Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sarah Palin Opponent
Exits House Race
Jun 21, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Sarah Palin Opponent Exits House Race
She'll face 3 others in the August special election
Al Gross, an independent running for Alaska's only US House seat, said late Monday that he is ending his campaign, the AP reports. Gross in a statement said it was “with great hope for Alaska’s future” that he has decided to end his campaign. He said...
Alaska Kids Were
Given Floor Sealant
Instead of Milk
Jun 16, 2022 12:49 PM CDT
Alaska Kids Were Given Floor Sealant Instead of Milk
District blames mix-up at storage site
- Police in Juneau, Alaska, are investigating an apparent mix-up that caused 12 kids and two adults to be served floor sealant instead of milk. The school district says the sealant was served with breakfast meals at a summer day care program at the Sit Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School,...
Has Big Lead
in Alaska Primary
Jun 12, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Sarah Palin Has Big Lead in Alaska Primary
Voters are whittling down list of 48 candidates
- Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin leads in early results from Saturday's special primary for the state's only US House seat, as voters whittled down the list of 48 candidates running for the position that was held for 49 years by the late US Rep. Don Young. The early...
Star Is a Bear Poacher
May 13, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Star Is a Bear Poacher
Blaine Anthony accused of illegally killing bears in Alaska park
- The "Bear Whisperer" is a bear poacher, according to federal investigators. Harvey Neil Anthony, star and producer of a hunting show called the
, is accused of illegally hunting bears in a national park in Alaska, the
Anchorage Daily News
reports. The 55-year-old, who goes by the name...
Standing Between Sarah Palin
and Congress: Santa Claus
Apr 27, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Standing Between Sarah Palin and Congress: Santa Claus
Bernie Sanders supporter from North Pole, Alaska, wants to 'legislate for greater good'
- If Sarah Palin wants a seat in Congress , she'll first have to get past Santa Claus. That's the legal name of a city council member in—where else?—North Pole, Alaska, who's one of almost 50 people battling Palin for the state's only congressional seat. As...
Palin May Have a Problem
in Alaska—Fellow Alaskans
Apr 17, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Palin May Have a Problem in Alaska—Fellow Alaskans
She is running for Congress, but two national stories suggest locals aren't thrilled
- Sarah Palin is running for Alaska's lone congressional seat , but she might have a problem if two stories with very similar themes are any indication. "Alaskans are tired of Sarah Palin," declares a headline in Politico , while another in the
reads, "Many Alaskans are...
'Immediate Action' Called for
on Alaska Soldier Suicides
Apr 14, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
'Immediate Action' Called for on Alaska Soldier Suicides
Lawmakers are alarmed by 17 deaths, confirmed or suspected to be suicides, reported in 2021
- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is asking the US Army to take "immediate action" to address a suicide crisis in Alaska that they say claimed the lives of 17 soldiers last year. There were seven soldier suicides in Alaska in 2020 and eight in 2019, per the
a Big Way
Apr 2, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Sarah Palin Is Reentering Politics, in a Big Way
Ex-Alaska governor is vying for seat in US House of Representatives left open by late Don Young
- There were April Fools' jokes aplenty on Friday, but news from Sarah Palin doesn't appear to have been one of them. The former Alaska governor and vice presidential candidate announced she's running for her state's only seat in the US House of Representatives, a seat left open...
He Was a
Almost as Long
as His State
Was a State
Mar 19, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
He Was a Congressman Almost as Long as His State Was a State
Don Young of Alaska, longest-serving member of House of Representatives, dies at 88
- Alaska gets one member in the US House of Representatives, and for most of the time that it's been a state, that member has been Don Young. On Friday, the Last Frontier bid farewell to Young, 88, the dean of the House as its longest-serving member, who died while...
Alaska Ice Broke Loose,
Carried Man Out to Sea
Mar 1, 2022 4:02 AM CST
Alaska Ice Broke Loose, Carried Man Out to Sea
45-year-old clung to block of drifting ice for nearly an hour before he was rescued
- An Alaska man was walking along the shoreline near Anchor Point on Saturday morning with his girlfriend when the ice he was walking on broke free and drifted into Cook Inlet, taking him along with it. Amazingly, Jamie Snedden clung to the ice for nearly an hour, was rescued, and...
