Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Israel-Hamas Truce Expires
Stories 21 - 40 |
Man's GoPro Ends Up
Filming His Fatal Drowning
Jul 19, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Man's GoPro Ends Up Filming His Fatal Drowning
Alaska man's body has not yet been found in lake where he disappeared
- An Alaska man inadvertently filmed his own drowning on a glacial lake with a GoPro camera mounted on his helmet, but authorities who recovered the camera have not yet found his body, officials said Tuesday. Alaska State Troopers said teams would continue to search Mendenhall Lake for the body of...
Erupting Alaska Volcano
Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Jul 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Erupting Alaska Volcano Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Pilots warned about Shishaldin Volcano
- An ongoing eruption of a remote volcano in Alaska's Aleutian Islands produced an ash cloud so large Tuesday warnings were sent to pilots about potentially dangerous conditions. The ash cloud with an initial height of around 5.5 miles was drifting south-southeast from Shishaldin Volcano, the Alaska Volcano Observatory...
This Is the Most
Patriotic State in America
Jul 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Patriotic State in America
Virginia is for lovers (of the US), per WalletHub, while Arkansas needs to muster up more affection
- It's the biggest holiday of the American summer, and flags are waving. As Americans light their grills and prepare to watch the Fourth's fireworks, WalletHub susses out which states are the most patriotic. To figure out where citizens are most likely to be decked out in their red,...
Pilot of Discovery Channel
Fame Killed in Alaskan Crash
Jun 18, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
Pilot of Discovery Channel Fame Killed in Alaskan Crash
Jim Tweto was a former star of 'Flying Wild Alaska'
- Bush pilot Jim Tweto, known for his starring role in the Discovery Channel’s
Flying Wild Alaska
series, was killed along with a hunting and fishing guide from Idaho when their small plane crashed shortly after takeoff, Alaska State Troopers said. Tweto’s family-run rural aviation business in Unalakleet was...
3 Dead, 2 Missing After
Family's Alaska Journey
Jun 2, 2023 12:37 PM CDT
3 Dead, 2 Missing After Family's Alaska Journey
They were in a boat in stormy seas
- An Alaska fishing adventure became a nightmare for a family of eight when disaster struck one of the two boats they chartered over the Memorial Day weekend, leaving three people dead and two more missing despite a desperate search over hundreds of square miles of ocean, per the AP . The...
Suspected Chinese Spies
Keep Giving the Same Excuse
May 31, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
Suspected Chinese Spies Keep Giving the Same Excuse
They claim to be lost tourists in emerging trend with cases in Florida and now Alaska
- Chinese citizens claiming to be lost tourists have been caught trying to access military facilities in Alaska in recent years as part of a suspected spy operation that appears to extend well beyond the Last Frontier,
reports. Multiple US soldiers tell the outlet of Chinese attempts to learn...
This Heart's Record Trip May Be
Game-Changer for Transplants
May 24, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
This Heart's Record Trip May Be Game-Changer for Transplants
Organ was transported 2.5K miles for transplant from Alaska to Boston, thanks to a special cooler
- When it comes to heart transplants, doctors don't want to see more than four to six hours pass from the time the organ is taken out of one body and moved into another. But one heart recently spent more than seven hours in transit, and traveled more than 2,...
Rescuers Can Only Watch
as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
May 23, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Rescuers Can Only Watch as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
Illinois' Zachary Porter got trapped while in Alaska
- Authorities in Alaska tried without luck to free a 20-year-old man who'd become stuck waist-deep in mud flats on Sunday and had to watch as he was drowned by the incoming tide. Zachary Porter of Lake Bluff, Illinois, had been walking with friends on the Turnagain Arm mud flats...
NPS Worker Dies
While Skiing in Denali
May 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
NPS Worker Dies While Skiing in Denali
Witness says Eric Walter triggered avalanche in Alaska preserve
- A National Park Service staffer died last week in Denali National Park & Preserve, in an avalanche he himself may have triggered. In a Friday statement cited by CBS News , the NPS reports that Eric Walter was killed Thursday while taking part in some backcountry skiing on a "north-facing...
After 12 Deaths in Chopper
Crashes, an Army 'Stand-Down'
Apr 29, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
After 12 Deaths in Chopper Crashes, an Army 'Stand-Down'
Aviators grounded until they undergo training, after 2 crashes in a month's time in Alaska, Kentucky
- The US Army has grounded aviation units for training after 12 soldiers died within the last month in helicopter crashes in Alaska and Kentucky, the military branch announced Friday. The suspension of air operations was effective immediately, with units grounded until they complete the training, said Army spokesperson Lt. Col....
