Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van
Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Sep 19, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Mama bear and cub bust into vehicle outside military base in Anchorage for some doughnuts
- A mama bear and her cub went a little
on some doughnuts in Anchorage last week. Candice Sergeant, the manager of a Krispy Kreme store in the Alaskan city's Muldoon neighborhood, tells CBS Chicago that she was working her shift last Tuesday when she got an "...
Piloted Doomed Plane
Sep 14, 2023 8:18 AM CDT
Congresswoman's Husband Piloted Doomed Plane
It took rescuers hours to reach crash site in Alaska where Buzzy Peltola died
- Rep. Mary Peltola's husband, commercial pilot Eugene "Buzzy" Peltola Jr., had just dropped off a hunter in a remote area of Alaska when he took to the sky only to crash . The single-engine Piper PA-18 Super Cub he was flying crashed in mountainous terrain 64 miles northeast of...
Husband Dies in Plane Crash
Sep 13, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Alaska Congresswoman's Husband Dies in Plane Crash
Democrat Mary Peltola is state's sole US House rep
- Mary Peltola—Alaska's sole representative in the US House of Representatives—lost her husband early Wednesday following a plane crash, her office said in a statement posted to X . It described Eugene Peltola, the former regional director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for Alaska, as "one of...
Alaskan Hiker Rescued
Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Sep 12, 2023 2:56 PM CDT
Alaskan Hiker Rescued Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Observers alerted rangers in Katmai National Park to hiker asking for help
- A hiker in remote Alaska used his wits to summon help in rough weather. As NPR reports, the unidentified man showed up on the live-stream of a wildlife camera on Dumpling Mountain in Katmai National Park. He approached the camera twice, once to mouth the words "help me" and...
2 Miles Deep in the Ocean,
a 'Delightfully Strange Find'
Sep 9, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
2 Miles Deep in the Ocean, a 'Delightfully Strange Find'
'It's like the beginning of a horror movie,' one scientist said of odd 'golden egg' found off Alaska
- An underwater mission in the Gulf of Alaska to explore deep-sea habitats led researchers to make an unexpected discovery: a strange gold-colored orb submerged 2 miles deep on the ocean floor. Per the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration , the find was made Aug. 30 when the Okeanos Explorer found, "...
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
Sep 7, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
'We have a responsibility,' president says of Interior Dept. move in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- As then-President Trump's days in the White House came to a close, an Alaskan state development agency was granted a slew of oil and gas leases that ended decades of a drilling moratorium in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This week, President Biden's Department of the Interior nixed...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Alaska Lists Names, Data on
280 Missing Indigenous People
Aug 28, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Alaska Lists Names, Data on 280 Missing Indigenous People
Report is first broad effort to understand disappearances of Alaska Natives and American Indians
- Law enforcement has prepared a first-of-its-kind report detailing missing Alaska Natives and American Indian people in Alaska. The Alaska Department of Public Safety last week released the Missing Indigenous Persons Report, which includes the names of 280 people, dates of their last contact, and whether police believe the disappearance was...
After 8 Days, Missing Pair
Found Near Alaska Resort
Aug 19, 2023 9:48 AM CDT
After 8 Days, Missing Pair Found Near Alaska Resort
Visitors from Tennessee had last been seen hiking in area on Aug. 10
- Two people from Tennessee who had been missing for more than a week were found alive Friday near the resort where they were last seen. Alaska State Troopers say 50-year-old Jonas Bare was found by hikers 200 yards from the Chena Hot Springs Resort, around 60 miles northeast of Fairbanks,...
Cops: Soldier Killed Wife,
Reported Her Missing
Aug 14, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Soldier Killed Wife, Reported Her Missing
Zarrius Hildabrand joined scores of people in Anchorage search
- A 21-year-old soldier in Alaska allegedly killed his wife and hid her body before reporting her missing. Zarrius Hildabrand faces charges including first-degree murder and tampering with evidence in the death of Saria Hildabrand, a 21-year-old medic with the Alaska National Guard, NBC News reports. He appeared in court on...