Giant Opal Kept in Linen Closet
Sells at Auction for $125K
Feb 20, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Giant Opal Kept in Linen Closet Sells at Auction for $125K
Sellers' target price for 'Americus Australis' was $250K to $350K
: One of the largest opals in the world sold at auction Sunday for $125,000—the minimum the auction company had set for bids. That price was a "calculated risk," the Alaska auction house said, intended to be low enough to draw heavy interest from prospective buyers....
Iditarod Rookie Describes 'Most
Horrific 24 Hours of My Life'
Feb 8, 2022 4:48 PM CST
Iditarod Rookie Describes 'Most Horrific 24 Hours of My Life'
Bull moose attacked Bridgett Watkins' dogs for nearly an hour during a training run
- A woman training for the Iditarod in Alaska on Friday says she and her sled dogs withstood a harrowing, hour-long attack—not by a bear, but a bull moose. The state's Department of Fish and Wildlife says more moose-related injuries are logged each year than those inflicted by bear,...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Just Got Even Weirder
Dec 30, 2021 12:53 PM CST
Alaska's Weather Just Got Even Weirder
After record-breaking highs, state is now experiencing 'Icemaggedon' from warm moisture
- Record-high temperatures in Alaska over the holiday weekend doesn't mean locals have pulled out their bathing suits. In fact, Fairbanks and other areas are now experiencing what Alaska Public Media calls a "weather roller coaster," with snowstorms followed by heavy rains that are wreaking havoc across...
Alaska Issues Alert on
Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Nov 18, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Alaska Issues Alert on Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Wind has whipped up deposits from Novarupta
- Volcano scientists issued an alert Wednesday, warning that a cloud of ash—from an eruption more than century ago—was headed toward Alaska’s Kodiak Island. The ash is from the powerful 1912 eruption of Novarupta, a volcano on the Alaska Peninsula that dropped volcanic ash that is still visible...
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass.
In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Nov 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass. In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Alaska's Murkowski launches 2022 reelection campaign, with Trump endorsee Tshibaka looming
- Only one of seven Republican senators who found Donald Trump guilty in his second impeachment trial is up for reelection in 2022, and she's now officially made her bid, with a challenger who's been endorsed by the former president. Lisa Murkowski filed on Friday to run for her...
With Single Kick,
Man Survives Attack
From 500Lb. Bear
Oct 26, 2021 8:34 AM CDT
With Single Kick, Man Survives Attack From 500Lb. Bear
Unidentified cyclist suffered only one bite from brown bear in Alaska
- An armed cyclist suddenly accosted by a 500-pound brown bear in Alaska survived despite only protesting with a single kick. The male told authorities that he was riding his bike along a riverbed in Cantwell around 9:30am on Oct. 19 when he spotted the bear sprinting toward him at...
Alaska Lawmaker Who Refused
to Mask Up Tests Positive
Oct 15, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
Alaska Lawmaker Who Refused to Mask Up Tests Positive
State senator Lora Reinbold says she's taking ivermectin
An Alaska lawmaker's COVID drama just took another turn. Republican State Sen. Lora Reinbold, who bucked mask rules and was banned from Alaska Airlines, has tested positive for the virus, reports the
Anchorage Daily News
. The 57-year-old says she's recuperating at home with the help of remedies...
Into the Wild
Can Now Be
Oct 12, 2021 4:36 PM CDT
Into the Wild
Bus Can Now Be Viewed Safely
As it undergoes preservation work at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
The abandoned bus made famous in
Into the Wild
can now safely be viewed at the University of Alaska Fairbanks while it undergoes preservation work. The bus was moved to the university’s engineering facility last week while it's being prepared for outdoor display at the Museum of...
Fat Bear Week
Has Its Winner
Oct 7, 2021 7:11 AM CDT
Fat Bear Week Has Its Winner
It's 480 Otis, for the 4th time since 2014 in Alaska's Katmai National Park
- It's "get ready for hibernation" time in Katmai National Park, which means it's cram your maw full of salmon if you're a bear to put on enough weight to get you through the winter. Which also means it's time for Fat Bear Week, the annual...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.