3 Dead as Army
Apr 28, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
3 Dead as Army Helicopters Collide
Apache choppers were returning to Alaska's Fort Wainwright from training flight
- The US Army suffered "an incredible loss" Thursday when two Apache helicopters from Alaska's Fort Wainwright collided while returning from a training mission, killing three soldiers and injuring a fourth. There were two soldiers on each of the helicopters, which collided midair near Healy, about 100 road miles...
No, That's Not a Portal to
Another Universe Over Alaska
Apr 18, 2023 8:18 AM CDT
No, That's Not a Portal to Another Universe Over Alaska
Sky spiral was a result of sunlight reflecting off excess fuel from SpaceX rocket, says expert
- Northern light enthusiasts got a surprise mixed in with the green bands of light dancing in the Alaska skies: A light baby blue spiral resembling a galaxy appeared amid the aurora for a few minutes. The cause early Saturday was a little more mundane than an alien invasion or the...
Alaskan Dog Went on
Quite the Adventure
Apr 13, 2023 4:56 PM CDT
Alaskan Dog Went on Quite the Adventure
Australian shepherd Nanuq thought to have traveled 166 miles across sea ice
- Alaska's Mandy Iworrigan was amazed when one of her family's lost dogs turned up before her eyes, nearly 40 miles from home. Iworrigan lives in Gambell on St. Lawrence Island—it's about as close as you can get to Russia while still in the US. She was...
2 Years After Billionaire's
Death, His Widow Sues
Apr 3, 2023 1:26 PM CDT
2 Years After Billionaire's Death, His Widow Sues
Petr Kellner, 56, of Czech Republic died while on heli-skiing trip
- The investigation into the crash that killed Czech billionaire Petr Kellner in 2021 still hasn't been completed, but there is a new development: His heirs have sued over what happened in Alaska's backcountry during a heli-skiing trip. In a suit filed just ahead of the two-year statute of...
67 Years Later, Alaskans
Get Their Heroism Medals
Apr 2, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
67 Years Later, Alaskans Get Their Heroism Medals
National Guardsmen rescued injured members of a downed Navy plane
- Bruce Boolowon, then a lean 20-year-old, and a group of friends were hunting for murre eggs in a walrus skin boat on a remote Alaska island in the Bering Strait when they saw a crippled airplane flying low. “Something was wrong,” Boolowon, now 87, recalled of that day...
Iditarod Scion Finally
Wins on 16th Try
Mar 15, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
Iditarod Scion Finally Wins on 16th Try
Ryan Redington, 40, is grandson of race's co-founder
- Ryan Redington on Tuesday won the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, bringing his six dogs off the Bering Sea ice to the finish line in Nome. Redington, 40, is the grandson of Joe Redington Sr., who helped co-found the arduous race across Alaska that was first held in 1973 and...
Feb 23, 2023 2:46 PM CST
Lawmaker Censured for 'Despicable' Child Abuse Remark
Alaska Rep. David Eastman suggested at hearing there may be a cost 'benefit' if child dies from abuse
- Very few people would try to find some sort of silver lining in cases where a child died from abuse. Rep. David Eastman is apparently one of those people, however, and he's now taking flak for his comments made earlier this week in that vein. Per the
An Innocent Walk With the Dog,
Then Came the Moose
Feb 21, 2023 10:55 AM CST
An Innocent Walk With the Dog, Then Came the Moose
Kate Timmons was 'in the right place, at the right time' to assist dog walker Tracy Hansen
- An Alaska woman is back walking her dog—quite a feat considering she was kicked in the head by a moose on a recent outing. Tracy Hansen of Anchorage was strolling with her dog, Gunner, along their usual route on Thursday when a woman in a passing car spotted a...
Her $9M to Kill,
and She Did
Feb 20, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Cops: Internet Imposter Offered Her $9M to Kill, and She Did
Denali Brehmer pleads guilty to killing Alaska teen in catfishing scheme
- Back in 2019, five teens in Alaska were charged in the murder of another teenager. At the time, the big question was why, per the
Anchorage Daily News
. Now, authorities say they have the answer, and it involves a jarring example of internet catfishing. Last week, Denali Brehmer, now 22,...
Off Alaska, More
Activity in the Sky
Feb 15, 2023 6:52 AM CST
Off Alaska, More Activity in the Sky
NORAD says it intercepted 4 Russian fighter aircraft in international airspace that didn't pose threat
- On Friday, an unidentified object was shot down off the coast of Alaska; on Monday, there was even more activity in the air near the Last Frontier—this time, a group of Russian fighter jets and strategic bombers intercepted by the US military in international airspace, according to the North...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.