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw
Is Turning Into a Threat
Aug 7, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw Is Turning Into a Threat
Record flooding related to Mendenhall Glacier hits capital city of Juneau
- Three words no Alaskan wants to hear strung together: "record glacier flooding." But that's the current reality for residents of the capital city of Juneau, thanks to a famous glacier that sits above the city, reports Axios . The
frames the big picture after the weekend...
Man's GoPro Ends Up
Filming His Fatal Drowning
Jul 19, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Man's GoPro Ends Up Filming His Fatal Drowning
Alaska man's body has not yet been found in lake where he disappeared
- An Alaska man inadvertently filmed his own drowning on a glacial lake with a GoPro camera mounted on his helmet, but authorities who recovered the camera have not yet found his body, officials said Tuesday. Alaska State Troopers said teams would continue to search Mendenhall Lake for the body of...
Erupting Alaska Volcano
Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Jul 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Erupting Alaska Volcano Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Pilots warned about Shishaldin Volcano
- An ongoing eruption of a remote volcano in Alaska's Aleutian Islands produced an ash cloud so large Tuesday warnings were sent to pilots about potentially dangerous conditions. The ash cloud with an initial height of around 5.5 miles was drifting south-southeast from Shishaldin Volcano, the Alaska Volcano Observatory...
This Is the Most
Patriotic State in America
Jul 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Patriotic State in America
Virginia is for lovers (of the US), per WalletHub, while Arkansas needs to muster up more affection
- It's the biggest holiday of the American summer, and flags are waving. As Americans light their grills and prepare to watch the Fourth's fireworks, WalletHub susses out which states are the most patriotic. To figure out where citizens are most likely to be decked out in their red,...
Pilot of Discovery Channel
Fame Killed in Alaskan Crash
Jun 18, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
Pilot of Discovery Channel Fame Killed in Alaskan Crash
Jim Tweto was a former star of 'Flying Wild Alaska'
- Bush pilot Jim Tweto, known for his starring role in the Discovery Channel’s
Flying Wild Alaska
series, was killed along with a hunting and fishing guide from Idaho when their small plane crashed shortly after takeoff, Alaska State Troopers said. Tweto’s family-run rural aviation business in Unalakleet was...
3 Dead, 2 Missing After
Family's Alaska Journey
Jun 2, 2023 12:37 PM CDT
3 Dead, 2 Missing After Family's Alaska Journey
They were in a boat in stormy seas
- An Alaska fishing adventure became a nightmare for a family of eight when disaster struck one of the two boats they chartered over the Memorial Day weekend, leaving three people dead and two more missing despite a desperate search over hundreds of square miles of ocean, per the AP . The...
Suspected Chinese Spies
Keep Giving the Same Excuse
May 31, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
Suspected Chinese Spies Keep Giving the Same Excuse
They claim to be lost tourists in emerging trend with cases in Florida and now Alaska
- Chinese citizens claiming to be lost tourists have been caught trying to access military facilities in Alaska in recent years as part of a suspected spy operation that appears to extend well beyond the Last Frontier,
reports. Multiple US soldiers tell the outlet of Chinese attempts to learn...
This Heart's Record Trip May Be
Game-Changer for Transplants
May 24, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
This Heart's Record Trip May Be Game-Changer for Transplants
Organ was transported 2.5K miles for transplant from Alaska to Boston, thanks to a special cooler
- When it comes to heart transplants, doctors don't want to see more than four to six hours pass from the time the organ is taken out of one body and moved into another. But one heart recently spent more than seven hours in transit, and traveled more than 2,...
Rescuers Can Only Watch
as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
May 23, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Rescuers Can Only Watch as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
Illinois' Zachary Porter got trapped while in Alaska
- Authorities in Alaska tried without luck to free a 20-year-old man who'd become stuck waist-deep in mud flats on Sunday and had to watch as he was drowned by the incoming tide. Zachary Porter of Lake Bluff, Illinois, had been walking with friends on the Turnagain Arm mud flats...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.