022 7:35 AM CDT
Under Pennsylvania Soil, Remnants of a POW Camp
Researchers say they've found remnants of Camp Security in Yorktown, Pa.
- Researchers say they've solved a decades-old riddle this week by finding remnants of a stockade, and therefore the site of a prison camp in York, Pa., that housed British soldiers for nearly two years during the American Revolutionary War. The location of Camp Security was thought to have been...
Oct 28, 2022 1:34 AM CDT
Ronna McDaniel Mocks Fetterman, Biden Over Speaking Abilities
RNC chair made the same joke twice during interview
- Ronna McDaniel, chair of the Republican National Committee, did not have anything nice to say when it came to John Fetterman, President Biden, and their respective speaking abilities. During an interview with syndicated radio host Hugh Hewitt, the subject of Biden's plans to appear at a campaign event Friday...
Convicted Cop Killer:
Prosecutors Messed With Jury
Oct 26, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Convicted Cop Killer: Prosecutors Messed With Jury
Mumia Abu-Jamal's retrial request goes before judge in Philadelphia
- A judge on Wednesday will review a retrial request from a prominent former member of the Black Panthers, imprisoned since 1982 for the murder of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. The request is based on fresh evidence Mumia Abu-Jamal says backs his long-held assertion that he was framed. His conviction...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.